PDA

View Full Version : PPT after the fact?

gmcem50
05-14-2006, 8:36 PM
A friend of mine came over for dinner tonight and we start talking guns and I ask him why he never shoots his Mini-14 any more, and he tells me he sold it. Later in the conversation I find out that he sold it to a friend of his without going through an FFL; just cash and carry. I impressed upon him the precarious position he was now in legally and advised him to go to the guy and do a PPT before they get caught. He told me that he realized that later, and already asked the guy and the guy is refusing. Apparently the guy he sold it to is really paranoid about registering guns and won't do a PPT OR sell it back to him. What are his options at this point? I didn't know how to advise him, and it seems to me he is kinda stuck now. If he gets caught, its at least a misdemeanor right, possibly a felony for transferring a long gun without an FFL?

Maybe some of you guys out there who know the law better than me can offer up some advice. Thanks in advance if you do.

thedrickel
05-14-2006, 8:50 PM
Well, if the guy flat-out refuses to retroactively follow the law, I would threaten him with reporting it stolen. That should bring him around real quick. Just MHO

EBWhite
05-14-2006, 9:46 PM
Nah-

Don't worry about it. Long guns are not registed to anyones name, handguns are and you dont want to mess with that. Your friend made a mistake, live with it. It will not do anyone any harm.

gmcem50
05-14-2006, 9:56 PM
Nah-

Don't worry about it. Long guns are not registed to anyones name, handguns are and you dont want to mess with that. Your friend made a mistake, live with it. It will not do anyone any harm.

But his Mini-14 was DROS'ed through an FFL, so isn't it in fact registered to him?

Pthfndr
05-14-2006, 9:59 PM
But his Mini-14 was DROS'ed through an FFL, so isn't it in fact registered to him?

No. Read what EB said. There is NO regostration of long guns. The DROS means Dealer Record Of Sale. The dealer is the only one who has the buyers info. When the DROS is processed no information on a long gun is sent except for the fact that it's a long gun. No make, model, or serial number.

EBWhite
05-14-2006, 10:23 PM
No. Read what EB said. There is NO regostration of long guns. The DROS means Dealer Record Of Sale. The dealer is the only one who has the buyers info. When the DROS is processed no information on a long gun is sent except for the fact that it's a long gun. No make, model, or serial number.

Yup-

Handguns in CA are registed to a person. You type in the serial and the name comes up. If this situation was over a handgun, i would recommend the PPT after the fact.

The only record is on the 4473 form and your friend will not have any issues with the mini 14. He made a mistake, and just forget about it IMO. If he is one of those guys who is a scared sheep, then do the ppt after the fact- if not, do not worry about something that will never be an issue, then just drop it.

xenophobe
05-14-2006, 10:41 PM
The only time it may become an issue is if it gets used in a crime and is reported to the NTC and they trace it. They might call you, they might send you a letter, they may do nothing.

Rumpled
05-14-2006, 11:42 PM
If he's really worried, DOJ has a no longer in possession form on the website.
This might be a good use of one.

saki302
05-15-2006, 2:57 AM
Have him keep the info of the guy he sold it to. If it ever comes back to haunt him, kindly provide the information for the police to follow.
The NLIP form might be a good idea as well, but I bet they just toss it in the trash- the form is more commonly used to 'de-register' pistols.

-Dave

Benellishooter
05-15-2006, 4:38 AM
Thedickel, I am glad you are not my friend. Geesh.

gmcem50
05-15-2006, 8:04 AM
Thanks guys; I'll pass the info on. I knew someone here would have an answer.:)

hiperfind
04-01-2008, 8:33 AM
Sorry to revive an old old thread here;

But wouldn't the NLIP form be a bad idea as well if the DOJ is having a slow day and decides to look into the data? I mean, the PPT was illegal by violating state law. Therefore, submitting the NLIP as a sale would draw attention to the situation, no? Or would he simply want to submit the NLIP as "Lost", or "Stolen" sinc ethe seller 'doesn't exist'? It seems to me the only real good solution is to drop it, but keep your records if the NTC ever comes around, paying your 'dues' then...

Sounds iffy...

fun2none
04-01-2008, 9:14 AM
Sorry to revive an old old thread here;

But wouldn't the NLIP form be a bad idea as well if the DOJ is having a slow day and decides to look into the data? I mean, the PPT was illegal by violating state law. Therefore, submitting the NLIP as a sale would draw attention to the situation, no? Or would he simply want to submit the NLIP as "Lost", or "Stolen" sinc ethe seller 'doesn't exist'? It seems to me the only real good solution is to drop it, but keep your records if the NTC ever comes around, paying your 'dues' then...

Sounds iffy...

As was stated in the other posts, only handguns are registered. If an NLIP is filed for a long gun, there is no record in their database the specifies serial make, model, serial number, and owner information. Only a handgun and registered AW has this type of information in the database, effectively creating a state wide registration system. If you file an NLIP they might check it against database of stolen firearms.

If the seller actually sold it and the buyer can prove it was a sale, although possibly illegal sale, it would be making false statement on the NLIP to indicate that it was stolen. That may have other consequences.

If it was a cash transaction and the gun was manufactured before 1/1/91, the seller might claim "oh, yeah -- that mini-14 piece of s**t, sold in '88 to friend" :D

bwiese
04-01-2008, 10:30 AM
If dude is really worried he could go 'clean the title' by selling it to FFL and rebuying it (or pawning it at an FFL pawnshop and letting it stay over 30 days).