PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning an AR-15 fire control group

dyst0pia
09-08-2010, 4:14 PM
I haven't been able to find any consensus on this, so maybe the answer here is "no", but is there a "proper" way to clean the fire control group (and that general area of the lower)? So far, I've just been spraying it with some Break-Free Powder Blast, and then putting in a drop of oil (M-Pro 7 LPX). Something must be wrong though, since I'm getting oil leaking out from the lower around the hammer and trigger pins, and near the selector switch. Doesn't impact the functionality of my rifle, but it does leave an unsightly blob of oil on the side of my lower that I have to wipe off every day.

What do you guys do to clean your lower?

sevensix2x51
09-08-2010, 4:16 PM
normal. i dont really clean my fcg all that much, only if i feel some grit in there. i just drop some oil in there and let it leak.

darkest2000
09-08-2010, 4:17 PM
That's what I do.

Don't need too much oil at all in the FCG. If the leaky oil bothers you, just wipe the whole receiver down with CLP and leave a thin coat on and you won't see it anymore.

DB2
09-08-2010, 4:19 PM
Oil bleeds. If you oil it, it's going to bleed out.

If you don't like the oil, then don't shoot it. Then you won't have to clean and oil it.

1911su16b870
09-08-2010, 4:51 PM
Remove upper half of the AR. Push hammer pin and trigger pins out. Drop out the hammer, disconnector and trigger with their springs. Clean away to your hearts content. Lube and re-install opposite of dissassembly! Done, minty clean and fresh AR trigger group!

destro360
09-08-2010, 5:46 PM
more oil means more dirt and filth to collect. keep it all dry except where the disconnect and trigger meet the hammer, put a drop of oil on them and a bit of grease from your finger tip where the hammer is reset while cycling. next time you clean all you'll need is a blast of compressed air and i tiny bit of oil.

Jpach
09-08-2010, 6:03 PM
I have never cleaned my FCG. My ARs still work just fine. Same with all of my other guns.

Mrskylinetou
09-08-2010, 6:47 PM
I never oil my lower at al. I wipe with clean paper towel, put just a hint of oil on the face of the hammer and I mean just a hunt and the clean my upper

Mrskylinetou
09-08-2010, 6:48 PM
Sorry. Big fingers and an iPhone means I can't type correctly. Hint not hunt

Seesm
09-08-2010, 8:50 PM
take the upper off and turn upside down and spray your favorite cleaner and when clean lightly oil and your GTG

voiceoftheright
09-08-2010, 8:56 PM
Papertowl technique just to get larger debris. Little, if any, oil is needed on the lower.

Scott Connors
09-08-2010, 9:06 PM
Compressed air also works for cleaning out the grit. I use the cans they sell at computer stores.

pipboy
09-08-2010, 9:21 PM
When it comes to cleaning that area, cotton swabs are my best friend.

joedogboy
09-08-2010, 10:08 PM
The double headed "toothbrush" from an AR cleaning kit will get out large grit, and will deliver enough oil to provide lubrication and protection without leaving a liquid residue.

NiteQwill
09-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Spray away the grit with compressed air. Or use Q-tips. Once in a blue moon, take it all out and clean it and apply light oil on the hammer spring.

That's it.

Last thing you want is dirt/grit (from oil) in your FCG.

AlliedArmory
09-08-2010, 10:25 PM
CLP and some 1-tips

metalliman545
09-08-2010, 10:59 PM
i take it apart after a few trips to the range. take it all apart wipe it all down with rag that has a few drops of clp n then reassemble lots carbon n stuff get in there. out here it gets full of dust (iraq) just seeps through the cracks.

DirtyJerz
09-09-2010, 7:26 AM
So is there any detrimental effects to the lower if you happen to spray too much oil? (besides attracting more dirt)

NiteQwill
09-09-2010, 7:50 AM
No, AFAIK.

17+1
09-09-2010, 8:00 AM
I haven't been able to find any consensus on this, so maybe the answer here is "no", but is there a "proper" way to clean the fire control group (and that general area of the lower)? So far, I've just been spraying it with some Break-Free Powder Blast, and then putting in a drop of oil (M-Pro 7 LPX). Something must be wrong though, since I'm getting oil leaking out from the lower around the hammer and trigger pins, and near the selector switch. Doesn't impact the functionality of my rifle, but it does leave an unsightly blob of oil on the side of my lower that I have to wipe off every day.

What do you guys do to clean your lower?

:kest:

Oil attracts dirt; you don't want that.

Wipe out the lower with a rag or patch every so often if it's dirty and put a drop or two on the hammer and disconnector engagement surfaces in the lower. You should only be using maximum 2-3 drops of oil to lubricate the lower.

If it's leaking out of the pins you're using way too much oil.

xxINKxx
09-09-2010, 12:51 PM
I just take the upper off and get some gun spray cleaner (break free) and spray a bunch and blast it all out. Then I hang it upside down outside to drain all the solvent out and blast it my air compressor and then wipe it off with a paper towel. Its usually pretty much dry and clean after that.

I really only do it when I notice its starting to build up over time.

technique
09-09-2010, 1:03 PM
Compressed air and a bit of solvent.

It's rare I clean it, but when I see a bunch of dirt and unburnt powder all over it..then I do.
I spray it with solvent and blast it off with compressed air. Done.

Army
09-09-2010, 3:20 PM
No need to disassemble. In fact further wear, lost parts, breakage, or wondering what part goes where is usually the result.

Rather than Q-tips, use pipe cleaners. Q-tips have a nasty tendency to lose strands hooked to hammer spring legs. Q-tips have been outlawed for cleaning by the Army, as too many have become jammed inside the carrier key. Pipe cleaner will also easily deliver enough lube to the pins without getting messy.