PDA

View Full Version : Magpul AFG on a featureless build?

coma13
09-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Is this kosher? I've tried to research the topic but it seems cloudy. I found one single photo of a featureless rifle with an AFG in the gallery and even then it ruffled a few feathers.

Any expert opinions?

ocxpirate13
09-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Past consensus has been no.

vta
09-07-2010, 11:19 PM
its an ongoing debate. some people have decided to take the chance and others are err on the side of caution. even though the AFG is designed for the thumb to ride to the side of the top of the barrel, it is possible for one to wrap the thumb under and to the other side. uncomfortable and strange, yes, but possible.

joemama
09-07-2010, 11:31 PM
its not really worth the risk. If you want a vfg you should just go with a radlock. That way you can at least turn it back a few spins and have detachable mags if you go out of state.

JJ1911
09-08-2010, 1:02 AM
I use a handstop. It works pretty much the same as the AFG, has a lower profile , and cannot be used as any sort of forward pistol grip.

MrPlink
09-08-2010, 9:26 AM
It is NOT a pistol grip. Some argue that because it can be held with a pistol like grasp it is a forward pistol grip. But holding it as such is rather akward and quite obviously not its intended use. Hence I maintain that a bi-pod is in fact more of a forward pistol grip than an AFG. Yet, who here would argue that a bi-pod is an evil feature?

Fwiw, I've been running an Afg on my featureless rifle for some time without a hitch.

Fate
09-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Hence I maintain that a bi-pod is in fact more of a forward pistol grip than an AFG. Yet, who here would argue that a bi-pod is an evil feature?

Unlike the AFG, a bipod is in the exempt category when it comes to defining "forward pistol grip." So is a KAC handstop. The AFG, because it is 1) a grip forward of the trigger and 2) is possible to attain a pistol style grasp, is on much shakier ground. Glad you haven't been popped for running one on a featureless build. I hope no one ever is, but it has the potential to go sideways and fast.

Sick Boy
09-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Yeah, much rather go with something like a Handstop than risk an AFG.

wash
09-08-2010, 10:51 AM
There is an ATF letter out there that said the Magpul AFG does not constitute a vertical forward grip on an AR pistol.

A standard VFG on a pistol would create an AOW which is a taxed and registered NFA item.

While that does not have direct bearing on how California laws will be applied, it could be compelling.

coma13
09-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Anybody have a link to said letter? I'd love to read it.

Jack_Bauer
09-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Just like the Magpul PRS; is it collapsible or adjustable? Why take the risk?

Jack_Bauer
09-08-2010, 11:41 AM

See thread here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=340271

West9319
09-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Just like the Magpul PRS; is it collapsible or adjustable? Why take the risk?

How in the world would you consider the PRS stock to be collapsible? That has got to be one of the most overly feared thing I have heard It is in no way collapsible or folding, its a fixed stock with an adjustable plate in no way shape or form "designed to make the the rifle compact or dose the actual stock it self move.

TZL
09-08-2010, 2:07 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=340271

ke6guj
09-08-2010, 2:45 PM
How in the world would you consider the PRS stock to be collapsible? That has got to be one of the most overly feared thing I have heard It is in no way collapsible or folding, its a fixed stock with an adjustable plate in no way shape or form "designed to make the the rifle compact or dose the actual stock it self move.

the law does not say "collapisble", it says "telescoping". And it can be argued that the buttpad portion of the stock does telescope in and out of the main stock body. Therefore, many people feel that it is not worth the $$$$$ to have to defend the use of that in court.

Fate
09-08-2010, 3:54 PM
While that does not have direct bearing on how California laws will be applied, it could be compelling.

Could be? You're willing to bet your freedom on a "maybe?" Especially when taking into consideration at how far CA law deviates from Federal gun laws?

The ATF letter means nada to a CA DA charging you with felony violation of California law.

jak77
09-08-2010, 4:14 PM
I wouldn't do it, hand stop seems to be a good compromise

1911su16b870
09-08-2010, 4:49 PM
Doooo eeetttt. IMO alot of the AFG = VFG is FUD...but then I'm not the one who'll do-in the splainin when da man comes...:D