PDA

View Full Version : Removing Enfield Bayonet

saber
05-15-2006, 8:59 AM
Hello,

I recently purchase an Mk 4 Enfield from Big 5 during one of their recent sales. I got the rifle home, field stripped it, cleaned it, everything was great.

I then decided to put the bayonet on. They provided me with one of those nifty spike bayonets. I got it on no problem at all.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to remove it. It seems to be stuck on there really tight.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

And yes, it is my first bayonet. I didn't think it would be that hard to get it off.

Limited10
05-16-2006, 7:30 PM
On the base of the bayonet is a release button, push that in and twist the spike to the left while exerting outward pressure, However I bet your bayonet is jammed full of cosmo. I had so much grease in mine that it took a good hour cleaning it and the sheath.

Good luck

saber
05-16-2006, 10:40 PM
That totally worked. Thanks a lot.

Boomer1961
05-17-2006, 8:16 PM
That totally worked. Thanks a lot.

Don't you just love this place, just a wealth of knowledge and folks actually replying with useful info instead of saying sillly things like use the search feature on the upper right of this page.:D

saber
05-17-2006, 10:13 PM
That response totally rocked for several reasons.

1.) I was not instructed to use the search function (which I had done)
2.) It was helpful
3.) It did not bash the DOJ, BATF
4.) The words "off-list", "AR-15", "lower", or "pistol grip" were not included.

Again, thanks for the help. I was getting ready to get my hammer out.

11Z50
05-18-2006, 9:16 AM
Yes, indeed! This is the spirit of the old (pre off-list) Calguns. Happy to see it.

Limited10
05-19-2006, 8:56 AM
[QUOTE=saber]That response totally rocked for several reasons.

2.) It was helpful

Again, thanks for the help. I was getting ready to get my hammer out.

Glad to Help!
Saber,
I just took my No4. out to Redlands (Redlands conservation Shooting Range)and what a great shooting rifle. W/ no adjustment to the sight I was nailing the 200 yard steel 7 out of 10 rounds and that was with 1941 (65 year old)production Redway brass. I'm shooting their tommorrow (Sat) If you want to bring out the rifle and I have plenty of rounds if you havn't obtained any. I'm sending you a PM.

Edit: IS your SMLE a BSA/ Shirly , Fazakerley, Maltby, Or Savage and what year.

Limited

Yute
05-19-2006, 1:12 PM
That response totally rocked for several reasons.
2.) It was helpful

Haha I totally agree! Perhaps curios and relics folks are a slightly different breed of calgunner!

saber
05-19-2006, 1:18 PM
Limited,

I got my Enfield from Big 5 a couple of weeks ago when they were running a sale. The only markings I can clearly identify are the Century Import marks, which appear pretty fresh and are on the side of the receiver.

Where would I check for the original marks?

Thanks,
Chris

Limited10
05-19-2006, 4:13 PM
Chris,
Check on the left hand side of the socket (the Metal band below the receiver) If it has an M 47 than its a BSA Shirley w/ 4 digit serial. You should be able to tell by the serial number. Don't be concerned if the original serial number is electrical penciled in. It was common during war time production. You can give you serial number and x out the last two numbers. Be sure to include the letter prefix.
Limited