PDA

View Full Version : Ddddd

Foriegn power
09-07-2010, 6:59 PM
Dfff

jamesonamac
09-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Trust your Pops! I absolutely love my S&W 22Mag, although it is a 6 shot. Probably my favorite gun to shoot, and it has the best factory trigger I own. Also the most accurate of my snubbies, I can get a 4-5" pattern at 15 yards firing DA and timed. This is one of my "I'll never sell" guns. This one has about 1000 flawless rounds through it (I have never had a fail to fire with 22Mag ammo). If your dad is gonna use it for self defense, I highly recommend the CCI TNT ammo. I have done extensive testing on different 22Mag (designed for long barrels) ammo, and the TNT's work best in short barrels. (These pics shown with the TNT's) One of my good friends has the newer 7 shot ones like your looking at (351 PD I believe) and he likes it a lot also. Very light and easy to pack around. He'll want some hearing protection also, it's loud.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g201/jamesonamac/0715001452.jpghttp://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g201/jamesonamac/0715001501.jpg

God Bless The Mauser
09-07-2010, 11:57 PM
I tried a Ruger .22 mag and it was surprisingly loud, I mean really loud for something that small.

INJUNTOM
09-08-2010, 12:24 AM
Yes, they are MUCH louder. We have a Ruger single six with the LR and the Mag cylinders.

Honestly though... LR would be much more economical for fun, .38 is much better for defense.

Seems that .22 Mag would only be marginally cheaper than .38 for target shooting.

Don't get me wrong though - I really like that revolver above..

INJUNTOM
09-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Yep, arguing with pops never gets anyone anywhere :D

No doubt there's been many deaths attributed to even the .22 LR, but I can't get out of my mind the image I saw on youtube of a police officer who had shot a guy with his service gun and still had the guy attacking him...

I think if I were to use a .22 caliber for self defense, I'd want something that holds more than 6 shots. Maybe a semi-auto or even a Taurus model 94 I believe it is that's a 9 shot revolver.

But then again, who's going to mess with an old man brandishing a .22 mag revolver? :D

winnre
09-08-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm going to go to the gun store after work and look at .22 magnums now. :-)

Tanner68
09-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Gun Genie Search shows Charter Arms, S&W, NAA, Ruger, and Taurus. S&W and Taurus are the best contenders if you want one for plinking and protection. And if SA is OK, then Ruger too.

James, thanks for the tip on short barrels and TNT.

INJUNTOM
09-08-2010, 3:35 PM
Here you go: That Smith looks more tasty, but this ought to do the trick on a budget.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=189495363

http://discountgundealer.com/images/DR34095.jpg

Full Clip
09-08-2010, 3:49 PM
I think if I were to use a .22 caliber for self defense, I'd want something that holds more than 6 shots.D

Yeah, like a Kel-Tec PMR-30? (http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/pmr-30/) Thirty rounds! :cool:
Oh, wait, right... we can't be trusted with that... :confused:

Air
09-08-2010, 3:52 PM
My dad has a Single Six with the extra Magnum cylinder. I had a lot of fun with that thing when I was a kid, quite the little fireball out of the muzzle!

I like that S&W above, but the Ruger Single Six is a really cool little pistol.

orangeusa
09-08-2010, 3:58 PM
I had a Single Six (1959, 6.5") until recently. There is no round which sounds like the 22WMR (IMO). But dang, the ammo is same price as 9mm!!

So I kept putting in the 22LR cylinder. And they have different aimpoints - could be because of the different pressures and I never was able to master the grip..

Check out Single Sixes - they can be quite inexpensive.... I sold mine because I got so tired of load 6 (slowly), shoot like Clint Eastwood for 6, and then eject 6 (slowly)... A bulk of 22LR should last forever!! :)

The S&W is the way to go, but you'll be paying almost what you can get a .357 Ruger for it...

Don't know if Ruger has a DA revolver in 22WMR.... GREAT ROUND THOUGH!

INJUNTOM
09-08-2010, 4:02 PM
My dad has a Single Six with the extra Magnum cylinder. I had a lot of fun with that thing when I was a kid, quite the little fireball out of the muzzle!

I like that S&W above, but the Ruger Single Six is a really cool little pistol.

We have one and they're great. For self defense a double action is nice - you can start the firing process on it's way out of the pocket. At my shop carry an S&W 642 .38 double action only for this reason.

1nsanity
09-08-2010, 6:21 PM
Trust your pop's insight. My father handed down his mod. 48-4 k-22 .22mrf 4inch to me. I since picked up a mod. 651 4 inch and a high standard 9 shot snub nose as a bedside piece to go with my rossi sxs coach gun for hd. .22mag wheels guns are phenomenal in both accuracy and enjoyment...

jamesonamac
09-08-2010, 8:10 PM
James, thanks for the tip on short barrels and TNT.

No prob. I do carry the gun from time to time so I wanted to get an idea of what these rounds do. I dug up some of the extracted bullets from my testing and took some pics so you could see what I was talking about. From left to right is the CCI 30g V-MAX. It lost the polymer tip, but that is about it. No deformation of the jacket or lead. Next is Remington's 30g V-MAX. It didn't even lose the tip, looks brand new except for the rifling groves. Next is the CCI 40g Green HP (solid copper). It also looks new with zero deformation. Next is the CCI 40g Maxi-Mag HP. The HP area is slightly deformed with minor jacket separation. Up next is the CCI 30g Maxi-Mag+V. It lost all but one corner of the HP area, and was the flattest on top with only minor expansion. The last one the CCI 30g Maxi-Mag TNT with beautiful open mushroom. I also tested other ammo, but it was nearly all the same and showed no detectable deformation. All was shot through my Smith (posted above) and shot into soaked phone books (yea,yea, I know) with penetration averaging 7-10 inches. I did this about a year ago but I have noticed that there are a lot more offerings from several manufacturers out, so additional testing may be in my future. After testing I found CCI ran much, much cleaner of all I tested (Winchester, Remington, CCI, and Federal) and now it it is generally all I buy now.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g201/jamesonamac/0908001949.jpg
As you expect, one of the unchanged ones show 0.220"
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g201/jamesonamac/0908001908.jpg
Here is the TNT on the micro. It shows an impressive 0.4145, nearly double.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g201/jamesonamac/0908001913.jpg

jamesonamac
09-08-2010, 8:10 PM
The winner!
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g201/jamesonamac/09080018312.jpg

russ69
09-08-2010, 11:22 PM
22 mags have some bite, nothing to be laughed at. Remember energy is 1/2 MV2 , and 22 mags have a lot of V!!!!!!!

Thanx, Russ

INJUNTOM
09-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Did the "mushroomed" ones go deeper or shallower than the others?

A recent discussion on .32 ACP led to someone surmising that there isn't enough power behind the .32 to get a mushroomed slug in far enough to hurt someone and it was suggested that one should use FMJ rounds for better penetration.

But 7" into wet phone books seems pretty good...

BayAreaShooter
09-09-2010, 12:07 AM
the only .22mag I own is a Heritage single action. It has a .22mag and a .22lr cylinder. I completely love that gun and have never had any problems with it. They are on the cheap side and if you look around you can probably get a brand new one for $175-$200. While I have had not one problem the Smith and Wesson would most likely be a much better gun. O yea the finish sucks on the heritage but it does not bother me I bought it to be a beater gun.

jamesonamac
09-09-2010, 12:08 AM
The TNT's were among the furthest penetrations. The depth was more dependent on the stated velocity of the ammo used. Everything listed at 2200 fps drove deep. I shot several rounds through 2x4's and they still penetrated 2-4" into the wet phone books. I don't recall if I shot the TNT's through the 2x4's though.

INJUNTOM
09-09-2010, 12:24 AM
The TNT's were among the furthest penetrations. The depth was more dependent on the stated velocity of the ammo used. Everything listed at 2200 fps drove deep. I shot several rounds through 2x4's and they still penetrated 2-4" into the wet phone books. I don't recall if I shot the TNT's through the 2x4's though.

Test any LR at the same time for comparison?

PEZHEAD265
09-09-2010, 6:50 AM
The Smith&Wesson is the only double action new 1 left on the roster.The other ones are single actions.

BigDogatPlay
09-09-2010, 9:44 AM
My experience with .22 Magnum is in single actions, Rugers and Colts with dual cylinders, and with a High Standard two shot derringer that was my first back up gun a long, long time ago. That derringer was exceptionally loud, but at it's effective range (contact in a fight) I figured the shot might be muffled a bit if I had to fire it.

Seeing this thread I think I may have to locate myself an S&W revolver in the magnum chambering...... :D

85FourEyedGT
09-09-2010, 11:19 AM
i really enjoy 22 mag through my marlin boltaction rifles, damn you guys, now i might need to get a revolver for it :p