View Full Version : Bushmaster M17S?

gun toting monkeyboy
09-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Does anybody know anything aboout them? I couldn't find them on the AW list. Would they be able to use a regular bullet button? It looks like an AR mag release button. They seem to be selling for around $500-600 on gunbroker.

09-07-2010, 10:21 PM
They have to be on the list. I had to register mine. I'll look it up.

gun toting monkeyboy
09-07-2010, 10:31 PM
The only thing I found on the list was the bushmaster assault rifle. Could they be on one of the later lists? I was looking at the original. Also, do you know if it uses the same magazine release as an AR? Would a BB fit on it?

09-07-2010, 10:43 PM
M17s is an OLL

09-07-2010, 10:53 PM
looks like they missed it . they didnt get the daewoo dr200 either.

09-07-2010, 10:53 PM
The only thing I found on the list was the bushmaster assault rifle. Could they be on one of the later lists? I was looking at the original.

Nope you are right, Its not on there. They missed it...lol

I believe the button is the same size. I dont remember. it was close to 30" so as long as its 30" and over it is not a AW.

They made 3 types.
1 with a flash hider
1 without a flash hider
1 with a extension on the mag well.

I seem to remember being able to buy a short barrel sleeve that allows you to mount a flash hider on one that came without it. I think the mag well extension stopped the use of 30rd magazines. it was limited to 20 rd mags.

If you can get the seller to modify it and clear it with an FFL go for it. Talk to the FFL first.

One thing on the M17s...they get HOT...very HOT. The BUIS sucks. the cheek weld sucks...and it gets HOT...did i mention the weapon gets HOT..so hot after a few magazine dumps if your face touches the firearm it will burn you BAD. After 6 magazine dumps i had to put it down. i could no longer hold it.

I then insolated the whole upper, extended the BUIS, installed a cheap red dot. I then tried to do some magazine dumps. i could hold it, but still couldnt get my face near the firearm to look down the optic...it was very very HOT.

09-07-2010, 11:03 PM
handled one at targetmaster in milpitas right before the ban. im so glad i built my bushmaster AR instead. having my face so close to the chamber scares me . if a bullpup were to malfunction im sure it would kill you or severly ruin your face. atleast with ar and traditional type weapons the chamber is a little more forward.

09-07-2010, 11:06 PM
from what i remeber it uses the same parts as the ar. it seems to have a left side mag release as well- it would have to get removed before the bullet button could work.

09-08-2010, 5:49 AM
I used to own one- I sold it and picked up another AR and a FAL in 1999.

It gets HOT- I wouldn't worry about a kaboom too much as the receiver is a full length aluminum channel all the way back- if it blew, the blast would go forwards and out the ejection port.

The bad points:

It gets HOT. To hold it after a mag or two, you'd need a picatinny rail with a VFG. The forend on mine would get so hot you'd need welding gloves to hold it.

The trigger SUCKS. I mean, it makes the AUG, FS2000, etc. feel like match grade units by comparison. You can go nuts and do a roller bearing mod (I did), which makes it about as good as one of the bullpups I mentioned.

The trigger bar can bend over time- I had to adjust mine every other range trip. NOT confidence inspiring.

And if it jams, you're SOL. Even the AUG/FS2K can be cleared of a jam by taking down the weapon- the M17, not so much if the bolt gets stuck to the rear- it becomes quite hard to disssemble.

gun toting monkeyboy
09-08-2010, 6:49 AM
Oh well. So it sounds like it is legal and probably could take a bullet button, but it sucks. That would explain why they are going for so little compared to other guns on gunbroker. Drat. I guess if I want a bullpup, I can save up for an AUG clone. Does anybody know if the current AK bullpup clones Century is selling are OLLs? I know they refuse to sell to CA, but there are plenty of middlemen FFLs who could install a bullet button on it.

09-08-2010, 8:02 AM
the ak bullpup may be too short @27" . may be an "assault weapon " regardless of bullet button. you shouldnt buy anything without handling first. my friend had one ages ago . felt weird to me. I love the way amd 65 look. I saw one at the gun exchange recently , after handling it i quickly fell out of love with it. the AR platform has the best ergos out of any of the military rifles ive handled.