PDA

View Full Version : Carbine Course Holster

evolixsurf
09-09-2010, 11:15 PM
I am going to take a carbine class soon and need to get a secondary weapon holster. I think I want to go with either a super good thigh rig with mag pouch(s) or a belt rig. I like leather... I want a strap to secure it too. I like the desantis and galco "cop" and "fletch" but havent tried them on. Are those well positioned/designed for fairly quick and clean draw? Is there anything else like those that are better and around the same price? I really dont know what I am looking for and couldnt find out using the search. Any help would be great. I really dont like the non leather for some reason...

Thanks!

Black Majik
09-10-2010, 8:23 AM
For comfort, nothing really beats a belt holster. The Galcos you mentioned would work, but I would look into a good quality kydex holster with an open top. It'll provide a much faster draw, and you can usually adjust the tension of your holster to determine how much retention you want.

www.comp-tac.com

www.blade-tech.com

rudeboy3
09-10-2010, 8:26 AM
For a carbine class you probally want to get a real rugged holster, leather probally isnt the best choice. My favorite for that application would be a safariland and they come in either thigh rigs, or belt rigs. There is also a company that most like but im not sure of the name. I think its raven concealment(all the magpul guys like them which im guessing why everyone else jumped on the bandwagon)

Mute
09-10-2010, 8:50 AM
Are you going to use any kind of load bearing equipment? Sometimes that can interfere with a waist level belt holster, in which case, a thigh holster might work better. For thigh holsters, my personal preference is for either the Safariland 6004 or a G-Code SOC.

evolixsurf
09-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the responses so far. Cant wait to look into them when I get off of work. I wanted to know what type of belt holster the main instructor has on in the magpul carbine video. I know its not what I have been looking into but it looks like a good one.

Responding to the other load equipment: I am not exactly sure what I want to do for now. I was going to go cheap and get some belt mag holsters for my first class. Ultimately Id want that BCM m3 rig or whatever it is.

Untamed1972
09-10-2010, 12:29 PM
From experience you'll want something with some automatic retention, like some type of kydex. When doing transitions that last thing you wanna hafta worry about when reholstering is getting the strap resnapped before you move on. Been there, done that, got kydex.

I actually scored a SUPER sweet deal on an uncle mikes kydex and took the belt loops off and mounted inside a universal thigh holster I already had. Works pretty sweet. So I actually have a snap-strap but upon reholstering I just snap it in the kydex and worry about the strap later if at all.

Dhena81
09-10-2010, 1:51 PM
For a carbine class you probally want to get a real rugged holster, leather probally isnt the best choice. My favorite for that application would be a safariland and they come in either thigh rigs, or belt rigs. There is also a company that most like but im not sure of the name. I think its raven concealment(all the magpul guys like them which im guessing why everyone else jumped on the bandwagon)

+1 for Safariland good kydex

If Chris and Travis like something I usually check it out since they have tons of real world experience and have the luxury of finding out what works for them and there students. They are exposed to much more gear options than I am so there is nothing wrong with that.

Josh3239
09-10-2010, 2:16 PM
I'd also suggest a Safariland thigh holster. I personally prefer the SLS holsters, with practice you can draw just as fast as any other.