PDA

View Full Version : Walther 22 v. Sig Mosquito?

deadcoyote
09-09-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm thinking about buying a 22 pistol. I've seen some threads on here stating the walther is made from low quality parts(poor quality tin/steel/alloy) ? Does this effect things much considering the operating pressures of a .22? I know a lot of people are fond of the Rugers but I hope to retire out of state and eventually get a suppressor for the 22, I know the Sig has an optional threaded barrel for a few bucks extra and the walther has a lot of aftermarket and possibly factory threaded barrels. Let me know what you think.

gorenut
09-09-2010, 11:12 AM
What you've said about the Walther can also be said about the Mosquito. The Mosquito isn't actually made by Sig, Sig just slapped their name on it and distributes it. You can look up Mosquito stories and many have lemons. I think overall, I've heard better things about the Walther.. however.. my personal experiences have been bad with the Walther. Shot really low and had weird feeding issues. My recommendation would be to look for a Ruger (revolver or semi) or Buckmark.

0x80884
09-09-2010, 11:26 AM
I agree with gorenut about the Sig, but according to a post made by On-Target range, there is a new feed-ramp design that is supposed to be out on the Mosquitos. I've been following it because my girlfriend wants the pink one.

There was a post earlier in this subject about a recent preowned purchase of a Mosquito, and how simply using high velocity rounds, the operator received no problems from the handgun.

Does anyone else have more info on the Mosquito design?

Oldnoob
09-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Neither will not meet the same quality standard as to Ruger, Browning (or even Beretta Neos, Smith 22A).

But if the material are what you were ask about, yes walther was made with Zinc alloy (which by itself are fine but require to cast thicker/heavier to match the same strength with steel. Walther didn't do that for their P22). If I have to (not willingly) to choose between them two, I guess I'll pick Sig.

viet4lifeOC
09-09-2010, 11:50 AM
My first handgun purchase was a Sig Mosquito following the advice of many on this forum to practice correct technique A LOT with a .22.

I agree...the Ruger and Buckmark are better .22s than the Mosquito or Walther. But I wanted a gun that would feel more like a semi auto that I was eventually going to get.
I chose the Sig Mosquito and bought it on the spot before reading all the problem ppl were having.

Fortunately, being a noobie and having no idea--I read the manual before I hit the range. Only fed it with CCI mini-mags. Had very little problem with FTF or FTE. After thousands of rounds put through it..I decided to put in Fed .22lr...some FTF and FTE, but I saw this as a perfect time to clearly think how to tap-rack quickly. Made a bad situation into a learning experience. Overall--I put maybe 4K rounds thru the Sig and am very happy with the purchase. Learned a lot about shooting and improving my technique on the cheap.

My brother has a Walther and he has problems with it to the point where he barely shoots it.

My vote between the Mosquito and Wathler...The Sig Mosquito. If you can get around the esthetics..the Ruger or Benchmark would be a better route.

Quiet
09-09-2010, 11:51 AM
I've handled/shot the Walther P22 on several occasions in NV.
Everytime the Walther P22 was supppressed.

It never jammed, while using high quality .22LR ammo.
I was bascially point shooting it, since you could not align the sights due to the suppressor.

If you add a threaded barrel for suppressor use, you'll also need to add aftermarket iron sights to see over the noise suppressor.

Some of the factory SIG Mosquito TB variants come with taller iron sights, so you can see them over a noise suppressor.

deadcoyote
09-09-2010, 11:55 AM
I just wanted to clarify, I've owned a lot of Ruger firearms and I think they make good products (w/ exception of their old P series autos, not terrible, just bulky/heavy/sounds like it contained $3.67 worth of change) Just figured I'd go with a suppressor ready pistol. I guess I might just buy a Ruger as I'm not planning on moving for years, can have some knowledgeable smith mod it when i move out of state.

maddoggie13
09-09-2010, 11:58 AM
P22 will eat any type of ammo....

ALOC
09-09-2010, 12:08 PM
I have a Masquito and have not had any issues when using CCI's.

Donkeypunch0420
09-09-2010, 1:16 PM
I have the Walther. I like it very much. Mine is picky about ammo however. Mine will not cycle most standard velocity loads, but luckily it likes the green and yellow Remington bricks, so ammo is cheap and plentiful. I've probably gone through 2000 rounds plus through mine. I bought mine about 5 or 6 years ago, so mine actually came with a threaded barrel. I believe the DOJ made a big stink about it, so I had to have my threaded muzzle permanently capped. Walther paid for all this, and I was only without my gun for a few weeks. Oh, and they were nice enough to change out my recoil spring, which I'm pretty sure it was due for anyway. Like others have said; a Buck Mark or Mark II will be a bit nicer, especially in overall quality and accuracy, but there's something very fun about shooting the P22. I just wish the finish was a little better, the bluing hasn't held very well, and now my blued P22 is very "gun metal grey". Oh and I don't care for the reassembly of the firearm, I think they could have made it much more user friendly.

The Sauce
09-09-2010, 1:25 PM
Mt gf got a Sig Mosquito last month and she loves it. She feeds it Minimags and hasn't had a single hiccup...although I think she's only put maybe 4-500 rds through.

Not to mention, it looks a lot cooler than any of it's competitors. (IMO).

Rangda
09-09-2010, 1:36 PM
I tried them both and neither of them ran more then 50rd before it start jamming. I know cheap 22lr ammo suppose to be less than reliable but that was lots tap-rack drill going on with those two.

But personally, I think Sig looks nicer.

XDRoX
09-09-2010, 1:39 PM
I have a P22 and love it. It eats everything, the only problem I have with it is that sometimes with low velocity ammo, like Federal bulk, it won't cycle.

zman
09-09-2010, 2:09 PM
I have a Walther P22 (Nickel) and it's been a very good, reliable, and fun gun. I had the Sig Mosquito and it was a POS so I traded it for a .22LR Kimber Rimfire 1911 (which I love) :)

deadcoyote
09-09-2010, 5:04 PM
Just saw a used Beretta model 76 at my local shop used for $400. It looks like a really nice pistol and has a great trigger. Is that a fair price for a used one?

tiko
09-09-2010, 8:19 PM
My Mosquito got a lot FTF with bulk 22LR, when I use CCI minimag, no more jams, I do not have to clean until 500 rounds.

Roccobro
09-09-2010, 8:21 PM
I have both. If you like paying for Minimags to keep the Sig jam free get it.

My P22 is picky, but not as much as the Sig. It just prefers cheap bulk Remington Golden Bullets. :p

Justin

Donny1
09-10-2010, 8:31 AM
Why buy a pistol that needs expensive ammo? You are defeating the purpose of getting a cheap to shoot plinker. Spend once and save money in the long run.

My Ruger has 5k rounds of cheap bulk Federal and Winchester through it and the only problems were the first mag had 1 FTE, and about 5 duds overall.

When everybody has problems with particular models there is a reason.

lugar
09-10-2010, 9:42 AM
my P22 eats everything. Gonna try some Aguila 60 grain subsonic next week.

Roccobro
09-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Just took both of my two out this AM. 10 mags of Federal bulk through the P22, and only 1 mag of CCI's through the Sig... and that was only so a colleague to try it out.

Justin

viet4lifeOC
09-10-2010, 1:04 PM
Why buy a pistol that needs expensive ammo?

I'm not rich my any standards, but mini-mags from walmart is only about .06 a round.

I fed my Sig Mosquito mini-mags for thousands of rounds and then switched over to the Federal bulk...it does FTF/FTE sometimes, but not enough to bother me. Now I shoot mainly Federals. I still have about 47 clear cases of 100/case in my closet.

I put a good 4-5K rounds of mini-mags for 3- 3 1/2 months. GOOD TIMES :)

Donny1
09-10-2010, 2:18 PM
I'm not rich my any standards, but mini-mags from walmart is only about .06 a round.

walmart Federal Bulk 550 under $19, about half the cost so over time it's worth it.

gorenut
09-10-2010, 3:14 PM
My only problem with CCI MiniMags is they get difficult to find sometimes. Internet vendors jack up the price as a result.

Manvj002
09-11-2010, 10:04 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=339683

i had the exact same question as you, which is why i started that thread.. i never shot the p22, i have small hands, and even for me it felt like a toy. i cant say enough good things about the mosquito. perfect with cci and .3% fte on federal. im going to shoot it later today and i cant wait!

The Sauce
09-11-2010, 10:30 AM
My gf shoots Minimag all the time. She's snooty and doesn't want to put "the cheap stuff" in it LOL.

I guess that means we're wealthy.

yzernie
09-11-2010, 4:11 PM
I've sold many of the Mosquitos and even have 2 myself. What I find the most common is some folks don't read their owners manual and have no idea the gun comes with two different recoil springs. You can see where there would be a problem right there. Some folks also expect the same accuracy out of a .22lr pistol they get out of their .22lr rifles.

Since the platform is almost identical to the wife's and my duty guns, we shoot ours for practice regularly as an alternative to shooting the P226 9mm guns. Collectively, we have probably near 10,000 rounds through our 2 Mosquitos and have an occasional typical .22lr misfire but have had vitually no problems with either gun. Yes, they like to be clean and lubed but we should be doing that with every gun we own. When we got them a couple years back, the first 500rds were CCI mini mags and ever since then we use the Federal bulk packs.

They are a great and inexpensive gun for a beginner to learn with but in our home they also have a place for real life practice with the platform almost identical to our P226s/P229s/P220s.