PDA

View Full Version : of roster handgun

MASTERLAB
09-08-2010, 7:12 PM
is it possible for a reservist in the navy to purchase an off roster hand gun

Librarian
09-08-2010, 7:26 PM
Not unless that reservist is LEO in his regular job.

No exceptions at FFLs for simple .mil. Private Party Transfer is exempt from the Roster and available to everyone legal to own any gun.

jtmkinsd
09-08-2010, 9:32 PM

Unfortunately the only thing your military ID is good for is an exemption to the HSC card and the safe handling affadavit.

Doesn't CA suck?

inbox485
09-09-2010, 6:09 PM

From my understanding:

If said reservist gets stationed outside of CA and can legally buy said off roster handgun, they can bring it back as a personal handgun importer.

Librarian
09-09-2010, 7:07 PM
From my understanding:

If said reservist gets stationed outside of CA and can legally buy said off roster handgun, they can bring it back as a personal handgun importer.

That requires Permanent Change of Station orders; an active-duty reservist would qualify for out of state residency wherever the orders placed him/her, so that state's laws would govern. But AD for training or temporary duty does NOT qualify as residency in that other state.

inbox485
09-09-2010, 7:28 PM
That requires Permanent Change of Station orders; an active-duty reservist would qualify for out of state residency wherever the orders placed him/her, so that state's laws would govern. But AD for training or temporary duty does NOT qualify as residency in that other state.

Thank you for clarifying. The residency bit was what I was referring to when I mentioned him being able to legally buy the off roster handgun.