PDA

View Full Version : Choate SKS mount question SN related

dmax11
09-09-2010, 6:46 PM
I realize this should probably be in the C&R section as my 79' Yugo SKS is kind of technically a C&R firearm but i think ill get more responses in this section on my question

so here it is what are the rules and regs on covering up serial numbers and or possibly defacing the SN partially. pretty sure defacing is a big no no and i think that may be my major problem.

i want to put a good scope mount (also standard weaver mount so i could put whatever on it in the future or switch out the scope etc.) and from all the research i have done on this the Choate receiver mount is considered the best for many reasons like keeping zero and being able to still field strip the rifle without taking off the scope or mount etc.

problem i see however is my century imported Yugo has its century issued SN printed on the side of the receiver where the Choate mount will bolt to and the two front screws will even possibly even need to be drilled through where the mark starts

it says SER. 596600xxx and from what i can tell the very front bolt hole will need to be drilled around where the SER. is possibly and i will no doubt need to forgoe drilling the 2nd front hole as that will land around the 5966 part of the SN area, obviously to anyone with a half a brain and simple knowledge of a firearm will know that 5966 stands for the model of the rifle, 59/66A1 and SER. is simply pointing out that, that is the serial number given to the rifle by the importer and the actual identifying numbers that i have x'd out above are the real identifying marks so it seems to me that it would not be a big deal at least if i drilled through the SER, part or would it? i know for a fact that my mosin nagant from century only has a SN and does not indicate that it is the SN so what's everyone's opinions on the legality of me installing this mount given this information.

sevensix2x51
09-09-2010, 6:53 PM
ok, so the serial number thats electropencilled in by CAI is the only serial number on the rifle? ooh, i wouldnt do it, but i am kind of paranoid.

dmax11
09-09-2010, 7:01 PM
no its no the only SN on the rifle it of course has its original yugo issued SN all over the rifle in multiple places including the receiver but the SN on the DROS is i'm pretty sure the CAI SN

sevensix2x51
09-09-2010, 7:18 PM
probably so. i use the importer's serial number on my bound book, always. i still wouldnt do it. why cant they just make them the same number? :mad:

my cugir uses the factory s/n, does the yugo have some cyrillic characters in it or something weird?

dmax11
09-09-2010, 7:23 PM
nope its all normal

P-xxxxxx number on the receiver only, yugo used the normal alphabet for SN's and the letter pretty much designates the year it was produce more or less from what i've read

sevensix2x51
09-09-2010, 7:31 PM
if you really want it on there, i think you had the right idea. you should be fine defacing the writing that designates the serial number, but dont drill that hole that defaces any of the digits. but dont take my word for it... im not a lawyer, im just a guy at a keyboard, not wearing any pants. :eek::D

dmax11
09-09-2010, 8:15 PM
haha yeah, what i could dig up on the net is once again California's idiotic laws this time not even directly related to firearms actually prohibits even covering serial numbers on anything unless its made to be covered (like a SN that is on a mount that is meant to be used by design by the mfg etc) or unless you get authorization from the manufacture to cover/remove etc the SN. the law apparently applies to anything and can be punishable as a misdemeanor with jail time up to 6 months!

as far as defacing the SN goes yes its definitely not legal as i expected but my real question is does the SER. part really count as part of the SN or not at this point i suppose.

dmax11
09-09-2010, 8:54 PM
yeah mounting to the other side of the receiver is probably possible but it would then require removal to remove the bolt carrier as the charging handle is on the right hand side.

i've been thinking i'll just need to mount it more forward on the left side of the receiver just enough so i don't need to drill through the SN mark but no matter what it will be covered by the mount, the down side to doing this is that it will more than likely completely remove the ability to use stripper clips with my rifle while its mounted but then again if i'm just using it for target shooting and occasional hunting this is not all that detrimental to it i suppose

here is a side view of the mount once installed

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/choatesksscope/graphics/l/18.jpg

my SN besides the original number that is shown forward of the mount in this photo starts approx where the first bolt is at or in between the first two bolts approximately

dmax11
09-09-2010, 9:14 PM
for comparison of the above photo here is a shot of the same side of my SKS

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp33/Frito_023/IMG_20100909_220748.jpg