PDA

View Full Version : AFG on AR pistols?! Link to Letter from ATF...

sytfu_RR
09-09-2010, 3:04 PM
I don't know about it... since the letter had no explanation just a "Yes"

Probably still end up in legal trouble, but interesting to see the ATF's letter.

Link to the original poster on AR15.com

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=122&t=509408

They said that YES we can legally mount and use a Magpul AFG on the bottom accessory rail of an AR-15 type pistol.

I will scan the letter when I get back to work on Tuesday and upload it for you guys. Surprised? Me too. Excited? Hell yeah, me too.

Edit: Letter uploaded to google docs. https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B0qyloA48O3XZWFjYjMwYTMtYTg1MC00NzVhL WI3NmMtZDRiNTMzNzdhMzUx&hl=en

BONECUTTER
09-09-2010, 3:15 PM
The letter if from ATF not DOJ.

ATF care about federal law.

A pitol with a foregrip has always been viewed as a AOW in the feds eye. This sounds like they don't view it as a foregrip.

CA on the other hand fore a rifle says "A forward pistol grip."but for a hand gun says "A second handgrip."

Even if the AFG doesn't meet the ATF's interpretation of a Forward grip for federal law doesn't say it bypasses CA interpretation of a second handgrip.

sytfu_RR
09-09-2010, 3:16 PM
ah yes, kalifornia protecting us again. Just was interesting read. And the issue with having the Rubber end caps on the buffer tubes. Didn't know that was such a grey area.

Quiet
09-09-2010, 4:06 PM
And the issue with having the Rubber end caps on the buffer tubes. Didn't know that was such a grey area.

You do know BATFE said it was okay to have the rubber end cap on the buffer tube of an AR pistol for use when it is being stored in a safe and not for use while shooting.

sytfu_RR
09-09-2010, 4:30 PM
yeah I saw the letter in regards to using it for storage in a safe, don't recall anything saying it wasn't okay for shooting. But I guess it's just easier not to have it. Was there anything definitive in regards to the hand stops?