PDA

View Full Version : Best 1911

SFgiants105
09-10-2010, 5:56 PM
After looking at cz75s, sig p226s, and pt92s, I have finally decided on a 1911.

If possible, I want to hear from people who own many different brands of 1911s, or at least have some good friends with many different 1911s.
My price range is below $1000.
In terms of features, most important being 1:

1. reliability
2. trigger pull
3. sights
4. accuracy
5. no ILS (internal locking system)

I really like the prospects of the new Remington 1911 r1. I bought their AR and am really pleased.
Rock River looks pretty solid, too.

As far as getting custom work from SA done on their GI model, do you get it done before or after you order the gun, or both? If I could do it afterwards, I would like to so I can gradually customize it.

Any thoughts?

Astig Boy
09-10-2010, 7:31 PM
I own a few, and have friends that own several also.
To be honest, in the real world of 1911, any thing below $1000 has a lot to be desired. Sub-$1000 1911s are just barely breaking in to the semi-custom area. For a new owner, if you can, spend at the very least $1200...$1500 and youll be a happy camper.
You can buy a base model SAI GI45 or a RIA, they are awesome base model out the box 1911s...but for a new 1911 owner who wants to customize, I wouldn't recommend going that route. You can mod the gun yourself, but it will be just a 1911 with loose or stiff parts thrown on to it...this is what turns a lot of new 1911 owners off when they get a base model first and customize. I believe SAI would laugh at you if you asked them to customize their basement 1911....too much time, effort, and money for them to bother with. Theyll probably just tell you to buy one of their semi-customs($1200+), since it would come up to the same amount of money from what they charge.
GL! :D

tiko
09-10-2010, 7:34 PM
SW 1911 or Kimber Custom II, all options out of the box, do not have to get customized.

maddoggie13
09-10-2010, 7:35 PM
Kimber, Wilson or Springfield...

OneSevenDeuce
09-10-2010, 7:49 PM
Remington R1 is not on the roster. :(

Legasat
09-10-2010, 7:52 PM
Dan Wesson makes some awesome 1911's

I'm just sayin....

Black Majik
09-10-2010, 7:56 PM
No ILS would be everything except Springfield Armory.

Do you mean firing pin safety? That would rule out Colt, Kimber, SIG, and S&W.

Leaves you with Rock Island and Dan Wesson.

Swoop
09-10-2010, 7:58 PM
Spend 1100 and get a MC Operator

Blk04SR
09-10-2010, 8:00 PM
If your budget is 1k, its pretty much pick your poison...there are a lot of different brands of 1911.

x1 for Kimber, Wilson, SAI!

dont forget about Para...if you can find used Nighthawk, Les Baer, and higher end Wilson's...

i1800collect
09-10-2010, 8:16 PM
Wilson...

x1 for ..Wilson, SAI!

used Nighthawk, Les Baer, and higher end Wilson's...

Seriously? Where are you seeing used/new semi-customs for under $1k?

stphnman20
09-10-2010, 8:18 PM
Kimber
Kimber
Kimber

In that order! lol

i1800collect
09-10-2010, 8:22 PM
I really like the prospects of the new Remington 1911 r1.

Any thoughts?

I recently read a review of the Remington 1911R1 written by Joe Chambers, a well respected 1911smith. He did not have many flattering things to say about the R1 he had a chance to look over. Take it for what it's worth.

http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/viewtopic.php?p=58244#p58244

Hello,

Recently I was on the list with a distributor to get one of these just for my own to play with, test and see what was what. Then, the other day I was at Scheels (a big sporting goods store here) and one of the guys who is a manager there and knows what I do for a living asked me if I would look this new pistol they got in over. It was the new Remington 1911 at $699.00.

As soon as he handed it to me I knew I had to make a call and get my name off that list. I, like many of the other smiths on here, have handled a lot of pistols of all makes and models. I can honestly say, I have never seen a stock gun that was that bad, ever. Personally, I was stunned.

The play in the slide to frame was at least .025"-.030" up and down and about .010" or more side to side. And that's just getting started. The trigger pull was about 8lbs and had three stages that I could feel. The MSH was super loose in the frame, the barrel fit was, well there wasn't even any semblance of barrel fit, although I will say that the throat was not over cut like some of the "customs" I've seen. The frame ramp was typical, narrow for ball only. The parts for the most part looked cheep and were definitely not polished or dressed in any way, not even ground like you see on some production guns. And then there were the casting marks...lots of them. The extractor to firing pin plate fit was egregious at best allowing the extractor to move forward and back about .025". And to boot the plunger tube looked as if it was about to fall off any second. It wasn't loose, yet, but it did have an air gap for oil between it and the frame.

Now, some of you are sitting there thinking to yourselves, "Man, Joe is being a real jerk about this." No, I'm not. I'm simply telling you what I saw first hand. When I asked the manager that had approached me about it he said all the ones they have had come in were in like shape and he was really curious just what I would think. Next to the Remington in the case was a Centurion 1911 for around $550.00. I had already looked it over at his request on a previous visit as well as a couple of GI springers, they were all better than this gun...I told him straight up that I simply could not recommend the Remington to anyone based upon what I saw there. Believe it or not, the last RIA I saw was better and that's saying something.

So, I'll look at one again when I have a chance and I thank the guys there at Scheels for letting me have a chance to take that one apart and check it out because it saved me some money. Personally, to me, it seems a shame. Remington had a chance here to make something worthwhile at a good price point and all I saw was an assembly of ill fitted parts, but then that's just my opinion.

Respectfully,

Shenaniguns
09-10-2010, 8:23 PM
I can give you some of the best, but they're a little over $1k ;)
http://www.louderthanwords.us/

1911Luvr
09-10-2010, 10:09 PM
I have two SA Loadeds and love them. If you were local I'd let you shoot them so you understand how nice they really are. After owning them a little bit I put a some money into them with my gunsmith (one is still being worked up now) and I'll put them up against any out of the box Dan Wesson, etc. as mine still cost less and performs better.

As for ILS, why don't you want it? It qualifies for CA gun lock so the store can't force you to buy one- if they do, make them look it up on the DOJ site like I did, and you'll win as I did! In any case, the ILS can and likely will be removed if you do a trigger job on the gun.

Cyc Wid It
09-10-2010, 10:22 PM
You can remove the ILS and replace it relatively easily. Given your criteria I'd say Springfield or Colt.

halon101
09-10-2010, 10:24 PM
i like my para p14 the double stack fits my hands.
its not fancy, but reliable yes

vta
09-10-2010, 10:25 PM
I have two SA Loadeds and love them. If you were local I'd let you shoot them so you understand how nice they really are. After owning them a little bit I put a some money into them with my gunsmith (one is still being worked up now) and I'll put them up against any out of the box Dan Wesson, etc. as mine still cost less and performs better.

As for ILS, why don't you want it? It qualifies for CA gun lock so the store can't force you to buy one- if they do, make them look it up on the DOJ site like I did, and you'll win as I did! In any case, the ILS can and likely will be removed if you do a trigger job on the gun.

yeah. what he said. for under 1k, SA loaded is hard to beat.

DaveFJ80
09-10-2010, 11:34 PM

Only that they are hard to find right now, and most stores are back ordered for 6-8 months. Unless you find one in the classifieds or fine one on GB and have it shipped to your FFL, then you may want to look to a different route.

I wanted the MC Operator, but instead got a brand new Kimber Custom TLE/RL II for quite a bit less. No regrets and I love the pistol.

corvetteguy
09-11-2010, 5:49 AM
You should check out 1911forums.com. Don't discount Rock Island Armory, they are a great value for a 1911! You can buy one and have it customized for your $1000!

Just my 2cents

David

gschoelles
09-11-2010, 6:24 AM
Just as a thought... You can't customize a carry gun on most permits, they want them factory stock. So I'd say get the best you "want" off the shelf.

Just sayin

Capita159
09-11-2010, 6:27 AM
Remington R1 is not on the roster. :(

It needs to be....

I recently read a review of the Remington 1911R1 written by Joe Chambers, a well respected 1911smith. He did not have many flattering things to say about the R1 he had a chance to look over. Take it for what it's worth.

http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/viewtopic.php?p=58244#p58244

I own a R1 now, Joe Chamber is right about not be flattering.....what do you expect from a gun that has an MSRP of 699 and sells for 600-650 delivered/online? Besides the firing pin safety, "which doesn't bother most 1911 shooters", it knocks SA GI out of the ball park. Also, the R1 is made in the USA ;) It's just not on the stupid CA Roster :confused:

As far as getting custom work from SA done on their GI model, do you get it done before or after you order the gun, or both? If I could do it afterwards, I would like to so I can gradually customize it.

Any thoughts?

If you don't mind paying more money on the long run.....maybe more money than you think, you can customize a SA GI or anything in that matter. But if you have 1K to spare, it's best to start with a SA Loaded. At least the front sight dovetail is cut out, and you won't have to pay a decent smith to cut it for you.

There are Sig Sauer 1911s that goes under 1K. That will be another good buy :cool:

DaveFJ80
09-11-2010, 6:40 AM
Don't discount Rock Island Armory, they are a great value for a 1911! You can buy one and have it customized for your $1000!

I'm not saying that you shouldn't get a RIA 1911, but here's the dilema I recently went through.

I picked up a RIA 1911 Tactical for just under $500 OTD. Afterwards, I would've spent $200 to cerakote the gun for a nicer looking finish, $50 on some good grips, another $50-$100 on a new trigger (I like the 3 hole aluminum look), new recoil spring plug, different color hammer, and non-ambi safety. Then spend about another $100-$150 for some Trijicon or Meprosight night sights installed. Right there is almost $1000, most of which are mainly cosmetic things. But to me, I'd want a gun that I'm happy with and enjoy shooting and looking at (similar to getting a car - you want a car that drives well and is reliable, but also one that you're happy with and you like the looks of it).

So for me, I sold the RIA and picked up a brand new Kimber TLE/RL II for about the same price. It had everything that I wanted on it, including the nice satin black finish. Plus, it had a match-grade trigger and barrel, it felt like it had a little bit tighter tolerances over the RIA when I was pulling back on the slide, and it just felt a little bit better in my hands. Not to mention it had a rail, which IMO was a big plus. I have no plans on doing any upgrades or custom work to it at this time. I'm happy with it as is. Whether all of that is good or bad, or not worth it to others.... it doesn't matter because I'm happy with the choice I made.

Again, I'm not saying that you shouldn't get a RIA 1911. But consider what you plan on doing to it and think about what you could get instead for the same amount of money.

cineski
09-11-2010, 6:48 AM
Buy a Dan Wesson or used Wilson/Ed Brown. Springfields just aren't very refined feeling (at least the Loaded isn't) but the higher end ones are nicer but of course pricier. I know two experienced gunners who recently got Kimber 1911's and they're both jam-o-matics. Never buy a SIG until Ron Cohen is fired. My father in law has a SW1911 and it's built quite nicely and feels nice. However, not a very good trigger out of the box which I read a lot about and the thumb safety is hard to use.

sholling
09-11-2010, 9:00 AM
For under $1000 NIB you have two choices - S&W SW1911 or Springfield Armory Loaded. Both are reliable but the S&W has the better trigger. Both have lifetime warranties. It takes about 5 minutes to remove the springer's ILS.

I'm not a Kimber fan. If a manufacturer doesn't have enough faith in their products to include a decent written warranty then I don't either. I also dislike their delicate Swartz safety deign.

sti2011
09-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Dan Wesson! It has all the things you need out of the box, no modification needed.

Dhena81
09-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Under 1000 without a doubt the Sig GSR there is no MIM parts like a kimber or SA and accurate with a good trigger. I really don't know why people on here don't mention it more probably because they are fanboys to one particular brand when it comes to a 1911.

Shenaniguns
09-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Under 1000 without a doubt the Sig GSR there is no MIM parts like a kimber or SA and accurate with a good trigger. I really don't know why people on here don't mention it more probably because they are fanboys to one particular brand when it comes to a 1911.

I'd never touch a Sig GSR after another calgunners experience of 3 returns to the factory and it still had to be flat out refunded after speaking to the higher ups. Man that was a nightmare and the one time I went with him to test it, it never fired one shot.

sholling
09-11-2010, 3:36 PM
It has nothing to do with being fanboys. I think some are put off by the teething problems that they had the first year or two and the job that they did with customer service. I've heard the teething problems are long gone but I'm not enamored with the non-standard slide.

Now if I were looking for an off-list CCO format the C3 would be on my short list of candidates.

Dhena81
09-11-2010, 3:51 PM
Ok maybe a couple of teething problems like a gen 4 glock like I said though with regards to the slide John Browning himself abandoned the internal extractor himself in his later designed pistols.

I think its an improvement in design unless you have 2000-3000 bucks to spend on a custom designed 1911 but sure it doesn't look as sexy. Is there a reason barely anyone uses an internal extractor now days I think there maybe a couple. I'm not knocking the 1911 by any means I'm just pointing out the fact that for under 1000 dollars the GSR is the best 1911 you can buy period.

bayboydray408
09-11-2010, 4:03 PM
kimbers make the best 1911s ever, nothing else is even close to the quality of a kimber lol

Cyc Wid It
09-11-2010, 4:33 PM
kimbers make the best 1911s ever, nothing else is even close to the quality of a kimber lol

Didn't you make multiple threads complaining about your Kimber, then tried to sell it?

Thanks but no thanks on Kimbers.

Joe'Bronco
09-11-2010, 6:22 PM
I like the way my cheap Llama 1911 shoots... For only $250 i couldn't pass it up.

Gatekeeper
09-11-2010, 6:37 PM
Right out of the box................Kimber

chiselchst
09-11-2010, 9:27 PM
My personal opinion is to avoid both Kimber & Para. Read the 1911forum and see while others are talking about enjoying their 1911's, most of the Para talk is how to make them run. I, and many of my friends, have had unrelaible Para's. Most have been back to Para at least once. Para's are kinda a roll of the dice, and their CS is not well ragarded, to be polite.

Read this thread on Kimbers...(I know many guns have customers with bad experiences, but Kimber seems to have a lot!)
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=537991&highlight=kimber+problems

I'd recco a Dan Wesson PM7 or an SA Loaded. Try & find a loaded with a "NM" leading SN...

sholling
09-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Ok maybe a couple of teething problems like a gen 4 glock like I said though with regards to the slide John Browning himself abandoned the internal extractor himself in his later designed pistols.
I happen to like external extractors. My most prized handgun is a S&W PC1911 which has an external extractor. I'm referring to the thickness and shape of the slide. You can shove a GSR into a 1911 holster but it's not the exact fit every other 1911 is. There wasn't a functional reason for the change just Sig aesthetics.

My personal opinion is that if you like the GSR or the OP likes the GSR it's a fine choice roughly on the same level as a S&W SW1911 - minus S&W's support. I merely responded to your fanboy jab at everyone that didn't nominate the Sig.

GW
09-11-2010, 10:59 PM
I love 1911's There's all sorts of excellent models out there.
I have a Springfield loaded, a tuned Colt, a Kimber (in 10MM) and a S&W 1911
They're all great. I just finished a 2 day pistol course alternating between the SAI and the Colt and they both shot very well for me.
Buying a new one out of the box I'd have to recommend the SAI Loaded. A friend has one as well and both of ours are great shooters right out of the box.
Just started the wait on a Rock Island Tactical though. I really liked the feel & features on that model. Hope it shoots as good as it feels.

bayboydray408
09-12-2010, 2:44 AM
Didn't you make multiple threads complaining about your Kimber, then tried to sell it?

Thanks but no thanks on Kimbers.

ya I was jokin lol

Ultimate
09-12-2010, 3:32 AM
I'd personally love to own a Kimber Pro Carry 2 in 9MM! Too bad like many guns id love to own it is not on the list.

riprap
09-12-2010, 8:53 AM
i like my para p14 the double stack fits my hands.
its not fancy, but reliable yes
I bought one in the early 90's. It's by far my favorite 1911. Not the greatest for ccw, however makes an excellent "bump in the night" or camp sidearm.

Dhena81
09-12-2010, 10:26 AM
I happen to like external extractors. My most prized handgun is a S&W PC1911 which has an external extractor. I'm referring to the thickness and shape of the slide. You can shove a GSR into a 1911 holster but it's not the exact fit every other 1911 is. There wasn't a functional reason for the change just Sig aesthetics.

My personal opinion is that if you like the GSR or the OP likes the GSR it's a fine choice roughly on the same level as a S&W SW1911 - minus S&W's support. I merely responded to your fanboy jab at everyone that didn't nominate the Sig.

Your right the S&W is another good choice no one nominated that either. Its obvious everyone either goes with a SA or Kimber in the under 1000 category when there are ton of other options which I would either go with a Sig or S&W. If you want something less expensive I've heard nothing but good things about the RIA which Turners has on sale for 429.99.

FailedAngrMgmt
09-12-2010, 12:41 PM

Only that they are hard to find right now, and most stores are back ordered for 6-8 months. Unless you find one in the classifieds or fine one on GB and have it shipped to your FFL, then you may want to look to a different route.

I wanted the MC Operator, but instead got a brand new Kimber Custom TLE/RL II for quite a bit less. No regrets and I love the pistol.

i actually found a mc operator brand new on the buds gun shop website last week. ive been looking for one of these for about a 6 months now. a few months back, i went to turners because they told me they could go through their regional springfield rep and special order one, i just had to wait for them to start the production run again, approx. 6 month wait. it was going to be $1300 plus tax and fees if i went that route. the one i found last week was $1100 no tax and free 2 day air shipping. didnt hesitate, it sits in jail at the moment, cant wait to pick it up. :D