PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Barreled Pistols

norcal.xd
09-10-2010, 12:37 PM
i have 2 fixed barreled pistols. they are cheap and heavy but shoot very well and accurate. i also have a xd which is not cheap and has a non fixed barrel. everyone that shoots the fixed barreled pistols would rather shoot that then the xd which is 3 to 4 times its worth. i figured that if they were more accurate why doesnt more people carry them for self defense or home defense. i wanted to see what other calgunners thought about fixed barreled pistols. or if you have any info to why they are accurate guns.

agent.5
09-10-2010, 12:43 PM
HK p7m8 has fixed barrel and very accurate. Many carry them for self defense.

norcal.xd
09-10-2010, 12:49 PM
did a quick look on google... those are pretty expensive for a little gun. looks nice though, i like small pistols.

GŁnter
09-10-2010, 1:32 PM
The most common pistol cartridges: 9x19mm Luger, .40 S&W, .45 ACP requires a moving locked breech barrel to operate (short recoil operated). Most fixed barrel pistols are simple blowback operated and cannot handle cartridges more powerful than a .380 ACP or 9x18mm Makarov. An exception to this is a delayed-blowback operated pistols such as the H&K P7M8 or FN Five-Seven.

TurboChrisB
09-10-2010, 1:55 PM
isn't the old Jennings Nine a fixed barrel?

BamBam-31
09-10-2010, 2:03 PM
GŁnter nailed it. The fixed barrel design is cheap to make and very accurate, but it can only handle so much recoil (9x18mm is probably tops). Anything more and you usually need the Browning locked breech design.

Most people believe 9x19mm to be the minimum in a self-defense pistol, so that pretty much rules out most blowbacks. I had a Russian Makarov, and it was indeed extremely accurate, especially with those tiny "sights." It was kinda snappy, however.

And locked breech designs aren't necessarily less accurate, it's just that there are more moving parts involved and thus harder (read: more expensive) to make accurate. I would not be surprised in the least if a Mak outshot an XD, but there are locked breech guns out there that can match and/or exceed a fixed barrel design.

norcal.xd
09-10-2010, 2:41 PM
one of the pistols is a 9mm luger which is 9x19... but im sure that is the biggest.....i like my xd ...it shoots accurate also.

Rekrab
09-10-2010, 2:52 PM
I'm curious which 9mm you own is blowback...

norcal.xd
09-10-2010, 3:04 PM
its a hi point.... the .380 and 9mm are on the exact same platform....the only reason i didnt mention it was that too many people have opinions about it... i love both my hi points..

BigRich
09-11-2010, 2:04 AM
Astra 600s are blowback 9mmP pistols. I have two. They are accurate and reliable. Since they were military pistols I imagine they are durable enough. Big honkin' recoil springs and heavy hammer springs keep them closed long enough to be safe.

Miltiades
09-11-2010, 5:14 AM
One of the most famous fixed barrel pistols is the Walther PPK, carried by the fictional hero James Bond. As Gunter pointed out, the fixed barrel configuration is only used in lower energy calibers like .22, .32 and .380.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/WaltherPPK40.jpg

morfeeis
09-11-2010, 5:43 AM
why all this talk about blow backs being only being made in lower calibers, Hipoint which i love makes a .40 and .45 acp and both use the same blow back design and fixed barreled setup ..

Flouncer
09-11-2010, 5:50 AM
As Gunter pointed out, the fixed barrel configuration is only used in lower energy calibers like .22, .32 and .380.

See above post.

norcal.xd
09-11-2010, 7:27 AM
One of the most famous fixed barrel pistols is the Walther PPK, carried by the fictional hero James Bond. As Gunter pointed out, the fixed barrel configuration is only used in lower energy calibers like .22, .32 and .380.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/WaltherPPK40.jpg

awww i love this gun... so small but way kool... someday, someday

norcal.xd
09-11-2010, 7:29 AM
See above post.

my hi point 9mm is a fixed barrel blow back design... it is on the same platform as the .380 from the same company...

GŁnter
09-11-2010, 7:40 AM
why all this talk about blow backs being only being made in lower calibers, Hipoint which i love makes a .40 and .45 acp and both use the same blow back design and fixed barreled setup ..

The Hi-Point is indeed a fixed-barrel straight blowback operated pistol utilizing handgun cartridges normally used on short-recoil locked-breech pistols. The Hi-Point accomplishes this by having an unusually heavy slide to delay its blowback, much like in a submachine-gun. The advantage of this design is that it is cheaper to produce and its fixed barrel does help a little with its accuracy. The disadvantage however is that this makes the pistol very heavy for a polymer frame gun, and will also kick harder on recoil than the typical short-recoil operated pistol with a moving barrel of similar size, weight and caliber. Delayed-blowback operated pistols negates these disadvantages however they are more expensive than a comparable straight blowback designs.

morfeeis
09-11-2010, 2:22 PM
i will admit on my C9 it kicks just a tad bit more then on my BRAND NEW AND IN LOVE WITH Ruger P95, it's also not that much heavier then my P95 (even though that thing is bulky as crap to some). I see your point and you're right i just wanted to point out that Hipoint the company so many love to hate as "crap guns" did it and it works well.

norcal.xd
09-11-2010, 3:31 PM
see thats why i didnt mention it was a hi point at first....alot of opinions...

J-cat
09-11-2010, 5:38 PM
i have 2 fixed barreled pistols. they are cheap and heavy but shoot very well and accurate. i also have a xd which is not cheap and has a non fixed barrel. everyone that shoots the fixed barreled pistols would rather shoot that then the xd which is 3 to 4 times its worth. i figured that if they were more accurate why doesnt more people carry them for self defense or home defense. i wanted to see what other calgunners thought about fixed barreled pistols. or if you have any info to why they are accurate guns.

Fixed barreled centerfire pistols generally are not more accurate than locked breech pistols. If you compare factory test targets, you'll see.