PDA

View Full Version : Delete

pigman
09-10-2010, 7:06 AM
Issues all good, thanks again!

r3dn3ck
09-10-2010, 7:53 AM
the FFL checked it into his books... it's still there in his books unless he's disposed of it. In any case, your buddy is effectively screwed. There are technically things that could be done but none of it's gunna help. I'd call CalDOJ and let them know the serial number... that might at least keep it from being re-sold.

Mssr. Eleganté
09-10-2010, 1:36 PM
I had a buddy who put a nice family pistol on consignment 4 years ago, the FFL has vanished, is the pistol considered lost to my buddy? Any help would be greatly appreciated!:)

Sometimes it might seem like a person or business just vanished, but in reality they just closed down or moved somewhere else. If you let us know the name of the FFL then maybe somebody here will know where he is. I know that a few months ago CalDOJ was holding a bunch of firearms for an FFL that got shut down. They were trying to contact the true owner of each gun.

jtmkinsd
09-10-2010, 7:24 PM
I had a buddy who put a nice family pistol on consignment 4 years ago, the FFL has vanished, is the pistol considered lost to my buddy? Any help would be greatly appreciated!:)

My guess is your gun is probably in a property room somewhere. I would check with CA DOJ and BATFE field office in your area. I'm sure they would be the best source of information on what happened to the FFL and his inventory.

Colt-45
09-11-2010, 2:09 AM
If they put so much effort into tracking guns to impair your 2nd amendment right, they should put as much effort into tracking guns for your benefit.

pigman
09-13-2010, 9:02 AM
Thanks for all the help!

Mssr. Eleganté
09-13-2010, 10:10 PM
A google search brings up this...

Sportsmans Access
Licensee Name: Johnson, Robert Eugene
139 5th St Ste #B
Eureka, CA 95501
Phone: 707-338-7579

and this...

SPORTSMANS ACCESS TOO
Gun Shops

County: Sonoma
City: EUREKA

7660 MYRTLE AVE SPC 15, EUREKA, Sonoma, California, 95503-9409, USA.

Owner — ROBERT JOHNSON.

This second address looks more like a trailer park or something.

So it looks like the store in Petaluma was called "Sportsmans Access Too" and there was another store in Penryn called "Sportsmans Access" There are tons of complaints on the internet about the owner of the Penryn shop, Tyler C. Jones walking off with hundreds of thousands of dollars of consignment guns and money. :eek:

pigman
09-14-2010, 7:46 AM
Thank you Sir for the info, crap.......

sircolt64
07-27-2011, 4:49 PM
He fled Petaluma, opened a store in Eureka, sold out to the competition where he now works and hides behind the fake address and phone #. After calling Redwood Marine (his employer) I learned that he only lived a few blocks away, though I couldn't get the address, I did get his current phone # from google 707-267-0656. He also got off with one of my guns, but I got mine back. He's wormy so you'll need all the luck you can get. CHEERS!

Tripper
07-27-2011, 5:00 PM
lol, I know of a FFL, that had lots of guns on consignment, which a bunch either vanished, or was outright sold without compensating the original owner. that owner spent some time in jail and is now a convicted felon.
your not from around monterey are ya?

Tripper
07-27-2011, 5:03 PM
report your gun as stolen, if the ffl can provide something else, i would consider it stolen myself, and I would name the suspect, and have it investigated for sure.

Rudolf the Red
07-27-2011, 5:39 PM
report your gun as stolen, if the ffl can provide something else, i would consider it stolen myself, and I would name the suspect, and have it investigated for sure.

This does not sound like a bad idea.

sircolt64
07-27-2011, 5:39 PM
I moved to Novato from Bodega Bay

sircolt64
07-27-2011, 5:41 PM
Did you get any kind of paper work when you consigned the pistol?

Ron-Solo
07-27-2011, 8:14 PM

The gun is NOT "stolen" per se, but may be considered embezzled property if you do your homework properly. You need to contact the FFL and send a registered "demand" letter concerning your property, which you gave to him to sell on your behalf. Waiting four years to reclaim your property doesn't help matters at all.

.22guy
07-27-2011, 8:17 PM
Good luck, sounds like you will need it.

Tripper
07-27-2011, 8:43 PM
Embezzlement was the prevailing charge i think, for the old FFL around here I was referring to.
Stolen seems appropriate to me, but, i guess going the route of a demand letter is good idea too. unless he can produce something, seems to me it will have been stolen, from someone.
waiting for 4 years, isnt unreasonable for someone to have a bit of faith, and giving benefit of doubt to someone, along with not really knowing what to do.
now that you realize it, you do need to do something.
theres a number of things i'm sure, that you know are wrong, and nobody seems to really know what to do about it.
i'm sure, if OP calls local PD, they'll say they dont know what they can do about it or worse and say its not their problem, Sheriff would say the same, and that usually leaves a person with ?? to turn to?

Ron-Solo
07-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Let me clarify a bit. Embezzlement is a type of theft, but since the person originally gave the firearm to the dealer to sell on his behalf, you now have to prove that the dealer does not intent on completing that transaction or returning the firearm. There is no way to show the intent to steal from the original transaction, because the owner willfully gave him the gun to sell for him.

The demand letter is one of the steps needed to show the intent to deprive the owner his gun, or the funds agreed upon in the sales contract.

Simply trying to report it stolen won't fly because there is a strong chance the dealer sold the gun lawfully within the terms of the consignment agreement, but has simply not paid the owner of the gun. The potential customer who bought the gun from the dealer complied with all the rules of the sale such as DROS, etc, and did not steal the gun.

They are complicated investigations because to file a criminal case, you have to be able to show intent to deprive the owner of his property or the funds agreed upon in the consignment sale. I handled many embezzlement cases over 32 years, and they can pose many headaches.

Regardless of any criminal proceedings, I recommend a small claims action to recover the gun or the money. The demand letter is also necessary in civil cases too.

Best of luck.

brosco
08-11-2011, 5:37 AM
When a gun is consigned to an FFL that gun remains the individuals property as long as the gun is not logged into the FFL's log book. The FFL might give an individual as much as 48 hours to make up his mind to actually consign the weapon. If he decides not to consign it can be handed back inside that period without a DROS. If he does decide to consign it is a federal law that the gun be DROS back again to the individual once the gun has been logged in. This rule is to thwart the delivery of a firearm in the event any domestic violence or criminal case occurred in the mean time. Since this gun was consigned, the individual most likely filled out a PPT that made it possible to retrieve it at any time paying the standard $35.00 fee for the new DROS. You can't tell me that that opportunity wasn't available to the individual in a 4 year period. Sounds like he didn't want to spend the $35.00 or thought he shouldn't have to.

Also, if the selling individual was fishing for monies well beyond the actual value of the gun while it was in consignment it would obviously be sitting there for a long time. It is sad that some people will not recognize reality, and understand what the market will bear for a firearm that is just not worth what they think. This individual was stuck when he found out that his gun could not get the money he was looking for. Although, I'm sure he had multiple offers that came in and was not willing to accept any of them.

So, for all you professional know it all's out there: know your stuff!

PIGMAN should PM me for more information!!!!

gt500
08-11-2011, 7:04 PM
To specifically pigman, the Petaluma store was closed to keep Tyler C, Jones from being forced to try and take it over by a silent partner and steal my inventory as well as consignment firearms. The owner of this firearm had many many opportunities to retrieve it even after I moved because it was left with historic arms company in Sebastopol. The owner of the firearm told that FFL that he would be there and transfer it back to himself on numerous occasions and flaked out numerous times. That FFL returned the firearm to me because he got tired of dealing with your buddy for not showing up when he said he would. Your buddy contacted me and requested I send the firearm to another dealer of his choice in Petaluma which I did and I have a receipt signed by the owner of that FFl to prove that it was delivered to him as per your buddy's request. As for you sircolt64, I kept your gun from being stolen by a hostile takeover and if I wanted to keep it I could have very easily. I have never intentionally kept anyone's firearm without paying them. I am not and have not been affiliated with T.C. Jones in any way ever since the Petaluma store was closed. So, before any of you post any of these ignorant threads, you should know the facts first or shut your trap. Unfortunately, these forums are for people who don't have much of a real life, that is why I never look at these because there are to many people on here like you all that speak before knowing the facts. Not trying to stir up any trouble just trying to set the record strait for my own reputation.