PDA

View Full Version : Modifying 1911 Help

Greenbeanz69
09-09-2010, 11:01 AM
I've decided to lighten the trigger pull on my SA Trophy Match as I think 5lbs is a little on the higher end. I'm looking for gunsmith or someone to install some parts; Ideally they would be in the San Francisco Bay Area but I'd ship the gun if turnaround time isn't too long. I have talked to Tabors Shooting in san bruno and the gunsmith there isn't doing trigger jobs below 3.5 pounds for "liability reasons". I want a 2-2.5 pound clean trigger pull.

I have a CZ SP01 with competition hammer installed that breaks around 2.5 pounds and I am very comfortable with that trigger pull. After reading a little on 1911 parts I decided to get:

EGW Ultimate Trigger kit : http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34_81&products_id=238&zenid=09068f743fbfe24d50d735beff5a51a2
STI Short black 1911 Trigger
A 18 or 19# mainspring (which requires changing out SA ILS mainspring housing too)
An ed brown or fusion custom mainspring housing with magwell

The gun already has really good accuracy and I think these parts would complete the handgun nicely. Id appreciate any feedback from fellow Calgunners on the part choices and available 1911 gunsmiths!!

NiteQwill
09-09-2010, 11:25 AM
You can always do it yourself if you have the know how.

I also have an SA magwell unused that I can sell. Fits nicely with the frame.

Greenbeanz69
09-09-2010, 11:42 AM
EGW says the trigger kit is not exactly "drop in". I've never done one and heard that you have to line up geometries right on the hammer and sear and setting tension on the sear spring right. I wouldn't want to go at it alone and mess things up.

Astig Boy
09-09-2010, 12:37 PM
I believe there are some gunsmiths who can do the work with out you having to ship the entire gun, just ship the trigger group. A 1911 trigger job is cake walk for 1911 smiths, not complicated at all. Turn around time would be quicker, and cheaper to boot. Might want to check the 1911 forums for that.

rips31
09-09-2010, 2:48 PM
installation of the trigger, mainspring, and msh is something you can do yourself. you probably just need a good file and some patience. i just did mine and it wasn't as hard as i thought it would be.

as for the trigger kit, you can probably do the fitting if you watch the brownells videos or read some of the 1911 references. the 1911 forums are also a good resource.

I've decided to lighten the trigger pull on my SA Trophy Match as I think 5lbs is a little on the higher end. I'm looking for gunsmith or someone to install some parts; Ideally they would be in the San Francisco Bay Area but I'd ship the gun if turnaround time isn't too long. I have talked to Tabors Shooting in san bruno and the gunsmith there isn't doing trigger jobs below 3.5 pounds for "liability reasons". I want a 2-2.5 pound clean trigger pull.

I have a CZ SP01 with competition hammer installed that breaks around 2.5 pounds and I am very comfortable with that trigger pull. After reading a little on 1911 parts I decided to get:

EGW Ultimate Trigger kit : http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34_81&products_id=238&zenid=09068f743fbfe24d50d735beff5a51a2
STI Short black 1911 Trigger
A 18 or 19# mainspring (which requires changing out SA ILS mainspring housing too)
An ed brown or fusion custom mainspring housing with magwell

The gun already has really good accuracy and I think these parts would complete the handgun nicely. Id appreciate any feedback from fellow Calgunners on the part choices and available 1911 gunsmiths!!

Army
09-09-2010, 3:13 PM
No need to go below 3lbs, with 3.5lbs being ideal.

1911's are rather violent on recoil, and a light sear can bounce off the hammer notch if there is not enough force holding it there. Rather frightening thing to suddenly have a full auto pistol in your hand....it's also not good for the overhead at the range.

A competent 'smith can tweak the fingers on the spring to lighten the trigger pull safely.

mtenenhaus
09-09-2010, 6:03 PM
In the Morro Bay / SLO area is Apex Tactical...Randy Lee, he does fantastic work.
Bruce Gray has always been magnificent to work wiith and he's done brilliantly with all of my 1911 work. He's located in Spray OR so that would mean shipping.