PDA

View Full Version : Glock 34/35 question..

viet4lifeOC
09-09-2010, 11:34 PM
NEED ADVICE QUICK...

I plan to PPT a Glock 35 tomorrow. G34 was my first choice because I'm trying to stick with 9mm and .45s. I went with the G35 cause of the price ($490) and got tired of looking for a G34 in the calguns classifieds. This will be my first glock purchase. I have limited glock experience- less than 300 rounds through a G17.

Reading from this post...I can buy the G35 and then buy a 34 barrel for less than $100. I then just need to "drop in" the G34 barrel and buy 9mm 10 round magazines. No need for a gunsmith? Just drop G34 barrel in and I am GTG?

I love the standard U shaped white rear sights. I'd like to get red fiber optic front sights with POA/POI. I have a hard time shooting 6 O'clock. Is it easy to install the front sights or will I need a gunsmith? Have a link to red front
fiber optic sight with POA/POI?

Lastly, I asked the seller if he could disassemble the gun for me to inspect. Round count is 200. What am I looking for during inspection? My first and only PPT (until this G35) I didn't even inspect the gun. Stupid me. I generally buy new guns from online retailers to compensate for my lack of gun knowledge. Please use basic terms..ie I don't even know what a sear is or where it's located.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.. Weblinks (ie best bang for the buck manufacture of G34 drop in barrels for the G35) would be very helpful.

Thanks

SJgunguy24
09-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Yes and no. Ideally you want a complete upper and ejector for 100% reliability, but for plinking you can go with the conversion barrel.

Make sure you get the conversion barrel, that will be a tad thicker to make up for the lack of bullet diameter. Lone wolf, the Glock Store, Brownell's, Midway, you know the usual place for parts.

meangreen46
09-09-2010, 11:52 PM
NEED ADVICE QUICK...

I plan to PPT a Glock 35 tomorrow. G34 was my first choice because I'm trying to stick with 9mm and .45s. I went with the G35 cause of the price ($490) and got tired of looking for a G34 in the calguns classifieds. This will be my first glock purchase. I have limited glock experience- less than 300 rounds through a G17.

Reading from this post...I can buy the G35 and then buy a 34 barrel for less than $100. I then just need to "drop in" the G34 barrel and buy 9mm 10 round magazines. No need for a gunsmith? Just drop G34 barrel in and I am GTG?

Best one....IMHO

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1043&CAT=241

JTROKS
09-09-2010, 11:52 PM
I have a G35 with a 9mm, 40-9 LW conversion barrel. I don't think the G34 barrel will work with the G35, it will rattle too much with a very bad fit. I have a 9mm extractor and ejector on mine and it has not given me any feeding or extracting problems. The only problems I had are with light loads that factors out to 125. They are 125 grain bullets loaded to an average of 1000 fps. The problem is finding the right light recoil spring combination and striker spring. Too light of a recoil spring and the slide will actually travel rearward when the trigger is being pulled. You will need a 13lb recoil spring and a 4lb striker spring and hope that it works. I say just go with a 14lb recoil spring then use a 4lb striker spring and shoot standard 9mm loads.

Greg-Dawg
09-09-2010, 11:53 PM
The best way to inpect, is to shoot.

I have a G35, my first also. Don't do the conversion because reliability will be an issue. Stick to the caliber it is meant for.

Shenaniguns
09-10-2010, 5:53 AM
The best way to inpect, is to shoot.

I have a G35, my first also. Don't do the conversion because reliability will be an issue. Stick to the caliber it is meant for.

Exactly unless it's a .357 sig to .40 conversion.

hottoysonwheels
09-10-2010, 7:20 AM
The LW 40-9 conversion barrel with your G17 mags is a straight drop in conversion that works great as it does for me.

viet4lifeOC
09-10-2010, 8:18 AM
great advices..but I am still confused :) Some say yes..some say no.

Can I or can I not get the lone wolf 40-9 conversion barrel with G17 magazines and I am GTG without a gunsmith?

Hottoysonwheels...did your gun rattled as some suggested with the 40-9 conversion barrel?

Is it asking the seller too much if he could meet me up at a range in Huntington Beach---shoot the gun with my ammo--then ask him to drive to a Turner's in Orange to PPT the gun? It would be a 10-15 mile drive.

thanks

bak
09-10-2010, 8:22 AM
yes use a drop in conversion barrel to shoot 9mm. Use g17 mags. I have a kkm and never had a problem with several hundred rounds. It is a range gun only.

viet4lifeOC
09-10-2010, 8:50 AM
is the Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel the same one made by KKM?

I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could provide me with a direct web link to the Lone Wolf or KKM 40-9 conversion barrel (best price and customer service).

Do I specically need a 34 barrel to fit into the G35 because the barrel length is the same? Is the conversion barrel going to fit flush to the front slide?

Or is the conversion barrel the same length as a G17 and the barrel will sit inside the slide?

thanks again for all the advice on such short notice.

nn3453
09-10-2010, 9:24 AM
As has been said before, stick with the 40. One of the points of owning a Glock is to have an utterly reliable gun.

Or buy a G34.

bak
09-10-2010, 9:25 AM
is the Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel the same one made by KKM?
different companies

I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could provide me with a direct web link to the Lone Wolf or KKM 40-9 conversion barrel (best price and customer service).

http://www.kkmprecision.com/custom_pistol_barrels/home.php?cat=1

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1043&CAT=241

Do I specically need a 34 barrel to fit into the G35 because the barrel length is the same? Is the conversion barrel going to fit flush to the front slide?

YOU need a 35 conversion barrel

Or is the conversion barrel the same length as a G17 and the barrel will sit inside the slide?

G17 is a shorter barrel. A 35 conversion will fit flush just like the 35 .40 barrel

thanks again for all the advice on such short notice.

hope that helps

viet4lifeOC
09-10-2010, 9:33 AM
Thanks Bak,

I agree...sticking with either a G34 or G35 is the way to go. But been itching to get a G34 or G35, 40 S&W being widely and continuously available at Walmart (only caliber that has JHP for HD at Walmart), and a caliber between my two favorite (9 and 45)...AND THE GREAT DEAL..I think I get the G35...shoot it..see how it goes...get the conversion barrel as a back up plan. Being new...buying and even SELLING a gun seems out of the question. BUT who knows.

again--thanks everyone for your insight and input.

hottoysonwheels
09-10-2010, 9:38 AM
The LW barrel fits thight on the G35. I ran 100 rounds through them at the local IDPA match without a jam or hickup.

great advices..but I am still confused :) Some say yes..some say no.

Can I or can I not get the lone wolf 40-9 conversion barrel with G17 magazines and I am GTG without a gunsmith?

Hottoysonwheels...did your gun rattled as some suggested with the 40-9 conversion barrel?

Is it asking the seller too much if he could meet me up at a range in Huntington Beach---shoot the gun with my ammo--then ask him to drive to a Turner's in Orange to PPT the gun? It would be a 10-15 mile drive.

thanks

Greg-Dawg
09-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Just to be clear for to OP, you're dealing with factory vs. aftermarket parts. Just buy it, it's a Glock!!

bak
09-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Thanks Bak,

I agree...sticking with either a G34 or G35 is the way to go. But been itching to get a G34 or G35, 40 S&W being widely and continuously available at Walmart (only caliber that has JHP for HD at Walmart), and a caliber between my two favorite (9 and 45)...AND THE GREAT DEAL..I think I get the G35...shoot it..see how it goes...get the conversion barrel as a back up plan. Being new...buying and even SELLING a gun seems out of the question. BUT who knows.

again--thanks everyone for your insight and input.

i prefer the 34. I'm either a 9mm or a 45 shooter, got a great deal on the 35 upper so it is set up with conversion and dr optic.

meangreen46
09-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Just to be clear for to OP, you're dealing with factory vs. aftermarket parts. Just buy it, it's a Glock!!

I kinda have to agree with Greg-Dawg here. I have both and nothing beats the factory manufactured gun. When you start adding aftermarket parts...things can happen. Yes, it's more expensive....but I would save up for the whole gun. Just my .02 cents. Good luck.

crazy
09-10-2010, 12:14 PM
I have a 34 and I bought a LW barrel so I could shoot lead. Quality is good. I put about 300 rounds through it w/o any problems.

faterikcartman
09-10-2010, 6:00 PM
If you're going to use it for HD you may want to put the standard, heavier, connector in.

Greg-Dawg
09-10-2010, 6:03 PM
This will help.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/40SW31rounder009jpg.jpg

huck
09-10-2010, 6:03 PM
Shoot it as a .40 and be happy. I have a G34 and an FNP-40, so I buy both rounds and there's not THAT much of a difference in price to make it worth the trouble.

G35 is a good gun. Shoot .40 for a while and see if you really care.

Skter505
09-10-2010, 8:52 PM
Just get the 34. You say 490 for 35, I have seen the 34's for around 520. Check budsgunshop and topglock.

Foriegn power
09-10-2010, 9:01 PM
I'm getting a 34, with much contemplation about getting a 1911 etc I spoke with a close Ret. Cop he said if you want a no frills, easily maintained pistol that goes bang get a Glock and I believe him because I own one already and was wondering of trying something else. But I'm going Glock 34 something like $679? With 3.5 lb trigger!

BamBam-31
09-10-2010, 11:38 PM
I have a KKM 45 to 10mm conversion barrel in my G21sf, and it's been 100% and accurate to boot. Just needed the conversion barrel and the 10mm mags. I have a friend that did the G35 40 to 9mm conversion w/ a barrel and mag swap, and he seemed to have no problems with his set-up either. Keep in mind, however, both these guns are range plinkers and not duty/HD guns. For the latter, the stock barrel is best. I would swap out the OEM sights and maybe add an aftermarket part or two to smooth out the trigger, but that's about it.

As for the sights, try Dawson Precision. They have sets w/ the Dawson fiber optic front (the best one, IMHO, because the dot is small enough not to be overwhelming) and your choice of plain iron rear (Warren, Heinie, Dawson). Guys in my group all run Heinie rears with Dawson FO fronts. It's a nice set-up, serrations to reduce glare, nice clean lines, and the FO grabs your eyes. Easy enough to install on your own, provided you have a vise of some sort.

Congrats on the G35.