PDA

View Full Version : How often do you clean your guns?

ArmednReady
09-09-2010, 12:43 AM
So when do you guys clean your guns? Most people I know clean them after every use, but me Ill hit the range 3 times before I clean mine....

So we know how often you clean....how often do you oil?

NSR500
09-09-2010, 12:46 AM
After every session

voiceoftheright
09-09-2010, 12:48 AM
I am conditioned to clean after every trip to the range (USMC) but my dad who shoots competition for the PD says he never really cleans his guns and seems to do pretty well. It seems crazy but he has been doing it since the 70's with minimal cleaning, not his first rodeo at the range.

IntoForever
09-09-2010, 12:55 AM
I clean the rifles/handguns after every use and the shotgun once when I took it home a couple of months ago.

Verci0013
09-09-2010, 1:12 AM
I have somewhat of a bad habit, I usually clean the guns I use after every range trip but I also clean and re-lube ALL my guns at least once a month...even the ones that don't need it.

It's funny really, I take better care of my guns then anything else I own haha

JohnnyCrash
09-09-2010, 1:14 AM
I'm a newbie but I usually clean after 1 or 2 trips to the range. For longevity I'm mostly worried about oiling the barrel often to ward off rust... but:

...my dad who shoots competition for the PD says he never really cleans his guns and seems to do pretty well. It seems crazy but he has been doing it since the 70's with minimal cleaning, not his first rodeo at the range.

Maybe I'm a worry-wart :)

AlliedArmory
09-09-2010, 1:39 AM
after maybe 2-3-4-5 range trips.

586L-Frame
09-09-2010, 2:14 AM
I clean my firearms right after I return home from the range
or by the next evening.

586L-Frame

oghl888
09-09-2010, 2:55 AM
When I first got started, I clean every time after a session. Now, after many years, I clean range guns only when they get dirty enough, or when a year or so has past since the last cleaning/oiling.

It's fairly easy to check how much fouling is in the barrel and how much junk has collected in the gun.

This only applies to my range guns. an HD gun is spotless and slightly over oiled (runny oil is then wiped off).

luckystrike
09-09-2010, 3:25 AM
after the range, and all of them get reoiled once a month.

Splinter
09-09-2010, 3:41 AM
I wipe all guns down after every use. Usually do a light cleaning of hanguns after every use. Rifles get the barrels cleaned after 3-5 or so uses. All the smiths tell me that they frequently see more barrels ruined from cleaning then shooting the barrel out or lack of cleaning. Something I have taken to heart. Know a few guys who have rifles with thousands of rounds and they only get a quick pass with an oiled patch if they are gonna be stored for a long time.

Ron-Solo
09-09-2010, 4:23 AM
After every trip to the range.

Double_D
09-09-2010, 6:00 AM
Right after every shooting session.

maddoggie13
09-09-2010, 6:08 AM
Right after I return from the range...

Günter
09-09-2010, 6:26 AM
Basic Field Strip Cleaning = Done right after each shooting session
Relubrication = Once a month
Full Detail Cleaning = Once a year

I clean my handguns religiously and though it may be too much, I believe a well maintained handgun will retain much of its reliability, longevity and value.

ZX-10R
09-09-2010, 6:29 AM
The AR after every outing. The PSL and WASR not as religiously...Every two sessions. Depending on round count which is usually 100+ rounds per rifle. I know my PSL can go well over 500+ rounds without cleaning.

Flouncer
09-09-2010, 6:54 AM
After years of plinking with surplus Mausers, and the attendant cleaning chores that follow, pistols are a breath of fresh air. No more than 3-4 minutes, DONE. I get it now why people like to shoot handguns. CHEAP, and almost no cleaning effort at all. :D

I clean when I get home from the range.

HighLander51
09-09-2010, 6:59 AM
but my dad who shoots competition for the PD says he never really cleans his guns and seems to do pretty well. It seems crazy but he has been doing it since the 70's with minimal cleaning....

Ya, same here, detail strip a few weeks before a Nationals, otherwise just the bore snake

GunDog
09-09-2010, 7:04 AM
Don't let the sun set on a dirty firearm!

regalado1
09-09-2010, 7:06 AM
Clean mine after every range trip.

joefreas
09-09-2010, 7:10 AM
As soon as they stop working.

jdg30
09-09-2010, 7:32 AM
I clean my guns after every time I shoot them. By keeping on top of the cleaning like that, it usually only takes a few minutes to clean the fouling out because not much has built up. Once in a while I'll clean them every other session, for instance if I'm going to shoot them again the very next day.

It may not hurt them much by not cleaning often, but I think a well maintained gun shows pride of ownership and will be better off in the long run compared to one that is rarely cleaned. It may be a mental thing but I just don't like carrying a dirty gun.

cineski
09-09-2010, 7:34 AM
After every single range session. And they're left sparkling.

norcal.xd
09-09-2010, 7:55 AM
i usually clean mine the day after the range trip... oh sh%# i forgot i need more solvent...

SpringfieldEMP
09-09-2010, 8:02 AM
Mine are cleaned when I get home from a session. I love keeping them looking like new!

iareConfusE
09-09-2010, 8:07 AM
I shoot insanely corrosive ammo out of two of my guns, so I have to clean them right after the range, or else they get rusty and gross. Even the guns I don't shoot corrosive ammo out of, I'll still clean immediately when I get back home.

BostonFan
09-09-2010, 8:17 AM
I clean my rifles at the range as soon as I'm done. Just a quick bore scrub and wipe down and re-oil and then it's packed up. Handgun I clean at home. Do a full cleaning and re-oiling every 6 months or so

OneSevenDeuce
09-09-2010, 8:25 AM
U.S. Army Infantry. If I don't clean my weapons immediately after returning from the range I break out in a cold sweat and start looking around for guys with stripes. Besides, sitting in front of the TV with the game on, a cold beer on the coffee table, and cleaning my weapon makes me happy. Don't ask me why, it just does.

CHS
09-09-2010, 8:32 AM
I've seen a few guns damaged from over-cleaning or from people that didn't know how to clean properly.

Proper lubrication is FAR more important than cleanliness.

I don't clean the bore until I notice an accuracy degradation. I don't clean the guns themselves unless something's really wrong or I'm diagnosing a functional problem. Otherwise, I just lube them properly and occasionally wipe out the old crud.

Since I started using Slip2000 on my .22's, I've noticed that I almost never have to clean them. To me, that's awesome because .22's are the dirtiest firearms out there.

bombadillo
09-09-2010, 8:34 AM
Depends on the gun. If I really go through and thoroughly clean an AR-15, then I go to the range and put down 40-60 rounds, I'm gonna give it a couple trips. I'll bore snake it but thats about it. My handguns are a different story. I will usually go through and detail strip out as far as I can with my guns and clean and lube every part of them. Rifles are one thing and cleaning and cleaning them seems to just mess up my groupings so I've learned to just leave well enough alone for a little bit if its spot on.

Timbob55
09-09-2010, 8:37 AM
After every session

+1 on every session

gorenut
09-09-2010, 8:39 AM
Depends on what you consider cleaning. I'll do a wipe-down and lube after each range trip. A thorough cleaning maybe after every 3 trips. Each wipe-down I make sure most the debris is gone and the inside of the bore is clean.

SamSung
09-09-2010, 8:45 AM
I thoroughly (detail strip down) clean mine every time I came back from the range, there's an old saying " a clean gun is a healthy gun"

Black Majik
09-09-2010, 8:52 AM
Every single night and after lunch.

Legasat
09-09-2010, 8:52 AM
I clean them after I get back from the range. Since I rotate which guns I take to the range, all my guns get cleaned & lubed several times per year.

amd64
09-09-2010, 9:02 AM
Range/training guns every 500 - 1000 rounds. I keep them lubed between cleaning though. HD-guns get cleaned after every range trip.

Foriegn power
09-09-2010, 9:28 AM
For my .22's rarely (I don't count on them to save my life) to never since it's good to know the drill to clear jams and failure to fires etc. But for my firearms that I may count on such as my 12 gauge and 9mm I clean them after each range trip.

Grayblue
09-09-2010, 9:30 AM
I am conditioned to clean after every trip to the range (USMC) but my dad who shoots competition for the PD says he never really cleans his guns and seems to do pretty well. It seems crazy but he has been doing it since the 70's with minimal cleaning, not his first rodeo at the range.
There's a "make it look good" cleaning and "keep it running" cleaning.

For most good pistols, the later does not take that long.

shooting4life
09-09-2010, 9:44 AM
I clean them when accuracy drops off or they start to malfunction. Blued guns get wiped down with an oily rag to prevent rust whenever they are touched. My stainless smith (especially my 625) will go hundreds if not thousands of rounds before they get cleaned. I pretty much only shoot revolvers and most of them were only deep cleaned once when they were purchased and have not be cleaned since (probably only shot 200-300 rounds through them since I like to rotate them in and out and I don't shoot that much)
I would rather be reloadi than cleaning.

drunktank
09-09-2010, 10:01 AM
I clean after every session, whether it's just 1 round fired or 600. I also clean every firearm once a month. For me it's two fold though. I enjoy doing it, plus it gives me the sense knowing I've check everything inside and out. So um, yeah, I mainly enjoy doing it! On the positive note, most of my firearms look and operate like new, minus the normal wear and tear. They are tools after all.

I treat my hand tools the same way. Wipe down after every use.

ArmednReady
09-09-2010, 11:13 AM
How often do you oil your guns?

Greg-Dawg
09-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Clean after every range session.

How often do you oil your guns?

Whenever I see a dry part.

Droc101
09-09-2010, 11:53 AM
every time I go to the range or hunt

viet4lifeOC
09-09-2010, 12:02 PM
It's funny really, I take better care of my guns then anything else I own haha

I get told that a lot too.

I also clean my pistol after every range use.

I saw a video on youtube where the poster said he lubes his 1911 after every 200 rounds and cleans and lubes after 1000 rounds.

I tried that but I am to anal that I went back to cleaning/lubing after every range trip..even if I shot only 24-50 rounds.

Does anyone have any reading references to hard data about how often a gun should be cleaned and lubed?

I feel like a sheep following along....ie change oil on car after 3K miles...dental cleanings 2-3 times a year...I know all these are false.

thanks

deadcoyote
09-09-2010, 12:12 PM
I clean all firearms everytime I shoot them except for an old Remington 521T because the fouling in the bore makes it shoot better. I also wipe off my carry sidearm if its a hot day after I take it off. I use one of those cheap ($4) Hoppes silicone wipes, works well.

ZombieTactics
09-09-2010, 12:24 PM
I generally clean immediately after getting back to the range. Sometimes I have to wait until the next day. Occasionally, I don't get to it until after the next range trip. Haven't had an issue with this "regimen" over the past 30 years or so. Everything "goes bang" every time, so I figure I am good-to-go.

sigfan91
09-09-2010, 12:25 PM
I clean the guns that I shoot maybe once every 6 months. I have Sigs and Glocks. Sigs I just keep wet with grease and clean when I feel like it. Glocks I reapply some grease at the rails and shoot until it stops. So far no luck.

I do wipe down the outside of my Sigs with oily rag to keep rust at bay. Glock's Tennifer finish is nearly indestructible so I don't do much to it.

NiteQwill
09-09-2010, 12:27 PM
We are supposed to clean them?!?!

I have a Sig that has 3000 rounds with no cleaning.

den888
09-09-2010, 2:58 PM
After every use...

evidens83
09-09-2010, 3:00 PM
Right when I get home from the range.

Sam
09-09-2010, 3:28 PM
I clean fun guns every handful of range trips and don't do a very good job. I clean the HD gun every range trip and it is spotless.

Shooter79
09-09-2010, 3:32 PM
We clean ours after every trip to the range but only relubricate them every 3 or 4 months or so unless they seem to need it.

CHS
09-09-2010, 3:35 PM
We clean ours after every trip to the range but only relubricate them every 3 or 4 months or so unless they seem to need it.

You know that cleaning a gun strips out the lubricant, right?

So why does it sound like you lubricate LESS than you clean?

rips31
09-09-2010, 3:40 PM
maybe 1x/yr? generally it's just a wipe-down after the range. i just oil up the rails and any other moving parts i can get the oiler needle to. otherwise, i just buy a new gun.

komrad
09-09-2010, 3:42 PM
yep, after every range trip.

RollingCode3
09-09-2010, 4:19 PM
If i am using the gun for self defense, the gun needs to be cleaned and lubed after every range visit. If i haven't used the gun in months, then i take it out and lube it every 2 months.

hossb7
09-09-2010, 5:19 PM
am i the first to say never?

fsx
09-09-2010, 5:24 PM
AFter every range trip

mrlightning559
09-09-2010, 5:41 PM
Whenever I want some alone time with my 1911

DaveFJ80
09-09-2010, 7:18 PM
After every use....

and detail strip it and clean thoroughly, since it only takes a few extra minutes and it's fun.

scarville
09-09-2010, 7:22 PM
Unless I detect a problem I generally just run the bore snake through to cylinder and bore after each session. If there is too much schmutz on the cylinder face or top strap, I clean that off. Then I wipe it down and put it away. I oil the mechanism whenever it seems to need it.

Each gun gets a complete going over every one or two years.

Brian2217
09-09-2010, 7:45 PM
I clean after every trip to the range.

sevensix2x51
09-09-2010, 7:50 PM
feb 29, just like clockwork. ;)

Günter
09-09-2010, 7:54 PM
U.S. Army Infantry. If I don't clean my weapons immediately after returning from the range I break out in a cold sweat and start looking around for guys with stripes. Besides, sitting in front of the TV with the game on, a cold beer on the coffee table, and cleaning my weapon makes me happy. Don't ask me why, it just does.

I had a good friend in the USMC like that, one time I let him shoot one of my pistols at the range but before he shoots it, he takes it down and starts cleaning it saying it wasn’t clean enough (I cleaned it before the range trip but I guess it wasn’t Mil-Spec). He’s the type of guy who would return anything I lend him in better condition than when I loaned him. Wish I had that kind of motivation in every bothersome tasks in life.

viet4lifeOC
09-09-2010, 7:54 PM
dumb question..but what is a detail strip?

is that field stripping the gun..and cleaning all its parts (slide, frame, barrel, spring, guiderod, magazine well? Or is that all --just cleaning. And a detail strip is taking the trigger parts apart and cleaning them etc

thanks

RollingCode3
09-09-2010, 8:04 PM
dumb question..but what is a detail strip?

is that field stripping the gun..and cleaning all its parts (slide, frame, barrel, spring, guiderod, magazine well? Or is that all --just cleaning. And a detail strip is taking the trigger parts apart and cleaning them etc

thanks
Field strip is when you take the gun down for basic cleaning (frame, barrel, recoil spring and the frame)
Detail strip is when you take the gun completely apart. The only gun i know how to detail strip is the GLOCK. It is so easy even I can do it. :eek:

maxmonster
09-09-2010, 8:13 PM
I clean after every trip to the range, I'm thinking about detail stripping once every 3 months... but knowing me since I'm a clean freak when it comes to my stuff I'll probably end up detail stripping once a month.

themailman
09-09-2010, 8:56 PM
Right now my Glock has seen about 300rds since I cleaned it last.

tiko
09-09-2010, 9:00 PM
Should I clean and lube my bike after every trip? Or when needed only?

DaveFJ80
09-09-2010, 9:06 PM
. The only gun i know how to detail strip is the GLOCK. It is so easy even I can do it.

At first, detail stripping a 1911 can be a little overwhelming. But after you do it a couple of times, it's as easy as detail stripping a Glock... albeight a few more steps. Sure there are are more minor details on the lower frame and internals, but overall the process is no different.

Tanner68
09-09-2010, 9:09 PM
A lot of people are spending way too much time cleaning their guns. And I am sure even the gun doesn't benefit.

bucktooth7
09-09-2010, 9:27 PM
Talk nice to the wife and let her know how much you appreciate clean guns. Perhaps go and buy her some flowers while the job is being done>

eastershawn
09-10-2010, 7:17 AM
after every session, if im not lazy of coarse

cocorador
09-10-2010, 7:27 AM
Sorry, I don't take very good care of my guns. I figure they are tools and I don't have any heirloom guns. I clean my pistols very rarely. I do lube my 1911s before or after every use. I do a complete cleaning around 1K to 1500 rounds. No scrubbing of the barrels. My glocks, never lube except when I do clean them around every few thousand rounds. I've only cleaned my gen 1s around 2 times and have 10s of thousands of rounds through them. I will wipe the front of them though. Bolt rifles 4-6 hundred rounds for non magnum and magnums 3-4 hundred rounds, but I lube the bolt lugs once and a while. Semi rifles- about 6 to 800 rounds, basically every outing.

joefreas
09-10-2010, 7:47 AM
Shoot them til they jam then throw them away-

PistolS&W
09-10-2010, 10:43 AM
I clean after every use wether i shoot 5 rounds or 500. and oiling a gun go hand and hand with cleaning it. i dont know anyone who would clean all the oil off the gun and then not apply new oil. also if your going to be carrying a gun in elements you would be stupid to not have a cleaned and oiled gun. if you ran around in the rain with a pistol with a dirty unoiled barrel then you can probably count on having rust damage.

I know a couple LEO's and they are REQUIRED to keep there duty pistols spotless because its government property and the government wants there firearms to remain in good condition.