PDA

View Full Version : Santa Barbara Glass Factory

ArmednReady
09-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Does anyone know the hours of operation? When Is a good time to go, when its not crowded? Also when is the next clean up sceduled? I went there the other day and people have already trashed it.

Hopi
09-09-2010, 11:06 AM
It's open and safe during daylight hours. M-T are great times to go if you can, and either very early in the morning or later in the afternoon on the weekends are less crowded than peak hours.

Cleanups happen fairly spontaneously and there are a few parties involved with organizing them. Join the groups in my sigline below to keep up-to-date on news and events.

Ideally, if you post a "hey, i'm going up to clean and shoot" thread, people will join you....just give enough notice.

The biggest challenge is hauling out the trash, but search for "Glass Factory" and you'll find that there have been some very successful recent developments in coordinating the removal with rangers and other agencies.

Do you live in SB or further out in the county somewhere?

ArmednReady
09-09-2010, 12:26 PM
I live in Santa Barbara in fact im at foothill and 154, like 15 minutes from the glass factory. Like I said I went there about 2 weeks ago and there was atleast 10,000 shell casings on the ground and computers people were shooting at. People have no consideration. When I go up there I bring fruit or paper targets mostly fruit because its fun to watch it explode and it decomposes. Anyway I was planning on taking a first time shooter out there tommorrow morning (friday) do you think that would be a good time? Or do you think it will be crowded?

Hopi
09-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Friday mornings are usually pretty good as well.

Take some pics...that usually motivates the crowds to mobilize :)

I'm off Foothill down by Alamar, on the top of the hill.......howdy neighbor!

ArmednReady
09-09-2010, 3:24 PM
So if I act like Im taking pics for a news paper or somthing they will buzz off hahaha good to know. Yea im right by you if and when the next clean up PM me and ill be there.
Its a nice thing they got going up there its just a shame people trash it, they ruin it for us all. Im not a fan of the winchester.

Hopi
09-09-2010, 3:49 PM
So if I act like Im taking pics for a news paper or somthing they will buzz off hahaha good to know.

Ha. That's not exactly what I meant......i meant that if you take pics of the garbage and post them here, it will motivate more members to get up there to join the clean effort.

As a reminder, make sure to Join the Social Group and check into the 'roll-call thread' in my signature below......

South Coast Community Chapter...Check In Here! (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=261078) / South Coast Community Chapter Social Group...Join Here! (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/group.php?groupid=6)

Have fun tomorrow!

ArmednReady
09-09-2010, 3:56 PM
Haha I c. Well im going to try that technique anyway. Ya I will try to take some pics up there and make people aware of it. So do you think I will have a problem tommorrow with it being busy?

Hopi
09-09-2010, 4:03 PM
No idea, it is Patriot Day weekend.......but usually Fridays are ok and rarely is it too busy to shoot safely, even at peak times.

ArmednReady
09-09-2010, 4:14 PM
Ya last time I went there i think there was only like 3 people including myself, but the range isnt very big so it looks like it would fill up fast. Whats the most people you have seen there shooting at 1 time?

Nate
09-09-2010, 5:32 PM
I was just up there over Memorial weekend with Kidnk9s. Kidnk9s organized the last clean up on 7/31 and did an excellent job. Now the place looks like crap already only a month later.

The range varies from a few people(1-2) to a lot of people(5-20). Not a big range the way its set up, but it serves its purpose.

ArmednReady
09-09-2010, 5:40 PM
Well how many people could be there before you guys would consider it unsafe?
'

Hopi
09-09-2010, 5:47 PM
we had 15-20 folks up there for one of the clean and shoots, and that was just our group. I've seen 35+ people up there and it is comfortable.

Nate
09-09-2010, 6:14 PM
Well how many people could be there before you guys would consider it unsafe?
'

I would say unsafe is more relative to irresponsible shooters, then the amount of people. However, the more shooters, more opportunity for issues. I would say 25-35 shooters on the firing line may be much.

Just depends on the shooters.

ArmednReady
09-09-2010, 7:08 PM
Really 35 people? I figured there is like 4 benches and if there were more than like twice that or so it would be uncomfortable to shoot.

Hopi
09-09-2010, 7:11 PM
The benches are a relatively new arrival. If you mean the picnic tables.

Most people still shoot standing or on fold-out tables they've brought up themselves.

ArmednReady
09-09-2010, 7:22 PM
Or they can use the table I do, aka the tailgate of my truck haha.

Nate
09-09-2010, 8:15 PM
People also shoot on the lower left side of the range.

KidnK9s
09-13-2010, 7:10 PM
I would say 30 on the main firing line and six down below to the left. Let's shoot paper instead of the brand new benches. But then again... the IDIOTS that shoot the benches or signs or toilets or dumpsters... arn't the one's reading this blog...

Craig

KidnK9s
09-16-2010, 8:54 PM
Looks like the new firebreak will be cut sometime next week.

CJ