PDA

View Full Version : Common things that cause shooting down and to the left

Whatisthis?
09-10-2010, 2:18 PM
Alright, so I went to the range for the second time last night and a lot of my shots seemed to be about 4 inches to the left, or 4-5 inches down and to the left (all at 15 yards). I did this with many of the guns I rented (Glock 17, Sig P229, m&p9) and both reloads and store bought ammo. So I came to the conclusion that it was probably something I was doing. In the beginning, I know I was flinching with the trigger a little, but I definitely stopped after a little bit. I don't have a video or picture of stance or anything, so I know this is a fairly broad question, but maybe other people have had this problem and learned what was wrong. Any thoughts?

Josh3239
09-10-2010, 2:19 PM
I have found that when I shoot these targets they really do help, it could be a good start for you:

http://www.pointmanspage.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7670&g2_serialNumber=3

freonr22
09-10-2010, 2:20 PM
nice post Josh!

Cokebottle
09-10-2010, 2:25 PM
Load a snap-cap into the middle of one of your magazines.
Mix them up so you don't know where it is.
Shoot the magazines.

Watch what happens when you get to the snap cap.

You're anticipating recoil and pushing down to "fight" it.

9mmepiphany
09-10-2010, 5:11 PM
"Let go and use the Force, Luke"

Press the trigger slowly and gradually as the sights float around the center of the target...don't snap the trigger back when the sights look perfect

tdaughg
09-10-2010, 6:11 PM
I have found that when I shoot these targets they really do help, it could be a good start for you:

http://www.pointmanspage.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=7670&g2_serialNumber=3

thats what i need. who knows where i can get some of those?

Greg-Dawg
09-10-2010, 6:14 PM
Did you take a basic pistol course? Take one and stop wasting ammo.

jtyner
09-10-2010, 6:43 PM
I had the same problem, and it was caused partly by gripping the pistol too loosely and partly because I was using the very tip of my finger which was causing me to push the gun to the left when shooting. Tightening my grip and using the pad of my finger really helped.

If you can rent a .22 from the range you shoot at, shooting that will help you know what it should feel like to shoot without "fear" of recoil. Once you get comfortable shooting it without anticipating the shot, doing the same with a larger caliber will be easier.

Josh3239
09-10-2010, 9:33 PM
They are Alco Targets, but I couldn't find them on their website. I use these target at the Oxnard range every now and then and they are effective.

You can print or write the answers down and compare them to how you are grouping on your actual target. Just bring them with you to the range.

You can search on google images and find a large one and print it and use it as a target.

You can try contacting Alco Targets; http://alcotarget.com/index.cfm

thats what i need. who knows where i can get some of those?

jamesonamac
09-11-2010, 6:36 AM
A year and a half ago I got myself a laser (mine happens to be a Crimson Trace) and I can tell you nothing has helped me fine tune my handgun skills as much as that. It tells on me when I get lazy or sloppy. Depending on where the laser goes on the target, you know what you are doing wrong.
Maybe it's just me, but I have to disagree with a lot of the info on the targets josh posted, and I think it might just overwhelm a new shooter.

viet4lifeOC
09-11-2010, 7:37 AM
Load a snap-cap into the middle of one of your magazines.
Mix them up so you don't know where it is.
Shoot the magazines.
Watch what happens when you get to the snap cap.

Dittos

Sam Hainn
09-11-2010, 2:17 PM
Common things that cause shooting down and to the left?

I had this problem, but I realized it was because all of my targets were positioned down and to the left. :p