PDA

View Full Version : Police to destroy criminals' firearms

SemiAutoSam
05-14-2006, 5:11 PM
Long Beach PD takes another load of guns to the smelter

http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_3812330

hoffmang
05-14-2006, 7:00 PM
Your tax dollars being stolen. How much money would they make selling these at auction instead? I bet it costs them money to destroy them instead of making money for the city...

Anybody ever challenged one of these destructions on surplus or taxpayer economic grounds? Hrm...

Satex
05-14-2006, 7:06 PM
Yes, I don't get it. Why not sell them to law abiding citizens?

Charliegone
05-14-2006, 7:44 PM
Yes, I don't get it. Why not sell them to law abiding citizens?

Because they don't want you to have them. Remember that.;)

alex00
05-14-2006, 9:31 PM
Tracy Manzer
A few handguns had lattice work on the barrel that resembled a machine gun barrel. The look makes them more menacing to victims, and also helps heat dissipate off the barrel quicker, it was explained.
And since I don't know anything about guns I'll print whatever I'm told...
"These are all weapons that were in the hands of criminals," said Lt. Rich Rocchi, of the Long Beach Police Department
The vast majority of the guns being smashed into scrap metal are those turned in by the public for the purpose of being destroyed, both men said.
Well, which is it? Seized by criminals or turned in by grandma? Look everybody, scary, evil guns!!!
One 9 mm handgun was used by a teenager in an assault-with-a-deadly-weapon case.
Another firearm a high-powered rifle banned in California was taken from a man who violated his parole in a domestic-violence case.
And yet another illegal rifle a .223-caliber rifle designed more for warfare than sport was seized in a narcotics sting from a drug dealer's den.
It looks like three cases of California gun laws not quite working. She probably just forgot to mention that part.

I'm going to become a reporter, with an anti Birkenstock bias. I don't understand them, and have no idea why anyone would want them. But I do know I don't like them. Lets ban Birkenstocks based on evil features like buckles. If they don't have buckles, they aren't as easy to wear. The ones with buckles were obviously made for protesting WTO conventions. :p

It's crap like this article that convince John Q. Public that guns are bad and only criminals and militia wackos want them. Who the F--- are the Antis to tell me, and the rest of the world, my "evil" rifle has no "legitimate sporting purpose". Neither does patchouli oil, but I'm not calling for a ban... yet.

Shane916
05-14-2006, 9:48 PM
Several of the weapons had modifications all illegal that would allow for silencers or other gadgets to be added

lol..gadgets! I wasn't aware there was a large market for "gadgets" otherwise supressor/muzzle breaks?! :eek:

gloxter
05-15-2006, 5:35 PM
"Most were cheap", said Lt. Christensen. That's probably the thing that irks me the most. It's as if only law-enforcement, or the wealthy and/or politically-connected should be the only one's able to use firearms for self protection. Forget about the "economically challenged" lower-middle class being able to protect themselves from the pimps, drug dealers, thieves and gangbangers which infest their neighborhoods! Just stay the hell out of Bixby Knolls and Belmont Shore and "we'll all get along".

I had the pleasure of living in LB (for 3 years) during the riots following the King verdict(s). Roaming bands of gangbangers, looters, and malcontents were wandering the streets of Long Beach, and even burned the DMV down to the ground a mere three blocks from our home (rental). Fire apparatus were shot at responding to the various fires.

Yes, trust us, we will keep you safe. B.S.!

SemiAutoSam
05-15-2006, 6:18 PM
Ahh yes living in los angeles in the early 90's was an adventure during the riots I lived in Seal Beach And worked in Compton right smack on S Alameda St I worked for a Bonded Customs Warehouse Because of the Riots the truck drivers were Issued Colt AR15's each driver was issued 4 30 round mags 1 in the rifle and 3 on the web belt. At one time the National Guard troops were issued M16's but no ammo so to even the playing field I gave each of the 4 NG troops that were stationed outside of our 12 ft Steel gate a 30 round mag with FMJ .223 Coming to work each morning at around 5am was strange it was like driving thru a war zone there were fires everywhere buildings burning guys on their roofs with rifles. It was the most bizarre thing I have ever seen.

OK EOR

guimus
06-25-2006, 4:10 PM
Forgive me for not playing along with the evil liberal cops conspiracy theory, but I'm guessing that piles of guns such as these are destroyed rather than sold because we live in the most litigious state in the most litigious country in the world.

Considering the junk that people turn in at buybacks and the junk that gangbangers carry, they'd be lucky to average $100 per firearm at auction. How much do you think it would cost to:
1)sort through the pile to determine which ones are off aw list and on handgun list
2)pull out all of the guns with altered/defaced serials
3)run checks to make sure the guns aren't stolen and return stolen guns (much easier to melt a gun down than return it to its rightful owner.)
4)have a competent smith clean and inspect every firearm and vouch for its safety
5)process the sale of auctioned firearms
6)defend against all the lawsuits when guns go kaboom or a cheap gun has a ftf/fte/etc when it matters.

JT74
06-25-2006, 5:27 PM
I think more than anything that the guns are destroyed because to do otherwise in the State of California would be a political nightmare for any Chief of Police or Sheriff. There is the negative image that would be portrayed in the media of how the police are allowing these "same weapons that have already been used once in crimes to go back out on the streets and into the hands of criminals to be used against the community once again." There is also the numerous potential lawsuits that would have to be defended against (even if won, there would be a significant financial cost). I think that when you look at the potential cost to the department in negative pubilicity as well as financial, the most acceptable option is to destroy them. This is the unfortunate reality of the political climate in California.

Ford8N
06-25-2006, 5:27 PM
I love police gun auctions. Some of the best deals I've witnessed were at police sales. Remington 1911 $325, Marlin 60's $35 each, Winchester 1912 12 ga. $250..... I haven't seen one advertised lately, are they banned in this crappy state too?

hoffmang
06-25-2006, 5:37 PM
Like many gun oriented policy question, I have to ask why cars aren't treated the same. Don't most seized cars have missing serial numbers and huge problems? They just get auctioned off - just like guns should.

Cars kill more people every year than guns.

JT74
06-25-2006, 7:03 PM
I have to ask why cars aren't treated the same.

Because cars are not demonized like guns are in our society.

xenophobe
06-25-2006, 7:39 PM
Most of the guns police sieze and destroy are garbage... Jennings, Ravens, Rhoms, and crap shotguns, beat up hunting rifles.... most of the stuff is in the $40-$80 price range at a gun show.

All that garbage should be destroyed... anything with a value of more than $100 retail should be sold back to the public....