PDA

View Full Version : DROS every 30 days...

SpringfieldEMP
09-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Any way to get around the 1 handgun every 30 days?
Let me explain why I ask...

I purchased a SS Target II Kimber that had hammer follow issues and was auto discharging 1 or 2 more rounds per trigger pull. I sent it back to the factory for repair.
30 days after purchasing the kimber I purchased a Springfield Armory EMP.
That same day Kimber calls and says that they are going to replace the frame on my 1911.
They are shipping it back on Monday. I just DROSed my SA EMP. Sense they replaced the frame on my kimber, it has to come back as a new handgun with a new serial number.

It is going to have to sit at the FFL for 30 days before I can start the paperwork and do the 10 day waiting period.

So.....
Is there any exclusions to the rules for pistols back from repair?!? :banghead:

Plisk
09-10-2010, 11:09 AM
The only exclusions that I know of for Repair Returns are if the serial doesn't change.

Sorry, it looks like you gotta wait the 30... err 40.

jessegpresley
09-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Get a C&R and COE and you're exempt from 1 per 30. MIMber should have just transfered the serial number to a new frame, though.

jdg30
09-10-2010, 1:40 PM
Yes the one-every-30 rule applies. Ridiculous but that's the way it is. I had almost the same thing happen to me. I bought a gun from the internet and when I received it the sight groove was off center on the revolver and it had to go to the factory for repair. They replaced the frame and since it had a new serial number it had to be re-DROSed and I had to wait another 10 days after it was shipped back to a FFL. Luckily S&W paid shipping both ways AND paid for the extra DROS fees since it was their mistake. It kind of made up for the inconvenience.

SpringfieldEMP
09-10-2010, 2:15 PM
Bummer...
I guess I'll just have to wait. :(
Although Kimber has been good about the repairs. Paid shipping both ways and repaired at no cost.