View Full Version : Rental Contract as second ID

09-08-2010, 12:47 AM
(to summarize the below, does a rental agreement as a second form of ID need to be notarized to be acceptable for handgun purchases?)
Correction: title should read "...as second proof of residency"
So I'm looking into making my first handgun purchase. I have a CA Driver's License, but no car registration, utility bill, or property deed in my name.

I do, however, have a signed and dated rental contract for a place I'm renting within California. Its address is included on the contract, as well as the names and signatures of both the landlord and me, with the date of signing. However, it is not notarized, and is a different address than the one on my driver's license- I would prefer not to change the address on my license as the rental will only last for a year.

Title 11, Division 5, Chapter 4, Evidence of Residency Documentation reads as follows:
b.1. "Residential lease" means either of the following:
A. A signed and dated contract by which the individual (tenant) agrees to pay a specified monetary
sum or provide other consideration for the right to occupy an abode for a specified period of time.

It mentions nothing about notarization. Would this be considered an acceptable second form of identification for handgun purchasing purposes?

My plan is to call ahead to FFL's before doing this, although it would be good to know if it's simply impossible.

Cyc Wid It
09-08-2010, 12:49 AM
I've used one of those before. Shouldn't be a problem, although some FFL's may prefer that your addresses match.

09-08-2010, 1:15 AM
Rental agreements do not have to be notarized.

Your 2nd proof of residency (regardless of your ID) needs to have your correct and current address on it.

09-08-2010, 8:37 AM
Does your drivers license match the address on the 4473?

09-08-2010, 8:48 AM
Thanks for the responses so far.

Does your drivers license match the address on the 4473?

My CDL matches the address I have used in previous transactions.
It does not, however, match the address given on the rental contract.

From what I've gathered, it seems that I can fill out the paperwork using the address on the rental contract (since I'll be living there about 70% of the time for the next year) and that the CDL address doesn't necessarily need to match. Is this correct?

09-08-2010, 9:23 AM
From what I've gathered, it seems that I can fill out the paperwork using the address on the rental contract (since I'll be living there about 70% of the time for the next year) and that the CDL address doesn't necessarily need to match. Is this correct?

Yes, you are correct.

09-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Yes, you are correct.


Ten Percent Firearms California Proof of Residency Key
Federal 4473 Requirements
If the picture ID address does not match the 4473 address, then you must obtain
• another valid, government-issued document showing the transferee’s residence address. This alternate documentation should be recorded in question 20.b., with issuing authority and type of identification presented.
1. Do not take a copy of the document. Simply write down the document issuing authority and type in 20.b.
2. It must be a government issued document. Utility bills, DMV brown change of address cards, and hunting licenses do not apply. The document should be printed or typed and not handwritten.
3. This is required for any firearm transaction either long gun or handgun.
Common examples are: CA vehicle registration, CA DMV printout, CCW, W-2s, government utilities, big game tags issued by the drawing, and lifetime hunting licenses printed by the state.
CA DROS Requirements
All handgun DROSes must be accompanied by a copy of a SECONDARY proof of residency.
• Utility Bill from within the past three months that bears on its face the individual’s name and 4473 address. Utility Bill means a statement of charges for providing service to the individual’s residence by either physical or a telemetric connection to a non-mobile, fixed antenna reception device (satellite cable).
• Residential Lease that bears the individual’s name and 4473 address and is signed and dated. You're good to go here
• Property Deed that bears the indvidual’s name and 4473 address.
• Current, Government-issued License, Permit, or Registration, other than a CA DL or CA ID (DMV Printout will not work), that has a specified expiration date or period of validity. The document must bear the individual’s name and 4473 address.
1. We must retain a copy of this document.
2. It must be valid and have an expiration date. DOUBLE CHECK THE DATES. No “Over Due Notice” warnings.
3. Make sure you can see the address for the utility provided on the bill.
4. If it is a government issued document, it can apply for both Federal 4473 and CA DROS requirements. (example: CCW, CA Vehicle Registration) If not, then you might need to satisfy both. (Example: a DMV printout would still require a utility bill.)
4473 Legal Alien and Nonimmigrant Alien Requirements
Legal Aliens and Nonimmigrant Aliens must have three consecutive months of utility bills for all transactions.
• Must provide additional documentation to establish that he or she has resided in a State continuously for at least 90 days immediately prior to the date of the sale.
• Examples of appropriate documents to establish State residency are utility bills from each of the last 3 months immediately prior to the sale or a lease agreement that demonstrates 90 days of residency immediately prior to the sale.
• A licensee may attach a copy of the documentation to ATF Form 4473, rather than record the type of documentation in questions 20.c.
• Acceptable documentation to prove 90-day contiuo0us residency must be original documentation (e.g. utility bills, current bank statements, rent receipts, mortgage payments, lease agreements, personal property tax bills, documents issued by Federal, State, or local government agencies, first-class mail issued by government agency, insurance policies, or bill with current address or major credit card bill).
• Nonimmigrant Aliens must also provide a current hunting license or permit.
1. We do not want to retain copies. Simply look at the bills and write down the type of document and three dates in 20.c or for nonimmigrant aliens 20.d.
3. These documents can apply for CA DROS or FEDERAL 4473 requirements. However, be sure to retain a copy of CA DROS Handgun requirements, but not for FEDERAL 4473 requirements.

09-08-2010, 12:08 PM
If the address on your license is NOT your current address then you must have something from a government agency which has the current address. What I ask my customers is where does the state of CA believe you reside? In other words where does DMV send your mail? Your rental contract, since it is an address different than what's on your license, is worthless as far as proof of residency. If you go to DMV online, put in a change of address, and print out the page after you submit it, that would cover both the government issued proof, and the secondary proof of residency for CA. Then you would do 4473 with the new address.