PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Skinny on the SA Loaded?

WILDMAN442
09-07-2010, 7:25 PM
Hey fellas,

Next year in April I plan on purchasing a 1911 of some sort. I think i have settled my self on this particular Springfield model...

http://springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=19

Just want to see what the consensus is on this model.

I plan on using it for range time, Tac Drills, and Off Duty Carry.

Also, as far as mags, what would you guys recommend?

Thanks as this is my first entry into 1911's... And I am sure it will not be the last!

Thanks fellas!

Justin

paul0660
09-07-2010, 7:34 PM
They work great I have heard, but always seem overpriced to me for a Brazilian gun.

WILDMAN442
09-07-2010, 7:39 PM
I can get it through buds for just under 700... Is that still paying too much? I didnt realize they werent made here in the good ol USA

Justin

vta
09-07-2010, 7:50 PM
I can get it through buds for just under 700... Is that still paying too much? I didnt realize they werent made here in the good ol USA

Justin

i bought mine from buds. stainless loaded. not for under 700 though. sounds like a killer deal. LE discount I assume? it will work great for what your intentions are. my groups really started to tighten up after break-in of about 300 rounds. no malfunctions of any type during break-in.

WILDMAN442
09-07-2010, 7:52 PM
Yeah through there Police supply. I was able to get my 642 boot gun for 384 shipped!

Justin

paul0660
09-07-2010, 7:55 PM
I didnt realize they werent made here in the good ol USA

Yes the 1911's are made in Brazil and the other guns in Croatia. No knock on foreign guns from me, but you should know what you are getting. Here is a bunch of info on the new SA company:

http://www.m1911.org/prodte30.htm

vta
09-07-2010, 7:57 PM
Yeah through there Police supply. I was able to get my 642 boot gun for 384 shipped!

Justin

you should definitely get it as soon as you see it in stock. they sell out of them quickly.

WILDMAN442
09-07-2010, 8:01 PM
Yes the 1911's are made in Brazil and the other guns in Croatia. No knock on foreign guns from me, but you should know what you are getting. Here is a bunch of info on the new SA company:

http://www.m1911.org/prodte30.htm

Guess they dont look too terrible then...

you should definitely get it as soon as you see it in stock. they sell out of them quickly.

Yeah I had to wait for almost 3 weeks before my 642 came in. But awesome prices they have!

Justin

vta
09-07-2010, 8:16 PM
Yes the 1911's are made in Brazil and the other guns in Croatia.

Lots of great guns these days are not from the U.S. Glocks, Sigs, CZs, Berettas, etc all originate from another country. IMBEL who makes the forged frames for Springfield have building firearms for over 70 years. Though some Springfields are forged in the U.S., they are usually the high end ones and hard to come by.

WILDMAN442
09-07-2010, 8:18 PM
Yeah I had an XD40 before and loved it. Sold it to my Sis in Law for my AR build. I told her I was going to buy it back from her someday!

But as far as reliability and features it seems like the loaded is a pretty good deal. A lot of solid features for not a lot of dough.... At least in the 1911 world!

Justin

vta
09-07-2010, 8:25 PM
Yeah I had an XD40 before and loved it. Sold it to my Sis in Law for my AR build. I told her I was going to buy it back from her someday!

But as far as reliability and features it seems like the loaded is a pretty good deal. A lot of solid features for not a lot of dough.... At least in the 1911 world!

Justin

just to give you all sides of the story, i have heard others talking about having trouble with JHP rounds with SA 1911s. I have never had that problem but I dont shoot JHP through them much. Since you are planning on carrying this, I am assuming you will feed it some kind of defense JHP ammo. Make sure you test fire lots of them before trusting your life with it.

NiteQwill
09-07-2010, 8:26 PM
It's a fine gun for the price. Goes bang, lifetime warranty.

Magazines... handsdown: Tripp Cobra Mags. Expensive but worth their price in gold.

WILDMAN442
09-07-2010, 8:33 PM
Wow... almost 50 bucks for one? I imagine they are awesome for that price.

And yes on the JHP rounds. Definitely lots of testing to make sure I can trust it.

Justin

Cyc Wid It
09-07-2010, 8:35 PM
If we could arrange a group buy for Tripp mags, the price does go down with quantity.

hoss_hk
09-07-2010, 8:50 PM
I bought the target version a month ago. I had one stovepipe with factory PMC ammo during the first time out, but now 500+ rounds and no problems since. Factory mags and CMCs have all fed factory ball with no issues. Yet to try JHP.

Do a search on this forum, or check others (m1911.org, 1911forum.com etc.) for opinions on Springfield-specific questions: mags vs. guide rod length vs. out of the box vs. customer service vs.... plenty out there. Sounds like you have several months to do your research anyway. There is a recent post from someone who got a loaded combat with only 200 rds through it and the black finish is coming off the slide already while cleaning.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=284498

NiteQwill
09-07-2010, 9:14 PM
If we could arrange a group buy for Tripp mags, the price does go down with quantity.

Well, hell yea. I only own a few but I'm sure I could own 10 more if the price is right!

;)

Interested....

Martin_B
09-07-2010, 11:57 PM
I have a Parkerized Loaded (model #px9109lp) and have had zero issues with it. I've shot everything from flat nose to jhp to round nose through it with a round count of over 1k. This is my first 1911 and couldn't be happier with the purchase. If you're picking up the loaded for that price, I would definitely be all over it. As far as mags go, I haven't had any issues with the factory 7 rounders that came with; however, I also have purchased some Wilson Combat ETM 8 rounders and have found them to function just fine.

1911Luvr
09-08-2010, 12:03 AM
They work great I have heard, but always seem overpriced to me for a Brazilian gun.

They forge their frames in Brazil, but many guns are still made in the U.S. I have a Loaded stamped from Brazil and a Loaded from the U.S.- as for quality they are both excellent. I think the Loaded model gives you the most gun for the money considering the quality of the gun and the numerous features they give you for the price. Definitely an excellent choice for a first 1911!

map
09-08-2010, 4:57 AM
I have a Loaded Champion. This one:

http://springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=8

I'm very happy with it. This one may be more carry friendly.

jaymz
09-08-2010, 5:10 AM
I have two. Buy it. You won't be disappointed. Don't buy into the "it's made in Brazil" crap. It's a good product. I've not had any issues with the Springfield mags, but I don't shoot as much as some others do. YMMV.

mjv
09-08-2010, 6:14 AM
I pick mine up from jail on Friday. This is my 1st 1911 as well and I researched it quite a bit and came to the consensus that this is one of the "best buys" for that price range. Mine was made here and not in Brazil.

cineski
09-08-2010, 6:25 AM
Springfield Loaded 1911's are okay. Nifty range guns, wouldn't use it for self defense. They're not the best, but you know that since you're paying $700 for one. They're not overly refined feeling. Sharp edges, and I'd rather buy a German 1911 over a Brazillian 1911 if there were such a thing. I would buy the Dan Wesson PM-7 if I were you. A bit more money but twice the gun and raved about by CG members. Quality parts, US made, very nice. Grab it when they get them in stock as they sure don't last long:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/407/products_id/17997

paul0660
09-08-2010, 6:50 AM
Anyone who read my previous posts with minimal care would notice I have nothing against foreign guns. What I do have something against is the current SA's usurping the Springfield name when they have nothing to do with the company that invented and produced a great share of this country's firearms. The real Springfield Armory closed its doors in 1968. The new Springfield Armory started business in 1974 and has nothing to do with the old. They make good guns.......but they aren't made here (except the highest end) and even those which are do not share the lineage that some people assume they do........just as Wildman did. I have known a dozen or more new gun owners who find out (with my help) where their new Springfield 1911 or XD was made, and many are not happy. They think they are getting a competitor to S&W, Ruger, Kimber, Glock etc. but the true comparison would have to include, Taurus, RA, and other foreign produced pistols.

So.....I do think they are a good gun that is overpriced, and marketed very successfully to people who know what the deal is with their origin and many who don't, some of whom are pissed when they discover the "truth". Again, no knock on foreign guns, that is nearly all I own. But a significant lifetime investment should be made with eyes open, and knowing where the gun is made is certainly part of that.......unless one thinks it is fine to assume one is getting a Brazil built SA 1911 to find it is marked "made in China" on the slide, simply because SA did not think to mention that manufacturing might have been moved to there........which they wouldn't......it's still a SA after all, right?

cineski
09-08-2010, 9:23 AM
They are after all, "The first name in American Firearms." :rolleyes:

Cyc Wid It
09-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Older CZ -> cast. Springfield -> forged. The best solution of course would be to buy a Colt. I recently picked up a SA and am fairly happy with it so far.

gorenut
09-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Its funny when it comes to 1911, if it isn't made in USA, its crap. With Sigs, if its made in USA, its crap.

Not my opinions, just what I've gathered from other people.

The price you mentioned is a lot better than what I saw when I was looking for a Loaded. If you like it, I say go for it. I think the extras are definitely more worth it vs buying a Springfield GI or Mil Spec.

Swoop
09-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Spend just a little more and get an Operator (MC Operator if you can find one would be my choice)

zman
09-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Its funny when it comes to 1911, if it isn't made in USA, its crap. With Sigs, if its made in USA, its crap.

LOL :43: However, it's more like this: Germany>USA>Brazil, I think.

I do have a Loaded 1911 and it says Made in USA on the frame.

1911Luvr
09-08-2010, 12:45 PM
If your budget is for the PX9154LP, then buy it and you will be very happy- I speak from experience as you can see that model is one the two Loaded models in my avatar. If you find yourself wanting an upgrade after you have shot it for awhile, send it to your gunsmith and build it up from there. You will spend less money, have a better gun, and have something more custom to your liking than if you had bought a gun at twice the price. Since you can't buy 1911 frames in CA anymore, using a Springfield forged frame pistol as a starting point will yield and excellent finished custom pistol. If you need an example, see NiteQuill's SA Operator which served as the starting point for his awesome custom 1911: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=215769
I would much prefer his finished 1911 over a Les Baer, Wilson Combat, or even a SA Professional which are double the price or more to start with.

By the way, where the gun is made has little to do with it's overall quality. The production quality of the factory, QC, and customer service after the purchase are far more important than country of origin. I have worked on Rolls Royces, pre-Ford Jaguars, Lotus and other high-end supposedly quality cars and I can tell you that a 2010 Hyundai Genesis has a much better quality control and fit than these hand-built POS cars. As is usually the case, people automatically assume quality is there because of high price or reputation. The reality is that people would rather bask in the image of owning a high-priced vehicle than admit that they spent a fortune for a vehicle that wouldn't meet the production standards of a $20,000 vehicle. The bottom line is that you should go shoot them all for yourself and make up your own mind rather than listen to opinions of people who may never have even tried one for themselves.

greybeard
09-08-2010, 2:01 PM
Back to the mag question Wilson, Chip McCormick

NiteQwill
09-08-2010, 3:03 PM
Neither. Tripp.

Or if between the two: flip a coin.

greybeard
09-08-2010, 5:32 PM
Okay educate me, what is so special about the tripp?

fsx
09-08-2010, 7:00 PM
If i'm buying a 1911, SA loaded will be the one.

NiteQwill
09-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Okay educate me, what is so special about the tripp?

#1 Winner in the 2008 American Handgunner Tactical Annual
5000+ round 1911 magazine performance test
Beat out Wilson, McCormick, Metalform, etc.
Only magazine during the test that had ZERO jams

When you compare the build and quality of Tripp magazines to others, the others look like junk.

Tripp was also name 2010 APG Pistolsmith of the Year.

You can also look at stuff written by Hilton Yam, folks on the 1911 forums, THR, 10-8 Forums, etc. that back Tripp mags.

In either case, magazines are expendable if your life depends on it. Shoot them a lot, replace them a lot.

greybeard
09-09-2010, 7:39 AM
Thanks