PDA

View Full Version : Spenceville BLM clean up

SIGscout
09-10-2010, 3:28 AM
Hi all,
I have alwayse tried to clean up after myself, like most respectible shooters do, but it's not enough.
I have a big project that I hope I can get your help with. The range near Camp Far West,the last time I was there, was in bad shape. I nwould like to promote a group clean up,that is badly needed.
Those interested please post if you are available on weekends so we can get this off the ground.
Ay ideas or sugestions are appreciated.

scoob_i_e
09-10-2010, 5:45 AM
Yeah I could jump into help.

The land is actually DFG not BLM... I myself was under the mistaken impression it was BLM.

I think a part of the reason another cleanup of the range has not gotten underway since Aug. last year is that people are bummed that their efforts lasted a mere few hours. The last calguns based cleanup was Aug. 9 2009... We finished the cleanup and had left by around 11-12. Someone that went out there shooting the same day had arrived at around 3 or 4 pm..... Said the place looked like the 'before attempt' so were it not for the pictures taken of the cleanup there would have been no evidence of us having been there/no signs of any cleanup attempted.

Anyone familiar with Spenceville realizes that the place is just an complete and utter truck-stop. There is simply such a large and overwhelming volume of traffic coming in and out of there all the time with the majority of people thinking nothing of littering the place. It's just such a heavy-use range that sees so much activity it's not possible to keep it clean for very long. At least locations that are out in the middle of nowhere accumulate less garbage out of the simple fact that... Fewer people frequent them, because, again, the place is out in the middle of nowhere therefore there is a smaller populace in the region and people out of the area simply aren't able to go as often due to the distance.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying this is a reason to refrain from implementing volunteer efforts.... I'm still in for a calguns style cleanup.

scoob_i_e
09-10-2010, 6:22 AM
Oh and as far as suggestions?

Let's definitely try to get DFG a heads-up on this so that they can close the range down while we clean up. Last time out, we were trying to get more done but the Spenceville inhabitants were having none of that. They got impatient and basically forced us to stop when they started shooting again! Plus having DFG involved would of course show that there are people interested in trying to keep the place clean and open.

Also, I'll bring a load of dust masks for everyone to use. Raking up at the firing line can get a little nasty with all the loose top soil.

Lead-Thrower
09-10-2010, 7:48 AM
I am in, make sure you set up a day far enough in advance so you can get more people in and contact DFG to let them know what you have in mind. As far as days go, Sundays work best for me, but with enough advance notice I may be able to swing a Saturday. I can bring trashbags and some shovels, but unfortunately I dont have a truck to haul stuff out in...

omgwtfbbq
09-10-2010, 9:35 AM
I'm totally in as well.

The range has gotten a bit better in the paste couple months. CDF or Calfire or someone did a controlled burn that got rid of a lot of trash and brush However there is still some trash out there that could be picked up.

I unfortunately can't provide a truck (drive an accord) but I can help my back and arms to the project. I can also probably get some non-calgunner buddies to help out.

I agree that we would need to talk to the DFG and get the range closed for a while. I don't feel like getting shot cuz some yahoo gets impatient. haha

hammerhands32
09-10-2010, 1:18 PM
Too bad we couldn't do it this weekend. With this rain it would really keep the dust down.

532Fastback
09-10-2010, 8:47 PM
I am not available on weekends until the end of October possibly but i definitely want to do this. I love that range.

New2guns
09-10-2010, 8:58 PM
It looked a whole lot better the last two times I was there this last Tuesday and two weeks earlier. I have only been there four times and clean up crews were there 3 of those times.

This from a couple weeks ago, still pretty clean. Of course as the day goes on the trash accumulates.

I can't help physically due to COPD but I could bring soda if it's a day I'm free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD2hveTlbzw

SIGscout
09-10-2010, 10:16 PM
I understand many of you are frustrated with irresponsible people, but doesn't that make you irresponsible if you sit back and let fit hit the shan?
There's a difference between attempting to do good and failing, compared to seeing you could fail and never try(or giving up after the first failure).

I am just a simple person trying to make a difference, and with your help, as you've seen from fire missions here on calguns, WE MAKE POSITIVE CHANGE HAPPEN, PERIOD.:eek:

Since I'm new to most of you, I would be happy to go along with any plans that might come up if somebody with experience would like to take the reins.

Thanks ahead of time for everyones in-put.

Rigma
09-10-2010, 11:15 PM
I'm in for sure as long as it is a weekend and not on Nov. 20th!

I can go ahead and pledge 2 more able bodies aside from mine, I will drag them kicking and screaming if need be. Have a truck, tools, and plenty of garbage bags.

On to logistics...

Thankfully most of the trash I saw out there last week was smaller in size and the majority can be "bagged."

I agree that DFG support is a very good idea. Arranging for a DFG guy to simply be on site and stand there for an hour or two during the clean up would be good PR for CalGuns and could serve the purpose of informing those unaware and arriving that a clean up is in process.

Just think of the great photo opportunity of a before and after group photo with a DFG in the middle sporting a cheek to cheek S.E.G.!

A clean-up for the sake of it is noble, but some recognition not only supports the cause with the powers that be, but may also help steer sportsmen to Calguns and the effort to shore up our 2nd Amendment rights in this state.

I just think we need to make the most of our efforts and would be happy to assist you in this effort.

Need a Calguns banner to give credit for the day, I'll make it happen

Need someone to spring for a bbq, hot dogs and sodas (& Calguns pamphlets) to hand out in the parking lot to those that arrive...boom its done.

You have a motivated individual at your disposal. Please PM me for whatever support you need to make this happen. Just let me know what level you want to take it to. :42:

omgwtfbbq
09-11-2010, 12:14 AM

I can go ahead and pledge 2 more able bodies aside from mine, I will drag them kicking and screaming if need be. Have a truck, tools, and plenty of garbage bags.

On to logistics...

Thankfully most of the trash I saw out there last week was smaller in size and the majority can be "bagged."

I agree that DFG support is a very good idea. Arranging for a DFG guy to simply be on site and stand there for an hour or two during the clean up would be good PR for CalGuns and could serve the purpose of informing those unaware and arriving that a clean up is in process.

Just think of the great photo opportunity of a before and after group photo with a DFG in the middle sporting a cheek to cheek S.E.G.!

A clean-up for the sake of it is noble, but some recognition not only supports the cause with the powers that be, but may also help steer sportsmen to Calguns and the effort to shore up our 2nd Amendment rights in this state.

I just think we need to make the most of our efforts and would be happy to assist you in this effort.

Need someone to spring for a bbq, hot dogs and sodas (& Calguns pamphlets) to hand out in the parking lot to those that arrive...boom its done

Well that's definitely something that would put the word out. I'm 100% in favor and as long as there is notice so I can get the time off work, I'll do whatever I can. In fact I can even talk to my work (Bel Air Groceries) about doing a donation in the way of food or water, but that might have to go through the hands of the higher ups in Calguns. Anyways, I will do whatever I am asked to.

This sounds like an awesome idea.

-Chris

Deadon
09-11-2010, 10:47 AM
I was just there a couple days ago. Looks in ok shape, I was expecting worse. If a clean up is in the plans I'll be down to help. I have a bad back but I have a truck.

Deadon
09-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Btw has anyone thought about putting a big sign up? Maybe it would make people think if we take care of what we have it might last for the next gen.

Lead-Thrower
09-11-2010, 12:22 PM
I believe DFG already has signs up saying something to the effect of "Paper and clay targets only. No littering." But maybe a stronger message would get the point across a little better...

hammerhands32
09-11-2010, 12:53 PM
I was up there this morning. Actually split a table with a fellow calgunner. The range looked reasonable. If we had around 5 people with rakes we could have that place clean in about an hour. Of course it has been two hours since I was up there so who knows now :rolleyes:

DiscoBayJoe
09-11-2010, 1:15 PM
You should make a sign:

"This is not a paid range -- There is nobody to clean up after you. Leave it as you found it. This means picking up your Brass / Shells, Target Fragments, Cigarette Butts, and any other debris you may have created. Failure to keep the area clear may cause for additional restrictions or closure. Enjoy your day Safe & Responsibly"

Lead-Thrower
09-11-2010, 8:56 PM
You should make a sign:

"This is not a paid range -- There is nobody to clean up after you. Leave it as you found it. This means picking up your Brass / Shells, Target Fragments, Cigarette Butts, and any other debris you may have created. Failure to keep the area clear may cause for additional restrictions or closure. Enjoy your day Safe & Responsibly"

Brilliant. We should do this.

omgwtfbbq
09-11-2010, 11:41 PM
You should make a sign:

I like this, but with a nice little "Courtesy of the Calguns Foundation: Working to preserve second amendment right blah blah"

That way it's informative and also a little bit of a plug :D

Rogu3
09-12-2010, 12:05 AM
I'm sorry, but every time i see this thread, i think someone is sending me a message!

scoob_i_e
09-12-2010, 5:18 AM
I understand many of you are frustrated with irresponsible people, but doesn't that make you irresponsible if you sit back and let fit hit the shan?
There's a difference between attempting to do good and failing, compared to seeing you could fail and never try(or giving up after the first failure).

I was up there this morning. Actually split a table with a fellow calgunner. The range looked reasonable. If we had around 5 people with rakes we could have that place clean in about an hour. Of course it has been two hours since I was up there so who knows now :rolleyes:

I have stirred up some ire.... That certainly was not my intention.

I'm aware that I did not explain myself, so let me do that now; what I said earlier was meant to be more of an advisory statement to let people know that there's a good chance the fruits of their labors will not last very long if they so decide to jump on board and assist with the cleanup..... Was just attempting to head off any disappointment ahead of time if it turns out to be that the range instantly becomes a disaster all over again (like with what happened the last time we went and cleaned up.)

I know I can come across as sounding like a jacka*# sometimes.... I just don't express myself very well. Just wait 'til you meet me in person. :)

FatalKitty
09-14-2010, 9:04 PM
if there is a cleanup organized on a Sunday ever, count me in... I was there this morning and there was trash EVERYWHERE, we showed up with gear to clean up, expecting to have the place to ourselves on a tuesday at 7am... but there were already people there. and more people kept showing up.

Lead-Thrower
09-14-2010, 9:22 PM
^^^
This is why I find myself wanting to go to this spot less and less. Too many people use it and abuse it. I would rather drive 1 hour longer to get to my spot up in the National Forest that no one else knows about...

hammerhands32
09-15-2010, 8:20 AM
I know I can come across as sounding like a jacka*# sometimes.... I just don't express myself very well. Just wait 'til you meet me in person. :)

This is the internet and I refuse to be angered by it. I feel I was the one who came across poorly. My apologies.

For further notice If I say something that offends anyone I was either being sarcastic or I just don't like you. You can pick:D

NorCalRedneck
09-17-2010, 9:53 PM
You should make a sign:

Maybe change the leave it as you found it part. Depending on the condition of the range that could either mean pick up your stuff and keep it clean or leave the range a ****hole just like you found it. :D

New2guns
09-17-2010, 11:42 PM
Maybe change the leave it as you found it part. Depending on the condition of the range that could either mean pick up your stuff and keep it clean or leave the range a ****hole just like you found it. :D

I have been up there four times now and I enjoy it. Nice people (the ones I have interacted with). From now on when I go up I will take my rake and a container and I will clean the area I am using before leaving the site. I will take what ever trash is already there and what brass and steel debris I make home to put in the garbage can that cost me $60 a month to have picked up even though most if the time it is empty.

hammerhands32
09-18-2010, 8:47 AM
my latest trick is to use empty boxes for target stands. Set em up, put targets on them, shoot them full of holes, fill them with trash and haul them away. Not much but it makes a small dent and I always leave with more than I came with.

mjsweims
09-20-2010, 8:50 PM
I drove by there today and it looked reasonable.

I definitely will be willing to pitch in. PM me with the date and I'll try to set it aside.

Hoop
09-21-2010, 8:08 AM
I was out there the other day and it was fairly clean TONS of shotgun waddings everywhere though. Also the fire department did a controlled burn so all the brush weeds etc are gone.

omgwtfbbq
09-21-2010, 9:39 AM
I really think what is most needed is a couple hours with rakes and garbage bags. A lot of the big stuff has been cleaned up, and the majority of what's left is small debris. Brass, other casings, shotgun wadding, wood, plastic, etc.

I was wondering if anyone had previous notions of what to do with any reloadable brass that would be recovered, two ideas that come to mind are either separating and giving it to any of the volunteers that reload (I personally do not) or we possible sell the brass and donate the proceeds to the Calguns Foundation. I'm sure it's not going to be a big take if we were to sell it, but if we don't have anyone that wants to reload the brass, I think it might be a more worthy cause than lining our own pockets.

I'm also just gonna re-up my support for this project. I think it's a worthy thing to do and really hope it gets off the ground in the near future. Again, I'll provide whatever support I can.

Rigma
09-21-2010, 9:49 PM
I also am ready and willing for a clean-up. Have not seen anything further from the OP, so we might just need to keep this rolling ourselves.

As far as "good brass"...take a look and you will find little...at least last time I was there. Aside from reloaders picking up their good stuff, last time I was there 2 people were scavenging the ground for what I can only guess is brass scrap to sell.

Got rather peeved when one was a bit to close for comfort to my line of fire...just wait for me to leave!

5511speed
09-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Hi All,

I am willing to help, have truck and tools avalable on weekends and some Fridays (due to Furloughs), let me know dates

Matt G
09-30-2010, 11:45 PM
I helped with a cleanup there some years back. I use the range for a tuneup before duck season, and would love to help keep it as just that.

mjsweims
10-06-2010, 4:29 PM
On Mondaymorning I was passing by and there were two trucks with a few people cleaning up. I think they were contractors or DFG employees. By Monday night there was a fair amount of trash out there. I shot there this morning and it was in the same condition as Monday night.

motorwerks
10-19-2010, 1:42 PM
One thing that may help is just not only cleaning up after ourselves, but making sure people around see you doing so. The last 3 or 4 times we have been out we have taken a couple rakes with us, and a bunch of trash bags. We take at least a 3 FULL trash bags of shotgun hulls garbage and brass out every time we leave. I can guarantee we didnt shoot that much LOL. Hell I think last time we left with 450 rounds of .223 brass..... and had only shot about 200 or so.

motorwerks
10-19-2010, 1:44 PM
Got rather peeved when one was a bit to close for comfort to my line of fire...just wait for me to leave!

God the stay away from Oroville.... there was an Asian lady out there last time I was there that would damn near walk under your muzzle to pick up brass. I was PISSED!

pyromensch
10-19-2010, 9:10 PM

On to logistics...

Need someone to spring for a bbq, hot dogs and sodas (& Calguns pamphlets) to hand out in the parking lot to those that arrive...boom its done.

You have a motivated individual at your disposal. Please PM me for whatever support you need to make this happen. Just let me know what level you want to take it to. :42:
damn, rigma

i didn't get that from you at the davis clean-up, i am glad i was a couple of men away from you, in case you were in the mood for a "cheek to cheek"

Rigma
10-19-2010, 11:53 PM
damn, rigma

i didn't get that from you at the davis clean-up, i am glad i was a couple of men away from you, in case you were in the mood for a "cheek to cheek"

Huh...sorry to disappoint you...

RANash
10-28-2010, 4:35 PM
I'd be willing to help. I don't have a truck, but can bring rake, shovel, and manpower. Let me know when it's on.

Dirk Tungsten
10-30-2010, 2:08 PM
I might be down for this provided it starts later than 8am. Scheduling might be hard this time of year though, due to the weather.

DREADNOUGHT78
10-30-2010, 7:24 PM
God the stay away from Oroville.... there was an Asian lady out there last time I was there that would damn near walk under your muzzle to pick up brass. I was PISSED!

Sounds like Spenceville. I catch them creeping around while I'm shooting and have to keep yelling at them "tránh xa" (stay away) try it its funny they look at me like what???

shtr45acp
11-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Have been to this range numerous times, at all hours, inc night time. I no longer live in the area, and havent shot there in well over a year. I have seen, twice---Air Force civillian maintaince workers there-- doing cleanup. They close it down, usually for the major part of the day to do this. I talkesd to their super, and he said that they come up from the base once a month and pick the place up. I felt bad, cause thjey didnt want help. Sure wish I had a case or two of beer with me to give to them! More cleanup is an excellent idea, and if still there, I would help haul it all away. Still though, even if the AF civvies still come once a month, there's so much traffic there that it may warrant more cleanups.

SIGscout
11-03-2010, 11:44 AM
I pass this issue to whom ever wish's to pick it up.

surfish95747
11-18-2010, 5:42 PM
I pass this issue to whom ever wish's to pick it up.

I don't know if everybody is still willing to do this or if you all already have, but, I will be up there Saturday December 11th. I know it is close to the holidays. I will be contacting DFG and see if we can get it shut down for a cleaning. Does this work for anyone else? I will have my brothers, trash bags, shovels and rakes. If anybody can bring an extra truck to haul stuff out, we'll bring two, that would be great. Let me know if this works and I'll let you know what DFG says.

God Bless The Mauser
11-25-2010, 4:10 PM
I can bring my deuce and a half and get tons of trash in there, literally. I plan to drive it out there when I shoot anyways.

surfish95747
12-09-2010, 9:07 AM
I can bring my deuce and a half and get tons of trash in there, literally. I plan to drive it out there when I shoot anyways.

I have not been able to get permission (or a call back for that matter) to close the range for a clean up. So the clean up will not be happening on Dec 11. I will let everybody know as soon as I do get permission to do a detailed clean up with a closed range. Thanks everybody.

Spec4Guy
12-09-2010, 9:39 AM
I just was there @ 10 am today 12/09 no one there but me,testing out my new/old 91/59. the place need some TLC,Not much big stuff(tv,s washer dryer tipe rubish)but lots of paper and plastic trash.:mad:

surfish95747
12-14-2010, 12:54 PM
We'll get out there and clean it up. I've done that twice this year already. Not everything but even just a few bags of trash make a huge difference.

USMC VET
12-30-2010, 9:14 PM
I was there Monday 12/27 and the place was a disaster on the firing line. Not too bad on the target areas but there was a ton of people there.

Set a date and time in stone and ill do my best to be there for sure! Either way I still try to clean my area up the best I can.

Deadon
01-01-2011, 8:34 AM
I was there 12/31 and man it was a mess! Not to mention the cars were stacked two rows deep! We need to do something. I dont think people know what we have here. Its FREE take care of it or it will be taken away like everything else in this state.

Wnick308
01-01-2011, 4:19 PM
Ya, it was realy busy 12/31. We took a truck load of trash out but it was a mess every where!

CaliforniaLiberal
01-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Went to the Spenceville range for the first time today. Seemed like a moderate amount of trash. Hundreds of shotgun shells on the ground around the tables. A huge dumpster is sitting at the north side of the parking lot. A couple of heavy duty black garbage sacks were sitting up by the tables half full of trash and convenient to use. I spent ten minutes or so at the end of my stay picking up some trash.

Take a rake and shovel with you the next time you go. That huge dumpster will make it easy, don't have to haul anything yourself. If we all spend a few minutes picking up every time we go I think we can defeat the trashy shooters who don't give a %$&*.

A decent shooting range, glad I finally got out there.

AF_MSgt
01-11-2011, 2:25 PM
I was there Friday (7th). To say hundreds of shotgun shells is an understatement. I'm going to get some guys together from the base and do a clean-up in a couple of weeks... I'm going for the 5th of February/0800HRS rain or shine (I don't melt). The day before the Superbowl should be good to go.

Anybody else want to join me? Please reply or just show up and let's get this place cleaned up before BLM closes it down.

AF_MSgt
01-11-2011, 6:27 PM
That's Saturday the 5th of February 2011 at 8:00am!

ffbsm85
01-12-2011, 8:04 AM
I was there Friday (7th). To say hundreds of shotgun shells is an understatement. I'm going to get some guys together from the base and do a clean-up in a couple of weeks... I'm going for the 5th of February/0800HRS rain or shine (I don't melt). The day before the Superbowl should be good to go.

Anybody else want to join me? Please reply or just show up and let's get this place cleaned up before BLM closes it down.

Just found this range a few days ago and I'm gonna start goin shooting at lunch. It is pretty bad right now and I'll try to make it on the 5th to help out. Shouldn't be too hard with the big dumster there, don't need any trucks or anything. I don't have a rack though so hopefully someone can bring some! :)

Coded-Dude
01-12-2011, 8:24 AM
I'd come out to help, but I will be in Oklahoma that weekend. I may actually head out there this weekend and shoot(since its going to be so damn nice), but I need some ammo and my trip is where most of my funds are going! :(

USMC VET
01-12-2011, 9:39 PM
Ill be there the 5th and hopefully with my new xd45 :)

Lead-Thrower
01-13-2011, 4:05 PM
I will try to be there on the 5th...

FatalKitty
01-14-2011, 10:48 AM
won't the 5th be packed? that's gonna be pretty hard to clean up?!

maybe someone bring a bullhorn, and announce that we are cleaning up the range, anyone willing to help will make the process go by faster and we can get back to shooting, I bet 30 minutes and it's done :) I'll be out there

ffbsm85
01-14-2011, 1:14 PM
Was out there at lunch today and a lot of the larger "targets" ie stuffed bears, boxes, etc. have been cleaned up. However there are still shells and casings everywhere. Seems like someone grabbed the bigger pieces of trash. So basically it looks like rakes are going to be the primary clean up tool.

New2guns
01-14-2011, 3:37 PM
Possibly a garden sprayer with water if the dirt is dry also for dust control while raking.

Was out there at lunch today and a lot of the larger "targets" ie stuffed bears, boxes, etc. have been cleaned up. However there are still shells and casings everywhere. Seems like someone grabbed the bigger pieces of trash. So basically it looks like rakes are going to be the primary clean up tool.

ffbsm85
01-14-2011, 5:06 PM
Possibly a garden sprayer with water if the dirt is dry also for dust control while raking.

It was pretty wet out there today, we'll see on the 5th

evilputty
01-16-2011, 1:55 PM
was out there yesterday and the range looks a lot cleaner then i remember 2+ years ago, tons of people out there enjoying the weather, couple of people collecting all the new brass not sure if reloaders or recyclers. Either way it helps keep the range clean.

CaliforniaLiberal
01-16-2011, 5:01 PM
Dropped by the Spenceville Range before noon today, Sunday. Pretty crowded, about a dozen cars.

The big dumpster is gone.

Looks like all of the trash is picked up except for lots of shotgun hulls at the firing line.

Every one was observing a cease fire while walking up range to fix targets when I drove up. Nice not to see any crazy/stupid shooters, everyone was being safe.

Still pretty overcast and foggy.

FatalKitty
01-16-2011, 7:32 PM
^^ the range has been kept a lot cleaner recently - also noticed a lot more shooters so this is good.

I have a hard time convincing my friends to go - they have all heard the horror stories of poor range manners and unsafe conduct but I have yet to witness any of this in the last year and a half of shooting there.

ZombieTactics
01-16-2011, 9:53 PM
was out there yesterday and the range looks a lot cleaner then i remember 2+ years ago, tons of people out there enjoying the weather, couple of people collecting all the new brass not sure if reloaders or recyclers. Either way it helps keep the range clean.

Me too ... I was the guy with the SU16 at the far right by the tree. The range looked better than usual, but still in need of a major grooming.

I'm game for the 5th unless something unforeseen comes up.

evilputty
01-16-2011, 10:27 PM
was out the shooting my 6.8 spc ar and tikka 30-06 for the first time, unfortunately didn't account for the massive amounts of people there so i just shot it to feel it out. i was setup to the left of the last bench on the 25 yard burm

AF_MSgt
01-18-2011, 1:27 PM
I'll post a few signs out there this Friday to let people know about the clean-up on the 5th.

After the clean-up I hope to see all my Calguns friends out there showing off their hardware.:party:

I'll be posting before/after pics.

See you there!!!

pyromensch
01-19-2011, 6:34 PM
i believe i have the day off, and will be bringing "the finger", to help, with a pick-up.

Lead-Thrower
01-20-2011, 8:58 PM
I was there on Tuesday and it was trashed (holiday weekend I guess). I spent about an hour hauling large trash off of the range (large cardboard boxes, wooden crates, a few computer monitors, a car battery charger, etc.). Pisses me off that people are given a great place to go shoot (thats FREE!), and they absolutely trash it.

So yeah, definitely count me in for the 5th. I will plan on being there at 7 AM. I'll be the skinny blonde guy with a white Ford sedan and a USP on my belt. :)

Deadon
01-23-2011, 9:43 AM
I was there the 22nd. WOW unreal how fast this range can become a mess. I was out there last weekend and the place looked pretty good. This weekend destroyed! Boxes crates ect ect. Seems none of these people like to pick up their messes.
The people trying to collect brass are getting brave. I have a Russian dude come up to my table and started to pick up my brass. I told him I keep my brass. He then picked up one of my 5.7 rounds and asked, your shooting this! Unreal!
Call for a clear and we had two bucket grabbers under our table. If this BS doesnt stop theres going to be drama.

Lead-Thrower
01-23-2011, 11:27 AM
I was there the 22nd. WOW unreal how fast this range can become a mess. I was out there last weekend and the place looked pretty good. This weekend destroyed! Boxes crates ect ect. Seems none of these people like to pick up their messes.
The people trying to collect brass are getting brave. I have a Russian dude come up to my table and started to pick up my brass. I told him I keep my brass. He then picked up one of my 5.7 rounds and asked, your shooting this! Unreal!
Call for a clear and we had two bucket grabbers under our table. If this BS doesnt stop theres going to be drama.

Do you wear a sidearm out there? I have found that wearing one usually helps keep idiots away from me (not all of them, but most).

Deadon
01-23-2011, 8:46 PM
Yes, 5.7x28 Im 6'4 250lbs. Hasnt changed a thing.

Lead-Thrower
01-23-2011, 9:42 PM
Yes, 5.7x28 Im 6'4 250lbs. Hasnt changed a thing.

Hm. I guess as you say, they are just getting bolder. I have been going there for a while, and it used to be just an occasional run in with sketchy people (made me especially nervous when they would eye my stuff). Now I am not a very big guy (6'0", 145 lbs), so I started LOC'ing my USP and people seemed to have more "respect" :chris: Of course, I also try not to go alone. But man, it sucks that more and more idiots hang out there now...

pyromensch
01-24-2011, 8:44 PM

probably the same guy i encountered 6-8 months ago.
told him, to leave our brass alone, and he says, what are you shooting, i told him, everything. complete a h

Rigma
01-31-2011, 12:07 AM
Confirmed. I'll be there and hopefully bring a few extra hands with me.

yuccales
01-31-2011, 6:06 PM
Kinda off topic, but I would like to thank all of you out there today from around 11:00 to 1:30 for being safe and mature shooters. The wife and I enjoyed a good day of shooting with great weather. It is so nice to not have to worry about your fellow shooters. Thanks again!

Lead-Thrower
01-31-2011, 9:21 PM
I will bring a couple of shovels and rakes, and some large garbage bags. Unfortunately I don't have a truck for hauling the junk out of there, but DFG will come pick it up (eventually).

See you guys there on Saturday! I will be there early...very early. :cool:

Deadon
02-01-2011, 11:33 AM
I have a truck but I have a bad back. I can try but I dont know how much help I'd be. If Im needed please let me know.

ZombieTactics
02-01-2011, 2:54 PM
Does anyone mind if I do a video? I'd like to integrate this with the idea of actively working to preserve our rights through this kind of responsible activity.

pyromensch
02-01-2011, 8:51 PM
looks like we are on the mark. dead on can hold zombie's camera, as long as all "trackable" info is blocked, (like i care!) a compadre, would like to test out a new firearm, when the clean-up is through. any local "placer county" res, know where a dump is? so that we can dispose of the trash?
i'll be leaving sac at approx 7am
i can be reached at 916-769-7103
ask for your mamma

USMC VET
02-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Ill be there with a whole lotta hands round 9.

Coded-Dude
02-02-2011, 7:20 AM
the dump is right behind the casino just between lincoln and roseville. Just plug these coordinates into the google maps search bar. its on athens(between fiddyment/wallegra and industrial): 38.837167,-121.341076

coming back down the 65 you'd get off at twin bridges and go south on industrial until you hit athens.

AF_MSgt
02-03-2011, 8:11 AM
Reminder: This Saturday, February 5th at 0800HRS for clean-up.

We'll see you there!

Lead-Thrower
02-03-2011, 10:05 PM
I would recommend getting there earlier than 8 if you want a spot...

dreslinger
02-03-2011, 10:30 PM
I was going to show up with my son until my work informed me that we will be working this Saturday. :( I hope to make one. I love spenceville during the week. slow and empty.

pyromensch
02-05-2011, 11:05 AM
the clean-up turned out to be a bust, too many shooters already there, got a bag of casings, and shotgun hulls that were already piled up.
going to have to make this thing on a weekday, or tomorrow afternoon. only serious shooters will be there during superbowl.
met with Zombietactics though, and got to shoot "thefinger's" new lcp.

Lead-Thrower
02-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Yeah, I got there at 7 AM and there were already 4 or 5 cars there. Still cleaned up a bit though, and met Zombie Tactics and Scoobie.

USMC VET
02-05-2011, 12:20 PM
I was there at 8:02 and met up with AFMSGT(sp), took home about 3 bags of shotty casing that were around and then everything I shot. Wasnt really organized as a whole range clean-up but I think I did my part....even got my pops to help.

scoob_i_e
02-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Yep, bust would probably describe the cleanup attempt this time around at least.

Oh well... Here's some photos to show the usual Spenceville. At least there are no washers/dryers, tv's, computer towers, automobile bodies, house fixtures, etc. Or did the guys that got there at the crack of dawn already clear all that out before the pics were taken? :D

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac283/scoob_i_e/1-6.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac283/scoob_i_e/2-5.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac283/scoob_i_e/3-4.jpg

Wnick308
02-05-2011, 3:50 PM
WOW!!! :eek: That looks realy clean! I have never seen it like that.

USMC VET
02-05-2011, 3:52 PM
No we "crack of dawn" guys didn't clear any big stuff. Just the usual plastic jugs, cardboard, etc..

ZombieTactics
02-05-2011, 4:10 PM
It was nice to meet everyone. Next time we should try for a weekday if at all possible. I think we'd have a better chance of getting ahead of all the shooters.

guns4funca
02-05-2011, 4:31 PM
Yep, bust would probably describe the cleanup attempt this time around at least.

Oh well... Here's some photos to show the usual Spenceville. At least there are no washers/dryers, tv's, computer towers, automobile bodies, house fixtures, etc. Or did the guys that got there at the crack of dawn already clear all that out before the pics were taken? :D

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac283/scoob_i_e/1-6.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac283/scoob_i_e/2-5.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac283/scoob_i_e/3-4.jpg

Looks good guys keep up the hard work.

pyromensch
02-05-2011, 6:14 PM
scoob
i don't recall seeing you there, did you shave, and drive something different, or shed the overcoat?
zombie took some pics of the line, and i will post one or two in a minute

USMC VET
02-05-2011, 7:03 PM
Pyro, pics aren't working

Lead-Thrower
02-05-2011, 7:16 PM
this is my view at 9 am

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=84736&stc=1&d=1296962310

and by your pics, you were there earlier.

8 am was the "call for" time and 9 am, was when af msgt said he, and a crew were going to be there.
i walked around , met zombie, a guy, that said he was there for the clean-up. (former army airborne, by his shirt, eric), but didn't know who else to talk to.

need a contact, (visual), where do we get calguns t-shirts? then we know who is there, for what.

Yeah, Calguns T-shirts would be nice...

Rigma
02-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Got there a bit after 7am. Linked up with a few Calguns people...but missed just as many it seems. Eric (the newly ex-Army guy) is my friend I invited.

While the clean up effort fell short, you can at least call it a moderately successful recruitment effort. My friend was pleased to meet some nice people, and as a newly repatriated Kalifornian, I think he is now sold on the Calguns community.

I guess this shows how useful some "identifiers" would be. Some Calguns shirts shirts, hats, stickers or patches might have helped.

Since there is a nice assortment available to order off the forums, I will make sure I'm sporting one and representing us well on my next outing.

codebluepnk
02-06-2011, 8:56 AM
Was out shooting at spencerville yesterday. I saw some guys going around talking about a cal guns cleanup. Thought that was cool. Ive been shooting there for probably ten years and ive seen the place pretty bad. It wasnt very bad yesterday compared to how it can get. I always do my best to clean up my own mess at least. Just wanted to say good job and i hope that the cleanup helps keep the range open. It would be terrible to see it closed as i go there and shoot at least once a month. I will do my best to help out when i am there. Thanks guys

scoob_i_e
02-06-2011, 5:20 PM
Hah. It's funny because I was actually on the lookout for you after I noticed your message on this thread saying you'd be out there. But yeah I don't know..... I even walked up and down the firing line asking whether people were there with calguns for the cleanup so I could get a volunteer list compiled. And even then I still managed not to bump into you.

scoob
i don't recall seeing you there, did you shave, and drive something different, or shed the overcoat?
zombie took some pics of the line, and i will post one or two in a minute

pyromensch
02-06-2011, 8:28 PM
well it was there, in the same truck, but maybe i threw you off, by not towing a golf cart behind me.
and i met eric, thought he might have might have been af msgt, by the the dod decal, and out of state plates. he said he was there for the clean-up, but wasn't calguns, but we might have a recruit.

Deadon
02-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Sorry I didnt make it this time around. My buddy had his baby that morning and my plans had to change.

ZombieTactics
02-08-2011, 6:45 PM
... need a contact, (visual), where do we get calguns t-shirts? then we know who is there, for what.
If we could get everyone to do something as simple as put a antenna-topper on their car (lol), and wear a lime green armband or something equally obvious, that'd work. ;)

pyromensch
02-10-2011, 7:25 AM
this my view at 9am

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=85378&d=1297354916

8 am was the "call for" time and 9 am, was when af msgt said he, and a crew were going to be there.
i walked around , met zombie, a guy, that said he was there for the clean-up. (former army airborne, by his shirt, eric), but didn't know who else to talk to.

need a contact, (visual), where do we get calguns t-shirts? then we know who is there, for what.

there, finally got it to work, reposted

omgwtfbbq
02-10-2011, 12:17 PM
I was actually there Friday, the day before the clean up, and man oh man be glad you guys weren't there. Clean up would have been impossible. There was a group of 20-something wanna-be urban D-bags with illegally configured firearms (a century arms Draco with a 30rnd mag and no lock, an AR with a 100rnd drum, and an AK with 30rnd mags, no lock, and a folding stock that made the OAL less that California standard) Not that this in and of itself annoys me, but the fact that they were dumping rounds into the dirt not 15ft from the shooting benches, standing on the tops of the tables and shooting, and shooting at other shooters targets, and smoking dope in their cars... irritated me just a smidge. -END RANT

Anyways I had planned on making the clean-up day but my work had me pull an extra shift Saturday. I am down when/if another cleanup gets set up.

NorCalRedneck
02-11-2011, 1:17 AM
I was actually there Friday, the day before the clean up, and man oh man be glad you guys weren't there. Clean up would have been impossible. There was a group of 20-something wanna-be urban D-bags with illegally configured firearms (a century arms Draco with a 30rnd mag and no lock, an AR with a 100rnd drum, and an AK with 30rnd mags, no lock, and a folding stock that made the OAL less that California standard) Not that this in and of itself annoys me, but the fact that they were dumping rounds into the dirt not 15ft from the shooting benches, standing on the tops of the tables and shooting, and shooting at other shooters targets, and smoking dope in their cars... irritated me just a smidge. -END RANT

Anyways I had planned on making the clean-up day but my work had me pull an extra shift Saturday. I am down when/if another cleanup gets set up.

The illegal firearms don't bother me so much as long as they are using them safely. Its their problem when they get caught with them not mine. But if they were smoking dope while shooting I would have got a call out to the Sheriff. That just puts everyone else at the range at risk.

Sounds like they weren't being too safe overall though.

I wish I would have seen this sooner. I would have come out and at least met some of you guys.

USMC VET
02-11-2011, 2:42 PM
this my view at 9am

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=85378&d=1297354916

there, finally got it to work, reposted

I was there all the way on the other side, next to the guy in white at the top of your photo. Was that you doing all the bump firing?

Lead-Thrower
02-11-2011, 4:16 PM
I was there all the way on the other side, next to the guy in white at the top of your photo. Was that you doing all the bump firing?

Haha, that was my buddy doing some of the bump firing. He is pretty good at it, for a second I though he had a fun switch on that thing... :)

USMC VET
02-11-2011, 6:11 PM
My friend wanted to try it with his garand, I advised him against it as none of us are pros at it.

Lead-Thrower
02-11-2011, 6:37 PM
My friend wanted to try it with his garand, I advised him against it as none of us are pros at it.

Yeah, thats a pretty big gun to be bump firing. I would only do it with .223 or 7.62x39 and I still suck at it (draws too much attention anyways).

omgwtfbbq
02-11-2011, 8:43 PM
The illegal firearms don't bother me so much as long as they are using them safely. Its their problem when they get caught with them not mine. But if they were smoking dope while shooting I would have got a call out to the Sheriff. That just puts everyone else at the range at risk.

Sounds like they weren't being too safe overall though.

I wish I would have seen this sooner. I would have come out and at least met some of you guys.

Yeah for me it's not so much that they were using the illegal guns but more so that they weren't being safe with their firearms.

I'm still interested in another clean-up attempt btw.

codebluepnk
02-12-2011, 1:47 PM
I was at the second table in the picture and I was the one bump firing my cal legal AR. It was funny how quiet the range got when i did it. Somebody told me to be safe and thought i had high capacity mags. However i take pride in my safety and my mags were legal riveted 10/30 pmags.
The thing i didnt like was the skeet shooting kids that set up 3 ft from my bench right next to me. Thats not safe in my opinion. They also drove right up and began shooting my clays i had out for .22 shooting. had to tell them to stop. just overcrowded. Glad i got the good shooting in early before everyone arrived.
Oh well still a good day

pyromensch
02-12-2011, 8:37 PM

actually, all i brought were implements of destruction, rakes, shovels, wheelbarrel. "thefinger" brought his new lcp, and glock (whatever number 9mm), and we ended up shooting those. now, if i knew it was going to be , and "all shoot", i would have brought my implements of "peace"

pyromensch
02-12-2011, 8:41 PM

oh, it was your friend, with the "boom stick"! i got a sunburn, from the muzzle flash on that thing. it made me wonder how the enemy, in WW2, and korea, couldn't find the people that was shooting at them. unless it was jarheads shooting at them, then they wouldn't have a chance to look, again.

pyromensch
02-12-2011, 8:44 PM
zombietactics, had an idea, if/when we rearrange this. for those vehicles that have antennas, tie a ribbon, on the tip, red should be an easy to get color. that way, we will all know who, is there, for what.

Lead-Thrower
02-12-2011, 9:16 PM
zombietactics, had an idea, if/when we rearrange this. for those vehicles that have antennas, tie a ribbon, on the tip, red should be an easy to get color. that way, we will all know who, is there, for what.

Thats an excellent idea. Still need to get me a Calguns shirt though...

codebluepnk
02-13-2011, 7:20 AM
Shirts would be awesome does calguns have any? did i miss that part. Cause i would def. buy a shirt and sport it everywhere.

Deadon
02-13-2011, 7:42 AM
Was there yesterday and the place was the cleanest Ive seen it.