PDA

View Full Version : Mac G5 question

retired
09-07-2010, 9:28 PM
I continue to forget to call the Apple store near me for this, so I'll ask here. Frequently I will get emails from relatives and friends that have an attachment, but when I try to open it, I often times only get code. Other times I can open it with no problem,but there does not appear to be any rhyme or reason to it. If it is a video, there is no problem.

These friends all have PCs, but my my son has a Toshiba lap top which is a PC and he has the same problem also.

Does anyone have an explanation for this. Please keep it dumbed down because I'm not computer literate. I feel happy being able to log onto Calguns without problems.:D

ocabj
09-07-2010, 9:54 PM
Save the attachment, then open it.

If you're trying to open it directly through your email client, it's possible the email client's helper application (whatever is set in the email client to handle the respective file type/extension) isn't the correct one for that type of file you're trying to open.

TWoods450
09-07-2010, 10:43 PM
what kind of files are they that won't open correctly? most times when this happens its because the wrong program or version of a program opens the file.

retired
09-13-2010, 11:29 AM
ocabj, I tried that and it still showed only code.

TWoods450, some are videos, some pics.

imtheomegaman
09-13-2010, 12:19 PM
What are the extensions (the letters that followe the . in the name)?

try downloading a utility called tnef's enough:
http://www.joshjacob.com/mac-development/tnef.php

then open the files through that, it may fix your problem

retired
09-13-2010, 3:29 PM
What are the extensions (the letters that followe the . in the name)?

try downloading a utility called tnef's enough:
http://www.joshjacob.com/mac-development/tnef.php

then open the files through that, it may fix your problem

23Psalm...wmv (2.7MB). You are referring to the wmv right. I put 3 dots because that is what I can see, I don't know if it is supposed to only have one as you have above.

imtheomegaman
09-13-2010, 10:18 PM
if it's not personal, pm me i'll give you my email and you can forward it to me, I'll see if i can trouble shoot it for you

madcount
09-13-2010, 11:23 PM
download flip4mac (http://www.telestream.net/flip4mac-wmv/overview.htm) that should do the trick.

retired
09-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the help; I've decided to get off my lazy you know what and just contact the Apple store in Temecula as soon as I'm able to. I am hoping they will be able to fix the problem when they see what I've been talking about.

Mssr. Eleganté
09-17-2010, 11:57 PM
23Psalm...wmv (2.7MB). You are referring to the wmv right. I put 3 dots because that is what I can see, I don't know if it is supposed to only have one as you have above.

.WMV means it is a Windows (Microsoft) Media Video file. The media player on your Mac is not set up to play Windows Media Video. Think of it as trying to play VHS tapes in your Betamax player. :) The program that madcount mentioned above, flip4mac, works with your Quicktime media player and allows it to play WMV files. I think there are other programs that will actually convert the .WMV files into .mp4 files so that you can play them in the Quicktime version you already have. But updating your Quicktime with flip4mac would be the easiest solution for you.

Librarian
09-18-2010, 7:00 AM
And Flip4Mac (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/flip4macwindowsmediacomponentsforquicktime.html) is free.

Ricky-Ray
09-18-2010, 9:00 AM

If the file name show's 23Psalm...wmv then I'm guessing it's the dots. I'm guessing it's the file name's too long. Window's allows you to have long file names but I'm guessing if your trying to view it on a Mac it may not understand the long file name and put extra dot's on there and it's screwing it up with trying to read the extension. At least that's my guess.

Try removing the extra dots on the filename so it should be something like "filename.wmv" without the quotes and see if you are able to play it.