PDA

View Full Version : Advice on my future build please!

Secret
09-08-2010, 5:57 PM
This will be my general idea for my 'go to' weapon.

BCM middy with a Adam arms retrofit pison

But i do not know what i should look at for a nice lower?

sevensix2x51
09-08-2010, 6:05 PM
why piston? just askin.. cool factor?

as far as lowers, look for the ones that are $119. i like kaiser arms lowers, so jd machine tech is what i would recommend. its just gotta hold all the other parts together, so the rollmark is not absolutely critical.....

Secret
09-08-2010, 6:11 PM
piston man... im not a big fan of cleaning much ahaha

sevensix2x51
09-08-2010, 6:21 PM
i clean my impingement rifles about every... well, er, hm... i know i cleaned them when i bought them........ maybe every few thousand rounds or so? right around tax time, i clean them... its not really a problem. if you want a piston rifle because it's cool, then im not saying youre wrong. but as far as cleaning goes, solution looking for a problem, imho...

Secret
09-08-2010, 6:25 PM
yea :/ but i cant get the lower you recommended me since im 20 :/

sevensix2x51
09-08-2010, 6:27 PM
so why did you ask about lowers? :confused:
what part of the state are you in? theres bound to be a black rifle store in your area....

Secret
09-08-2010, 6:30 PM
Oh yea defnitely, i got OC armory about 3 minutes away :)

Well impact guns is giving no warning about being 21 for the oll when the other site does

tomd1584
09-08-2010, 6:34 PM
the thought of ruining a BCM upper with an Adams arms piston conversion kit makes my stomach hurt...

sevensix2x51
09-08-2010, 6:35 PM
stripped lower, must be 21.

complete rifle, 18.

you gotta pick from the choices available, or wait it out. but just so you feel better, you dont need a piston to have a reliable rifle. just use brass cased ammo, factory fresh.

Secret
09-08-2010, 6:44 PM
dust, sand, mud. Im knew to the scares of DI though!

Josh3239
09-08-2010, 6:46 PM
Hah, yep just throw an operating rod into your AR and no sand, dust or mud on the planet will stop your AR :rolleyes:. Seriously, putting an Adams Arms retrofit kit on a BCM upper is like... well it is evil.

Secret
09-08-2010, 6:49 PM
ok ok ok ok DI it is then. with a better buffer spring, H2 buffer, enhanced extractor spring and a Crane O-ring

sound like a plan?

sevensix2x51
09-08-2010, 6:53 PM
Honestly, I just use the ones that come in the buttstock kit. Never have failures that aren't from ammo. Buy a decent carbine, run brass ammo, smile, repeat. Don't overthink it.

Secret
09-08-2010, 6:54 PM
Honestly, I just use the ones that come in the buttstock kit. Never have failures that aren't from ammo. Buy a decent carbine, run brass ammo, smile, repeat. Don't overthink it.

Alright :) You saved me alot of money so far!

sevensix2x51
09-08-2010, 7:00 PM
If you want to be the cool guy on the block, your gun shop probably has daniel defense rifles there. You'd probably like one of those...

Secret
09-08-2010, 7:02 PM
If im looking at those kind of prices i might aswell pick this up http://www.impactguns.com/store/P-415-16-BP-223-C.html

sevensix2x51
09-08-2010, 7:06 PM
Im pretty sure that dd rifles are way less than that, plus they come with sights. Sights are pretty important, at least to me. On my droid, so too lazy to find a link.

Secret
09-08-2010, 7:08 PM
alright.. i was looking at the prices directly on the site of dd

rero360
09-08-2010, 7:10 PM
I'll share with you my next upper build, you might see something you like in it:

BCM flat top upper, gas tube, charging handle, BCG, and 14.5" midlength barrel.
Larue Tactical gas block and 10" free float handguard.
Surefire muzzle brake (the barrel overlap one) to get my overall barrel length past the 16" mark, if my math is correct, I should end up with a length of 16.12"

by going with this brake, once I become able to, I will purchase the applicable suppressor to go with it, which will give me the shortest OAL of any of their set-ups.

I'll be topping it off with the ACOG that I already have.

Secret
09-08-2010, 10:38 PM
I'll share with you my next upper build, you might see something you like in it:

BCM flat top upper, gas tube, charging handle, BCG, and 14.5" midlength barrel.
Larue Tactical gas block and 10" free float handguard.
Surefire muzzle brake (the barrel overlap one) to get my overall barrel length past the 16" mark, if my math is correct, I should end up with a length of 16.12"

by going with this brake, once I become able to, I will purchase the applicable suppressor to go with it, which will give me the shortest OAL of any of their set-ups.

I'll be topping it off with the ACOG that I already have.

a suppressor?

And what made you go with the Larue gas block?

rero360
09-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Yep, I want a Surefire Suppressor, they have a very minimal and repeatable POI shift, they are some of the most durable on the market and just plain work. I've been looking at a few other companies, but I like Surefire's mounting system the best. My goal is in a few years, if CA hasn't repealed its stupid laws regarding class 3 weapons and I'm still living here, I will establish a trust in Nevada and have the suppressor be owned by the trust and be stored there, most likely in a bank's safety deposit box.

Reason I plan on going with Larue's gas block is it is small, priced reasonably, and I'm just a plain old fan of the company and their products. I looked at many others on the market and Larue's just seemed like the best choice, unless I decide on an adjustable gas block, then its back to the drawing board lol.

I figure once I am actually able to purchase the suppressor I'll be swapping out the charging handle for a gas buster one, but as the normal ones are cheap, might as use one in the mean time.

Secret
09-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Yep, I want a Surefire Suppressor, they have a very minimal and repeatable POI shift, they are some of the most durable on the market and just plain work. I've been looking at a few other companies, but I like Surefire's mounting system the best. My goal is in a few years, if CA hasn't repealed its stupid laws regarding class 3 weapons and I'm still living here, I will establish a trust in Nevada and have the suppressor be owned by the trust and be stored there, most likely in a bank's safety deposit box.

Reason I plan on going with Larue's gas block is it is small, priced reasonably, and I'm just a plain old fan of the company and their products. I looked at many others on the market and Larue's just seemed like the best choice, unless I decide on an adjustable gas block, then its back to the drawing board lol.

I figure once I am actually able to purchase the suppressor I'll be swapping out the charging handle for a gas buster one, but as the normal ones are cheap, might as use one in the mean time.

ahhh ok i get it, i get it. I guess im gunna look for some DI complete rifle such as DD. Then maybe in the future an arsenal 106

rero360
09-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Can't go wrong with a DD, they seem to be putting out some quality work. Its good to see that while they are using carbine length gas tubes with their 16" barrels, they have the proper buffers and springs installed to counter the higher gas impulse.

17+1
09-09-2010, 8:53 AM
piston man... im not a big fan of cleaning much ahaha

Neither am I. I haven't cleaned my rifle for...hmm...I can't remember, it's been quite a while though. I squirt some oil on it before I go to the range, but that's about it.

Thankfully, fouling and cleanliness issues with the AR are blown out of proportion. Gas piston is a waste of time and money, IMO.

Inventing a problem and then selling a solution; THAT'S good marketing!