PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another "is this a flash hider or comp" thread

jrr
09-08-2010, 2:00 PM
Ok, I know a technical, legal opinion on whether something is a break/comp or a flash hider is hard to give (if not impossible) under CA law... but I would like to get peoples thoughts on whether the DoubleStar "hawg" compensator is a comp, as it is labeled and marketed, or if it is a flash hider under CA law.

My concern is that it would not appear to pass the "exit diameter" test for comps, in that its exit port is MUCH bigger than the bore diameter. Any thoughts?

Oh, and if anyone actually runs one of these, how do you like it?

Thanks!

ETA - here is the brake in question... unquestionably marketed as a compensator.... but.....
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=816788

HighLander51
09-08-2010, 2:52 PM
I don't know what that thing is, but it's not a compensator or flash hider. These are compensators, all based on the Miculek design. They are usually alot more expensive than simple flash hiders.

BANG BANG
09-08-2010, 2:57 PM
def would not call it a flash hider hider as there are no side cuts/slots at all

so I can't see how it can "hide" a flash signature

PEBKAC
09-08-2010, 3:03 PM
I'd be concerned that the design is very similar to the Noveske KX3 which is an FH.

Reductio
09-08-2010, 3:06 PM
I'd be concerned that the design is very similar to the Noveske KX3 which is an FH.

That was exactly my first thought... I really wouldn't dance the line with a featureless build anyhow, but that's just me.

tomd1584
09-08-2010, 3:52 PM

I agree. Yet ironically, if you've ever shot a rifle with a KX3, it doesnt hide or suppress flash for Sh*t.

NoseGoblin
09-08-2010, 3:55 PM
PWS FSC556 for the win....

darkest2000
09-08-2010, 4:25 PM
that looks more like a muzzle nut with some useless cutouts in it:rolleyes:

darkest2000
09-08-2010, 4:27 PM
def would not call it a flash hider hider as there are no side cuts/slots at all

so I can't see how it can "hide" a flash signature

There are flash "hiders" that don't have slots. Like the cone shaped ones found on many older machineguns.

OutlawDon
09-08-2010, 5:30 PM
I'd call it a flash director.

NoExpert
09-08-2010, 7:39 PM
Flash hider: works to keep the shooter from seeing the flash as to not affect the shooter's night vision, common in WWII. These do not reduce the flash signature, only direct it forward out of sight of the shooter.

Flash suppressor: typically have slots to vent escaping gasses before they can be ignited to reduce or eliminate the visible flash from the shooter or enemy. A few existed in WWII with them becoming more common in Vietnam.

Brake/compensator: redirects the escaping gasses/flash in a manner to reduce muzzle rise and/or felt recoil. Typically these do not reduce the flash signature however some makes do.

That thing looks like a flash hider.

NoseGoblin
09-08-2010, 7:46 PM
The PWS FSC556 does double duty..
You cant have a real flash hider in Cali..

It is a comp, that tested out at 46-50% recoil reduction and created enough down force to keep you right on target without muzzle rise. It re-directs the blast out of your sight picture but does not get rid of the muzzle flash.

part 1:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/16329716/A...f-Compensation

part 2:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/22829785/A...pensators-pt-2

Reductio
09-08-2010, 7:49 PM
The PWS FSC556 does double duty..
You cant have a real flash hider in Cali..

Sure you can, just not on a featureless rifle... lock the 10rd mag and you're fine.

gemini1
09-08-2010, 7:59 PM
Why would some of you suggest its a flash hider when the seller (Midway) themselves calls it a muzzle brake?

The DoubleStar HAWG Muzzle Break is a heavy-duty muzzle break. Precision machined from 1045 Steel this HAWG can take a beating. Its internal conical design directs the blast away from the shooter and 360-knurling provides for a sure grip when installing.

Dreaded Claymore
09-08-2010, 9:34 PM
Why would some of you suggest its a flash hider when the seller (Midway) themselves calls it a muzzle brake?

Because CA DOJ BOF is a little b*tch, who will not care.

Jpach
09-08-2010, 10:21 PM

IIRC the Noveske pig has a baffle/cone kind of thing in it which is the flash suppression device. This seems to just be hollow.

OP, get the Linear Levang comp.

Legasat
09-08-2010, 10:25 PM
It's whatever the manufacturer says it is....

NoExpert
09-09-2010, 5:59 AM

Cause they'll call it whatever the manufacturer calls it.

Also the description (copied from the manufacturer) is not very inspiring.

The DoubleStar HAWG Muzzle Break is a heavy-duty muzzle break. Precision machined from 1045 Steel this HAWG can take a beating. Its internal conical design directs the blast away from the shooter and 360-knurling provides for a sure grip when installing."Unless it breaks your muzzle it should be called a muzzle "brake". And why would you want a broken muzzle?

Also it says, "Its internal conical design directs the blast away from the shooter...". This is what makes it a flash hider and not a brake.

As for legalities... CA DOJ has this to say:

Flash suppressor - Any device designed, intended, or that functions to perceptibly reduce or redirect muzzle flash from
the shooter’s field of vision.

3006mv
09-09-2010, 6:32 AM
so now what? you can control your legal/illegal feature http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=829163

stix213
09-09-2010, 12:25 PM

What the manufacturer calls it is irrelevant. They could call it the Midway Toasted Bagel and nothing would change legally.

jrr
09-09-2010, 2:30 PM
What the manufacturer calls it is irrelevant. They could call it the Midway Toasted Bagel and nothing would change legally.

LOL! Thats pretty funny, and sadly its also true. That's why I didn't consider it safe to rely on the name vs the actual function of the thing. And my concern was the same as some above... it sounds a lot like a cone style flash suppressor like the Garand or M1 Carbine use.

As to why I wanted one... well, cus it would look really sweet sticking out of a rifle length Rail setup on a carbine :D. Almost like an integrally suppressed carbine look.

Hey, not everything on a range gun needs to be practical, right?

Reductio
09-09-2010, 2:32 PM
Oh, if THAT'S the reason you want it... then fake can all the way.