View Full Version : AR Pistols lowers whats the rules

09-07-2010, 9:19 PM
I want to build an AR pistol. I see some manufactures sell pistol lowers marked pistol. Others I hear are not marked but still sold as pistol lower. So whats the real word. Other then buying a complete gun and changing it to what I want. What ever help you fellow CalGunners can give me would help.

09-07-2010, 11:19 PM
The problem is as I understand it, that sellers cannot sell pistol lowers in california because they are not on the roster. They must first be converted to a single shot using a block or something along those lines. At that point they can be purchased from a dealer and you can convert them back to a semi-auto.

The only other way to do it is to find someone who already has done this and do a PPT to have the ownership of the lower transferred to you.

DO NOT buy a complete gun and change it, the lower must be marked as a pistol and transferred as such.

If you are looking at out of state sellers, in many states we do not have this roster bullshiet, so all the seller has to do is mark that they are selling a pistol, rather than a long gun.

09-07-2010, 11:23 PM
you can only buy a pistol lower if its PPT (private party transfer). To buy a virgin pistol lower, you must be exempt, such being LEO, to purchase it from a dealer. The only way for a civilian (non exempt) person to buy a AR pistol is to buy it as a complete, mag-locked, single-shot pistol. many black rifle shops in CA are starting to sell them in that configuration. Check the commercial sales forum too and you will find dealers who are selling them as well. If you want to build your own, you will need to either find a stripped lower as a PPT or finish an 80% paperweight lower receiver yourself. whatever you do, do not buy a pistol upper before you legally own a pistol lower if you own ANY other AR rifle lowers. the short barreled upper must come after you already have possession of a legal pistol lower.