View Full Version : Any opinions on Daniel Defense AR's?

09-09-2010, 5:29 PM
I've seen a lot of people say good things about a few companies like BCM, Noveske, etc.

But anyone own any Daniel Defense stuff? Any comments on the quality?

I know you guys will say build your own :) but I'm curious about their quality.

Especially compared to:

COLT- Colt makes all the M4s for the military. They also sell rifles to civilians and to Law Enforcement. The LE models can be purchased by civilians, and they are apparently of higher quality than the “civilian” models. Colt seems to have the best reputation among folks who train people to use the AR for a living. This is apparently due to better quality control in the manufacturing process. You will pay more for these things, and you have to decide if they are worth it to you. One thing to look out for: some of the civilian Colts have different sized holes where the receivers mate which can making building a gun with them somewhat more difficult if you are mixing brands.

When you pay for a Colt here is what you get:
BARREL: 4150 MP inspected, chrome lined barrels (except match rifles with stainless barrels) with 5.56 chambers and 1:7 twist for the most part with Parkerizing under the FSB
BOLT/CARRIER:MP tested bolts and carriers
UPPER: M4 feed ramps, taper pins in the FSB

FN- FN makes M16s for the military. Again, they have very good quality control, but chances are you will never find that out for yourself, as they don’t sell to civilians. Apparently there were some FN uppers on the market last year, but I have not heard a good explanation as their source. That “FN” upper that the “Navy SEAL” at the gun show is trying to sell you is more than likely not made by FN.

LMT- Lewis Machine and Tool. I just learned some interesting history about LMT tonight. Apparently Karl Lewis was one of the founders of Eagle Arms, which was a retail business run beside LMT until Eagle was sold to Mark Westrom. Westrom later obtained the rights to the Armalite brand, and combined the two. This info is from an article by Zak Smith in the 2007 Book of the AR-15. LMT is also a government contractor, and has good quality control. LMT apparently makes their barrels in a different way than other manufacturers, which allows greater accuracy. Most companies buy their barrel the correct size then send them to be chrome lined. As part of this process, the barrel is etched with chemicals which remove a very small amount of the material. This makes room for the chrome lining, but is apparently an imperfect process. LMT buys their blanks from Mike Rock (a barrel maker with a very good reputation for match barrels) and has them made slightly larger to avoid the need for the etching process. This apparently results in a slightly more uniform process, and better accuracy. LMT has only entered the commercial market in a big way in the last few years, but now there are multiple vendors on the EE with their products available. LMT has a good reputation with folks who train for a living as well.

When you buy an LMT you get:
BARREL: 4150 MP inspected, chrome lined barrels (except match rifles with stainless barrels) with 5.56 chambers and 1:7 twist, but without Parkerizing under the FSB
BOLT/CARRIER:MP tested bolts and carriers
UPPER: M4 feed ramps, straight pins in the FSB

09-09-2010, 5:33 PM
Everything I have heard about them has been excellent. The one that I shot performed flawlessly and was certainly more capable than I.

09-09-2010, 5:52 PM
This is "the chart"...It may or may not apply to you depending on your shooting style or performance needs.

09-09-2010, 5:58 PM
I have one of thier bolt groups. The quality is top notch.

09-09-2010, 6:42 PM
Daniel Defense have an excellent reputation. I have a Daniel Defense AR 15 and it's perfection in black rifle form.

09-09-2010, 6:49 PM
I have an upper of theirs and love it.

09-09-2010, 7:13 PM
DDM4 V1 I bought from rifle gear. It was the first ar-15 I ever shot. I have about 2k down the tube. Excellent quality, light, nice looking. Has NEVER had a jam of any kind.

They are Good to go in my book.

09-09-2010, 7:16 PM
They are definitely top notch.

09-09-2010, 7:35 PM
Like everyone else said, they make top grade AR products. From full AR's to rails and beyond.

09-09-2010, 7:44 PM
DD makes amazing products.

09-09-2010, 7:56 PM
I have a light weight DD upper, flawless so far.

09-09-2010, 8:20 PM
If I were ever going to bother getting an AR, I'd get a DD M4V3. DD is up there in quality.

To my knowledge, all of their components are mil-spec and they even manufacture their own receivers.

So +1 for DD.

I've honestly really never heard anything bad about them unlike Del-Ton, for example.

09-09-2010, 9:19 PM
DD is a company that makes outstanding products and they stand behind everything they make. If you ever have an issue, which I doubt you will, they will take care of everything free of charge. Their customer service is top notch.

09-09-2010, 9:25 PM
I have a DDM4 -- Fantastic rifle... I couldn't be more happy with it.
I also have a Lower with a DD LPK in it... The LPK is also fantastic..

09-09-2010, 9:29 PM
The DD M4V3 will be my next rifle. They are very well made and great rifles. All of them come with a 4150 cold hammer forged barrel and full auto BCGs in a nice clean package. Plus, they make possibly the lightest and strongest rail systems I've ever used.

09-09-2010, 9:31 PM
I have a DD M4 Carbine for sale.

09-09-2010, 9:40 PM
I have a DD M4 Carbine for sale.

09-10-2010, 6:56 AM
thanks for the replies guys, I'm looking @ the V3 lightweight

09-10-2010, 9:18 AM
I have a DDM4v2 ( carbine rail) and I LOVE this rifle... great fit and finish, no wobble between upper and lower. very accurate... and light. you will NOT be dissapointed

09-10-2010, 9:33 AM
You are GTG with DD. I picked up the DDm4v3 from a vendor on here for $1254. I have had zero issues. Their rail's and BCG's are some of best out there.

09-10-2010, 11:35 AM
DD makes outstanding products.

Here's my DDXV magpul'ed out. 7lb's exactly:

09-10-2010, 11:58 AM
I love mine... I would buy another one in a heartbeat. The price is right as a complete package. As you saw in that chart that was posted above, it has anything and everything that one can want or would want in an AR package. My Daniel Defense is extremely accurate which is one reason I never got into ARs until now. It is almost ho hum shooting but now I am a believer trying to get tighter and tighter groups. I have a 3x-10x Nikko Stirling scope, American Defense Recon X Scope Mount, Magpul XT panels, Magpul Forward Slanted grip, and Smith Vortex muzzle device.

I would definitely buy a Daniel Defense Again.
If I could do it over I would do it again and buy a Daniel Defense.

That chart says it all...

I would also consider a S&W and Colt.

09-10-2010, 2:03 PM
I treat My Daniel Defense like its a red-headed step-child, run it dry, and rarely clean it. It just can't be stopped. My opinion is "GET ONE"!!