PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCP junk? pocket pistol questions and recomendations for son and daughter CCW?

brianm767
09-08-2010, 9:49 PM
First let me start off by saying were looking for two pistols, one will be for my son who is LEO, the other is for my daughter who is a Utah resident so neither gun has to be a cali approved gun, of course they will handle and hopefully shoot the recommended firearms and make the final decisions, I was just doing some leg work for them and getting some opinions from folks with personal experiences with different firearms.

My daughter manages a restaurant in Utah and she's often there either early or late hours taking care of business when no other employees are there. I've talked to her in the past about possibly getting her carry permit and carrying some type of weapon, she's always been responsive to the ideal, but has never really acted on it due to funds, I've decided I would try to buy her a firearm and help her with the training and permit fees.

She says it needs to be small, maybe small enough to fit in her pants pocket, I was going to suggest a J frame, possible a 642 but not sure it would be small enough, so I thought about a small .380 pocket pistol possibly a Ruger LCP, or similar but I'm not sure she's going to care for the recoil, but I'll let her decide, I'm still going to recommend a J frame Airweight ($435).

My son is a Cali LEO, he carries a XD40sc as his backup and off duty weapon, but often when were out, I ask if he has his gun, he says no, he said he'd like to get some thing very small to carry in his pocket for when he feels the XD is still too big to carry, especially when were out riding motorcycles. (says Kahr's are out of his budget).

The reason I ask is the LCP junk? while I was out drooling over new guns at a couple gun stores, one dealer happened to show me a LCP, I told him my son was considering one, and maybe it would be good for my daughter in Utah also, he said good choice, it's a great gun "for what it is", reliable and inexpensive, $299 for my son, and also $299 in Utah, then I went to another gun store later in the day, and I had asked about the LCP, he quickly responded , don't get that pos!! it's a cheap copy of the Kel Tec, we stopped carrying it because they had so many problems.

So I ask, is the LCP a good firearm? neither my son or I can really afford the Kahr 380 $549, another dealer recommended the S&W Bodyguard .380, to my kid, but it was $499, for that price, if he had that much, he'd rather save another $50 and get the Kahr, and my budget for my daughter is probably only going to be $300-$400.

So if we cant afford the Kahrs, what pocket pistols do you guys recommend between the $250 and $400 dollar range? any reason not to go with a LCP?

And any recommendations specifically for my daughter to try to go look at?

GunDog
09-08-2010, 9:58 PM
I think that you, your son, and your daughter are all on the right track in considering the Ruger LCP. It's a great little gun, easily concealable, packs a decent punch, and is manufactured by one of the most highly regarded and respected firearms companies in the USA. You certainly could do alot worse, if you were a mind to.

hitman13
09-08-2010, 10:03 PM
I have a LCP (well, it's my wifes....) and it is a good gun for what it is (.380)....

Ron-Solo
09-08-2010, 10:06 PM
I am an active LEO and own the LCP. Due to my current department regulations, I can not carry it without being in violation of department policy. That said, I LOVE my LCP. I've shot about 500 rounds thru it without a single problem. It is reasonably accurate for such a small gun. The sights are a little hard for my old eyes to pick up, but this is not a target or range gun. After 3 or 4 magazines thru it you want to shoot something else for a while. It is an up close and personal defense gun. It is perfect for that. There are some good .380 rounds out there right now. I use golden sabre in mine.

I have shot every kind of ammo I could find thru it. I used to have a PPK that was very picky on what you fed it. My LCP had eaten anything I've fed it.

The first series of LCP had some issues, but Ruger handled that with a recall and the newer ones have not had any issues.

Buy with confidence.

Aloha,

Ron

p.s. When I retire in March, my LCP will be my primary carry gun since my department's policy is no longer applicable. :)

Droc101
09-08-2010, 10:09 PM
.380 will still make a deadly hole, just like any other caliber. Shot placement acquired through practice practice practice. As for the info that you received from the LGS, sounds like FUD to me. I have never shot a Ruger that I didn't like, and for the price you can scarcely beat it.

$P-Ritch$
09-08-2010, 10:14 PM
I think the LCP got a bad rep early on for two reasons. 1) people didn't like that it seemed like a rip off of the Kel Tec P3AT (I think that's the right model number). 2) There was that little recall incident for the early models with the 330 prefix in the serial number.

Let me start by saying that I own a LCP and I think that it is a great little pocket pistol. It has pretty managable recoil if you have the finger extensions on the mags and mine has yet to malfunction with the couple hundreds rounds I've put through it (not really much of a range gun). It's fed both FMJ's and hollow points just fine. I think it's a solid gun and it's so super light. Take from that what you will.

If you do decide to purchase one be sure to check if it's one of the newer gens (331 prefix in the SN) or that it has been retrofitted (it will have a diamond cut into the bottom of the notch where the hammer cocks). If you do get an old one that somehow hasn't been retrofitted just call ruger I'm sure they still fix them at no cost and you may still be able to get the free hat and mag out of it they offered as an apology.

5shot
09-08-2010, 10:26 PM
I've got a couple LCP's, one for myself and wife. It's a very well made handgun. It may be a copy of the KelTec, but I think it is a improvement on the KelTec.
Like Ron-Solo said you only want to shoot 3-4 mags. The recoil is heavy because the gun is so light. But a great pocket gun.
Like was noted, the sights are small. My wife's LCP has a laser sight, which helps a lot with aiming.

rudeboy3
09-08-2010, 10:27 PM
I have shot the LCP a pretty good amount as well as the Kahr. The Kahr wins by far in every capacity in MY opinion. The sights stand out the most in my mind as well as the function. My LCP has had several FTEs the Kahr I shot has had none. Now the LCP is not a bad gun but to be honest I always grab my old nickel S&W m49 over any 380.

l8apex
09-08-2010, 10:31 PM
The LCP is a great pocket pistol and has ironed most of the fixes in a specific series as the above post mentioned. If it is in your budget, I wouldn't hestitate on the LCP. With that said, Kahr PM9 in that segment is the bees knees for me.

I know you mentioned a concern as far as budget, but I'd carry the larger XD until I could afford the PM9. I've spent a good amount of time behind the trigger on both of these, and the PM9 for me is easier to make good brisk shots, will take good defensive 9mm ammo and doesn't give up much as far as size. YMMV.

RollingCode3
09-08-2010, 11:42 PM
I just picked up a new Ruger LCP last week. It is a great little gun. I have no problem with FMJ but I had a few FTF and FTE with Remington JHP. I am waiting for a different brand of ammo to come in and give it another test.

hitman13
09-09-2010, 8:17 AM
Also, (for your son) check out the Ruger SR9C (compact). Now THAT is a great CCW piece and is what I have pretty much started to carry 95% of the time (replacing a BHP, XD45 4", and XD9SC). I picked mine up out here in AZ for $409 OTD, so I expect that you can get one for sub $500 out there.

Swoop
09-09-2010, 9:31 AM
Sounds like he can get a Sig P238..... Hands down it will blow an LCP out of the water, extremely accurate and eat to carry, it has normal 3 dot sights which are amazing. It's even enjoyable to shoot so he can get plenty of practice in. Highly recommend it!

Rekrab
09-09-2010, 10:03 AM
I'd recommend checking out the Bersa Thunder 380 as well. Great little compact gun and very affordable without feeling cheap.

drunktank
09-09-2010, 10:22 AM
A guy I talk really loves his LCP. Has put several thousand HD rounds through it and not one failure, so now he uses it as his backup. He hangs out with the Magpul guys and has really began drinking the M&P Kool-aid. Bought an M&P9c with apex trigger as recommended by his buddies and is absolutely in love with it also. Carries either as backup, depending on weather and clothing. Don't know if that's too big though, as you mentioned.

$P-Ritch$
09-09-2010, 10:25 AM
I'd recommend checking out the Bersa Thunder 380 as well. Great little compact gun and very affordable without feeling cheap.

+1 for the Bersa. It is very solid and comfortable to shoot.

CALATRAVA
09-09-2010, 10:42 AM

I'd second this. Mine was very good as far as accuracy, size, comfort and reliability. Nice that it has a decocker and manual safety, too.

Out to about 25ft i was able to shoot one ragged hole. Ammo can be found around $15-25.00. Even during the height of the ammo hoarding, i could always find a box or two but always felt like the couple hundred rounds i had on hand were enough. I never carried more than 2 full mags on me at any point anyways.

I'd also recommend the sr9c as an option after the bersa. Quite a bit more expensive, but a solid design, that uses cheap, universally available ammo. Low bore axis lends itself to light recoil, too.

maddoggie13
09-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Go with the kahr p380...small and works with all type of ammo...

ZombieTactics
09-09-2010, 11:20 AM
The LCP is an excellent "conversational distance" self defense pistol. I love mine. It's bee 100% reliable and surprisingly accurate.

I'll put my kudos in for the Bersa Thunder .380 and Ruger SR9C as well.

testosteroneOD
09-09-2010, 11:32 AM
I like my LCP just fine. It serves its purpose. She has had no issues at all and the recoil, for me, is minimal.

jdg30
09-09-2010, 12:20 PM
I would recommend a S&W j-frame 442/642 or even a Ruger LCR for a good CCW pocket gun. I have the 442 and it is very easy to carry in the pocket. The contours of the frame and light weight make it comfortable as well. Because of this there is never a reason to leave it behind. It can fit in nearly any pocket and carries great in a holster as well.

Accuracy is very good with these guns as long as you practice and know how to properly shoot it. Some people complain about recoil but I think the complaint is overrated. I don't even think of the recoil when I shoot it because it doesn't seem any worse than other guns I shoot.

The j-frame is also a great choice because it is easy to operate and known for it's reliability. It's not going to jam or be finicky with ammo.

NSR500
09-09-2010, 1:06 PM
My LCP has been 100% thus far. I have owned it since late July and carry it everyday, even when I have my FNP45.
It has proven to be very accurate for me and I don't think the recoil is bad at all.
It's a very nice piece for lite clothing and I can even conceal it in my running shorts when I'm working out.
As for the S&W Bodyguard... It is experiencing durability problems at the moment. Many users have come forward with broken triggers after as little as 100rds.

Spanky8601
09-09-2010, 1:22 PM
My vote is with the LCP. It is easy to carry and will fit into just about any pocket without being noticed. Someone above said watch out for the 330 serial numbers. That must have been a mistype. Actually, the issue was with #s 370. Almost any out there now are 371 and above.

$P-Ritch$
09-09-2010, 1:37 PM
My vote is with the LCP. It is easy to carry and will fit into just about any pocket without being noticed. Someone above said watch out for the 330 serial numbers. That must have been a mistype. Actually, the issue was with #s 370. Almost any out there now are 371 and above.

Whoopsy, that was me. That's what i get for going off memory. At least i got two of the numbers right.
:o

valkylrie
09-09-2010, 2:35 PM
My Father owns an LCP and he is very happy with it. I think my Mother actually carries it. The LCP felt a little loose and unsubstantial for my liking. I chose a SIG P238 ( Nitron, Rosewood Grips and Night Sights) and I love it. The only thing I dislike about it is the stiff trigger; it is an 8lb pull according to the manual.

sleepercar
09-09-2010, 7:39 PM
LCP would be great for your daughter. I purchased one for my wife on her birthday. They are inexpensive and mine, just like others have mentioned, has been 100% reliable.
My wife has hands that are a bit on the smaller side and the gun itself suited her great. I ended up getting the magazine extension primarily so I could shoot it. It's definitely great for its intended use, "conversational distance" self defense as Zombie had mentioned.
As for the recoil; If I was in a situation where it was deemed necessary for me to pull the weapon and squeeze the trigger, the recoil should be the least of my worries.
The issues that plagued the LCP in the earlier days have been adressed, and once again, if you manage to acquire one that has not been, Ruger would be more than happy to do it for you and even give you something extra.
I don't think your son would care for it much, though.
Give it a try. If she doesn't like it.. I'm sure someone here in Cali would be willing to buy it for about $200 more than what you paid for it..
So I've seen time and time again. :eek:

RollingCode3
09-09-2010, 8:07 PM
LCP would be great for your daughter. I purchased one for my wife on her birthday. They are inexpensive and mine, just like others have mentioned, has been 100% reliable.
My wife has hands that are a bit on the smaller side and the gun itself suited her great. I ended up getting the magazine extension primarily so I could shoot it. It's definitely great for its intended use, "conversational distance" self defense as Zombie had mentioned.
As for the recoil; If I was in a situation where it was deemed necessary for me to pull the weapon and squeeze the trigger, the recoil should be the least of my worries.
The issues that plagued the LCP in the earlier days have been adressed, and once again, if you manage to acquire one that has not been, Ruger would be more than happy to do it for you and even give you something extra.
I don't think your son would care for it much, though.
Give it a try. If she doesn't like it.. I'm sure someone here in Cali would be willing to buy it for about $200 more than what you paid for it..
So I've seen time and time again. :eek:

+1... They are selling around $500 to $550 for a used LCP in CA. :rolleyes:. I just bought a brand new one for $290 before tax and DROS.

bigbob76
09-09-2010, 8:18 PM
I like my LCP but it's not much fun to shoot, that's for sure. My Seecamp .380 is smaller but the LCP is lighter. An LCP in the pocket beats a bigger caliber handgun you left in another room.

Roccobro
09-09-2010, 8:21 PM
The few LCP's I've bought have been more accurate than such a little gun with mediocre sights should be. I've made reloads that drop the brass at your feet- without a single FTE/FTF ever!

It will fit anywhere. Places the Bersa and J frame won't. I choose my LCP over P3AT or P32 most of the time. Great bargain for a gun in that price range.

Justin

RollingCode3
09-09-2010, 8:34 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/cadetcode3/guns/IMG_0290.jpg

sleepercar
09-09-2010, 9:49 PM
+1... They are selling around $500 to $550 for a used LCP in CA. :rolleyes:. I just bought a brand new one for $290 before tax and DROS.

When I got the wifey's, gunbroker was the score. Got it from a shop in PA for $235 before fees. Sometimes it pays to have an out of state addy. :D

FUBAR
09-09-2010, 11:24 PM
check out the walther pps

Uhhlexxxis
09-10-2010, 12:37 AM
Sounds like he can get a Sig P238..... Hands down it will blow an LCP out of the water, extremely accurate and eat to carry, it has normal 3 dot sights which are amazing. It's even enjoyable to shoot so he can get plenty of practice in. Highly recommend it!

x10000000 on this... I LOVE MY SIG P238! it has been a worth while investment as a pocket pistol.

RollingCode3
09-10-2010, 12:50 AM
x10000000 on this... I LOVE MY SIG P238! it has been a worth while investment as a pocket pistol.

I have shot the P238 before. It is a great gun if it works. The recoil from the p238 is much better than the Ruger LCP. I was going to buy the p238 until i did more research on it. :eek: Lucky I didn't and went with the Ruger LCP

Check this thread out

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/2350087222

Uhhlexxxis
09-10-2010, 1:20 AM
I have shot the P238 before. It is a great gun if it works. The recoil from the p238 is much better than the Ruger LCP. I was going to buy the p238 until i did more research on it. :eek: Lucky I didn't and went with the Ruger LCP

Check this thread out

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/2350087222

I don't let internetz scare me away from a gun I trust day in and day out. There's always going to be problems with any brand. absolutely nothing on this planet was made perfect. Except Jessica Biel.

Roccobro
09-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Well, after a female shooting buddy tried my LCP she had to have one. Was a plus that it fit her tiny little jeans pocket! lol

Justin

Canute
09-10-2010, 2:58 PM
I like mine. I'm more able to hit what I'm aiming at than I was with my J frame.

bigbob76
09-10-2010, 3:29 PM
In addition to the LCP being flat and light there is no safety to remember. If you're like me you may have several handguns with a variety of controls that don't all work the same way. It's nice to have something in your pocket where all you have to do is draw, get your booger hook on the bang switch, and go bang. One of the reasons for having a pocket pistol is convenience and it beats having something more effective that is out of reach. If I knew I was going into harms way I would have a serious sidearm and a rifle in my hands.

HCz
09-10-2010, 4:56 PM
If you don't mind adding a couple hundred dollars, you can hae your daughter get Walther PPS (It's around $600 region)

Photos from myutahccw.com
http://www.myutahccw.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/picture-2.png

It's small enough
http://www.myutahccw.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/picture-3.png

Flouncer
09-10-2010, 5:32 PM
Why not the KelTec PF9 in full 9mm ?? The original and Made in USA.

jaydog
09-10-2010, 5:48 PM
The
Ruger is just OK. I love the fact that I can throw it in my front pocket (with a holster) when I walk the dog. No need to "get all dressed up." That being said, if you are looking for a .380, I LOVE the Sig P238s. It is a night and day difference.

brianm767
09-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

I agree with lots of the advise given, but the bottom line is for a pocket pistol for my son, he say's he wants a reliable, inexpensive and very very small frame size, for close in self defense, he says most likely under 10feet, and yes the Sig ,Kahr and Walther's may be a step up and in a different league, but the bottom line is they are expensive when compared to the LCP, he says he would like to try to find a gun in the $300-$350 dollar range, and no he would not skimp on a guns reliability to save a bit of money, since it would be for self defense, that's why we were inquiring about the LCP quality, and actually more accurately reliability, even if the build quality is not as high as a Sig or Kahr, , but he says he would sacrifice a bit on sights, machining, etc as long as the firearm still goes bang every time the trigger is pulled, yes he and I too like the Kahr much better, if money wasn't a concern he'd definitely buy the Kahr, but for now considering his budget, he's more interested in a gun like the LCP.

As for the Bersa, J frame and many others, for my son, he says they are too big, but for my daughter, maybe they will fit the bill, she is going to go down to Impact guns and check a few out that I've recommended, I know Impact Guns as well as I are big Kahr fans, so she's going to look at a CW9 $399, Jframe $434, LCP $299 and others, but she does say she does not feel comfortable carrying a Auto without a safety, I too feel a little leery about it since I'm not used to carrying either, but when my CCW permit comes through, I will, I explained to her for folks like us, who are not used to carrying and who do not use firearms on a regular basis like my son, if we have a auto and have to use it in self defense, and it's on safety, there's a chance you would not have the time to remove the safety, or might just for get to release the safety under the stress, I will carry a J frame and also a M&P40c when my permit comes through, if after proper training she feels comfortable with a small auto, I think the LCP or a CW9 might be the ticket for her, if the size of a J frame 642 is ok with her that might be a great way to go too, we'll see what she likes.

Oh I almost forgot, any one have experience with the Diamondback .380?

precisionshooter308
09-11-2010, 3:11 PM
The thing with the LCP is that the trigger pull is verry long. This is OK with an experienced shooter like your son but not good for your daughter. I have put hundreds of rounds through an LCP and it seems like a good little gun but it moves around a lot, My PM9 has better manners, better sights and ammo is cheaper and better; all this in almost the same size package. Maybe Your son can find a local FFL that gives a Good Guy Discount so he can get what he needs a little more cheaply.

dwtt
09-11-2010, 4:11 PM
As for the Bersa, J frame and many others, for my son, he says they are too big, but for my daughter, maybe they will fit the bill, she is going to go down to Impact guns and check a few out that I've recommended, I know Impact Guns as well as I are big Kahr fans, so she's going to look at a CW9 $399, Jframe $434, LCP $299 and others, but she does say she does not feel comfortable carrying a Auto without a safety, I too feel a little leery about it since I'm not used to carrying either, but when my CCW permit comes through, I will, I explained to her for folks like us, who are not used to carrying and who do not use firearms on a regular basis like my son, if we have a auto and have to use it in self defense, and it's on safety, there's a chance you would not have the time to remove the safety, or might just for get to release the safety under the stress, I will carry a J frame and also a M&P40c when my permit comes through, if after proper training she feels comfortable with a small auto, I think the LCP or a CW9 might be the ticket for her, if the size of a J frame 642 is ok with her that might be a great way to go too, we'll see what she likes.

The question about size is important in CCW, but weight is also important. I have a Kel-tec and a Bersa and carry the Kel-tec because it's a bit lighter than the steel frame Bersa. As for carrying a gun with no external safety, I don't think your daughter should worry about it since modern striker fired guns have inherent safety features built in to prevent an AD if the gun is dropped. I don't carry concealed all the time, only when I anticipate going through a bad area, and that's because lugging around the weight of the loaded gun and spare magazine gets to be a drag when you are out doing something active like a bike ride, going shopping, or to a street faire. For work, I would think weight isn't as much a concern. However, I wouldn't know since my work place prohibits ccw at work. :)

bigbob76
09-11-2010, 4:30 PM
The thing with the LCP is that the trigger pull is verry long. This is OK with an experienced shooter like your son but not good for your daughter. I have put hundreds of rounds through an LCP and it seems like a good little gun but it moves around a lot, My PM9 has better manners, better sights and ammo is cheaper and better; all this in almost the same size package. Maybe Your son can find a local FFL that gives a Good Guy Discount so he can get what he needs a little more cheaply.

Not even close. I have both and the LCP gets lost in my pocket with a good holster. I had a pocket holster made by the same maker for my PM9 but it's not working out as a pocket pistol.

zovich
09-11-2010, 7:52 PM
go for the ruger lcp or the keltecp3at i have them both and they are great guns!!! very concealabel some times you forget you have it on you!! good luck!!!

jaydog
09-11-2010, 9:52 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

I agree with lots of the advise given, but the bottom line is for a pocket pistol for my son, he say's he wants a reliable, inexpensive and very very small frame size, for close in self defense, he says most likely under 10feet, and yes the Sig ,Kahr and Walther's may be a step up and in a different league, but the bottom line is they are expensive when compared to the LCP, he says he would like to try to find a gun in the $300-$350 dollar range, and no he would not skimp on a guns reliability to save a bit of money, since it would be for self defense, that's why we were inquiring about the LCP quality, and actually more accurately reliability, even if the build quality is not as high as a Sig or Kahr, , but he says he would sacrifice a bit on sights, machining, etc as long as the firearm still goes bang every time the trigger is pulled, yes he and I too like the Kahr much better, if money wasn't a concern he'd definitely buy the Kahr, but for now considering his budget, he's more interested in a gun like the LCP.

Well, if you decide to get the Ruger, which is a fine choice, I recommend the Desantis pocket holster. It WILL show an outline with tighter pants but this can be fixed by rolling up a few singles and placing them to make a more "squarish" outline.

brianm767
09-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Why not the KelTec PF9 in full 9mm ?? The original and Made in USA.

Why not? size is the reason
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b116/brianm767/IMG_1208-1.jpg

My son has decided to buy a LCP, any one know where one might be in stock in area between Turlock and Sacto? so far best price he's found is $299 but it has to be ordered.

I saw them in Fresno but they were $369!

Roccobro
09-16-2010, 11:17 PM
$286 is the best price in my 100 mile radius.

Justin

NSR500
09-17-2010, 2:56 AM
$300 and below are good prices for the LCP in California. Anything over $300 and you're paying a big, big, California Premium.

kermit315
09-17-2010, 8:51 AM
I have an LCP. I carry it everywhere, and due to the Florida heat and humidity, most of the time its the only gun I carry. If I know I am going somewhere less than stellar, I will put on a larger overshirt and carry the 1911, but my LCP goes everywhere, and nobody knows I have it.

That being said, mine has been nothing but reliable. I have a blackhawk pocket holster for it, and it has always worked out well.

For those worrying about the long trigger pull for his daughter, I would say this: In a truly defensive situation, with adrenaline pumping, she isnt going to notice the trigger pull, she is just going to do it. This assumes good training on her part, however, with the loss of fine motor skills, I wouldnt forsee it being a problem.

JMO.

redcliff
09-17-2010, 9:45 AM
$300 and below are good prices for the LCP in California. Anything over $300 and you're paying a big, big, California Premium.

Eh, when you add in the DROS fee and sales tax that the original purchaser paid I'd say $350 is a totally fair price for a nib or lnib LCP if you're not roster exempt.

Bryan16
09-17-2010, 12:31 PM
My son has decided to buy a LCP, any one know where one might be in stock in area between Turlock and Sacto? so far best price he's found is $299 but it has to be ordered.

I saw them in Fresno but they were $369!

Cordova Shooting Center has them for $299. LC Action has them for $339. Bullseye has them too but can range from $300-375 depending on who you talk to.

Squidward
09-17-2010, 1:03 PM
A good gun "for what it is". This meaning its a close range handgun...

What I did: 200 rounds break-in and then polish the ramp. Found ammo it likes; Hornady Critical defense. Galco pocket holster for carry and an extra mag.

Head shots all day long at 10 yards, which is farther than it will probably ever need to shoot in real life. No jams, stovepipes and no malfunctions.

FWIW and in IMHO (god, I love acronyms) a Glock 26 hides well enough to get consideration against a J frame, except for the weight. YMMV :)

brianm767
09-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Eh, when you add in the DROS fee and sales tax that the original purchaser paid I'd say $350 is a totally fair price for a nib or lnib LCP if you're not roster exempt.

I would agree, if I could find one for $350 or maybe even $400 I'd buy it in a heart beat, since I am not roster exempt, but in this post my we are looking for one for my son, who "is" roster exempt, and as far as price, the shop who will sell him one for $299 is fine, we like doing business with them, and it's a fair price, he just was hoping to find one in stock, to check it out in person before committing to buy one, preferably some where within 50 miles or so from Modesto.

ThePhantomGT
09-18-2010, 12:15 PM
... There's always going to be problems with any brand. absolutely nothing on this planet was made perfect. Except Jessica Biel.

Quoted for the truth!

thepro8
09-18-2010, 9:56 PM
i have 2 LCPs and like them.

Anchors
09-18-2010, 11:21 PM
The PF9 is too big for pocket carry, you think it isn't from pictures. But it is.
If you can carry a PF9, might as well get a G26. Back to the LCP....

I LOVE my LCP. It's the best CCW ever (when I'm in AZ, of course.)
Gun porn for your consideration.
http://i35.tinypic.com/1419xd.jpg
http://i36.tinypic.com/v78jsy.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/xf1ht.jpg
http://i36.tinypic.com/308857t.jpg

Anchors
09-18-2010, 11:24 PM
Also concerning recoil for your daughter.
My 5'3" 95 pounds girlfriend shoots it no problem.
Also my other female friend didn't have a problem with recoil.
It is snappier than the Glock, obviously. But it's manageable.

It's also pretty accurate for it's size.

JagerTroop
09-18-2010, 11:35 PM
First let me start off by saying were looking for two pistols, one will be for my son ... the other is for my daughter ... she's always been responsive to the ideal, but has never really acted on it due to funds... ...[he] (says Kahr's are out of his budget).

...inexpensive, $299 for my son, and also $299 in Utah...

So I ask, is the LCP a good firearm? neither my son or I can really afford the Kahr 380 $549, another dealer recommended the S&W Bodyguard .380, to my kid, but it was $499, for that price, if he had that much, he'd rather save another $50 and get the Kahr, and my budget for my daughter is probably only going to be $300-$400.

So if we cant afford the Kahrs, what pocket pistols do you guys recommend between the $250 and $400 dollar range? any reason not to go with a LCP?

I see a lot of concern about price :confused:

We're not talk about a $300 gun vs. a $1500 gun. You seem pretty confident in the reliability of the KelTec. You're compromising your piece of mind for a few hundred dollars. :confused:

Rather than asking, "what's the cheapest, good, reliable handgun I can get?", you should be asking, "what's the MOST RELIABLE handgun I can get?"

What's your life, and that of your son and daughter worth?

All it takes is ONE malfunction in a critical situation, and all you will ever think about is, "I shoulda spent the extra couple hundred for something that goes bang every time, without fail."

Don't cheap out when it comes to your life. That's why you're carrying in the first place, right?

brianm767
09-19-2010, 10:29 AM
I see a lot of concern about price :confused:

We're not talk about a $300 gun vs. a $1500 gun. You seem pretty confident in the reliability of the KelTec. You're compromising your piece of mind for a few hundred dollars. :confused:

Rather than asking, "what's the cheapest, good, reliable handgun I can get?", you should be asking, "what's the MOST RELIABLE handgun I can get?"

What's your life, and that of your son and daughter worth?

All it takes is ONE malfunction in a critical situation, and all you will ever think about is, "I should spent the extra couple hundred for something that goes bang every time, without fail."

Don't cheap out when it comes to your life. That's why you're carrying in the first place, right?

Wow, did you read my post??? well I guess you did, you just read into it something that was not stated. and a lot of concern about price? well that is called a budget.

Here was my original question concearning the LCP
"""So I ask, is the LCP a good firearm? neither my son or I can really afford the Kahr 380 $549, another dealer recommended the S&W Bodyguard .380, to my kid, but it was $499, for that price, if he had that much, he'd rather save another $50 and get the Kahr, and my budget for my daughter is probably only going to be $300-$400."""

And this is from my second post
???he says (my son) yes the Sig ,Kahr and Walther's may be a step up and in a different league, but the bottom line is they are expensive when compared to the LCP, he says he would like to try to find a gun in the $300-$350 dollar range, and no he would not skimp on a guns reliability to save a bit of money, since it would be for self defense, that's why we were inquiring about the LCP quality, and actually more accurately reliability, even if the build quality is not as high as a Sig or Kahr, , but he says he would sacrifice a bit on sights, machining, etc as long as the firearm still goes bang every time the trigger is pulled.

First, I never asked whats the cheapest hand gun we could get, where did you see that, I did ask about pistols in a certain price range, and never said for sure one of those would work, that's why I was asking opinions on the reliability of the LCP.

Second, you say I'm confident in the reliability of the Kel Tec?? Never once did I ask any one about a Kel Tec, or express my confidence in any pistol? especially a Kel Tec, what I asked was, is the LCP a good firearm? I'm assuming your saying I'm confident in the KelTec because the Ruger is a Copy of a Kel Tec? well I've seen both of them and the Ruger design platform may be a copy, but IMOP it's not a Kel Tec, and once again, I never expressed confidence in any pistol.

Third, never once did we say we would settle for a pistol that was not reliable due to price, if we cant find a gun that is reliable in our price range then of course we would have to save up more funds, that's the reason for the post, to inquire about the LCP, we are both fans of Kahrs, but even my son says some of his buddys have had failures either firing or cambering with their Kahrs, probably about the same amount as he's heard with other pocket firearms.

You may also notice the firearm I was going to recommend to my daughter is a S&W Airweight revolver, most likely a 642, is that also a cheap gun that you cant trust your life with in your opinion?

So Jaggertroop since you obviously don't think the LCP is reliable enough to use for carry use, And I'm not saying I do or don't, that's why I made the post, I'll ask you, what pocket pistol would you recommend for us that will go bang every time and will never have a failure?? personally I've never heard of any pistol that has never had a failure, well maybe my Colt Python, I cant ever remember it failing to fire, but you obviously had an opinion against the LCP, but didn't offer an opinion to a gun that would work for us, and especially one that in your words will go bang every time, and has never had a failure? so which gun would that be? and do you have any factual info to back up what I can only assume is your opinion that the LCP is not reliable? enough for carry?

I do see where some folks have had a few failures to feed and fire with the LCP, I also see that on just about every other gun I've ever seen, even including my favorite Kahr pistols, the question I have is this a break in issue, a ammo issue or will it be inherent with the gun over it's life time? if that was the case, then I would agree it's not reliable for carry, but there are also numerous folks who say their LCP's have been 100% reliable, I don't see any thing that leads me to think it's going to be like my cheap Jennings .22 pistol, fires once in awhile, but jams most of the time.

pullnshoot25
09-19-2010, 10:33 AM
I like some of the older guns. The PA63 is a cheap and reliable gun that is pretty lightweight.

brianm767
09-19-2010, 12:02 PM
I like some of the older guns. The PA63 is a cheap and reliable gun that is pretty lightweight.

Yes, but looking for a pocket pistol.

JagerTroop
09-19-2010, 1:26 PM
Hey Brian,

I hope you didn't take my post as angry, or condescending. Just trying to remind you of what's important ;) Many times, people (myself included) get too wrapped up with saving money, and forget the original purpose of buying the gun.

It just seemed that you put the KelTec up on a pedistal. You did reference it several times.

I know your request for my opinion was more like "Ok knowitall, what's the best gun in the whole world?:rolleyes:" and that's fine. I may have had it coming. Intensions can be misread on the interwebz :)
As to what I think; Personally, I don't care for the keltec. The trigger pull is horrendous. Also, my right thumb always seems to trip the mag release while I'm shooting. The LCP seems like a decent gun. Slim, smooth edges, decent capacity, fits good in my big mits.
I can't tell you what to get. It's a combo of: what feels good in the hand, what wears comfortably on the body, reputation for reliability, a caliber with decent power, and capacity.

Obviously, there is no perfect gun. With that said, revolvers don't have as many moving parts including the rounds that are (essentially)fixed. The downside? They're wider, sometimes heavier, they have a low capacity and reloading takes longer.

The gun that's right for me, will not necessarily work with you, your son, or daughter. I'm a big guy, so a full framed 1911 isn't really an issue (other than it pulling my pants down :p) but my go-to is a G23. 13rds of .40cal, from a gun that is damn near unstoppable, and I'm not even a Glock guy. It's the only one I own.

I hope you get what you want/need.

brianm767
09-19-2010, 2:23 PM
Hey Brian,

I hope you didn't take my post as angry, or condescending. Just trying to remind you of what's important ;) Many times, people (myself included) get too wrapped up with saving money, and forget the original purpose of buying the gun.

It just seemed that you put the KelTec up on a pedistal. You did reference it several times.

I know your request for my opinion was more like "Ok knowitall, what's the best gun in the whole world?:rolleyes:" and that's fine. I may have had it coming. Intensions can be misread on the interwebz :)
As to what I think; Personally, I don't care for the keltec. The trigger pull is horrendous. Also, my right thumb always seems to trip the mag release while I'm shooting. The LCP seems like a decent gun. Slim, smooth edges, decent capacity, fits good in my big mits.
I can't tell you what to get. It's a combo of: what feels good in the hand, what wears comfortably on the body, reputation for reliability, a caliber with decent power, and capacity.

Obviously, there is no perfect gun. With that said, revolvers don't have as many moving parts including the rounds that are (essentially)fixed. The downside? They're wider, sometimes heavier, they have a low capacity and reloading takes longer.

The gun that's right for me, will not necessarily work with you, your son, or daughter. I'm a big guy, so a full framed 1911 isn't really an issue (other than it pulling my pants down :p) but my go-to is a G23. 13rds of .40cal, from a gun that is damn near unstoppable, and I'm not even a Glock guy. It's the only one I own.

I hope you get what you want/need.

Yes when I read your post it was obvious you did not like the LCP, same as how many guys just go on post and instead of giving data or actual experiences as to why they may not like a LCP, Taurus, Glock or XD or what ever, they give a post exactly like yours, you never said the LCP was a bad firearm, just implied it was not reliable enough for carry, and that we were just looking for a cheap gun regardless of reliability, to me that insults my inelegance, like I even said in my second post, we would not skimp on reliability, that's exactly why I created the post in the first place.

I think it would have been much more beneficial if you would have just said what you did in your last post about your experiences with the LCP,, and gave some type of information to back up what you were implying, such as the gun would not be 100% reliable, Do you have some info as to why the LCP might not be reliable? if you so, I am honestly interested in hearing it.

And my original post title is as follows
Ruger LCP junk? pocket pistol questions and recommendations for son and daughter CCW
So of course I did reference the LCP ""not the Kel Tec"" several times, reason is, my post was asking if that gun was a good firearm, so of course it was referenced several times, show me where I put it up on a pedestal?? I never said any thing about the guns quality's, that's why was asking about it, to put some thing on a pedestal would be to imply it's the best , I never did that once.

And yes I was interested in your choice for a pocket pistol since you obviously thought the LCP was not reliable, rolling my eyes or not, I was curious, I'm not one who believes that just by paying more, your always getting better quality or reliability, at times you do, but at other times your just wasting your money, first and foremost a carry gun has too be reliable, we can all agree on that, but if a LCP is as reliable as a $700 dollar Kahr, and I'm not saying it is, thats why I made teh post is to ask about it, is it worth it to me to pay another $350 or so for a smoother trigger or better sights for a weapon that most likely would be pointed and shot in a defensive situation, honestly in that situation, I don't even care of the gun has sights, and I doubt if I'd say, dam I sure wish that trigger pull was a bit lighter and smoother.

I'm not a Glock guy, neither is my son, I will say it's probably one of the best guns out there, but they are not for us, and as mentioned, my son already has a XD40sc, our preference over the Glock, but often because of size, my son will not carry, that's why were looking for a pocket pistol, I'm a true believer in a .40 cal, I think the .380 is a little too small. but I'd rather my kid have a .380 or heck a .32cal for that matter than have nothing because he felt the .40 was too big to carry off duty,

I do want to hear all opinions including yours, but if some one tells me that a gun is not reliable, I would expect to see some type of information as to how they came to that conclusion , if not I just put them in the category of, as I call them "Taurus , Glock or XD haters" I know this has nothing to do with those guns, but I just love how when some one has a post about one, many people with no personal experiences at all with the brand are quick to chime in and say they are junk!! because they prefer another brand.

Well all that being said, no hard feelings, and have a wonderful day.

JagerTroop
09-19-2010, 2:52 PM
I never said that I don't like Rugers, nor did I say I didn't like the LCP. I just don't have enough experience with the LCP to fully endorse it. However, If I had to choose one of the aforementioned pocket guns, I would roll the dice on the LCP.
Ruger makes a good gun. Bottom line, people can talk all the trash they want on Ruger, but I have NEVER had a single problem with any Ruger firearm I've ever owned (currently own a P89, 10/22, SBH, and MKIII 22/45).

Again, I think there's a bit of a breakdown in perception.

If the LCP is the best gun in the price range, it's a sweet bonus that it's also the cheapest :thumbsup:

For what it's worth, I have 2 LEO friends that both carry the LCP off duty.
I would feel confident with it. In my original post, I was simply (though longwindedly) saying, don't settle. If you're at all unsure about the LCP(or any other gun, for that matter) save, sell something, borrow the money... whatever it takes to get something that gives you piece of mind. :)

Lucky Scott
09-19-2010, 3:23 PM
My daughter has shot a lot of my guns, and prefers the little .38 snubbie. It is also what I like to carry in a pocket holster. Very reliable, but only 5 rounds. Point and shoot, does not get better than that.
My wife prefers her LadySmith 9mm and it has 8 rounds, plus an extra magazine with another 8 rounds.
I have learned it is best to go to a range with a lot of handguns and let someone try out a few and pick what fits them best.

Anchors
09-19-2010, 6:06 PM
I like the LadySmiths. I don't know if I would carry one or have my girlfriend carry one, but it would be neat to have one.

luckygunner
09-19-2010, 7:13 PM
I've had nothing but great luck with my LCP.

I've shot a mixture of manufacturers and the only thing that gave it any issues was a couple of magazines that had bad springs. (they weren't Ruger Mags)

brianm767
09-22-2010, 5:40 PM
Ok how about a off list Kahr P380? found one NIB for $500 even +fees. any opinions?

Also found a NIB AMT backup .380 for $200!

Both LEO only

redcliff
09-22-2010, 9:20 PM
I think thats a good price on a Kahr P380, mine cost about $100 more than that. I always carry it or a PM9 in a pocket holster.

Having owned an AMT Back-up back in the 80's I can't recommend it, plus its substantially heavier if I recall.

brianm767
09-22-2010, 9:38 PM
I think thats a good price on a Kahr P380, mine cost about $100 more than that. I always carry it or a PM9 in a pocket holster.

Having owned an AMT Back-up back in the 80's I can't recommend it, plus its substantially heavier if I recall.

Yes the AMT being all steel is heavy, he wasn't really interested, but thought it was a great price.

speleogist
09-23-2010, 1:53 AM
I dont see the LCP on the ca doj approved hand guns list. Was it on the list at one point in time and that's how you guys got yours? I'm interested in the gun, but I don't want to try and buy it, since I dont see it on the list.

Roccobro
09-23-2010, 6:59 AM
I dont see the LCP on the ca doj approved hand guns list. Was it on the list at one point in time and that's how you guys got yours? I'm interested in the gun, but I don't want to try and buy it, since I dont see it on the list.

No its never been on the silly list. There are ways around the list. If You really want a particular gun.

Justin

brianm767
09-23-2010, 8:11 PM

As mentioned the LCP is not on the list, I may be wrong, but I believe the most common way for us regular folks is to get one is (1) a interstate intrafamily transfer, you can have a parent, child or grandparent give you one as a gift, they buy it in their home state, send it to a Cali FFL dealer and have that dealer do the proper intrafamily interstate transfer. I believe this is limited to 5 guns a year, but I think that's on the person giving you the gun, not the person receiving the gun, but I'm sure there are folks here who know for sure, please correct me if I'm wrong, oh and of course, the receiver of the gun can not be prohibited from owning a firearm and must have or get the hand gun safety card.

If you have a brother or sister who lives in a different state, they can not transfer it to you, since it has to be between parent, child or grand parent, but that same brother could transfer it to one of your parents who live in Cali, and if that parent decided they didn't want the gun, they could then transfer it to you.

(2) Also, law enforcement officers, like my son are exempt from the roster, they can have a dealer order just about any hand gun for them they want, no assault weapons or short barreled shot guns, (Taurus Judge?)

Once these guns are in the state legally, they can be bought and sold to any one who is legally able to purchase a hand gun but it has to be a face to face transfer, it can't be shipped from lets say Fresno to LA, both parties would have to meet at a dealer to do the transfer.

So lets say my son does buy a LCP or Kahr and decides he doesn't want it, he can either sale it to you or whomever, or he could do a intrafamily transfer using the Ca DOJ form to me, or his grand parents, he has no kids to give it to.

I think you can also be left one in some ones will from a different state? is that correct?

other ways?

czrami
09-23-2010, 10:05 PM
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/GUNS2/MDE/Marschal%20Grips/km4.jpg

Beautiful, reliable, and accurate enough for close range.

Might be heavier than a LCP but you get less recoil and
NO recalls.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/GUNS2/MDE/Marschal%20Grips/mdewal2.jpg

Plus, it was on NCIS last week!

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/GUNS2/MDE/DT380-banner.jpg

Rugerdaddy
09-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Anyone know where in CA (preferably Northern CA) I can find a Kahr P380 in stock? Thanks.

brianm767
09-24-2010, 5:31 PM
Anyone know where in CA (preferably Northern CA) I can find a Kahr P380 in stock? Thanks.

Civilian or LEO only model? I haven't seen any Civilian models yet.

RollingCode3
09-24-2010, 6:19 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/cadetcode3/guns/IMG_0794.jpg

Rugerdaddy
09-24-2010, 6:27 PM
Civilian or LEO only model? I haven't seen any Civilian models yet.

Model KP38233 is the CA approved model. It's on the Roster, and on Kahr's website. I found a place that would order one for me, but they said there's at least a 2-3 month wait. If anyone knows where I can get one please PM me or respond on this thread. Thanks.

Or, alternatively, I guess if a LEO is selling one I can buy any model they're selling, right?

brianm767
09-24-2010, 7:51 PM
Model KP38233 is the CA approved model. It's on the Roster, and on Kahr's website. I found a place that would order one for me, but they said there's at least a 2-3 month wait. If anyone knows where I can get one please PM me or respond on this thread. Thanks.

Or, alternatively, I guess if a LEO is selling one I can buy any model they're selling, right?

Yes you can buy an off list pistol from a LEO, or any one else who legally has one in the state, but not from a dealer, it has to be a face to face private party transfer, or in the ways mentioned in my prior post (family transfer etc..)

The Cali approved ones as far as I know haven't hit the dealers yet, I'm wondering how much they will be, since the MSRP is $733 and the equivalent LEO model minus the Cali "safe features" is only $649 MSRP, normal price on my kids he just bought was $569 at our dealer, but he knocked it down since we've bought numerous guns from him, I guess he threw us a bone, but my kid is already having buyers remorse, he says he should have bought two LCP's instead for a hundred bucks more, sounds good to me, Christmas is coming up.

Rugerdaddy
09-24-2010, 8:35 PM
... but my kid is already having buyers remorse, he says he should have bought two LCP's instead for a hundred bucks more, sounds good to me, Christmas is coming up.

If he has buyer's remorse, he can sell it to me and he'll have plenty more money for Christmas! :)

PM me if he's interested.....

JoeFaz
09-28-2010, 9:27 PM
I am an active LEO and own the LCP. Due to my current department regulations, I can not carry it without being in violation of department policy. That said, I LOVE my LCP. I've shot about 500 rounds thru it without a single problem. It is reasonably accurate for such a small gun. The sights are a little hard for my old eyes to pick up, but this is not a target or range gun. After 3 or 4 magazines thru it you want to shoot something else for a while. It is an up close and personal defense gun. It is perfect for that. There are some good .380 rounds out there right now. I use golden sabre in mine.

I have shot every kind of ammo I could find thru it. I used to have a PPK that was very picky on what you fed it. My LCP had eaten anything I've fed it.

The first series of LCP had some issues, but Ruger handled that with a recall and the newer ones have not had any issues.

Buy with confidence.

Aloha,

Ron

p.s. When I retire in March, my LCP will be my primary carry gun since my department's policy is no longer applicable. :)

Ron, I concur 100% with your assessment. I too carry it O/D. At first I thought it was too small and not enough hit. But then I realized what I got it for, CQC, and for that it is more than enough. I just put a Crimson Trace on it this afternoon and it is dead on from 5-25 yards. I'm more impressed each time I shoot it. I think that dealer was simply trying to make an extra buck by steering the original poster away from it. I don't know if mine is a "newer" one or not, got it about a year ago, and never had an issue.

xXBigJoeXx
09-29-2010, 1:08 AM
I wonder how the Ruger LCP stacks up against the new S&W Bodyguard Semi Auto....

NSR500
09-29-2010, 1:14 AM
I wonder how the Ruger LCP stacks up against the new S&W Bodyguard Semi Auto....

If the Bodyguard was reliable and durable, the Bodyguard would give the LCP a run. Currently, the first run of Bodyguards has a trigger problem.
The first batch of LCP had a recall, but all these newer ones are good to go.

benbangui
09-29-2010, 1:34 AM
i have LCP love it

Sinisternm
01-10-2015, 11:36 PM
i have an lcp and it had a few problems but i fixed it, heres how http://youtu.be/8OXexnH4eVo

Hugga Nugga
01-11-2015, 12:13 AM
If the Bodyguard was reliable and durable, the Bodyguard would give the LCP a run. Currently, the first run of Bodyguards has a trigger problem.
The first batch of LCP had a recall, but all these newer ones are good to go.

And they are priced to make it worth a second look.

http://www.woodburyoutfitters.com/smith-wesson/smith-wesson-bodyguard-380-acp-275-black-synthetic-grip-black-melonite-finish-6-rd-109381-68219

I have both and the Bodyguard feels much bigger than it is and handles more like a fuller fra me imo.

SkyHawk
01-11-2015, 12:37 AM
i have an lcp and it had a few problems but i fixed it, heres how http://youtu.be/8OXexnH4eVo

Good job reviving a 5 year old thread here :facepalm:

rideordie
01-11-2015, 5:34 AM
Good job reviving a 5 year old thread here :facepalm:

I was reading through the thread and didn't even notice the date until you said something. Hahahaha