PDA

View Full Version : Best 7.62x39mm ammo for target shooting

frankm
09-08-2010, 7:15 PM
I hear that Winchester has good groups. I also heard that Wolf sucks. Brown Bear is said to be okay. I want to set/shoot my SKS at 300 yards if possible. Any ideas on the best grouping ammo out there? Oh, I still have some old stuff marked W.Germany. Don't know if that's good or not. And some old Czechoslovakia stuff.

checkenbach
09-08-2010, 7:24 PM
Fiocchi.

toyturbo
09-08-2010, 7:41 PM
Lapua, if you can find it!

Smile
09-08-2010, 7:43 PM
Get a little of everything and see what your gun likes.

kdm
09-08-2010, 7:56 PM
What're you shooting...U.S. or Combloc? Uhhh, yeah. SKS.

My SLR has eaten nothing but Wolf...well, except for a few boxes of Brown Bear/Silver Bear. Never a misfire, FTF, FTE, nothin' but bang in 8K+ rounds.

Certainly minute-of-bad-guy accuracy. Not gonna peg ground squirrels at 100 yards. Not with my rifle, anyway. I can always count 30 holes in the target, tho.

Wolf got a reputation for sticking...as long as you don't mix brass cases with the lacquered Wolf cases, everything's OK. The lacquer left in the chamber from Wolf rounds can seize on a brass case. Good news is, it cleans out easily.

Sooooooo...in a nutshell, my vote goes to Wolf. :D

MrPlink
09-08-2010, 8:36 PM
Yugo surp is the best performing I've had out of my WASR. That's over various wolf, bear, egyptian and winchester.

Seesm
09-08-2010, 8:44 PM
the ak I just built so far shoots everything and is accurate.

frankm
09-08-2010, 8:45 PM
Being a former Marine who shot expert at one time, I consider it a personal challenge to hit the target at 300 yards. I'd really like to hit bullseyes. I read on one forum where some guy said his Winchester groups were within a couple inches while his Wolf groups were about 10 inches. I'd like to get the best ammo, then, if my groups are too big, I can blame the gun. LOL.

AndrewMendez
09-08-2010, 8:46 PM
If your not looking for accuracy, and if your shooting this caliber....your hopefully not..with that being said, shove wolf down the throat til your arms are sour from holding it. Do not waste your money on brass. If you want something more accurate, buy an AR.

frankm
09-08-2010, 9:01 PM
Nah, just want to push it to its max.

slomofo
09-08-2010, 9:14 PM
IMO....

Finnish Lapua is best for target.
Golden Tiger is best for plinking.

Be forewarned, the Finn ammo isn't that cheap though.

Edit: If you want something in between the two, I'd go for the surplus Yugo brass or even Winchester, but the Yugo is corrosive.