PDA

View Full Version : Is there any ammo you won't shoot in your AR?

aslowdodge
09-09-2010, 3:54 PM
Like corrosive or steel cased? Some say corrosive is fine as long as you rinse and clean and lube when you get home. I've heard some won't shoot steel case for fear of damaging a good barrel ( but will shove anything inc this down an ak). What say ye Cal gunners?

technique
09-09-2010, 3:57 PM
Not really. Since my AR is 5.56/.223 I expect it to shoot any ammo of that make...if it doesn't I would feel I have a gun issue.

aslowdodge
09-09-2010, 3:59 PM
What about the lacquer coated stuff. I heard that can gum up some guns

technique
09-09-2010, 4:11 PM
No issues there for me. Lacquered steel, steel, brass, nickle, dirty, foreign, commercial, NATO, 55gr.-80gr., factory loaded or home loaded...it all works well for me.

CoyoteHunter555
09-09-2010, 4:15 PM
I don't shoot ATI ammo because it sucks :D Doesn't cycle well for me or many others, dirties my AR, and is accurate enough though for how cheap it is

Reductio
09-09-2010, 4:30 PM
Whatever is expensive. :p

You'll have a hard time even finding lacquered stuff anyhow, it's mostly polymer covered now.

BroncoBob
09-09-2010, 4:45 PM
Nope

97F1504RAD
09-09-2010, 4:55 PM
I stay away from corrosive ammo only.

By the way not to many have the lacquer coating nowadays. WOLF use to but they now use a polymer that seems to stay on.

nmerced
09-09-2010, 4:56 PM
Match grade because my AR is not worthy of such ammo. :notworthy:

PyroFox79
09-09-2010, 5:12 PM
The stuff I can't afford.

DavidRSA
09-09-2010, 5:26 PM
Hornady TAP training ammo has lacquer coated steel cases.

As an experiment I bought all the cheapo ammo I could find to test out how it worked on my AR. Wolf, Brown Bear, Silver Bear, Tula. NO problems except for one FTE with the tula. Gave my AR a good cleaning afterwards and that was about it. At less than 20c a round (Tula) it's well worth it.

ren
09-09-2010, 5:28 PM
I won't shoot 9mm from my ar.

pacrimguru
09-09-2010, 5:29 PM
i's avoid rusty or crushed rounds that you find on the ground at the range. that's about it.

Solidsnake87
09-09-2010, 5:32 PM
Federal American Eagle and Federal Tactical .223 (193 series ammo). I avoid both types for QC issues that have led to the destruction of a couple ARs. They need to QC their brass better on this ammo. Also, there are some well documented cases of overpressured ammo. Other than these two ammo types, I'd say anything goes--even wolf :)

stix213
09-09-2010, 5:47 PM
I don't shoot corrosive out of any gun because I am in charge of when I clean my guns damn it, not the other way around :p

Also, every instance an AR-15 catastrophic "I hope the shooter is OK!!!!" failure I have seen documented involved reloaded ammo (not that it can't happen in production ammo, I just haven't seen it in a detailed write up of events, so it seems to be EXTREMELY less common). So I'd rather throw money at cheap russian made steel cased than reloads.

ocabj
09-09-2010, 5:57 PM
Factory

Seriously, though. I don't shoot factory in my competition ARs. Only my own loads.

ArkinDomino
09-09-2010, 7:48 PM
I don't shoot corrosive only because I don't I like intensive cleaning sessions that I HAVE to do right away.

Quiet
09-10-2010, 1:05 AM
I no shoot corrosive ammo or steel case ammo in me ARs.

I do shoot corrosive ammo and steel case ammo in my AKs.

deadlyapp
09-10-2010, 1:50 AM
I only shoot Lake City brass cased 5.56 in my AR.

AK gets cheap steel case wolf non corrosive.

7.62x54R
09-10-2010, 3:12 AM
American Ammunition

eastershawn
09-10-2010, 6:10 AM
i dont shoot wolf or brown bear or dexters or any of that cheap stuff, ive head that the case absorbs heat too fast and expands and will jam your gun. dont know if its actually true, but dont wanna find out, but with the price of ammo now, maybe i should try :)

Capt. Speirs
09-10-2010, 7:41 AM
Shoot anything except someone else's reloads.

I don't shoot corrosive only because I don't I like intensive cleaning sessions that I HAVE to do right away.

1 part of ammonia to 4 parts of water in a squirt bottle. Apply liberally right after shooting in the chamber, down the barrel and the upper receiver. Then squirt down with WD-40 to displace the water. Now you can take your time to clean your gun when you want. The Ammonia neutralizes the salt crystal deposits from the corrosive primers. note; some use Windex with Ammonia instead of the water mixture, still have to use WD-40 though.

MRpink
09-10-2010, 7:49 AM
Federal American Eagle and Federal Tactical .223 (193 series ammo). I avoid both types for QC issues that have led to the destruction of a couple ARs. They need to QC their brass better on this ammo. Also, there are some well documented cases of overpressured ammo. Other than these two ammo types, I'd say anything goes--even wolf :)

Are you talking about this stuff?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/MRpilot/s7_214240_imageset_03.jpg

650IS350
09-10-2010, 8:03 AM
PMC and FIOCCHI for me right now.

Lightball corrosive for my PSL

VictorFranko
09-10-2010, 8:07 AM
No more Wolf steel cased for me.
After about 60 rounds had first ever FTE issues.
Back to brass, no more problems.

CHS
09-10-2010, 11:39 AM
In my 9mm AR: No.
In my 5.56 AR's: No.
In my .22lr AR: Remington. It won't chamber.

ZX-10R
09-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Brass only for my AR.
Anything for my AK pattern and PSL.

luckystrike
09-10-2010, 1:00 PM
personally...
AR-wont use PMC nothing steel cased/corrosive.
AK-just about whatever. but if I have no clue of the origin of the ammo then I wont use it.

Solidsnake87
09-10-2010, 1:12 PM
Are you talking about this stuff?

Yup, thats the stuff. If they would QC their loads and rim condition better, I'd be happy to shoot it again. I've seen 5 kabooms with that crap. I'm not touching it EVER.

Dragunov
09-10-2010, 1:23 PM
I shoot Match grade 62gr, or American brass 5.56 NATO only and no "strange" reloads in my AR.

I use only Yugoslavian M67 Privi-Partizan brown box in my SKS only and clean up good (It's corrosive), unless I'm hunting, then I use American made hunting loads.

I don't like Wolf, it's dirty.

GutPunch
09-10-2010, 1:27 PM
No Wolf. Ever. Period.

aslowdodge
09-10-2010, 1:37 PM
So from what I see people tend to want to shoot mostly brass in their AR's and maybe 1/3 will use steel and/or corrossive. But for an AK pretty much anything that will fire.

CHS
09-10-2010, 1:56 PM
So from what I see people tend to want to shoot mostly brass in their AR's and maybe 1/3 will use steel and/or corrossive. But for an AK pretty much anything that will fire.

No, people are just weird and OCD about AR's.

AR's will also gobble through just about anything.

Donk310
09-10-2010, 1:58 PM
I shoot whatever comes my way. Crap or not.

NiteQwill
09-10-2010, 2:01 PM
No, people are just weird and OCD about AR's.

AR's will also gobble through just about anything.

Correctly spec'd AR's will gobble about anything.

Cheap or non-milspec ones will have difficulty.

With that said, I shoot everything from Wolf, Tula, Federal, LC, XM, Hornandy, reloads, etc. Whatever is cheapest and for my purpose, along with proper maintenance. All my rifles have gobbled everything and I have not experienced any issues in thousands and thousands of rounds.

'Tis true... OCD...

So, can someone please tell me how to get rid of the wobble and "sproing" sound in my AR, please?

MRpink
09-10-2010, 2:24 PM
Yup, thats the stuff. If they would QC their loads and rim condition better, I'd be happy to shoot it again. I've seen 5 kabooms with that crap. I'm not touching it EVER.

That's not good news to hear (just bought some). I tried doing my research before buying but everything I read about it was decent. It's pretty standard stuff, sucks to know you have such bad experience with it. And just to validate, this is the American Eagle (Federal manufactured) stuff, not the infamous American Ammunition (aka: AMERC) you are talking about right??

Reductio
09-10-2010, 5:35 PM
So, can someone please tell me how to get rid of the wobble and "sproing" sound in my AR, please?

Dunno if it's right, but I did the same thing I've heard of several other people doing: putting a large patch on the rear end of your buffer spring, and putting a bit of CLP on the patch. It's gone through a few hundred rounds of PMC with no sproing and no problem yet....

NiteQwill
09-10-2010, 5:38 PM
Dunno if it's right, but I did the same thing I've heard of several other people doing: putting a large patch on the rear end of your buffer spring, and putting a bit of CLP on the patch. It's gone through a few hundred rounds of PMC with no sproing and no problem yet....

I was being sarcastic. ;) I beat the living crap out of use my rifles, I can care less about noise or play. :D

nagorb
09-10-2010, 5:57 PM
Out of my AR the only thing I won't shoot is corrosive because I never clean it, otherwise 90% of what I shoot is Brown Bear, never had a single problem.

nagorb
09-10-2010, 5:58 PM
I was being sarcastic. ;) I beat the living crap out of use my rifles, I can care less about noise or play. :D

I like the noise, that way I know when I fired my last shot.

NiteQwill
09-10-2010, 6:04 PM
I like the noise, that way I know when I fired my last shot.

Yep, I learned that technique in the service.:o

faterikcartman
09-10-2010, 6:04 PM
I won't shoot corrosive or steel cased. Especially steel cased.

Reductio
09-10-2010, 6:06 PM

lol, had figured. :p

ENDO
09-10-2010, 6:11 PM
I started shooting steel casings as I was shooting so many matches that I could not keep up reloading. They jam in my AR under rapid firing however if I am just shooting at the range they are fine. Once these are gone, no more will I shoot.:(

1forall
09-10-2010, 9:58 PM
Anything but my own first batch of reloads, j/k :D

Grumpyoldretiredcop
09-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Having had an upper wrecked after a Wolf case head failed, I will never (given a choice) load Wolf or any other steel cased ammo in my AR.

Also, every instance an AR-15 catastrophic "I hope the shooter is OK!!!!" failure I have seen documented involved reloaded ammo (not that it can't happen in production ammo, I just haven't seen it in a detailed write up of events, so it seems to be EXTREMELY less common). So I'd rather throw money at cheap russian made steel cased than reloads.

Now you have a documented case that doesn't involve reloads. After approximately 150 rounds fired in a Colt SP1, all Wolf ammo, a Wolf case failed. The upper was spread at the bottom, ejection port dust cover blown off, bolt driven back into the carrier (all parts destroyed), magazine follower/spring/baseplate/ammo ejected. Magazine body remained in the weapon and was belled outward at the base. The barrel exhibited no visible damage and the front half of the case was lodged in the chamber. Luckily, the lower receiver survived intact.

Good enough reason for me never to allow that garbage in any AR that I own. Anyone else can make their own choice.

NorCalSJ
09-11-2010, 6:46 AM
my BMC upper cycles everything with no problem, I shoot it all including Wolf.

mlaines
09-11-2010, 9:34 AM
Nope i shoot it all with no issues:)

metalliman545
09-11-2010, 9:51 AM
Having had an upper wrecked after a Wolf case head failed, I will never (given a choice) load Wolf or any other steel cased ammo in my AR.

Now you have a documented case that doesn't involve reloads. After approximately 150 rounds fired in a Colt SP1, all Wolf ammo, a Wolf case failed. The upper was spread at the bottom, ejection port dust cover blown off, bolt driven back into the carrier (all parts destroyed), magazine follower/spring/baseplate/ammo ejected. Magazine body remained in the weapon and was belled outward at the base. The barrel exhibited no visible damage and the front half of the case was lodged in the chamber. Luckily, the lower receiver survived intact.

Good enough reason for me never to allow that garbage in any AR that I own. Anyone else can make their own choice.

documented? pics or it didnt happen

hnoppenberger
09-11-2010, 10:31 AM
i used to use silver bear and it was great stuff, but i'm going with brass only now because i want to reload my spent casings. Also, domestic stuff groups tighter than the russian stuff i have noticed.

aslowdodge
09-11-2010, 10:46 AM
So what are the best deals on brass .223 and 7.62 ammo. I have been buying reloaded .223 for $250/1000. The was a great deal on new Fiochi brass a while ago. I wish I would have bought more than the 2000 rounds. I think it was $269/1000 wit free shipping.

Solidsnake87
09-11-2010, 10:50 AM
That's not good news to hear (just bought some). I tried doing my research before buying but everything I read about it was decent. It's pretty standard stuff, sucks to know you have such bad experience with it. And just to validate, this is the American Eagle (Federal manufactured) stuff, not the infamous American Ammunition (aka: AMERC) you are talking about right??

Yes, that is the stuff I'm talking about. I've personally never had any kaboom because I check all ammo for flaws before I fire it. I've seen 5 instances of kabooms with American Eagle and American Eagle Tactical 193 series. It comes as no surprise though. I've had several instances of loose neck tension and poor rim condition--shooting ammo with such defects is asking for trouble. I throw away any round I think can cause me a problem. I've had the best luck with PMC ammo. I only have to toss out about 1 per 100.

chino
09-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Old steel cased Lacquered Wolf.

No issues on a Colt AR, however on my DCM DPMS and a match RRA the cases would get stuck after a few rounds. Since the later two most likely have tighter chambers any material build up would cause a FTE

metalliman545
09-11-2010, 11:59 AM
where do you find corrosive .223?

thevic
09-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Dumped a couple hundred tula rounds, 1000 pmc, and some xm193. With 0 issues so far.

Must be a Noveske thing :)

AlliedArmory
09-11-2010, 12:28 PM
My AR gets everything EXCEPT corrosive ammo.

nagorb
09-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Dumped a couple hundred tula rounds, 1000 pmc, and some xm193. With 0 issues so far.

Must be a Noveske thing :)

You can get the same thing for a few hundred less;)

CSACANNONEER
09-11-2010, 12:44 PM

+1 I'll shoot brass or plastic cased .223 or 5.56 but, I won't shoot steel.

Yes, that is the stuff I'm talking about. I've personally never had any kaboom because I check all ammo for flaws before I fire it. I've seen 5 instances of kabooms with American Eagle and American Eagle Tactical 193 series. It comes as no surprise though. I've had several instances of loose neck tension and poor rim condition--shooting ammo with such defects is asking for trouble. I throw away any round I think can cause me a problem. I've had the best luck with PMC ammo. I only have to toss out about 1 per 100.

We can't forget about the Remingtom .223 ammo a few years ago which was sold without flashholes. Several Calgunners had KBs and lost their rifles due to it.

Josh3239
09-11-2010, 2:02 PM
Most AR I've seen kaboomed, were from factory ammo. Mostly PMC and XM. Most handgun I've seen kaboomed, were from reloads.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
09-11-2010, 2:47 PM
documented? pics or it didnt happen

I was firing it at the time. Enough for you? If not, too bad.

ledman
09-11-2010, 3:11 PM
Like corrosive or steel cased? Some say corrosive is fine as long as you rinse and clean and lube when you get home. I've heard some won't shoot steel case for fear of damaging a good barrel ( but will shove anything inc this down an ak). What say ye Cal gunners?

Yes. Wolf will not work in my AR. The steel cases expand, and FTE from the chamber, along with the lacquered cases, that makes them stick caused heat expansion in the chamber or the steel shell expanding, one or the other. I have never had corrosive ammo for my AR, but would prefer not to use it.

My AK would eat anything, Wolf, Brown bear etc., along with my SKS rifles, not picky at all.

Any brass cased ammo I have ever fired in my AR, never a problem ever. SO I stick to brass cased 55 grain ammo.

daveyshooter
09-11-2010, 6:28 PM
Yes. Wolf will not work in my AR. The steel cases expand, and FTE from the chamber, along with the lacquered cases, that makes them stick caused heat expansion in the chamber or the steel shell expanding, one or the other. I have never had corrosive ammo for my AR, but would prefer not to use it.

Yea, Wolf will shoot a couple of rounds, but when the barrel heats up, then fun starts. I've had casings jam in the breach of a DPMS barrel.
I now stear clear of it.

CHS
09-11-2010, 6:30 PM

Steel expands WAY less than brass, so I have no idea why you would claim that the expansion of steel is where your problem comes from.

HK Dave
09-11-2010, 6:32 PM
I'm pretty sure when i use an M4 in Modern Warfare... it shoots gummy bears... i would not use gummy bears for self defense for sure! :D

All kidding aside... i wouldn't shoot corrosive... only because there are time where ill not clean a gun for months.

X-NewYawker
09-11-2010, 7:18 PM
.458 Win mag.

ledman
09-11-2010, 8:44 PM
Steel expands WAY less than brass, so I have no idea why you would claim that the expansion of steel is where your problem comes from.

Maybe the lacquered cases then? thats why I said one or the other...steel case or lacquered cases...?
I can get through about 2/10 rd mags when my rifle is stone cold...then the fun starts...FTE...case is stuck in the chamber:confused: I had to use my cleaning rod to knock the shell out of the chamber.
I would shoot the wolf if I could, as it is really cheap.
Any ideas?

metalliman545
09-11-2010, 9:03 PM
I was firing it at the time. Enough for you? If not, too bad.

then i guess never happened. oh on a side note while in iraq we saw the real elvis, the king baby! but my nco wouldnt allow me to take pictures, really happened though.

Ripper
09-11-2010, 9:06 PM
I will never, ever shoot Wolf, out of my Ar's The is a lot better Ammo out there for just a few cents more a round. Lots of Lake city ammo out there clean shooting stuff with real brass cases, does not get stuck in chambers:(

gorblimey
09-12-2010, 1:10 AM

Your handloads. :p

NSR500
09-12-2010, 2:06 AM
I won't shoot anybody's reloads and ammo from Pakistan.

aslowdodge
09-12-2010, 10:57 AM
I will never, ever shoot Wolf, out of my Ar's The is a lot better Ammo out there for just a few cents more a round. Lots of Lake city ammo out there clean shooting stuff with real brass cases, does not get stuck in chambers:(

So I priced Wolf at 19.5 cents per round ( Aim) but lake city seems to be about 45 cents a round ( Ammoman) . That is more than just a few cents more. Am I not looking at the right place for Lake city ammo?

JohnBrian
09-12-2010, 2:34 PM
No issues there for me. Lacquered steel, steel, brass, nickle, dirty, foreign, commercial, NATO, 55gr.-80gr., factory loaded or home loaded...it all works well for me.
My RAW AR eats everything including that Malasian(SP?) stuff that was imported many years ago.

maxima
09-12-2010, 2:49 PM
I heard a few steel case ammo(wolf, tula, bear, etc) issues with non-chrome lined chamber and barrel, less in properly chrome lined chamber and bore. My stag eats everything, steel cased, brass cased, no difference. If I can find corrosive 223/556 ammo for dirt cheap, I will for sure use it and nothing a hot water bath/shower cannot clean, also barrel is not expensive to replace compared to ammo price:)

nagorb
09-12-2010, 2:59 PM
So I priced Wolf at 19.5 cents per round ( Aim) but lake city seems to be about 45 cents a round ( Ammoman) . That is more than just a few cents more. Am I not looking at the right place for Lake city ammo?

I don't get where people get this from, I've never seen brass cased .223 anywhere near the price of steel cased. Right now I can find tula for .22 a round and federal American eagle for .31 quite a difference. I'm sure you can find better deals but I just used gundeals.com for a quick search.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
09-12-2010, 9:26 PM
then i guess never happened. oh on a side note while in iraq we saw the real elvis, the king baby! but my nco wouldnt allow me to take pictures, really happened though.

Why, metalliman, you can't imagine how crushed I am at your expression of disbelief. I would be if your opinion were important to me. Oh, guess not. Too bad for you!

metalliman545
09-12-2010, 9:50 PM

CTD has LC m855 shipped to oxnard in Ventura county for 365.
thats like 36 cents a round.

Dragunov
09-14-2010, 11:55 AM
I'm not interested in saving 20 cents a round. I buy ammo by the case(s) and get the best I can afford. If I can get a case of 62 or 69gr "Match" ammo, I'll buy it. even if it costs $700 or more for the case. I do this because I want the most accurate ammo for my rifle that I can get my hands on. "Good enough" doesn't do it for me. If every shot isn't a polished gem (Breathing, cheekweld, consistant trigger pull, GOOD AMMO), Then you've wasted both your money and rangetime in my opinion. This goes for any rifle I have. My SKS gets Yugo brass MilSurp only, because it's what groups best in that rifle. I ALWAYS know where that first shot from a cold barrel is going to go. The bottom line? That first "Cold barrel" round may save your life someday, or may be the difference between eating and your kids going hungry.

tacticalcity
09-14-2010, 12:02 PM
I've got a batch of Fiocchi that is giving me troubles. Seller & Bellet is the most reliable brand I've run thus far. Winchester wasn't bad either. Sure which I had stuck with one of those instead of getting the Fiocchi nightmare I have now. Sadly I bought in bulk. I have a 1K+ rounds of the stuff.

metalliman545
09-14-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm not interested in saving 20 cents a round. I buy ammo by the case(s) and get the best I can afford. If I can get a case of 62 or 69gr "Match" ammo, I'll buy it. even if it costs $700 or more for the case. I do this because I want the most accurate ammo for my rifle that I can get my hands on. "Good enough" doesn't do it for me. If every shot isn't a polished gem (Breathing, cheekweld, consistant trigger pull, GOOD AMMO), Then you've wasted both your money and rangetime in my opinion. This goes for any rifle I have. My SKS gets Yugo brass MilSurp only, because it's what groups best in that rifle. I ALWAYS know where that first shot from a cold barrel is going to go. The bottom line? That first "Cold barrel" round may save your life someday, or may be the difference between eating and your kids going hungry.

go try a stress shoot than. run a few miles, crawl a few hundred yards, carry someone, oh yea make sure your wearing full body armor. get to a range with pop up targets and try to qualify expert 40 shots 40 targets in like 5 minutes.

i shoot for fun, i love it. yea i try to get accuracy down but i dont kick myself in the head everytime. chances are if your using a rifle for a self defense situation like you said none of that would matter because relexive fire comes into play. up fire down.

its sounds like all you do is bench shoot.

metalliman545
09-14-2010, 12:26 PM
ill tell ya right now, being shot at isnt fun. adreniline changes lots of things.

Deadon
09-14-2010, 12:26 PM
I just ordered 3k Rounds of wolf
http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/223_ammunition.html
199.00 a case, not bad. When Im shooting for fun it does the trick. For the rest there's reloads.

CGK60
09-14-2010, 12:28 PM
That's all my AR has used was steel cased.No problems yet.

Dragunov
09-14-2010, 12:38 PM
go try a stress shoot than. run a few miles, crawl a few hundred yards, carry someone, oh yea make sure your wearing full body armor. get to a range with pop up targets and try to qualify expert 40 shots 40 targets in like 5 minutes.

i shoot for fun, i love it. yea i try to get accuracy down but i dont kick myself in the head everytime. chances are if your using a rifle for a self defense situation like you said none of that would matter because relexive fire comes into play. up fire down.

its sounds like all you do is bench shoot. You'd be surprised at my training regiment. No, I don't just "Bench shoot". Looking at your regiment, Done that (Minus the body armor)... Still do it when I can, Got the "T" shirt + four or five other drills you probably haven't seen. On top of that, I know a 15 yr old girl and a 12 yr old girl that has those "T" shirts also. You're not the only one on this board that does or has done intense training. There are several here I can think of.

BTW, I do this for fun, So do my Daughters. Besides that, I believe I stated that it was my opinion only.

darkest2000
09-14-2010, 12:42 PM
I shoot everything as long as it's factory. I don't trust anyone's "reloads".

toopercentmlk
09-14-2010, 1:11 PM
Match grade because my AR is not worthy of such ammo. :notworthy:
Same, I'd feel like I was wasting it without some sort of zoom optics.

erratikmind
09-14-2010, 4:05 PM
Shot my first case of Silver Bear 62 gr. HP, which is my last case, as well. I can deal with the sub par accuracy. However, I do not like the red primer adhesive, which creates a big sticky mess inside of my bolts. In retrospect, I guess I received what I paid for.

nagorb
09-14-2010, 8:19 PM

Sounds like your shooting sub par ammo, what you need to do is load your own and tailor it to each specific rifle, then you know your getting the best, otherwise your wasting time and money:rolleyes:

aslowdodge
09-14-2010, 8:56 PM
I've got a batch of Fiocchi that is giving me troubles. Seller & Bellet is the most reliable brand I've run thus far. Winchester wasn't bad either. Sure which I had stuck with one of those instead of getting the Fiocchi nightmare I have now. Sadly I bought in bulk. I have a 1K+ rounds of the stuff.

Which fiochi. I've 2000 rounds of new fiochi. What troubles are you having?

stitchnicklas
09-14-2010, 11:00 PM
my stag 3h does not like wolf,breaks the case rims and causes fte's, brass it will eat all day.

Cobra Tactical
09-14-2010, 11:39 PM
we have shot everything from Wolf to Silver State Armory and most issues come from improper maintenence

www.cobratacitcal.com

Dragunov
09-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Sounds like your shooting sub par ammo, what you need to do is load your own and tailor it to each specific rifle, then you know your getting the best, otherwise your wasting time and money:rolleyes:There is nothing sub par about match king ammo. I understand that handloading is better.
1) I don't have the time (although I would like to).
2) I'm one of those KISS people. Pull it off the shelf, get good with it. Use it.

I have considered reloading and may do that in the future, but the ammo I do buy is certainly no waste of money. Not getting everything out of what you have on hand, is however.

Saym14
09-16-2010, 10:40 PM
so far no steel case or laqurered ammo fo rme.

Durasteel
09-16-2010, 11:33 PM
I've only shot steel-cased ammo through my AR. Never had a single problem.

metalliman545
09-17-2010, 2:05 AM
There is nothing sub par about match king ammo. I understand that handloading is better.
1) I don't have the time (although I would like to).
2) I'm one of those KISS people. Pull it off the shelf, get good with it. Use it.

I have considered reloading and may do that in the future, but the ammo I do buy is certainly no waste of money. Not getting everything out of what you have on hand, is however.

LOL. be sure to let people know when you shoot! match grade brass here everyone!

Dragunov
09-17-2010, 9:04 AM
LOL. be sure to let people know when you shoot! match grade brass here everyone!If you're where I'm at, and bring something to catch it in, It's yours. :) I've had people ask me for it before.

jak77
09-17-2010, 9:47 AM
Nope. Mine is like a hooker, swallows anything I put in its mouth. Buy quality and it should be fine with any ammo. I shoot mostly steel case as its cheaper and I haven't started reloading for it yet

BLD
09-20-2010, 10:17 PM
So far all my AR has eaten is XM193 in several of it's varients. I shoot at a lot of steel targets in matches, so I can't use steel core ammo. Otherwise I'd be all over the Bear. My Ruskies love that stuff , Brown or Silver.

Is the Federal XM193BK the same as the American Eagle that has caused the recent Kabooms, and QC issues? I bought a case earlier this year and have shot over 800 flawless rounds. I like it and want to order some more. Right now I can get a case for the same price as PMC Bronze. What would be better for my buck? My rifle is A DDM4 clone (all DD or BCM internals) with a DD 1/7 M4 barrel (chambered in 5.56).

nagorb
09-20-2010, 10:42 PM
So far all my AR has eaten is XM193 in several of it's varients. I shoot at a lot of steel targets in matches, so I can't use steel core ammo. Otherwise I'd be all over the Bear. My Ruskies love that stuff , Brown or Silver.

Is the Federal XM193BK the same as the American Eagle that has caused the recent Kabooms, and QC issues? I bought a case earlier this year and have shot over 800 flawless rounds. I like it and want to order some more. Right now I can get a case for the same price as PMC Bronze. What would be better for my buck? My rifle is A DDM4 clone (all DD or BCM internals) with a DD 1/7 M4 barrel (chambered in 5.56).

Brown bear isn't all steel core.

captbilly
09-21-2010, 9:46 PM
Polymer coated ammo is ok as long as you can assure that a round will never sit in a hot chamber long enough to melt the polymer. I am not sure what polymer thay use in coating these newer Wolf cartridges but very few polymers can take temperature over about 300 Degrees F., and some can take much less. If you are only going to the range to do some slow fire target work then it is likely the chamber won't get hot enough to melt the coating but if you are playing around in the woods and going full auto or firing a bunch of rounds very quickly the chamber will get very hot.

I suppose you can clean the melted polymer out of the chamber with no harm done but I am not exactly sure what solvent to use.

Like so many other decisions about ones rifle the decision about ammo boils down to what you are using the rifle for. If like me you are all about accuracy then you must find ammo that works and then get a bunch of it so that you can actually sight in your rifle and expect it to shoot the same way the nest time you use it. If you just want the rifle to go bang and send a bullet down range than almost anything will do. My concern about polymer coated bullets is that they could actually stop the rifle from even going bang, forget about worrying about exactly where the bullet would end up.

resident-shooter
09-21-2010, 9:59 PM