PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to have a rifle or hadngun on a boat?

WhiteSands
05-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Is it legal to have a rifle or hadngun on a boat?

Matt C
05-15-2006, 10:29 PM
No you need to warn your police chief officer soon, get an ammunition and transportation permit, and be over 35 years of age. You also must have permission from your father and a gun safe welded between the two life jacket holds of the boat. Also, you need permission of the harbor master, the bouy operator, and the dolphin watch. If the baotdoes not have a life jacket holds then the mast will suffice. The boat must not have a gas tank larger than 10 gallons and a fuel efficiency of over 10 MPG(nautical). This way you will be forced to call the coast guard every one hundred miles to board your boat.

or something like that

Rumpled
05-15-2006, 11:28 PM
How else you gonna duck hunt?
Or get across a Lake (ie Sonoma or Sutherland) to hunt turkeys pigs etc.

Don't know the specifics, probably not loaded when underway?

Satex
05-16-2006, 6:19 AM
Yes it is. A firearms is an acceptable way to signal that you are in distress. I haven't seen anything that provides transportation guidelines - if any.

eviioiive
05-16-2006, 9:22 AM
its fine just as long as its legal and put it away unloaded before you get boarded

Liberty Rules
05-16-2006, 11:33 AM
If you go anywhere near San Diego, don't sail into Mexican waters. There was a story a few years ago about a guy on an extended boat trip. His boat developed some sort of mechanical trouble and he was forced to proceed into Mexican waters. He sailed or was towed into a Mexican port. He had a few normal firearms on board. He spent well over a year in jail. I recall seeing news reports that he was languishing in a jail and hadn't even been to trial. You cannot even take ammunition into Mexico without a permit from their embassy or consulate.

Another reason to hate Mexico.

kick Z tail out
05-16-2006, 11:49 AM
If you go anywhere near San Diego, don't sail into Mexican waters. There was a story a few years ago about a guy on an extended boat trip. His boat developed some sort of mechanical trouble and he was forced to proceed into Mexican waters. He sailed or was towed into a Mexican port. He had a few normal firearms on board. He spent well over a year in jail. I recall seeing news reports that he was languishing in a jail and hadn't even been to trial. You cannot even take ammunition into Mexico without a permit from their embassy or consulate.

Another reason to hate Mexico.
He should have just opened up on the Mexican authorities that approached him. Probably would have been easier. ;)

Remember boys, 30 round magazines are legal in the Pacifik Ocean. :D

Sig226
05-16-2006, 1:26 PM
They are legal on the beach, and in my house too...

BUT--- I assume you could buy them legally if you were 25 miles out. (And didnt bring them back?)

Now what was the number to the turners barge?

gh429
05-16-2006, 2:00 PM
How else you gonna duck hunt?
Or get across a Lake (ie Sonoma or Sutherland) to hunt turkeys pigs etc.

Don't know the specifics, probably not loaded when underway?

It's all good until the incidents of boat-by shootings start to increase. :D