PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of Black Hole Weaponry???

Hump0311
09-09-2010, 6:27 PM
Ok so there is a group buy going on right now for Black Hole Weaponry barrles on one of the other forums I joined. Here is the deal:

#1 16" M4 profile with carbine length gas system.
#2 16" standard profile with carbine length gas system.
#3 16" standard profile with mid-length gas system.
#4 18" standard profile with mid-length gas system.

Buyers have their choice of the following barrels configs. All barrels will be stainless steel coated black with poly 3 groove rifling 1-8" twist in 5.56. Buyers have there choice of threaded or none threaded to comply with state laws and open this up for all states. Threads will be 1/2x28.

All barrels are going for $165 + 12 s&h

The poly groove is supposed to be better than the standard cut groove from what I can tell something to do with the arc vs. the enfield cut. But this is a whole new ball park for me. This will be my first build and for the price wondering if this is a good barrel.

I would like to build a well rounded AR for my first build. As far as cost go, I'm on a budget but I do not want to sacrifice the price of parts for the quality of the final product. A freind and fellow calgunner just finised his first build for around $800. Hoping to do the same with this one.

The group buy ends tonight at midnight. I stumbled across the forum with two days left on the GB and have been asking friends for advice and reading about barrles.

Advice needed asap.

Thanks in advance

Cyc Wid It
09-09-2010, 6:29 PM
Dunno but you can get an LMT or BCM stripped upper for <$400. Add in BCG+CH and that's another (at most) $140. That leaves at least $260 for hand guards/BUIS/whatever.

Hump0311
09-09-2010, 6:57 PM
wow. If anything that just made it harder for me to decide. Do I go with the upper with the BCG+CH. Or build my own?

I went onto the blackholeweaponry website and they have a gas piston upper for $650.

I think I have an extra BCG laying around somewhere got to dig through my stuff.

The $650 upper would put me over budget though..... (angry wife vs. awesome gun)

shotcaller6
09-09-2010, 8:36 PM
I have no first hand knowledge of Black Hole Weaponry, however have had Polygonal rifling before (HK) and was happy with it's accuracy. The barrel is the most important equation of the parts needed to assemble an AR and is worthy of extra consideration. Looking forward to hear other input regarding their barrels I was browsing around for a .308 barrel.

Cyc Wid It
09-09-2010, 9:07 PM
Unless you have all the necessary tools etc. I'd just buy the complete upper. In some cases this may even be cheaper. If you must have a piston upper, I'd probably pick a company that more people have heard of/has a track record.

freonr22
09-09-2010, 9:12 PM
pm sent w/ choicing

Hump0311
09-09-2010, 9:21 PM
I have a few tools needed to dis/*** an AR. Vice blocks, AR Wrench, Some assorted punches, Torque wrench, levels and a leather man. I dont have any gauges yet for LTI/PFI. I see armorers kit's on the internet but I'm just trying to piece together one that works and does not break the bank.

As much as I would like to purchase a barrel now and get started building. I just answered my own question. I got alot more learning to do before I make any investments.

I am trying to talk the original poster of the group buy and to doing an upper receiver group build.

I appreciate all the help but dont think I'm going to make this deadline. To many variables that I had not thought of.

brando
09-10-2010, 9:21 AM
Weird name. I wonder how they shoot...with the escape velocity at infinity? ;)

bohoki
09-10-2010, 11:05 AM
rock river has a sale on the full chrome bcg and free shup

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=377

biglou
09-10-2010, 12:49 PM
I have a barrel from them when they were called True Sporting Arms. Carl is the owner and a great guy to deal with. In my experience they are top notch. I'll buy a pistol barrel from him when I'm ready.