PDA

View Full Version : Why Do I Love Working At A Gun Store?

BattlefieldJosh
09-09-2010, 10:19 PM
It's Because there are those rare times like today when a customer comes in and "Needs Cash". So He Asks me if we buy guns. I say yes we do, what do you have? Out comes a (Brand New) Gen 3 Glock 17 with Night Sights. I look it over and if this gun has seen a shot it sure doesn't show it. Before I can ask what he wants for it he yells out...........I need $250 for it. I look up and say, "lets start the paperwork" and him him the cash.

I'm so happy, I can't wait to bring it home. I was not planning on getting another glock anytime soon, but I could not pass This deal up. It will go perfect with the 2 17rd Pre-Ban Mags I have from my other G17. I'll Get pictures up after it gets out of it's 40 Day jail Time(FDAS and DROS).

Cheers.

Josh.

Colt-45
09-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Damn. What a steal. Congratulations.

Joe
09-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Wow awesome deal. Hopefully its not a stolo

BattlefieldJosh
09-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Wow awesome deal. Hopefully its not a stolo

This is what I am hoping. Which is also why we (Dealers) do a FDAS (Firearm Dealer Acquisition System) Kinda like a reverse DROS, Does a background check on the seller and the weapon. But the Gentleman was early 50's maybe late 40's, and due to this wonderful economy is forced to leave his home of 30 odd years and move out of state. So I have high doubt it is stolen.

Plisk
09-09-2010, 10:33 PM
This is what I am hoping. Which is also why we (Dealers) do a FDAS (Firearm Dealer Acquisition System) Kinda like a reverse DROS, Does a background check on the seller and the weapon. But the Gentleman was early 50's maybe late 40's, and due to this wonderful economy is forced to leave his home of 30 odd years and move out of state. So I have high doubt it is stolen.

FDAS tagged a recent item that came in on consignment as something that was reported Lost/Stolen from Kmart inventory in 1998.

Your boss allows you to buy outright from customers without giving the shop first crack at it?

BattlefieldJosh
09-09-2010, 10:43 PM
FDAS tagged a recent item that came in on consignment as something that was reported Lost/Stolen from Kmart inventory in 1998.

Your boss allows you to buy outright from customers without giving the shop first crack at it?

I didn't enter this gun as a consignment. I entered it as a purchase. Although I hope it is not this one. :confused:

Yes, My boss gives certain Employees first crack at guns/items that come in. However we(Certain Employees) know not to abuse this privilege. :)

dg29
09-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Did you at least give him a french kiss and use protection? :shifty:

Colt-45
09-09-2010, 10:52 PM

Is that why I see dealers punching in the serial number of firearms into the computer while completing a PPT? Is it an instant check?

BattlefieldJosh
09-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Is that why I see dealers punching in the serial number of firearms into the computer while completing a PPT? Is it an instant check?

It is not for a PPT. Only for a Consignment or Purchase of a handgun from a customer. Dealers type in the serial # of the weapon because they are essentially registering the gun to the new owner. In a PPT a Dealer Enters who the gun is coming from (Seller), Who It is Going To (Buyer) and the Weapon that is being Purchased. Only if its a handgun do they enter It's information. Rifles and Shotguns do not get Serial #'s/Model #'s entered into DROS.

FDAS is not an Instant Check. It's even longer than a standard DROS. After we do a FDAS on a weapon we are required to hold it for 30 days before it can be DROS'd again. That's why I said it will be 40 days before I can bring it home. :(

BattlefieldJosh
09-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Did you at least give him a french kiss and use protection? :shifty:

I never kiss and tell, However I Always use Protection. Safety first right.

Plisk
09-09-2010, 11:18 PM
I didn't enter this gun as a consignment. I entered it as a purchase. Although I hope it is not this one. :confused:

Yes, My boss gives certain Employees first crack at guns/items that come in. However we(Certain Employees) know not to abuse this privilege. :)

Consign or buy, still runs through the same system. Either way, if there's something wrong with that Glock you'll know in a week or so.

Colt-45
09-09-2010, 11:22 PM
It is not for a PPT. Only for a Consignment or Purchase of a handgun from a customer. Dealers type in the serial # of the weapon because they are essentially registering the gun to the new owner. In a PPT a Dealer Enters who the gun is coming from (Seller), Who It is Going To (Buyer) and the Weapon that is being Purchased. Only if its a handgun do they enter It's information. Rifles and Shotguns do not get Serial #'s/Model #'s entered into DROS.

FDAS is not an Instant Check. It's even longer than a standard DROS. After we do a FDAS on a weapon we are required to hold it for 30 days before it can be DROS'd again. That's why I said it will be 40 days before I can bring it home. :(

I recently sold two rifles via PPT. I saw the dealer imputing the rifles serial number into the computer(this happened at two different shops). Do you know what this was for?

Lets stick to rifles for these questions. I know that Handguns are registered so serial numbers are imputed regardless, in order to switch owner.

dachan
09-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Perfect, a bunch of brothels just got shut down in the Bay Area, but now I know I can just go to the nearest gun store to get f***ed by the employees.

Secret
09-09-2010, 11:24 PM
WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Uhhlexxxis
09-09-2010, 11:34 PM
i haz a G19 Gen 4.. booya sucka. and i paid twice as much than your new primitive toy :p

Greg-Dawg
09-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Where do work at?

Bill Carson
09-09-2010, 11:59 PM
It's Because there are those rare times like today when a customer comes in and "Needs Cash". So He Asks me if we buy guns. I say yes we do, what do you have? Out comes a (Brand New) Gen 3 Glock 17 with Night Sights. I look it over and if this gun has seen a shot it sure doesn't show it. Before I can ask what he wants for it he yells out...........I need $250 for it. I look up and say, "lets start the paperwork" and him him the cash.

I'm so happy, I can't wait to bring it home. I was not planning on getting another glock anytime soon, but I could not pass This deal up. It will go perfect with the 2 17rd Pre-Ban Mags I have from my other G17. I'll Get pictures up after it gets out of it's 40 Day jail Time(FDAS and DROS).

Cheers.

Josh.Are you aware of the general consensus of calgunners opinions of gun store employees ?

BattlefieldJosh
09-10-2010, 12:27 AM
Consign or buy, still runs through the same system. Either way, if there's something wrong with that Glock you'll know in a week or so.

Guess So.

I recently sold two rifles via PPT. I saw the dealer imputing the rifles serial number into the computer(this happened at two different shops). Do you know what this was for?

Lets stick to rifles for these questions. I know that Handguns are registered so serial numbers are imputed regardless, in order to switch owner.

I Do not. I have never seen this happen before. I have done hundreds of DROS's On Long Guns and have never needed to input the S# into the Computer. The only time I use the S# of a Long Gun is when it gets logged into my acquisition and disposition book.

Perfect, a bunch of brothels just got shut down in the Bay Area, but now I know I can just go to the nearest gun store to get f***ed by the employees.

Good To Know. Let me know where those stores are. I would like to avoid getting f----d by gun store employees. Wouldn't be a pleasant experience I imagine.

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

:)

i haz a G19 Gen 4.. booya sucka. and i paid twice as much than your new primitive toy :p

I am Happy with the gun I got for the Price I Paid.

Where do work at?

Shouldn't Be too difficult to figure out.

Are you aware of the general consensus of calgunners opinions of gun store employees ?

No. I would hope Cal gunners would not stereotype all gun store employees. If you do then I feel sorry for you. Your life must be miserable. I am probably one of the nicest people you will ever meet. At least that's what customers have told me for 8 years or so.

voiceoftheright
09-10-2010, 1:25 AM
I have to agree with some who posted, if this guy was actually losing his house "of 30 years" and being forced to move then it's kind of a POS thing to be so stoked you got a deal on a gun. Maybe this dude's world is crumbling and you got a new Glock? Awesome. If not, then good for you and have fun with it. But how many top quality guns are going for $250 that aren't stolen these days? But seriously, have some decency if this guy is ACTUALLY having to move (unless you were just kidding) and keep your gloating to yourself. Inappropriate at best, dude.

BillCA
09-10-2010, 2:42 AM

Sadly, this is what we get in a state with overly restrictive gun laws.

What would have been a "fair" shop price for his G17 if he pushed for top dollar? $350? $400? $425?

So a fellow gun owner is on hard times, may be losing his house and selling his guns off just avoid being homeless or to feed himself and family. And you'd gladly short him $100 to take advantage of his plight?
So much for brotherhood-in-arms, eh?

A penninsula gun shop had a little old lady come in to sell her late husband's "Big ole gun". She said she needed to raise all the cash she could to stay in her house. Big old gun alright, and purty too. But the counterman offered to pay her $310 for an early 60's Colt Python barely used. The guy even winked at me like "can you believe this dopey old broad?" So I told the lady my Colt collector friend would give her much more for it. He did. Eventually he bought it from her for a "mere" $1985. Meanwhile, I've never been back to that gunshop.

Hornetsnest
09-10-2010, 3:15 AM
I am probably one of the nicest people you will ever meet.
Not really.

The nicest people I have ever met would have told the guy he could have easily PPTed a LNIB G17 for about $400.

There's a difference between getting a good deal off a guy who knows what he's doing vs pretty much taking advantage of a deperate guy who probably didn't really know the value of his pistol.

But whatever man.....Congrats on the new pistol :rolleyes:

metalliman545
09-10-2010, 3:15 AM
i see nothing wrong with that. nothing at all.

7.62x54R
09-10-2010, 3:32 AM
I dont work in a gun store but have bought guns that way. When someone needs cash they need it. Bought a New Colt 16" upper for 200$. If someone is willing and knows they are taking less i think its ok. Its when they have no idea of what things are worth and the value and price are way off its a no no.

deadlyapp
09-10-2010, 4:16 AM
Not really.

The nicest people I have ever met would have told the guy he could have easily PPTed a LNIB G17 for about $400.

There's a difference between getting a good deal off a guy who knows what he's doing vs pretty much taking advantage of a deperate guy who probably didn't really know the value of his pistol.

But whatever man.....Congrats on the new pistol :rolleyes:

Could have PPT'ed, would take longer to do. Any dealer offering consignment will be offering a lower than retail price so they can mark it up and make a profit accordingly. Even if this guy had offered a reasonable price I doubt it'd have been more than 50-100 more than what it was sold to him for.

I think it's a little shady that he took advantage of the guy, but the shop would have done it anyways, so who cares? The guy got the money he wanted, and the new owner is happy for the deal he got. Isn't that what its all about?

Cheep
09-10-2010, 4:36 AM
How did this guy take advantage of the seller when the seller told him the price?

glockwise2000
09-10-2010, 4:43 AM
There is a very mixed reactions in this thread. I know a lot are jealous at the guy getting a good deal at a LNIB G17 but the owner of the store could have offered a little bit lower than what the seller was asking for. This is a common practice at an FFL to make a profit to keep the business afloat. Though not fair, it happens. I saw it first hand in an FFL that I know.

Hornetsnest
09-10-2010, 6:02 AM
Could have PPT'ed, would take longer to do. Any dealer offering consignment will be offering a lower than retail price so they can mark it up and make a profit accordingly. Even if this guy had offered a reasonable price I doubt it'd have been more than 50-100 more than what it was sold to him for.

I think it's a little shady that he took advantage of the guy, but the shop would have done it anyways, so who cares? The guy got the money he wanted, and the new owner is happy for the deal he got. Isn't that what its all about?
There is a very mixed reactions in this thread. I know a lot are jealous at the guy getting a good deal at a LNIB G17 but the owner of the store could have offered a little bit lower than what the seller was asking for. This is a common practice at an FFL to make a profit to keep the business afloat. Though not fair, it happens. I saw it first hand in an FFL that I know.
So what we are saying is.....it's ok the seller got ripped off because if the buyer didn't do it, someone else (i.e. the shop) would have.

I agree that business isn't fair sometimes. Whatever. F**k um right? A fellow calgunner got a great deal off the not so smart desperate guy.....

ocspeedracer
09-10-2010, 6:27 AM
OMG people get off your high horses. The guy asked for $250, he got $250 and BattlefieldJosh got a deal.

It's not like the guy was asking for more and it's his fault if he wanted to get more for it, not shopping it around or selling consignment for more.

Rhythm of Life
09-10-2010, 6:30 AM
I see more and more selfish acts everyday....

I don't try and rip off the needy, parents taught me better.

SpringfieldEMP
09-10-2010, 6:40 AM
Wow. There is a lot of bashing of this guy.
Someone walks into the store and says, "I need 250 for this...". He is stating his lowest price. He could have walked in and said. How much can you give me for this? Or can you give me 300 for this. He could have gone to a pawn shop and pawned it for $300.

Geez. The guy asked for $250 and got it. He was happy, and so was the seller. I dont see a problem here...

SpringfieldEMP
09-10-2010, 6:43 AM
I don't try and rip off the needy, parents taught me better.

nether would I...
It is not ripping someone off if they ask if you would buy this for a price and you say yes.

If the guy walked in a said "I really need 250..." and you haggle him down to 200 when he really needs more. That gets shady... But paying what someone is asking is not.

caldude
09-10-2010, 6:54 AM
This thread reminds me of a recent Pawn Stars - woman brings in a Faberge broach (expensive jewelry) and wants $300 for it. Head guy at the pawn shop says he'd love to do that, but he has a conscience, and then offers $15,000. Moral of the story: Always know what you're selling and the approximate value, or you're going to be relying on the moral compass of the buyer.

BenjaminCA
09-10-2010, 7:03 AM
If a guy walks up to just about any cal-gunner and says, "I have this G17 to sell, I want $250 for it". I imagine that most if not everyone who had the money would say, "Ok, lets start the paperwork". The man named his price, that is all. There are plenty of guns for sale on this forum where the seller sounds hard up for cash. How many people see the deals, and how many think, "I should pay more for this"? Don't beat up on this guy for picking up a good deal, if you really live your life to a standard where you would offer more money to some one hard up for cash, then don't get on this guys case for buying a gun the way he did.

Wherryj
09-10-2010, 7:04 AM
Guess So.

I Do not. I have never seen this happen before. I have done hundreds of DROS's On Long Guns and have never needed to input the S# into the Computer. The only time I use the S# of a Long Gun is when it gets logged into my acquisition and disposition book.

Good To Know. Let me know where those stores are. I would like to avoid getting f----d by gun store employees. Wouldn't be a pleasant experience I imagine.

:)

I am Happy with the gun I got for the Price I Paid.

Shouldn't Be too difficult to figure out.

No. I would hope Cal gunners would not stereotype all gun store employees. If you do then I feel sorry for you. Your life must be miserable. I am probably one of the nicest people you will ever meet. At least that's what customers have told me for 8 years or so.

Believe it or not, I can verify that Matt at Dom's is a genuinely nice guy who doesn't spread FUD. That should at least break the stereotype, although it doesn't address that others out there who perfectly fit the CGF stereotype.

OneSevenDeuce
09-10-2010, 7:06 AM
Highway robbery! But hey, he got what he wanted out of it. I still don't know how I feel about it but if both of you are happy I guess it's ok.

Wherryj
09-10-2010, 7:09 AM
nether would I...
It is not ripping someone off if they ask if you would buy this for a price and you say yes.

If the guy walked in a said "I really need 250..." and you haggle him down to 200 when he really needs more. That gets shady... But paying what someone is asking is not.

I agree. That isn't quite like the Pawn story listed about someone asking $300 for a $20k+ item. This is close enough to a reasonable price, and it isn't like the store bartered down to that.

Am I supposed to feel guilty that I just bought a new in box Troy folding sight from a store charging $85 when everyone else currently wants $125, or should I have held my ethical ground and insisted on paying full price?

OneSevenDeuce
09-10-2010, 7:15 AM
I agree. That isn't quite like the Pawn story listed about someone asking $300 for a $20k+ item. This is close enough to a reasonable price, and it isn't like the store bartered down to that.

Am I supposed to feel guilty that I just bought a new in box Troy folding sight from a store charging $85 when everyone else currently wants $125, or should I have held my ethical ground and insisted on paying full price?

It is a reasonable price if he was trying to sell it to a store who was going to turn around and resell it. People usually do this when they need fast cash instead of trying to find an individual buyer who will pay closer to real value. Did the OP do something wrong by using his position working in a gun store to buy this gun at a steep discount? No, I don't think so. But damn, $250 is really low.

donger
09-10-2010, 7:21 AM
Good job screwing the seller. You're a stand up guy. Now go brag about it somewhere else.

SpringfieldEMP
09-10-2010, 7:23 AM
I don't understand your logic... It is ok to accept a lower price from a store but not from an individual? At the end of the day, its the same amount of cash in your hand. If you would accept 250 from a store, you should accept 250 from a PPT. BTW they list new online at $480. He got a 47.9% discount off new RETAIL price...

Greg-Dawg
09-10-2010, 7:25 AM
Glocks should go for $250.

dachan
09-10-2010, 7:31 AM

OMG people get off your high horses. The guy asked for $250, he got $250 and BattlefieldJosh got a deal.

It's not like the guy was asking for more and it's his fault if he wanted to get more for it, not shopping it around or selling consignment for more.

To clarify, I would much more appreciate (and frequent) a gun store where I'm honestly told the value of something I'm selling, and/or given the option of selling it on consignment or PPT instead of being taken for a patsy. For example, if the seller was told he could try to sell it on consignment, try to get $350, the store could still add $50 and it would still only be $400 and sell in a few days. Or the seller could be told of a wonderful forum for gun selling known as Calguns; the store could even offer to list it on Calguns and charge a similar $50 commission. Bottomline, give the customer a choice, $250 now, or $350 in a few days and a tiny bit more trouble; ethical business practices have a way of paying off in the long run.

DREADNOUGHT78
09-10-2010, 7:40 AM
Good deal. I don't see where the buyer did anything wrong. If the gun is not stolen the seller obviuosly paid for the weapon and knows what he paid for it. He set the price and that is that. What's with this holyier than thou crap? If the buyer was told $250 and then proceeded to offer less and got the pistol that would be a little rude but in the end the seller is the one who should have educated himself a little better. I am sure if he was a member here and posted that pistol up for $250 not one person would have complained about the price. And it would have sold in on minute and the only comments would be things like "damn I missed that" or "nice grab". If he would have taken it to a pawn shop he propably would have got less.

OneSevenDeuce
09-10-2010, 7:42 AM
edjucated

Hahaha. Sorry, that was funny. :D

OneSevenDeuce
09-10-2010, 7:46 AM
If you would accept 250 from a store, you should accept 250 from a PPT.

That's not really how it works. Have you ever gone into a gun store and tried to sell a gun to them for how much it's worth? No, of course not. That store has to make money off of it. They will only buy something from an individual near dealer cost. That way they can mark up the price to what the market generally says it is worth and make a few bucks.

When you PPT you are an individual selling a gun to another individual. You may sell the gun for value, under value, or over value. The choice is yours. But no, you should not expect to get the same from selling a gun to a store v. PPT. PPT will usually net you more money if you are willing to wait to find a buyer. That's why I say that people looking for quick cash will sell their guns to a store or a pawn shop and accept less cash rather than waiting to find a buyer.

DREADNOUGHT78
09-10-2010, 7:46 AM
Hahaha. Sorry, that was funny. :D

Haha sorry still half asleep!

PatriotnMore
09-10-2010, 7:49 AM
It's one of those perk items that comes with being in the business. I would imagine the average employee is not allowed to negotiate a personal sell price, before the shop owner has first chance at buying, or passing on it.

rp55
09-10-2010, 8:22 AM
Glocks should go for $250.

Nah, that's too much. They should be turned in to a gun buyback for a $100 Home Depot Gift Card.

maddoggie13
09-10-2010, 8:34 AM
I can never work or own a gun store...I would be have no $$$.

mrlightning559
09-10-2010, 8:52 AM
Wow Give the guy a break...I wouldn't come on a forum and brag but you better believe I'll take a straight up deal, which is what this was. Go to a gunstore with your g17 today and see what they'll offer. Or go to a pawn store, believe me you won't find any pawn stars:)

zeus45c
09-10-2010, 9:01 AM
Seriously. I can't believe this many people are siding with the seller on this one. He walked in and stated a price. Sure he is hard up for funds but no one knows why. He may have blew his whole life away in Vegas for a two month ride full of gambling, drugs, and whores. Am I to feel sorry for every person that has a sob story. If I remember correctly, many people on this forum believe that these type of assumptions are the primary issues facing the country today.

The seller could have easily started with a higher price or even do a little bit of research. Five minutes on Google would have been enough. Now, if said seller came in saying he was trying to raise money to pay for his son's cancer meds, then I would have sponsored a raffle / fundraiser for the guy and his cause. But in the end, he stated a price and someone accepted.

halifax
09-10-2010, 9:08 AM
Seriously. I can't believe this many people are siding with the seller on this one. He walked in and stated a price. Sure he is hard up for funds but no one knows why. He may have blew his whole life away in Vegas for a two month ride full of gambling, drugs, and whores. Am I to feel sorry for every person that has a sob story. If I remember correctly, many people on this forum believe that these type of assumptions are the primary issues facing the country today.

The seller could have easily started with a higher price or even do a little bit of research. Five minutes on Google would have been enough. Now, if said seller came in saying he was trying to raise money to pay for his son's cancer meds, then I would have sponsored a raffle / fundraiser for the guy and his cause. But in the end, he stated a price and someone accepted.

Exactly!

Probably just envious that someone else said "I'll take it" on a good offer.

Rule .308
09-10-2010, 9:18 AM
Sounds like a good deal on a Glock, good for the OP, the seller got what he asked for, right now with no hassles. Many times things decisions come down to a matter of "cheap, fast, or good, pick any two you want". The old dude got it done fast and good which requires him to not see full potential i.e. "cheap". To all of the naysayers in this thread, you really need to try running your own business sometime, it is a real eye opener.

BoostedPenGuin
09-10-2010, 9:19 AM
I really cant believe the direction this thread went.... It reminds me of 4chan.

Someone is hard up on money, needs money asap. Gun shop will provide that.

Get off your moral high horse and come back down to reality.

DaveFJ80
09-10-2010, 9:28 AM
lol at the haters and comments on this thread. OP just happened to be at the right place at the right time, and if most of you were given the same opportunity I'm sure you would jump all over it as well.

Either way, nice pickup... if everything checks out with the gun (ie. not stolen).

paul0660
09-10-2010, 9:36 AM
If the gun is not stolen the seller obviuosly paid for the weapon and knows what he paid for it.

That's why the gun is stolen.

mixwell
09-10-2010, 9:44 AM
I don't get where the seller got "ripped off", he knows what he paid retail for his Glock AND he knows what he was asking for it and he got it. Some of you are treating as if the poster some how tricked the seller into asking $250. Good for you on your pickup poster, it appears you AND the seller were BOTH satisfied with your transaction

So next time you guys get a good deal on something you should feel guilty because you're ripping of a person/establishment because America isn't about capitalism right?

I'm going to Costco right now so I can buy a supply of vagisil and I will PM it to some of you guys. :rolleyes:

viet4lifeOC
09-10-2010, 9:55 AM
good arguments on both side, but let's not "if you were put into his place..you would have done/not done this/that." Projecting what you would do to other is a weak argument.

Personally, I think most of us have to make moral decisions on a daily basis.

Me..I would have told the customer the appropriate value of the gun after he told me his asking price. I would then give him some advice on the best way of getting the most for the gun. Again, dude is losing his house. Not going to help to save his house, but I imagine it will help nonetheless.

Now..say the seller says he knows the value of the gun, but desperately needs the money ASAP, then I would buy the gun from him..win-win situation.

I'm not going to say what the OP did was wrong or right because I don't know what the seller knew. If seller knew the value of the G17...but wanted $250...both buyer/seller got what they wanted. But if the seller had no clue to its value...and I bought it at $250..I would feel shiietty.

After all--it's a G17 for $250, a man losing a "30 years" home desperate for money...what tilts the moral scale FOR ME would be "did the seller know the gun's value?"

Plisk
09-10-2010, 10:07 AM
This thread reminds me of a recent Pawn Stars - woman brings in a Faberge broach (expensive jewelry) and wants $300 for it. Head guy at the pawn shop says he'd love to do that, but he has a conscience, and then offers $15,000. Moral of the story: Always know what you're selling and the approximate value, or you're going to be relying on the moral compass of the buyer.

Cept she wanted $2000 to start, and he jumped to $15000.

The fact of the seller selling his Glock for that much could be a number of things.

A LOT of people have been trying to sell their guns to us lately. A lot of them know what they're worth and price them to sell. It's possible that's what this guy did. We got a Glock 21OD on consignment, all it's factory goodies and about 350 fired, and its on the shelf for $385. It's just priced to sell.

mixwell
09-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Now..say the seller says he knows the value of the gun, but desperately needs the money ASAP, then I would buy the gun from him..win-win situation.

I'm not going to say what the OP did was wrong or right because I don't know what the seller knew. If seller knew the value of the G17...but wanted $250...both buyer/seller got what they wanted. But if the seller had no clue to its value...and I bought it at $250..I would feel shiietty.

After all--it's a G17 for $250, a man losing a "30 years" home desperate for money...what tilts the moral scale FOR ME would be "did the seller know the gun's value?"

How could he not know the value ? I mean (assuming) he did buy the gun brand new retail so he has to have SOME idea on it's value.

viet4lifeOC
09-10-2010, 10:20 AM
How could he not know the value ? I mean (assuming) he did buy the gun brand new retail so he has to have SOME idea on it's value.

That's my point..If I was in the OPs position, I would get an idea if the seller knew the value of the gun or not and then act accordingly.

But since I don't know if the seller knew or not..I reserve judgement on the OP.

Greg-Dawg
09-10-2010, 10:25 AM
You all are just jealous because you wish you could be like the OP. So to the OP: We hate you!

viet4lifeOC
09-10-2010, 10:28 AM
I only started this hobby 6 months ago...I've bought a handgun every 30 days. Bought two via PPT to get away from the 1 per 30. And seriously...I still don't know the value of most guns. I hesitate to sell some guns I have right now that I have grown out of(say the Sig Mosquito or XD9 tactical), but I have free time to read up and find out the going rate of these used gun.

I imagine the seller--stressed out and desperate as he is--didn't have time to find out.

wheels
09-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Free market 101 - seller said what he wanted for the gun, buyer said yes. The seller could have asked what it was worth - he didn't. End of story - good deal OP, glad working in a gun shop has some perks. I'm sure it can be a PITA as well.

viet4lifeOC
09-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Was the OP wrong or right in what he did? I don't know because I don't know what the seller knew. I can't be any simplier than that.

RedFord150
09-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Sounds like the seller valued his gun as most consumer items are valued;
You bought a couch for $500 last year, how much is it worth today?
You bought a car for $30K 5 years ago, what is trade-in value today?
Your wife has a Diamond ring she paid $5K for, what does Pawn Shop give you today?

The G17 new with Night Sights is around $600. The seller figured a dealer would give him less than half. I'll bet this is how he decided on a price.
Anyway, the OP did not lie or mislead seller. Seller named a price, OP could have 'low balled' him and he probably would have accepted less $. OP did not do this.
If I were the seller, I would have named a high price and let OP talk me down to a fair price.

metalliman545
09-10-2010, 10:49 AM
when someone is ignorant about what they have its their own problem. its not like the dude was like come on please give me more money please more, cant you give me a better deal.

he said 250 he got 250 both parties are happy with it.
you may as well hate pawnshops because they do this 1000000x times worse

rudeboy3
09-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Some of you really are a joke. The guy who bought the gun got a great deal as well as helped the down and out guy out. Nothing more nothing less. You people wonder why pawn shops, used guns, consignments, etc are so damn expensive now, its because of the attiutude "it might be used but im still gonna get msrp for it". Its USED, it used to be once you bought it and left the store the price goes down 50% automatically but now it seems like everyone thinks there item is worth 90% of what they bought it for. Man some of you sound like true obama voters. Anyway to the OP great buy and thank you for HELPING the guy who needed fast cash, I chose to do a different public service but my dad has been doing exactly what you did for 35 years and has truely helped a number of people.

1911Luvr
09-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Why is everybody mad at this? If anyone came to you and offered you a gun you wanted at a nice price, would you say, "hold up a minute buddy, let me give you more for it"? Let's first remember that this is a business he went into to sell his gun. That means the business needs to buy it and be able to mark it up for sale. That price he asked for the gun allowed the shop to do that. The gun store then allowed the employee to buy it at the price the shop paid, so where is the ripoff? If the guy had gone to a pawn shop, he likely would have got even less as they routinely lowball anyone to get the best price- just business. If the customer didn't like it, he could have left. I'm certain he knew what he paid for the gun originally and I'm willing to bet he would have tried to sell it for more if he had the time to wait- which it seems obvious he did not. So again I ask, where is the problem?

It's good to know though, that if I need money and need to sell one of my guns, I can contact the people in this thread and they will all pay me top dollar for it. Better yet, if I offer it too cheap it is good to know that they will give me more than I ask!

pkc168
09-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Congratulations to the OP. That's a smoking deal, best I saw in a shop was $350 for a G17.

DannyInSoCal
09-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Sounds to me like the seller has bigger issues than if he could've made an extra $50 or $100 by waiting a few weeks...

The seller got his asking price - The buyer got a great deal.

Everything else is just a disconnected worthless opinion...

Thanx, DISC

RobG
09-10-2010, 11:15 AM
So if the seller came here and posted it FS for 250.00 none of you would buy it? Right:rolleyes: The guy wanted 250.00 and got 250.00. How do you know he didn't get it for cheap? Or maybe free from some NRA dinner raffle. And if he did buy it new, he knew what kind of loss he was taking. The seller was certainly not uninformed in this situation. Most of the time its bi*ching about "price gouging" now its pricing that is too low?

RobG
09-10-2010, 11:20 AM
It's good to know though, that if I need money and need to sell one of my guns, I can contact the people in this thread and they will all pay me top dollar for it. Better yet, if I offer it too cheap it is good to know that they will give me more than I ask!

Aren't all Calgunners awesome:rolleyes:

TurboChrisB
09-10-2010, 11:23 AM
I don't get it.....I think you're all either not reading this right or are full of it. Every single one of you has gotten a good deal somewhere somehow. Either a contractor who submitted the lowest bid got the job...or a mechanic looked over your vehicle and said...no charge...I could go on and on. Anyone here who states that they will only pay what they believe 'should' be fair when offered a discount is lying.

mecam
09-10-2010, 11:23 AM
You paid too much. I can get a Glock 17 for $150 in Oakland. ;)

Rob454
09-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Wow the OP is ever so humble. I don't care if you got a deal on the gun. The seller said his price. IMO its the sellers problem for not educating himself. Hopefully you will never find yourself that other side of the counter. I think we all have been on one side or the other at one time or another. Good luck with your new gun. i think a lot of people would buy the gun without even thinking twice for that price. But you don't need to gloat about it which IMO seems to be what you are doing.

johnthomas
09-10-2010, 11:50 AM
If a man has no idea what his gun is worth, that's his fault. It is obvious that the gun was worth 250.00 to him. That said, the gun was worth 250.00 and he got what it was worth to him. When I buy second hand anything, I don't barter for a lower price, and I don't barter for a higher price.

S.A.
09-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Hey guy's be careful of the "deals" you find in here! Earlier this year I saw a pre-lock S&W610 on Turner's consignment web site for $500.00! Great price!Minutes later an ad appears here in "for sale" section, $1300.00 for a S&W610! The same gun! The seller provided pics of gun still inside Turner's display case, with blurred out price tag! Yea were on the high road here. OP, looks to me your seller was not mislead.

berto
09-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Seller got his price. Buyer got a great deal. Win-win. Can't fault the buyer for paying asking price no matter how low.

meangreen46
09-10-2010, 12:16 PM
I agree..

I prefer to sleep sound at night without wondering if I made the right decisions that day..

I could never have allowed myself to take advantage of someone that way.. I would have kindly advised him of the approximate value and made an appropriate offer.. that would give me a much better feeling than owning a new gun..

I don't need anything, guns or otherwise that bad..

Couldn't have said it better myself! Karma is a bytch. Not faulting either party.....just couldn't do it myself.

jdberger
09-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Good job screwing the seller. You're a stand up guy. Now go brag about it somewhere else.

I assume, by your post that you insist on paying full retail for everything, no?

If you walk into a grocery store and something's on sale, you INSIST on paying the full price, because you don't want to "screw the seller". You refuse to use Club Cards or coupons.

You refuse to browse the "clearance" sections of websites - or if you do, you insist on paying FULL RETAIL for the items, no?

Because you refuse to "screw the seller".

You refuse to take volume discounts, because you refuse to "screw the seller".

In fact, you probably research any item you purchase to ensure that the seller gets full value. You pay high Blue Book for used items, etc., because you refuse to "screw the seller".

If not - you're a flippin' hypocrite.

RobG
09-10-2010, 12:31 PM
The guy probably needed the 250.00 now. How many hanguns are in the FS section here that take weeks to sell if they sell at all?

voiceoftheright
09-10-2010, 12:59 PM

Cheers.

Josh.

Wow! How come you edited out that part that he was losing his "home of 30 years"? It's because you know it was messed up to come straight home and gloat about the deal you got at work on Calguns. I have no issue with you getting it at the price he asked, none. I have a massive problem that in your original post you were basically mocking this poor guy that was being forced to move due to the economy. Once again, you're a standup guy. Class act.

gizmo7718
09-10-2010, 1:04 PM
I assume, by your post that you insist on paying full retail for everything, no?

If you walk into a grocery store and something's on sale, you INSIST on paying the full price, because you don't want to "screw the seller". You refuse to use Club Cards or coupons.

You refuse to browse the "clearance" sections of websites - or if you do, you insist on paying FULL RETAIL for the items, no?

Because you refuse to "screw the seller".

You refuse to take volume discounts, because you refuse to "screw the seller".

In fact, you probably research any item you purchase to ensure that the seller gets full value. You pay high Blue Book for used items, etc., because you refuse to "screw the seller".

If not - you're a flippin' hypocrite.

EXACTLY^

Let's flip the script for a minute. I paid $600 ;) for an AR pistol lower that I KNOW cost less than half that price. Do I feel ripped off? No, because that's what I was willing to pay for it at that time. Did the seller feel guilty for ripping me off? Hell no. If he did I didn't get a call. It was quite a nice profit. But here he is posting with his morality police badge in hand about someone else getting ripped off when the buyer paid the seller exactly what he was asking. Where does the hypocrisy end? Is there a limit, some acceptable % for a buyer and seller to feel morally obligated not to cross on a deal? Are you serious? I agree with a previous statement made here: buyer beware AND seller beware.

So all you Calgunners out there...if you come across a 6 bedroom 4 bath house in Hillsborough for $300K on a short sale because the owner couldn't afford to keep it, WALK AWAY. I know this is your wife's dream home, and the kids will grow up in an awesome neighborhood with great schools; but that is NO reason to take advantage of the current owner's situation.
:thumbsup:

0Wraith
09-10-2010, 1:06 PM
Wow! How come you edited out that part that he was losing his "home of 30 years"? It's because you know it was messed up to come straight home and gloat about the deal you got at work on Calguns. I have no issue with you getting it at the price he asked, none. I have a massive problem that in your original post you were basically mocking this poor guy that was being forced to move due to the economy. Once again, you're a standup guy. Class act.

He didn't edit it out. He mentioned it in a later post, not the original one.

voiceoftheright
09-10-2010, 1:10 PM
He didn't edit it out. He mentioned it in a later post, not the original one.

Oh, thank you. Either way, I stand by my last comment. I guess I was hoping he had a conscious when it came to pride at other people's plight.

Rob454
09-10-2010, 1:46 PM
EXACTLY^

Let's flip the script for a minute. I paid $600 ;) for an AR pistol lower that I KNOW cost less than half that price. Do I feel ripped off? No, because that's what I was willing to pay for it at that time. Did the seller feel guilty for ripping me off? Hell no. If he did I didn't get a call. It was quite a nice profit. But here he is posting with his morality police badge in hand about someone else getting ripped off when the buyer paid the seller exactly what he was asking. Where does the hypocrisy end? Is there a limit, some acceptable % for a buyer and seller to feel morally obligated not to cross on a deal? Are you serious? I agree with a previous statement made here: buyer beware AND seller beware.

So all you Calgunners out there...if you come across a 6 bedroom 4 bath house in Hillsborough for $300K on a short sale because the owner couldn't afford to keep it, WALK AWAY. I know this is your wife's dream home, and the kids will grow up in an awesome neighborhood with great schools; but that is NO reason to take advantage of the current owner's situation.
:thumbsup:

Nobody is arguing that the guy got a great deal and some people wouldn't jump on it. What IMO some are pissed about is that he seemed to be gloating about it. ( sort of dude I just screwed this guy) But yes as I said before I agree it is a buyer and seller beware. I feel sorry for the guy for losing his house but if I were him I would NEVER give the first offer. let the gun store make the offer.

09-10-2010, 2:03 PM
OP: Nice pick up. :thumbsup:

To all that are trying to chastise the OP: :rofl2:

I am quite sure you all would have offered him $1000 because he was in need. :rolleyes:

gizmo7718
09-10-2010, 2:03 PM
Nobody is arguing that the guy got a great deal and some people wouldn't jump on it. What IMO some are pissed about is that he seemed to be gloating about it. ( sort of dude I just screwed this guy) But yes as I said before I agree it is a buyer and seller beware. I feel sorry for the guy for losing his house but if I were him I would NEVER give the first offer. let the gun store make the offer.

I agree with that. Gloating on someone's misfortune isn't right at all, but I'm referring to some posters complaining about how the "deal wasn't fair."

TurboChrisB
09-10-2010, 2:11 PM
Hmmmm, good try but no banana. You're citing scenarios where you're profiting from someone's MISTAKE. That's different altogether. And your friend....nope, you said you thought he did more work then you asked for? Then he DID do more work then YOU asked for. So compensating him for that was a good thing to do. But I'm willing to bet if you didn't like him..say he was rude, and was constantly checking out your wife....BUT did more than you asked for...you'd be hesitant to throw in extra..think about it...if I hire someone to put in a dishwasher...and not only does he do it..but he does it with obviously extra care, routes the lines nice, etc...gives me a tutorial on how to use it...I can CHOOSE to give him something extra...but am I morally bound to? No.

I dunno about that..

I got out to my car when I realized the cashier at CompUSA didn't ring up a rather expensive item in the lot of goods I purchased..
I walked back in to the store to pay for it.. (ironically they went out of business anyway :rolleyes:)

I was over payed by disbursing in the Navy years ago when they would actually cash your paycheck.. I went back to return the money..

I will also return money from cashiers that give me too much change..

I just paid a plumber friend of mine $100 more than he asked for because I thought he did more work than I asked for..

etc.. believe it or not, there are actually people like us out there..

I work very hard for what I can earn and live within those means.. I really don't want anything from anyone any other way.. one of the most important things my Father taught me..

getting good deals and discounts from a business is working against their margin but not directly affecting anyone personally.. I expect a little more business sense from a business..

as for this deal.. perhaps the guy was in such a downward spiral loosing his house and all that the mere $150~$200 deficit on the Glock just didn't matter..

however.. I would actually prefer to help someone and rest with a clear conscience that I tried to help someone rather than even hint of taking advantage of them..

I think the moral of the story here is although it was a good deal.. not very cooth to brag about the circumstances or misfortune of another that led to it..

my $.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboChrisB
I don't get it.....I think you're all either not reading this right or are full of it. Every single one of you has gotten a good deal somewhere somehow. Either a contractor who submitted the lowest bid got the job...or a mechanic looked over your vehicle and said...no charge...I could go on and on. Anyone here who states that they will only pay what they believe 'should' be fair when offered a discount is lying.

juelz919
09-10-2010, 2:32 PM
The hypocrisy is strong in this forum

CA Gun Laws Suck
09-10-2010, 2:51 PM
Gun stores are a business just like any other business and that is how things go. There are people who come into stores all the time that want a certain price get it, walk out happy with their money then the FFL will sell it 30 days later and make their profit. Good snag on the Glock, I have purchased many guns that retail for 500-600 and got them for a 1/3 of the price. Just like a couple people said above, if he put this on calguns for $250 five people would have been in line for it within one minute of his post. Nothing wrong with capitalism.

BattlefieldJosh
09-10-2010, 2:56 PM

I did not do that at all. Also, When did I say that he was losing his home? I said he is forced to move from a place he calles his home. read more below for more insight on this.

Ok. This thread has gotten way out of control. Allow me to attempt to make light of both sides.

First off there are people saying I am "taking advantage" of a poor guy who had just lost his house. I never said he lost his house. I said he has to move out of a place he has called his home for 30 odd years. We all know California is an expensive place to live, and with the economy this has gotten even more prevelant. He is moving out of state to live a better life I assume (this coming from the conversation I had with the gentleman). Read my past posts to confirm this. Also, I do not believe I "Took Advantage" of a Person by accepting an offer HE MADE TO ME. If you read what I posted and anaylized it first instead of jumping to conlucions about a person (me) you know nothing about shows both immaturity and poor judgement on your part. If you read back, I had posted that before I even had a chance to offer him a price or ask him what he would like for it, He bluts out that he just needs $250.00 for it. At no time did I try to haggle him down from a higher price nor did I complain that his price was too high. We all know it wasn't.

Some People have posted what Killer Bee posted in the quote below. That when someone over pays them or gives them too much change that they return it. I absolutely do the same thing. However, this has no correlation at all to my story. The Customer came to me and stated the price he wanted for it. Not vise versa. I did not haggle with him, I simply gave the customer what he wanted for it.

I dunno about that..

I got out to my car when I realized the cashier at CompUSA didn't ring up a rather expensive item in the lot of goods I purchased..
I walked back in to the store to pay for it.. (ironically they went out of business anyway :rolleyes:)

I was over payed by disbursing in the Navy years ago when they would actually cash your paycheck.. I went back to return the money..

I will also return money from cashiers that give me too much change..

I just paid a plumber friend of mine $100 more than he asked for because I thought he did more work than I asked for..

etc.. believe it or not, there are actually people like us out there..

I work very hard for what I can earn and live within those means.. I really don't want anything from anyone any other way.. one of the most important things my Father taught me..

getting good deals and discounts from a business is working against their margin but not directly affecting anyone personally.. I expect a little more business sense from a business..

as for this deal.. perhaps the guy was in such a downward spiral loosing his house and all that the mere $150~$200 deficit on the Glock just didn't matter..

however.. I would actually prefer to help someone and rest with a clear conscience that I tried to help someone rather than even hint of taking advantage of them..

I think the moral of the story here is although it was a good deal.. not very cooth to brag about the circumstances or misfortune of another that led to it..

my $.02

Also regarding the Above post by Killer Bee and the otheres that have said the very same thing regarding me bragging about the "misfortunes" of another man. Never once did I brag about screwing a guy over. Infact, in my first post I Never stated that the customer was in the situation he was in. I simply said that I got an amazing deal on a weapon from a customer who needed money. I have sold many an item for way less than going rate when I needed money. I am sure most people have been in this situation at one point or another. Never when I sold my items for less than going value did someone say "hey, let me give you more for that, This is too good of a deal" I knew I was selling it for a good deal that's why it sold so quickly. I guess if I have done any "bragging" it's been becasue I did get such a good deal on this gun. I'm sure if any of you got the same deal on this gun you would have done the same thing. But to say I'm "bragging" or "taking advantage" of a poor guy who I just haggled to death cause he really needs the money is absolutely audatious. I gave the customer what he wanted. After all, that is what being in the retail business is all about. Making the customer happy. When this customer left he was happy to have made a buck and if he had any complaints he didn't portray them to me.

To Draw this post to a conclusion. The main thing that irks me about all this is how all you nay-sayers are attacking me as a person. You all say that there is a stigma on how rude gun store employees are. Yet all you are rude to a person you have never met. True Class acts indeed.

As an addendum. Thank you to all the members who have posted not necessarliy on my behalf, but understood the position I am in. I do appreciate the support.

OneSevenDeuce
09-10-2010, 2:58 PM
I think the issue with this whole thing is as follows...

The seller came into the gun store expecting to sell his gun to the gun store. $250 dollars is probably about right for a like new but used glock if the store is going to turn around and sell it in their store. Ok, no big deal. No one should have a problem with that. However where things get a little tricky is knowing that this gun store worker bought the gun for himself instead of the store. Did the seller know that the store worker was buying the gun for himself? It makes a difference because the price you can ask for that gun goes up significantly if you are selling it PPT. The real question for me is did the store worker make the seller think he was selling his gun to the store? If yes then it is shady and wrong. If the seller knew that he was selling it to this individual person for $250 then it's all good.

dfletcher
09-10-2010, 3:03 PM
Aren't the "he got screwed folks" making a few assumptions? Like, that the seller didn't know what he could get for the gun? Or he hadn't gone to a half dozen other stores and been told "we'll consign it at $425.00 and take 20% - it should sell in a few weeks". Or that another gun store owner/employee offered to buy it for more but would pay in full after the 10 day wait - and this particular seller didn't want to wait.

That Glock, at that particular time, was worth $250.00 to the guy selling it and the guy buying it - the Glock was worth $250.00.

I was looking at a cheap 1911 years ago at a Cow Palace gun show, asked the guy "how much" and he said $275.00 to which I jokingly responded "no thanks - now if that 657 was $275.00 I'd buy it" and he said "OK - let's do the deal". Maybe he bought it cheap, maybe he low balled the owner with a "no one likes the 41" story - maybe he needed to make the mortgage. "Tis not my job to ask, I just presume we're all adults, each of us knows what we need and want.

gorenut
09-10-2010, 3:09 PM
Moral of the story.. don't come to forums and brag about the bargains you gain. For all the OP knows, the guy coulda made up the story of his house thinking it'll win him sympathy points on selling the gun (not realizing he's totally undershooting the price). He wanted $250 ASAP and got it.

Its not like the seller was begging for more money and the buyer was gouging the price down. The seller most likely got the Glock really cheap himself and to him $250 was worth more than having that Glock. Remember, there was a time when Glocks were cheap enough to be used as trading leverage.

RobG
09-10-2010, 3:17 PM
The hypocrisy is strong in this forum

+10000000000000000000

Moral of the story.. don't come to forums Calguns and brag about the bargains you gain.

Yea, save the bandwidth for price gouging threads:rolleyes:

Hornetsnest
09-10-2010, 3:20 PM
Aren't the "he got screwed folks" making a few assumptions? Like, that the seller didn't know what he could get for the gun? Or he hadn't gone to a half dozen other stores and been told "we'll consign it at $425.00 and take 20% - it should sell in a few weeks". Or that another gun store owner/employee offered to buy it for more but would pay in full after the 10 day wait - and this particular seller didn't want to wait.

That Glock, at that particular time, was worth $250.00 to the guy selling it and the guy buying it - the Glock was worth $250.00.
I'll agree with that.

I know I made an assumption based on the info of the deal. Maybe it's because I used to be the ignorant one many years ago who got taken for a ride by a gun shop because I was too stupid to know better. I don't blame the gun shop (anymore) because it was my fault for not being informed. However, I was still a little pissed about it after I got educated a little.

If the seller knew what he was getting into and just really needed the money right then.....no problem and the buyer just scored. As its always said, Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it at that time. If the seller is happy with the deal as it stands then so be it.

Happy shooting all....

BattlefieldJosh
09-10-2010, 3:20 PM
I think the issue with this whole thing is as follows...

The seller came into the gun store expecting to sell his gun to the gun store. $250 dollars is probably about right for a like new but used glock if the store is going to turn around and sell it in their store. Ok, no big deal. No one should have a problem with that. However where things get a little tricky is knowing that this gun store worker bought the gun for himself instead of the store. Did the seller know that the store worker was buying the gun for himself? It makes a difference because the price you can ask for that gun goes up significantly if you are selling it PPT. The real question for me is did the store worker make the seller think he was selling his gun to the store? If yes then it is shady and wrong. If the seller knew that he was selling it to this individual person for $250 then it's all good.

I do not get how you can presume that is the case. Your post is a Post of "what ifs". I simply see it as this. The customer wanted to sell his gun. Again, He stated the price and I accepted the offer. I don't see how it's an issue of it being a store purchase vs. a employee purchase. The customer wanted to sell his gun for his price. He Did that and was happy. That is as simple as it gets.

Another thing is people are telling me not to brag about getting such a good deal. I have high doubts that you would not do the exact same thing, Regardless of the situation. I read on this forum day in and day out of people looking for "group purchases" or Deals in the WTS/T Thread. How is that any different from what I did? You are all looking for good deals and discounts are you not? This type of deal does not happen often, but when It does I doubt any of you would turn it down.

chesterthehero
09-10-2010, 3:21 PM
8riXGpPFD34

good deal..
tomorrow i finish my 40day for a g17.. its been shot a lot and shows some wear.. and i paid almost twice as much for it.. however i did unknowingly hold the door open for the guy that sold it as he was leaving and i was entering my local gun shop.. 10 minutes sooner and i could have gotten it straight from him for a lot less than i paid for it and a mush shorter wait time(with the manditory holding time with the FFL of course)...

gorenut
09-10-2010, 3:29 PM
+10000000000000000000

Yea, save the bandwidth for price gouging threads:rolleyes:

Naw, should start using the bandwidth for threads bragging about overpaying for guns and ammo.

"Guess what guys.. I just bought a Glock for $1200, NYAH! take that suckers.. now I gotta sell my house, brb"

ponderosa
09-10-2010, 3:38 PM
When I was going to college I sold a stainless S&W 686 w/ 8 3/8" barrel to a gun shop for $250 bucks. I went in and asked what they would give me for it. I probably had paid $500 or so for it new. I needed money for school. I wasn't fully keen on revolvers and the delicacy of S&W's. And I will call myself stupid in retrospect. I don't blame the gun store owner - he could have bought it for himself (who wouldn't), but it was my decision to sell the gun (knowingly not for what it was worth - PPT never crossed my mind at the time, but there wasn't time anyway for it). Now, I will never sell a gun again. Nope.

Two Shots
09-10-2010, 3:39 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself! Karma is a bytch. Not faulting either party.....just couldn't do it myself.

Maybe Karma did come around for BattlefieldJosh and due to all those good deeds he's done over the years, thats why this guy came into the store and gave him a great deal.

BattlefieldJosh
09-10-2010, 3:44 PM
Maybe Karma did come around for BattlefieldJosh and due to all those good deeds he's done over the years, thats why this guy came into the store and gave him a great deal.

Thank You Sir. I appreciate that.

voiceoftheright
09-10-2010, 3:48 PM
Haha, this thing blew up!!!! Well I hope that the guy is doing fine wherever he is and not reading this forum and I hope you like your second (?) G17. Like I said, it seemed via internet like you were bragging about it and I'm glad you clarified. I bet if all of us who posted on this were in the same room we would have been done talking about the situation of how you got it in about 2 minutes and playing with that sucker already. GET SOME !!!! (in 40 days)

OneSevenDeuce
09-10-2010, 3:49 PM
I do not get how you can presume that is the case. Your post is a Post of "what ifs". I simply see it as this. The customer wanted to sell his gun. Again, He stated the price and I accepted the offer. I don't see how it's an issue of it being a store purchase vs. a employee purchase. The customer wanted to sell his gun for his price. He Did that and was happy. That is as simple as it gets.

Well it IS an issue. The seller aught to know who he was selling his gun to. Did he?

BTW, I didn't say that I thought any of this. All I did was post why I thought this was such a big deal to some people. Of course it is a post full of what ifs. The reason being that you didn't give us the answers to these questions.

OneSevenDeuce
09-10-2010, 3:58 PM
Another thing is people are telling me not to brag about getting such a good deal. I have high doubts that you would not do the exact same thing, Regardless of the situation.

I was actually IN a situation similar to yours. Different but somewhat the same. I wanted to buy a gun that a shop had mis labeled. At first the purchase was going smoothly, without the clerk or myself knowing that the gun was not priced correctly. The manager then came over and informed the clerk that the gun was mis labeled and the price actually should have been higher. Obviously I could have made a very good case that the advertised price was what they should sell it to me for. Instead I told them that I didn't want to put them in a difficult position. They insisted that if I wanted it they would give it to me at the mis labeled price. Only then did I accept. So no, I didn't do exactly the same thing, but I can understand why you do. I want to know if the seller knew he was selling a gun to your or the shop though.

BattlefieldJosh
09-10-2010, 4:15 PM
Well it IS an issue. The seller aught to know who he was selling his gun to. Did he?

BTW, I didn't say that I thought any of this. All I did was post why I thought this was such a big deal to some people. Of course it is a post full of what ifs. The reason being that you didn't give us the answers to these questions.

How is that relevant? Like I said. He wanted to sell his gun. He didn't come in and ask questions. He simply said he wants to sell his gun for his price. The issue of if it goes to me or the store is moot.

I was actually IN a situation similar to yours. Different but somewhat the same. I wanted to buy a gun that a shop had mis labeled. At first the purchase was going smoothly, without the clerk or myself knowing that the gun was not priced correctly. The manager then came over and informed the clerk that the gun was mis labeled and the price actually should have been higher. Obviously I could have made a very good case that the advertised price was what they should sell it to me for. Instead I told them that I didn't want to put them in a difficult position. They insisted that if I wanted it they would give it to me at the mis labeled price. Only then did I accept. So no, I didn't do exactly the same thing, but I can understand why you do. I want to know if the seller knew he was selling a gun to your or the shop though.

That is not even close to being in the same situation. I don't know why you would even bring that up. As for your last sentence see above.

OneSevenDeuce
09-10-2010, 4:18 PM
How is that relevant? Like I said. He wanted to sell his gun. He didn't come in and ask questions. He simply said he wants to sell his gun for his price. The issue of if it goes to me or the store is moot.

That is not even close to being in the same situation. I don't know why you would even bring that up. As for your last sentence see above.

I'm getting by this that he DIDN'T know he was selling the gun to you. That is wrong in my opinion. I've sold guns before. I definitely wouldn't think of asking the same price from a store that I would doing a PPT. I know that the store has to make money reselling it. That's not the case when selling to a private person. If you can't see how that is shady in my book then I don't know what to tell you. Did your boss know what you were doing?

dfletcher
09-10-2010, 4:19 PM

Why should it make a difference? The seller got what he wanted, doesn't matter whether he got $250.00 from the store or the guy working at the store. JMHO on this interesting story.

No surprise there are "hey you screwed him" responses - who'da guessed? Reminds me of a scene in "As Good As It Gets" where two folks are griping about life being bad and Jack Nicholson says (more or less) "you're not upset because you have all these sad stories to tell - what really pisses you off isn't that you had it so bad it's that other people had it so good".

OneSevenDeuce
09-10-2010, 4:24 PM
Why should it make a difference?

Because it's LYING. Lying by omission is still LYING. The price structures are different depending on if you sell to a store or a private individual. The OP is not being up front with me about the situation so I can only assume that he didn't tell the seller that he was PPTing the gun to him. That is a LIE, it's shady, and it's wrong. OP, if this isn't true then start telling the whole story and answer the questions I asked.

It's very simple. One time I sold a shotgun to a store for $300. The shotgun was like new and I purchased it for $550. I sold it to the store for $300 because I knew they would have to make a profit to buy it from me and I couldn't wait to find a private party buyer. Would I have listed that shotgun on calguns for $300 dollars if I could afford to wait? Hell no.

Now I don't know if the seller in this story would have sold his gun to the OP at the same price if he knew he was the one buying it. That isn't the point really. The point is that the OP purposefully didn't tell the seller that he was PPTing the gun to him, knowing that people often sell guns to stores at less than what they can otherwise get. All it would have taken was the OP saying "I really like your gun. Would you sell it to me for $250?" That would have been more honest. Although if I were a gun store owner I wouldn't let my employees do that.

cannon
09-10-2010, 4:28 PM
There's a whole load of Holier than thou bullcorn on this thread.

CA Gun Laws Suck
09-10-2010, 4:30 PM
Sounds like he bought it for the store then decided he wanted it and will dros it after the 30 days are up. No harm in that!

OneSevenDeuce
09-10-2010, 4:33 PM
Sounds like he bought it for the store then decided he wanted it and will dros it after the 30 days are up. No harm in that!

Well that really WOULD be different. However if that were the case then he wouldn't have been able to buy it for the cost that the gun store paid for it unless he is awesome buddies with the owner. Besides, nothing the OP has said suggests what you are saying is true. It seems to me that he is purposefully being vague about what happened.

BattlefieldJosh
09-10-2010, 4:48 PM
I'm getting by this that he DIDN'T know he was selling the gun to you. That is wrong in my opinion. I've sold guns before. I definitely wouldn't think of asking the same price from a store that I would doing a PPT. I know that the store has to make money reselling it. That's not the case when selling to a private person. If you can't see how that is shady in my book then I don't know what to tell you. Did your boss know what you were doing?

I do not see how you don't get my point. The customer did not care who he sold the gun too, if he did he did not make that point. As long as he got the price he wanted he was happy. Like you say yourself here: I couldn't wait to find a private party buyer. The customer could not do this either. As you can see in my other posts he was moving out of state. Also, there is no other point to this story that I am omitting. I am not "lying by omission". If the customer would have asked I would have told him. I highly doubt that would have changed the price.

Because it's LYING. Lying by omission is still LYING. The price structures are different depending on if you sell to a store or a private individual. The OP is not being up front with me about the situation so I can only assume that he didn't tell the seller that he was PPTing the gun to him. That is a LIE, it's shady, and it's wrong. OP, if this isn't true then start telling the whole story and answer the questions I asked.

Again, I do not see how this is such a big issue to you. I could understand if I intentionally lied to the customer or omitted something then you would have a valid arguing point. However, you do not. The customer is happy, I am happy. it's a straight forward transaction.

It's very simple. One time I sold a shotgun to a store for $300. The shotgun was like new and I purchased it for $550. I sold it to the store for $300 because I knew they would have to make a profit to buy it from me and I couldn't wait to find a private party buyer. Would I have listed that shotgun on calguns for $300 dollars if I could afford to wait? Hell no.

Now I don't know if the seller in this story would have sold his gun to the OP at the same price if he knew he was the one buying it. That isn't the point really. The point is that the OP purposefully didn't tell the seller that he was PPTing the gun to him, knowing that people often sell guns to stores at less than what they can otherwise get. All it would have taken was the OP saying "I really like your gun. Would you sell it to me for $250?" That would have been more honest. Although if I were a gun store owner I wouldn't let my employees do that.

I don't see how the price would change if he knew it was going to me. I hate to keep reiterating myself to you but, he came in and asked HIS PRICE!for the weapon. I simply obliged and paid the man. How can you assume that I purposely did not tell the seller that I was going to be purchasing the handgun? At the time I wasn't 100% going to buy the weapon(I had to clear it with the wife first). But I was definitely interested. For you to sit here and tell me that I purposely misled or lied to a customer is completely asinine. The subject of "who will this gun go to" never came up in our conversation.

BattlefieldJosh
09-10-2010, 4:52 PM
Well that really WOULD be different. However if that were the case then he wouldn't have been able to buy it for the cost that the gun store paid for it unless he is awesome buddies with the owner. Besides, nothing the OP has said suggests what you are saying is true. It seems to me that he is purposefully being vague about what happened.

Just a quick thing about this as well. I do absolutely get everything we sell at cost. Yes, I do have the most generous boss in the world. And I am very appreciative of that.

OneSevenDeuce
09-10-2010, 4:53 PM
If the customer would have asked I would have told him.

That is a lie. By omitting this you lied. Would it have changed the seller's mind about the price? Maybe, maybe not. It's not for you to assume or decide. Like I said, why didn't you just tell him what was going on if you don't think it's a big deal? Why did you have to keep that information from him "If he would have asked"? I ask again, does your boss know that you did this?

RTE
09-10-2010, 4:53 PM
Wow Guys We are not talking the sales girl gave you TOO Much change.....The seller had a price and the buyer paid that price.

Looking at it this way IF a seller offers you a deal and you pass,the seller offers someone else a deal....Either way the seller got his asking price.........The seller is happy.
Would the seller be happier if someone paid $10,000?
Sure,but the seller would have to look for the rest of his life to find said 10K buyer.

Supply and demand
The seller sets the asking price and YES that is all it is,an asking price till the seller finds a buyer.

I had a seller looking for $280 for a 38 snubby and I told him I'd be more interested at $150....A week later I had a $150 snubby.

OneSevenDeuce
09-10-2010, 4:55 PM
Just a quick thing about this as well. I do absolutely get everything we sell at cost. Yes, I do have the most generous boss in the world. And I am very appreciative of that.

Then why didn't you just come out and be up front with that? If you are getting jumped on by a bunch of people it is your own fault for being vague. You left waaaay too much of a question about your integrity to be interpreted. Besides, if you get everything at cost then why this post? You get great deals on everything? I'm not hating on you getting a good deal. I have gotten great deals myself and posted about them. However you could have really helped yourself out on this one.

OneSevenDeuce
09-10-2010, 5:02 PM
I had a seller looking for $280 for a 38 snubby and I told him I'd be more interested at $150....A week later I had a $150 snubby.

That's fine because I am assuming the seller knew exactly what was going on. What's wrong is purposefully omitting information to get a gun at a better price.

I'll spell this out one more time as best as I can.

1: Seller walks into a gun store knowing that he has to steeply discount his gun for the store to be able to buy it and make a profit.

2: A clerk at the gun store greets the customer and tells him the store would be happy to buy his gun for the price he wants.

3: The clerk knowingly fails to tell the seller that he is not in fact selling the gun to the store, but that he is doing a PPT to the clerk.

4: The clerk doesn't tell the seller that he is PPTing his gun to the clerk because the clerk knows that the seller can reasonably ask for more money when selling to a private party because he is the end user.

Now do you see what I'm getting at? I am not going to say that I KNOW that is what the OP's intentions were but I will say that his original post gave no indication that he was acting in the full disclosure of the seller. THAT, to me, is why so many people jumped on him.

berto
09-10-2010, 5:25 PM
If I list a glock 19 with less than 100 rounds down the pipe for $250 how many of you saints will offer to pay me $400-$500?

OneSevenDeuce
09-10-2010, 5:28 PM
If I list a glock 19 with less than 100 rounds down the pipe for $250 how many of you saints will offer to pay me $400-$500?

Oh for gosh sake...

cannon
09-10-2010, 5:30 PM

About none.

Thats why so many posters to this thread are full of hooey. They are bashing the guy who paid what was asked because he works in a gun shop. Yet if that same seller was at a gun show or placing an ad here for the same money. These hypocrites would be breaking their arm getting the $250.00 out of their pocket.

OneSevenDeuce
09-10-2010, 5:35 PM
About none.

Thats why so many posters to this thread are full of hooey. They are bashing the guy who paid what was asked because he works in a gun shop. Yet if that same seller was at a gun show or placing an ad here for the same money. These hypocrites would be breaking their arm getting the $250.00 out of their pocket.

You aren't getting it even a little. If the seller had placed an add here that would have been all the difference in the world. He would have known who he was selling to. In this case he did not. The seller wasn't at a gun show. The seller wasn't placing an add here. If you can't understand the difference then I figger you are as shady as this guy.

Greg-Dawg
09-10-2010, 5:51 PM
So what shop do you work for?

BattlefieldJosh
09-10-2010, 6:30 PM
That is a lie. By omitting this you lied. Would it have changed the seller's mind about the price? Maybe, maybe not. It's not for you to assume or decide. Like I said, why didn't you just tell him what was going on if you don't think it's a big deal? Why did you have to keep that information from him "If he would have asked"? I ask again, does your boss know that you did this?

To begin. Yes my boss knows I did this. He was there when I did the transaction. Now, please explain to me how exactly i omitted this? The customer was not concerned about who the gun was going to. The only thing he was concerned with was money. He got what he wanted and was happy. I did not lie or omit anything. It was never conveyed by either party that this gun was going to be sold strictly in the shop. Never once did it come across my mind to tell him, "Hey, I think I am going to buy this." I also don't think he would of cared one way or another. For you to come in here and bash me about making assumptions about what the customer would of said, then turn around and make assumptions about me like that is completely hypocritical of you.

Then why didn't you just come out and be up front with that? If you are getting jumped on by a bunch of people it is your own fault for being vague. You left waaaay too much of a question about your integrity to be interpreted. Besides, if you get everything at cost then why this post? You get great deals on everything? I'm not hating on you getting a good deal. I have gotten great deals myself and posted about them. However you could have really helped yourself out on this one.

I do not get how I was being vague. All the people that jumped on me started assuming things. All that got cleared up when I posted again on the last page. Everyone except for you that is. You seem to think that something about this transaction is wrong and that what I did was shady. How can it be wrong when the customer got what he wanted. To me it did not seem that he cared what happened to the weapon as long as he got his money. He got what he came in for and left a happy customer. That is all that should matter. All this other hearsay is just that, hearsay. You keep assuming that I lied to the guy to get a good deal. When that is not the case at. How dare you think that I had malicious intentions. You do not know me, if you did, you would know how ridiculous that is. Again, to do some more reiterating; The customer was in and out. Got what he wanted, We gossiped a little then he left happy with money in hand.

That's fine because I am assuming the seller knew exactly what was going on. What's wrong is purposefully omitting information to get a gun at a better price.

I'll spell this out one more time as best as I can.

1: Seller walks into a gun store knowing that he has to steeply discount his gun for the store to be able to buy it and make a profit.

2: A clerk at the gun store greets the customer and tells him the store would be happy to buy his gun for the price he wants.

3: The clerk knowingly fails to tell the seller that he is not in fact selling the gun to the store, but that he is doing a PPT to the clerk.

4: The clerk doesn't tell the seller that he is PPTing his gun to the clerk because the clerk knows that the seller can reasonably ask for more money when selling to a private party because he is the end user.

Now do you see what I'm getting at? I am not going to say that I KNOW that is what the OP's intentions were but I will say that his original post gave no indication that he was acting in the full disclosure of the seller. THAT, to me, is why so many people jumped on him.

1. You are ASSUMING that is the case.

2. I in fact greeted him and said. "Hello Sir, Can I Help you today?" He Replied with "Do You Buy Guns?" I Say Yes, He pulls out the glock and says I want $250 for it. That's the gist of the transaction. After it was all said and done. Him and I talk a little. He leaves happy. I decided shortly after that I would like to purchase the weapon, the boss says OK and I Pay him.

3. Again, You are falsely accusing me of something that in fact did not happen. This was never a thought in my mind. You just keep assuming these things about me.

4. I think you would have an argument here if that was in fact the case, it was not. You assume, again, that I bartered or haggled him down to this price. I never once asked him what he wanted for the gun or told him what he I would have offered. He already had the number in his head what he wanted for the gun, and I paid him. Simple as that. I would of Paid him if he Said he wanted $300 for the gun. But, again, he did not. He said he wanted $250 so he got what he asked for.

Every single post you have made has said to me that you knew that my intentions were to screw the seller over. You have said that i intentionally omitted the truth. So how can you say that you are not accusing me of doing so? You all jumped on me and cause of all your assumptions. But, like I said earlier, My post on the other page clearly states what happened. You still do not seem to understand it.

You aren't getting it even a little. If the seller had placed an add here that would have been all the difference in the world. He would have known who he was selling to. In this case he did not. The seller wasn't at a gun show. The seller wasn't placing an add here. If you can't understand the difference then I figger you are as shady as this guy.

I don't think that you understand what is going on. Even after all the explanations I have given you. Again, you are assuming that I am a "shady" guy, you don't know me. This just proves what a "Class Act" you really are.

OneSevenDeuce
09-10-2010, 6:35 PM
You are ASSUMING that is the case.

Exactly! That's why people were jumping on you. You gave up just enough information to make yourself look shady, and refused to elaborate until people called you on it. All the great information that exonerates you is just now coming up! Congratulations on learning to communicate in the English language! :D

OneSevenDeuce
09-10-2010, 6:38 PM
Every single post you have made has said to me that you knew that my intentions were to screw the seller over. You have said that i intentionally omitted the truth.

Try reading them again. I actually specifically said I didn't know your intention. As for you intentionally omitting the truth, you actually said that. You admitted that you did not tell the seller what was going on but "would have if he asked". That's not me, that's you.

tileguy
09-10-2010, 6:51 PM
every job has perks. great deal,drive on

dfletcher
09-10-2010, 7:06 PM

If a fellow walks into a gun store, sees what he thinks is a 1903 NRA Springfield Sporter for $500.00 when it's actually a chopped up 03 worth $300.00 & I overhear him telling his pal he's getting a steal, I have no obligation to tell him otherwise. I am not responsible for policing another adult's assumptions.

You made an assumption - sold a shotgun for $300.00. Does the store owner have an obligation to tell you if he has a buyer waiting for that very same shotgun who will pay $650.00? No. If a buyer just walked out, does he have an obligation to tell you? No. If he discovers he paid too much at $300.00 does he get to call you back and say "you know, it's been sitting here for 6 months and I just sold it for a $50.00 loss" should you fork over some $$$? No - people make their best deal with the info they gain. Personally, in that situation I'd have said "I have a guy who's dying for one now - you can get a bit more $$, he'll be happy to pay a little less than new & I get two happy customers who may spend $$$". My choice, but not anyone else's obligation.

In the OP example, I probably would have said "I'm kind of looking for one - I'll buy it from you myself for $300.00, how's that?" What's the seller going to say "No - on principle I'll sell it to the shop for $50.00 less"?

The guy with the Glock could have walked into the gun store and asked a few questions or said "well, if I can't sell it for more I'll be back later". I think in an environment where money is at issue folks ought to be on their toes.

OneSevenDeuce
09-10-2010, 7:10 PM
I'm not saying anyone is obliged to do anything. I'm not obliged to say excuse me for ripping one in an elevator. But if I don't I shouldn't be surprised when people think I am a douche. Anyway, I think this thread has run it's course for me.

dachan
09-10-2010, 7:23 PM
The question is what a cheap score is worth to you:

Scenario 1: Customer walks in wanting to sell his G17 for $250 knowing its worth more, you gladly give him the $250 and everybody is happy.

Scenario 2: Customer walks in wanting to sell his G17 for $250 knowing its worth more, you tell him he can get more for it but you’ll gladly give him the $250. He takes the $250 anyway, everybody is happy and he remembers the store employs honest folks.

Scenario 3: Customer walks in wanting to sell his G17 for $250 knowing its worth more, you tell him he can get more for it but you’ll gladly give him the $250. He takes your advice, puts it on consignment but it doesn't sell, so you offer him and he takes the original $250, everybody is happy and he remembers the store employs honest folks.

Scenario 4: Customer walks in wanting to sell his G17 for $250 knowing its worth more, you tell him he can get more for it but you’ll gladly give him the $250. He takes your advice, puts it on consignment and takes home a little more money. The store still gets their cut and he remembers you doing more than just looking out for you own good; but you’re out a cheap G17.

For me, the Golden Rule (Do unto others as you would want....) isn't a bad roadmap. I don't have a storefront (so am not really in the for profit business), but still get numerous inquiries to buy firearms. I'll try to tell such people what it's worth to me personally, and what they may be able to get somewhere else and leave it up to them.

meangreen46
09-10-2010, 9:28 PM

Good point.

tileguy
09-10-2010, 9:36 PM
when iam purchasing a classic car or a firearm or a piece of property i always let the owner start the price if its low i say ok and deal done. its thier item and they came up with the price why would i tell them to raise the price. Capitolism at work i think. iam a contractor and when i look at a job and give the customer a price they never say thats to low id like to pay you double.

l8apex
09-10-2010, 9:38 PM
This is simply a business transaction, that's it. Did the buyer get what he wanted, maybe not but he agreed to it. That's it.

Did the buyer who works at a gun store take advantage of the situation? Nope, he offered what he would pay for it, but was negotiating from a personal interest view not in behalf of the business interest of the store. Meaning the store could have profited from taking that particular gun in trade and then reselling it to someone else. Bad business decision if the buyer was not the owner. I have a few friends that work in shops to get deals on guns, I think the store gets ripped on these deals since the profit margin could have been to the store rather than the employee.

Sounds heartless, but hey, this is business.

Bill Carson
09-10-2010, 11:24 PM
I tried to warn him about the general consensus of gun store employees on this forum and he replied that I must have a miserable life. I was just trying to warn him and he did not listen. I never questioned the morality of the deal or even brought it up. I just tried to warn him because I knew he would get this on-line beat down but he did not want to hear it.

diddler
09-11-2010, 1:38 AM
Seems to me that anybody selling anything, you don't rely on the buyer to save you from yourself. How long does would it take anybody to pop around on a few websites and get a reasonable price? Do your own research! Things are tough and you need cash, you're at the point of selling off your own possessions and you really don't bother checking what these things might be worth? Just another situation where people expect the big bad world to coddle them.

BillCA
09-11-2010, 1:25 PM
How did this guy take advantage of the seller when the seller told him the price?

Cheep:
What is a steel wartime 1942 nickel worth today?
What is the worth of an envelope postmarked by NASA on the moon?
What is the worth of Herman Goering's Walther PPK?

If you don't know the value of an item, but you know it's worth something, then you'll get ripped off. If you take each of those items to a shop that specializes in a commodity - coins, collectables or guns - show them what you have and they ask you what you want for it, run out the door to another shop. I've learned that such shops will screw customers both in buying and selling.

An honest shop will tell you what it's worth and then tell you what they will pay for it, even if that number far exceeds your hopes. Those honest shops have a profit margin built in will stick with it.

All of this is quite different from the guy who comes in with a 1909 Colt New Service with USMC markings and says he "just needs $400" for it even though he knows he can get much more. Then he knows he's forfeiting about $2k to get the money he needs.

I consider people like the gun shop I mentioned above, who would take advantage of someone (who is liquidating due to a dire need) to be morally bankrupt people. Even if they are "one of the nicest people". Because those are exactly the kinds of people who will stab you in the back if it will gain them something.

cannon
09-11-2010, 1:37 PM

Hey thanks for calling me shady. I bet you can guess I won't be calling you classy.:D

So it breaks down like this. You are happy if the shop gives the seller his asking price because shops traditionally pay less so they can resale.

You are happy if any buyer gave the seller his asking price. Except of course for the OP at the gun shop.

You are unhappy and think the buyer is shady because he pays what the seller asked for and kept the gun for himself. With his boss's permission.

That about sum it up?

May I suggest a logic course at the learning annex? That will help you to stop projecting your personal notions on others and allow you to see the frivolity of your arguments.

chickenfried
09-11-2010, 1:43 PM
Seller came in to sell a gun, named a price and got it. sounds pretty simple to me. No one got screwed, no one did any screwing, no one has to worry about tossing or turning at night, or worry about negative karma.

dwtt
09-11-2010, 3:21 PM
This reminds me about the time I walked into Irvington Arms with 4 new unopened gun locks left over from previous DROSs. I asked Martin if he was interested in buying the locks from me. He offered me $5 per lock, I said I wanted to sell all 4 for $10. He congratulated me on my negotiation skills and I got my $10 and walked away happy. Neither of us lost out on the deal.

Rob454
09-11-2010, 10:45 PM
So is the moral of this story not to sell your gun to a gun shop cause you're gonna get raped on price? People get raped on prices EVERY damn day. I don't understand why everyone is so into the "not fair" mode. Come on guys face it. People will walk in stores or other peoples houses to make deals for items ( either buy or sell) and for the most part there will be a deal made for one to either buy or sell the item for a agreed upon price.
Yes its not always gonna be fair. Life isn't fair. If you want to sell something and you don't educate yourself on the value of the item and you sell it for too low a price don't expect anyone to say oh poor baby here let me make it up to you here is the actual value of your item.
Let me give you a example. A month or so ago I was driving to work on my way to LA. Truck broke down pulled over had to find a shop. Found a hole int he wall shop. Truck needed a water pump. PROBABLY about 300$ worth of parts and labor. i ended up paying close to 600$ for a water pump installation and belt. Was it fair? No not really.
Some of you guys act like the buyer somehow has to watch out for you when you are selling so you don't undersell your own item. Well that's not gonna happen.
I would do it for a friend someone i know well a friend or someone asking my opinion ( say i was in the store and the guy turned around and said hey is this worth more than 250? i would flat out say yes I wouldn't sell it for less than 350$)etc but someone that Im just looking to buy a item from. Not on your life. I'm in the market for a boat. Do you think Im gonna go pay someone's asking price because im worried about being fair to them. No Im looking to pay the lowest amount of money for the boat as i possibly can. You guys walk in a car dealer and pay sticker for a car no haggling? LOL
The ONLY difference is how much money am i willing to part with before the guy accepts my offer. if we cant come to a understanding then the sale is not made. Prety simple. i get on with my life and go look for whatever I was looking for. Usually I get a call from the guy. At that point he just lost another 500-1000$. Life is NOT fair. Deal with it and get on with your life.
If you get a good deal don't gloat about it. it makes the good deal you got seem sleazy.

zenmastar
09-12-2010, 6:19 AM

So you made a PPT transfer while the cash register showed a shortfall of $250? I consider that stealing and fired an employee for doing so, although we are not a gun store.

xxINKxx
09-12-2010, 6:38 AM
This thread is funny. I guarentee that if there was a glock in the calguns classifieds and the seller only wanted 250$ not a single person in this thread would say: "250$ is a bit low...How bout I give you 400$ instead"

We dont know how much the seller got the gun for, he coulda got it for free from someone, like a reletive and thought 250$ was good for him to get. If he wanted more or thought he couldve got more then he wouldve started the price higher and expected a lower offer. Thats how business deals work. Oviously he was fine with 250$. And got exactly what he asked for.

I see nothing wrong with what the employee did

Shawn L
09-12-2010, 6:42 AM
^ true.

dg29
09-12-2010, 7:14 AM
Having followed the evolution of this thread, it reminds me of a story I was told about a customers I'd had years back. This customer picked up a Ferrari from a guy going through financial hardship for a song because the guy needed the $$$ fast. The customer attends some big party and telling his story as to how he recently aquired his Ferrai well below the current market value. Outside of this group circle, that is listening to the customers good fortune story, was the sellers sister :eek: She it made known to him, in front of the group, that she was the sellers sister and that she didn't appreciate that he was gloating about how he was able to take advantage of her brother that was going through some very hard times.
What does this have to do with the OP, probably nothing. :rolleyes:

evidens83
09-12-2010, 7:35 AM
This thread is funny. I guarentee that if there was a glock in the calguns classifieds and the seller only wanted 250$ not a single person in this thread would say: "250$ is a bit low...How bout I give you 400$ instead"

I see nothing wrong with what the employee did

This!

mrlightning559
09-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Maye he hated the glock

chickenfried
09-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Next step post an ad selling it for $475 just to see how high you can get some people's blood pressure.

Peter W Bush
09-12-2010, 11:43 AM
To clarify, I would much more appreciate (and frequent) a gun store where I'm honestly told the value of something I'm selling, and/or given the option of selling it on consignment or PPT instead of being taken for a patsy. For example, if the seller was told he could try to sell it on consignment, try to get $350, the store could still add $50 and it would still only be $400 and sell in a few days. Or the seller could be told of a wonderful forum for gun selling known as Calguns; the store could even offer to list it on Calguns and charge a similar $50 commission. Bottomline, give the customer a choice, $250 now, or $350 in a few days and a tiny bit more trouble; ethical business practices have a way of paying off in the long run.

Ethical business practices? This is ethical- Seller wants $200 for an item worth up to $400. Buyer accepts the offer and buys the item. Ethical. Unethical- People in the marketplace here to have a "rare" Glock 17 with little more than a spring upgrade trying to convince newbs that its worth the same as a brand new one.

I would have given her $300 and kept my mouth shut.

Next step post an ad selling it for $475 just to see how high you can get some people's blood pressure.

This.

battleship
09-12-2010, 11:47 AM
What a fool, perhaps he needed to score some heroin. thats just desperate.

I have no problem with the buyer buying the gun for a price the guy asked for, nothing wrong with that its one mans misfortune and another mans great score.

FYI i have drilled it into my wife that if something bad happens to me and i expire, never never under any circumstances try and sell my guns to a gun store.

Thats one of the benefits of calguns. PPT only.

OneSevenDeuce
09-12-2010, 5:06 PM
All the people saying "If someone sold it in CalGuns for $250 all you guys would want it!" are completely misunderstanding the situation and probably aren't bothering to read the comments.

Rob454
09-12-2010, 5:51 PM

LOL that would be freaking funny. I just choked on my coffee also dammit.

SupportGeek
09-13-2010, 1:05 AM
All the people saying "If someone sold it in CalGuns for $250 all you guys would want it!" are completely misunderstanding the situation and probably aren't bothering to read the comments.

I think its a stretch that the guy would have asked for more depending on who he was selling to. I've been in a position of needing cash because I was moving, sure I could have tried my luck with listing higher and waiting to see IF it sold, but I wanted the cash now, I know I wouldnt have changed my asking price no matter if it was a business or individual buying from me.
Regarding the omission, to me its definitely a moot point since he gets the firearms at purchase cost from his employer, even if he HAD indicated that he was doing a PPT and the store was not purchasing it, then the seller asked for more, he would then let the store buy it for the $250 and buy it off the shelf for $250.

Besides, if I was in his shoes and the guy actually told me he wanted more because it was going to me and not the store, Id feel it was unethical to ask ME for more cash right after he was prepared to sell it for $250 5 seconds before that. :rolleyes:

Roccobro
09-13-2010, 9:20 AM
I'm not saying anyone is obliged to do anything. I'm not obliged to say excuse me for ripping one in an elevator. But if I don't I shouldn't be surprised when people think I am a douche. Anyway, I think this thread has run it's course for me.

Good. I'm tired of reading your posts.

Justin

cannon
09-13-2010, 4:27 PM

From the responses it appears that people are reading the responses. It also appears that the majority do not agree with your position on the topic.

BattlefieldJosh
09-13-2010, 6:44 PM
Originally Posted by BattlefieldJosh
I didn't enter this gun as a consignment. I entered it as a purchase. Although I hope it is not this one.

Yes, My boss gives certain Employees first crack at guns/items that come in. However we(Certain Employees) know not to abuse this privilege.

So you made a PPT transfer while the cash register showed a shortfall of $250? I consider that stealing and fired an employee for doing so, although we are not a gun store.

Did you even read the context of this thread? I'm betting not. Please read before you post. You could not of gotten that more wrong.

Capt. Speirs
09-13-2010, 6:58 PM

Cheers.

Josh.

Yep, owning a gun shop has it's perks. Mine was a 1984 6" Colt Python in excellent condition for $400.00.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z186/Speirs_photo/IMG_1074.jpg

DaveFJ80
09-13-2010, 7:18 PM
this thread is still going with people complaining?

I'll sell you my G19 with NS for $250

gorenut
09-13-2010, 7:43 PM
this thread is still going with people complaining?

I'll sell you my G19 with NS for $250

I'll take it! But please don't tell anyone on here.

Roccobro
09-13-2010, 7:46 PM
I'll take it! But please don't tell anyone on here.

Just don't share your excitement on CG. You'll be tarred and feathered for "gloating" if you do. :rolleyes:

Oh, and users will accuse you of not reading their mind and describing in detail your feelings, thoughts and emotions on every aspect of a F&*$ing gun purchase!

Justin

Anchors
09-13-2010, 8:16 PM
This happens at my work all the time (Huge musical instruments retailer, I'm sure you can figure it out.)
If someone comes in with a $7000 keyboard/guitar and says "I want $1000" of course we buy it.
Low-balling and taking the guy's offer are two different things.
Off topic: To make sure it isn't stolen we also have to do a 35 day police hold on used stuff, oddly enough.
We take fingerprints and ID haha our form even has the check boxes for firearms on it, though we obviously ignore them. Always makes me laugh to myself.

Rob454
09-13-2010, 8:35 PM
Just don't share your excitement on CG. You'll be tarred and feathered for "gloating" if you do. :rolleyes:

Oh, and users will accuse you of not reading their mind and describing in detail your feelings, thoughts and emotions on every aspect of a F&*$ing gun purchase!

Justin

The OP could of simply said
I just picked up a Glock whatever for 250$ from this guy who was selling it.

instead it became this whole story on how he got this great deal and all the perks of working at a gun store bla bla bla and this dude came in etc.............................

Roccobro
09-13-2010, 8:42 PM
Your right. Shame on him for sharing.

Justin

tonelar
09-13-2010, 9:22 PM
To the OP,
Congrats on the G17. I don't see anything wrong with meeting the seller's asking price. I think people are just reacting to the very real fact that many of us are a paycheck away from being in the seller's shoes. I honestly don't think there's a gun store in the Bay Area that would give more than $250-$300 for a used Glock (which should retail for $350-$400 right?)
Shoot it in good health.

...A penninsula gun shop had a little old lady come in to sell her late husband's "Big ole gun". She said she needed to raise all the cash she could to stay in her house. Big old gun alright, and purty too. But the counterman offered to pay her $310 for an early 60's Colt Python barely used. The guy even winked at me like "can you believe this dopey old broad?" So I told the lady my Colt collector friend would give her much more for it. He did. Eventually he bought it from her for a "mere" $1985. Meanwhile, I've never been back to that gunshop.

BillCA- I'm glad you spoke up and helped the lady out in your story.
You can tell me, was the store Imbert and Smithers?

zod
09-13-2010, 9:29 PM
Ah screw it. The seller wanted $250 for it, he got what he wanted. Congrats on the new toy. It's not like the seller asked how much it was worth or the OP lowballed him into selling for that price.