PDA

View Full Version : Which is the most reliable, and or best value?

Crank1000
09-07-2010, 5:31 PM
So my sister just inherited a small militia's worth of handguns, and she is offering me basically pick of the litter (she may want to keep one or two of them though). So she sent me a list, and basically said she wanted 80% of MSRP for whatever I wanted. So my fellow experienced wheelgunners, which of the following revolvers would you choose if given the option? Btw, sorry for the formatting, it's from an Excel Doc.

Also, I should mention that all of these were purchased in the 1970s, and almost none of them have been fired, and the few that have, only saw a few rounds.

Ruger 45 Revolver (Bull Barrel) Blackhawk (BN44) Blue 4 5/8" original box & instructions, no foam
Ruger 357 Stainless Steel Bicentennial Rev blackhawk (KBN 36) Stainless Steel 6 1/2" with orig box & instructions
Ruger 45 SA Bicentennial Revolver Bull Barrel Blackhawk BN44 Blue 4 5/8" Confirmed Bicentennial, original box, no foam
Smith & Wesson 38 Stainless Revolver, 38 special model 67 Stainless Steel 4" original box
Colt 45 Single Action Army 5.5 inch Barrel p1850 Blue 5 1/2" with box and foam
Ruger 45 SA Dual Cylinder Blackhawk (Bn44) Blue 4 5/8
Colt 45 ACP Comander Blue 4 1/4" CLOTH BAG
Ruger 357 Magnum Stainless 2" Police Special (Police) Service Six Blue 2 1/2"
Ruger 45 Caliber Revolver (Bull Barrel) Blackhawk Blue 7 1/2" W/ box and extra cylinder & instructions
Colt Single Action Army 45 Caliber Army- P1850 Blue 5 1/2" w/ box and instructions
Colt 45 SAA 5.5 inch Barrel Revolver p1850 (Sing Action Army) Blue 5 1/2" W/ Box and Foam
Colt 45 SA Army 4.75 inch Barrel Army P1840 Blue 4 3/4" w/ box and foam
Colt 45 Auto Government Model, Automatic (Series '70) MK IV, Series '70 Blue 5" cloth bag, needs to go to shop for repair…sticking/may be very easy repair/lube
Smith & Wesson 357 Highway Patrolman Highway Patrolman Blue 4" no box, black leather holder

CSACANNONEER
09-07-2010, 5:36 PM
WOW. I'd be happy with any of them.

Quiet
09-07-2010, 5:39 PM

:iagree:

RTE
09-07-2010, 5:41 PM
Not sure what to say.
If she is not into guns....
She should keep the
Ruger 357 Magnum Stainless 2" Police Special
Smith & Wesson 357 Highway Patrolman

And sell you the Brother the rest at 50% of book Value.

Crank1000
09-07-2010, 5:45 PM
Not sure what to say.
If she is not into guns....
She should keep the
Ruger 357 Magnum Stainless 2" Police Special
Smith & Wesson 357 Highway Patrolman

And sell you the Brother the rest at 50% of book Value.

:eek: I'm not sure how you figured this out, but those are the exact 2 guns that she said she was thinking about keeping.

I will ask her what she would take for the lot, but I basically have nowhere near the amount of cash needed to buy them all. I am already taking a mini 14, and a winchester 94 cowboy from the list, and I can barely afford those. :D

Btw, just curious why you think she would be better off with those as opposed to selling them? Would you say they are the 2 most desirable? Or just better for female shooters?

rromeo
09-07-2010, 5:56 PM
80% of MSRP, the 1970s MSRP?

vta
09-07-2010, 5:57 PM
take all of the Smiths, Colt Single Action Armys and Colt 1911s you can. Hell, take the Rugers too. beg and borrow money to buy them if you have to. if the price is good, you will make quite a pretty penny just by reselling them.

Greg-Dawg
09-07-2010, 5:59 PM
All the Colts and Rugers.

Crank1000
09-07-2010, 6:30 PM
80% of MSRP, the 1970s MSRP?

Sorry, I should have said current value. Just that some of them are literally brand new in box, so I was thinking in terms of MSRP.

take all of the Smiths, Colt Single Action Armys and Colt 1911s you can. Hell, take the Rugers too. beg and borrow money to buy them if you have to. if the price is good, you will make quite a pretty penny just by reselling them.

Yeah, if there was a 1911 in the bunch, it would be the one. I'm not keen on making money off family though, so if I really needed ALL of them, I would go for it, but not just to resell.

Edit, I just realized the Colt 45 Govt. model is a 1911. Well, I guess I'm going to buy that too. Ok, just need to pick a wheelgun now. :D

All the Colts and Rugers.

Is that all? :D

The Original Godfather
09-07-2010, 7:01 PM
WOW...

nazgulnarsil
09-07-2010, 7:15 PM
all the colts.

Cowboy T
09-07-2010, 7:26 PM
All those guns are nice. However, if I had my pick o' the litter, the S&W .357 Highway Patrolman and the Ruger Service-Six .357 would be my first picks. The reason is that they're good self-defense guns. Heck, the Service-Six, with its short barrel, could even make a good carry gun in a state that actually respects freedom. Revolvers cannot stovepipe, and they're ultra-reliable. And yes, I would be firing lots and lots of .38 Special, and the occasional .357 Magnum, through either one of them!

redcliff
09-07-2010, 7:49 PM
Theres a .45acp Commander in there too, another 1911. Personally I would buy all the Colt's I could.

The S&W's and Rugers are nice, but I think the Colt's have greater future appreciation in value.

Crank1000
09-07-2010, 8:00 PM
Theres a .45acp Commander in there too, another 1911. Personally I would buy all the Colt's I could.

The S&W's and Rugers are nice, but I think the Colt's have greater future appreciation in value.

Yeah, I am just now starting to go through all of the guns carefully, and research what they are. I'm new to most of these models, so I didn't recognize that at first. I did read somewhere just now that the standard has something called a collet bushing that makes it slightly more accurate than the Commanders of the same era.

Also, I'm not as concerned with future value as I am with reliability since these will be shooters, not collectors.

Cyc Wid It
09-07-2010, 8:01 PM
The Commander and the Series 70 government, then the Smiths.

RTE
09-07-2010, 8:02 PM
:eek: I'm not sure how you figured this out, but those are the exact 2 guns that she said she was thinking about keeping.

Btw, just curious why you think she would be better off with those as opposed to selling them? Would you say they are the 2 most desirable? Or just better for female shooters?

What? You ask a question and then question my intelligence? :p

J/K :D

The rest are collector pieces and everyone should have a short barreled 357 and one a bit longer :)

If you can swing it....Buy them All.....Play off the >>> they are family airlooms ;)
Seriously on the price...She has no money in them (Your Family) she should make you a deal you can't refuse just to keep them in the family.

Good luck that would be a Very Nice Collection

Oldnoob
09-07-2010, 8:15 PM
So my sister just inherited a small militia's worth of handguns, and she is offering me basically pick of the litter (she may want to keep one or two of them though). So she sent me a list, and basically said she wanted 80% of MSRP for whatever I wanted. So my fellow experienced wheelgunners, which of the following revolvers would you choose if given the option? Btw, sorry for the formatting, it's from an Excel Doc.

Also, I should mention that all of these were purchased in the 1970s, and almost none of them have been fired, and the few that have, only saw a few rounds.

Ruger 45 Revolver (Bull Barrel) Blackhawk (BN44) Blue 4 5/8" original box & instructions, no foam
Ruger 357 Stainless Steel Bicentennial Rev blackhawk (KBN 36) Stainless Steel 6 1/2" with orig box & instructions
Ruger 45 SA Bicentennial Revolver Bull Barrel Blackhawk BN44 Blue 4 5/8" Confirmed Bicentennial, original box, no foam
Smith & Wesson 38 Stainless Revolver, 38 special model 67 Stainless Steel 4" original box
Ruger 45 Caliber Revolver (Bull Barrel) Blackhawk Blue 7 1/2" W/ box and extra cylinder & instructions
Colt Single Action Army 45 Caliber Army- P1850 Blue 5 1/2" w/ box and instructions
Colt 45 SAA 5.5 inch Barrel Revolver p1850 (Sing Action Army) Blue 5 1/2" W/ Box and Foam
Colt 45 Auto Government Model, Automatic (Series '70) MK IV, Series '70 Blue 5" cloth bag, needs to go to shop for repair…sticking/may be very easy repair/lube
Smith & Wesson 357 Highway Patrolman Highway Patrolman Blue 4" no box, black leather holder

There.

ilikeguns
09-07-2010, 9:09 PM
my god...

Um, the highway patrolman and... all of them! my god...

PutTogether
09-08-2010, 6:47 AM
You are nuts if you don't get the Highway Patrolman. NUTS.

Vacaville
09-08-2010, 6:54 AM
All of them are great. I'd probably take the 5.5" Colt SAA.

redhemi
09-08-2010, 8:40 AM
If your planing on using any of these as shooters and not collectors the 2 wheel guns I suggest would be the Ruger 45 SA duel cyl Blackhawk 4 5/8 and the S&W 38SP model 67. I say these 2 because they might be the least collectable. I know a 357 would be nice but your sister picked the best 2. I would suggest you research all of these firearms to see what they might be worth if you and your sisters main goal is to sell these. I know if my sister came into some guns like this I would try to buy as many as I could because it would be a nice little collection to have. Your a lucky man I hope you get what you want and at a good price oh and YES BUY THAT 1911.

Fishslayer
09-08-2010, 8:44 AM
No brainer for me. The Highway Patrolman.

Followed by any of the Colt 1911's.

Followed by any of the other Colts.

rockybalboa
09-08-2010, 9:03 AM
Wow... All my family ever passed down was some old as* clothes. haha.

If you cannot afford them all, and she wants to get rid of them, I'm sure you could find some eager people on here. I dont think I could swing it, but have some friends who are very into guns, and have money. ha.

Good luck, and I'm sure you will be happy with any/all of them!!

redcliff
09-08-2010, 9:11 AM
Yeah, I am just now starting to go through all of the guns carefully, and research what they are. I'm new to most of these models, so I didn't recognize that at first. I did read somewhere just now that the standard has something called a collet bushing that makes it slightly more accurate than the Commanders of the same era.

Also, I'm not as concerned with future value as I am with reliability since these will be shooters, not collectors.

Nothing wrong with shooting guns that hold their value better than others though :)

You cant go wrong with pre series 80 Colt 1911's. If that is a true Commander it has a LW frame and they're not easy to find, I've been looking for a good one for years at the local consignments and don't have one in .45acp. (If anyone has one they want to sell send me a pm if you're in Nor Cal)The lack of a collet bushing is a good thing; they can be fragile and no one uses them anymore.

Colt SAA's always hold their value well since many people collect them or use them in Cowboy action shooting.

I love N frame Smith's but the Highway Patrolman (Model 28) has never been my favorite as I prefer the polished blue finish on the Model 27 to it. Ymmv.

gorenut
09-08-2010, 9:18 AM
My immediate grab is the Highway Patrolman as well. I can see its a popular choice here for good reason. Everything else you grab after that is just to show off, fun, or novelty reasons.

Mr. Beretta
09-08-2010, 9:22 AM
All those guns are nice. However, if I had my pick o' the litter, the S&W .357 Highway Patrolman and the Ruger Service-Six .357 would be my first picks. The reason is that they're good self-defense guns. Heck, the Service-Six, with its short barrel, could even make a good carry gun in a state that actually respects freedom. Revolvers cannot stovepipe, and they're ultra-reliable. And yes, I would be firing lots and lots of .38 Special, and the occasional .357 Magnum, through either one of them!

Couldn't agree more!

sigfan91
09-08-2010, 9:26 AM

I will ask her what she would take for the lot, but I basically have nowhere near the amount of cash needed to buy them all. I am already taking a mini 14, and a winchester 94 cowboy from the list, and I can barely afford those. :D

Leave the Mini-14.

Grab all the Colts first. Then all the Smiths. You can do without the Rugers.

Those Colts aren't the Colts of today. Those are high quality stuff built back in the days.

If you can't afford them, I'll be happy to provide a loan for a small fee, payable in the form of one of those fine firearms. :D

westcoast362
09-08-2010, 9:43 AM
If you like Colt SSA's I would get one of those, and the commander, and the S&W M-28. It's not really MSRP, because most of these are no longer made. 80% of the value on many of these would be good deal of cash.

El Gato
09-08-2010, 9:46 AM
any of the Colt SAA - but esp the larger bore ones...
but YMMV
the Colts are going to hold the value and you can always buy a glock for self defense...:D
not that a .45 colt SAA is a bad self defense choice..just slow to reload comparatively speaking...

sigfan91
09-08-2010, 10:14 AM
any of the Colt SAA - but esp the larger bore ones...
but YMMV
the Colts are going to hold the value and you can always buy a glock for self defense...:D
not that a .45 colt SAA is a bad self defense choice..just slow to reload comparatively speaking...

That's why you get 2 so you can have 12 rounds.:D

a308garand
09-08-2010, 3:11 PM

------------------------
This!

1-Smith & Wesson 357 Highway Patrolman Highway Patrolman
2-Smith & Wesson 38 Stainless Revolver, 38 special model 67 Stainless

spursnguns
09-08-2010, 3:21 PM
Keep all the Colts and all the Smiths. Trash the Rugers.

Short list....

The two Colt 1911's
The two Smiths

Then trash the Rugers.

Blood Ocean
09-08-2010, 3:47 PM
Man, you really pissed off whatever relative left them to her and not you. Should've kissed Grandma more sonny! Get all the colts, then all the magnums, everything else you can live without.

maddoggie13
09-08-2010, 3:50 PM
Holy Cow...take them all.

glockman19
09-08-2010, 3:52 PM
Congrats nice collection

olhunter
09-08-2010, 4:05 PM
Man, you really pissed off whatever relative left them to her and not you. Should've kissed Grandma more sonny!

Yeah, what's up with that? She's your sister and wants to sell them to you? Did they come from your family or somewhere else? If elsewhere, then ok I guess. Still kinda weird.

But buy them anyway! Oh, and give her the MSRP from when they were made. lol..

Crank1000
09-08-2010, 6:02 PM
I am finding out more about this inheritance now, basically it isn't exactly going to her, but her husband. It is from his side of the family. She is just doing the legwork to get them sold. I can't complain about the price since she has 3 guns that I've wanted for a long time, for less than I was planning to pay.

Andy Taylor
09-08-2010, 6:07 PM

This

Rob454
09-08-2010, 6:14 PM
I would take the following

RedFord150
09-08-2010, 6:23 PM
...Ruger 357 Magnum Stainless 2" Police Special (Police) Service Six Blue 2 1/2"

I own the Ruger Speed Six in .38 special. Stainless with 2 3/4" barrel. I think these are all cousins to the Security Six. These are totally under-rated. They will last 3 lifetimes. I would not part with mine.
I think I would skip on all the Blackhawks and focus on the Colts.
Maybe she can sell them one a month or something similar, allowing you more time to save up and buy more.
I respect you for admitting you would not try and profit from her. You might make a few bucks now, but lose her trust forever.
Congrats on a great opportunity.

smittty
09-08-2010, 6:27 PM
If it was me I'd get the Colt 45 Government. 80% of current new MSRP is a bad deal imo. She won't get that when she tries to sell them.

Regarding the revolvers, Inspect each of them and pick the best one with tight cylinder gap and no cylinder play. You didn't list a Colt Python so my next pick would be a S&W in 357 mag. I'd pass on the SA guns unless you plan is to sell them for profit.

Crank1000
09-08-2010, 6:53 PM
If it was me I'd get the Colt 45 Government. 80% of current new MSRP is a bad deal imo. She won't get that when she tries to sell them.

Regarding the revolvers, Inspect each of them and pick the best one with tight cylinder gap and no cylinder play. You didn't list a Colt Python so my next pick would be a S&W in 357 mag. I'd pass on the SA guns unless you plan is to sell them for profit.

There was a Python, but the husband is keeping that one. I guess he knew what they had. :D

Also, I meant to say 80% of blue book.

Verci0013
09-08-2010, 7:42 PM
Excuse me as I pick my jaw off the ground...

Red Devil
09-08-2010, 8:36 PM
+1 on the "Ruger 45 SA Dual Cylinder Blackhawk (Bn44) Blue 4 5/8"

If ya don't want it, ...I'll take it off your hands for 80% of what you paid for it.

(What, ...it's 2nd, ...no, ...wait, ...3rd hand..? Better make that 70%... :D)

russ69
09-08-2010, 9:59 PM
You need to get the serials on all the Colt SAAs. Some of those can be very valuable. Even some "newer" models can have high value. Even if you are not interested in those do the research so your sister doesn't just sell them for 500 bucks thinking that's a lot for a handgun.
The Colt autos also are more valuable than most of the others and are nice guns. If it was me, I'd pick the SAAs for profit and the 45 autos for my personal use.

Thanx, Russ