PDA

View Full Version : Transporting my rifle the right way...

Crowesnest
09-09-2010, 3:01 PM
Okay, so here is the question. I need to take my rifle into my local gun store for minor service. I am still waiting for my lockable hard case to come in. In the meantime, should I detach the upper from the lower for repairs or will I be okay bringing in the entire rifle in my range bag, and all locked/chained up? Knowing these owners, they're pretty strict about these things. Just want to make sure I'm not breaking any laws with regards to transporting. Of course, it will be locked in my trunk and I am not bringing any magazines with me whatsoever.

Thanks

SJgunguy24
09-09-2010, 3:04 PM
Throw it in the trunk and be done with it. The trunk will satisfy the legal requirement of a locked container.

Dead*Reckoned
09-09-2010, 3:05 PM
If you have it locked in your car's trunk, you won't even need to lock up the soft carry case, and no need to detach upper and lower. This is all assuming it isn't a RAW, which laws I am not too sure about.

Army
09-09-2010, 3:29 PM
The only rifle transport law, is the 1000' school zone restriction. Otherwise, you can duct tape it to the hood of your car and go.

MoBait
09-09-2010, 3:39 PM
I have some doubt whether my response was in accordance to CPC. I don't want to spread fud so I removed it.

safewaysecurity
09-09-2010, 3:41 PM
I always thought there was no regulation of long gun carry. Basically an unloaded long gun is the equivalent of LUCC as far as legality? I thought you could open carry a long gun within 1000ft of the GFSZ.

Dead*Reckoned
09-09-2010, 4:06 PM
I always thought there was no regulation of long gun carry. Basically an unloaded long gun is the equivalent of LUCC as far as legality? I thought you could open carry a long gun within 1000ft of the GFSZ.

That would be news to me!:confused:

Librarian
09-09-2010, 4:16 PM

So long as you don't cross into the GFSZ, that's right.

Decide for yourself whether that's a wise idea - lots of factors influence that decision.

slappomatt
09-09-2010, 4:19 PM
The only rifle transport law, is the 1000' school zone restriction. Otherwise, you can duct tape it to the hood of your car and go.

This is correct. Man that school law ruins alot of simple freedoms