PDA

View Full Version : need a boresight for my Mosin

IrishPirate
09-07-2010, 4:50 PM
anyone know where I can find a boresight for my 91/30 at a good price? I need to sight it in before deer season and would rather save on ammo cost. (if anyone in the Sac/Roseville area has one I can borrow I'll buy you a 12 pack!)

Fate
09-07-2010, 5:00 PM
Go oldschool/low tech...pull out the bolt and look thru bore. Find target & fix the rifle so it won't move on you. Dial in scope.

CSACANNONEER
09-07-2010, 5:05 PM
Go oldschool/low tech...pull out the bolt and look thru bore. Find target & fix the rifle so it won't move on you. Dial in scope.

That's better than any commercial bore sighter. After that, find one of my posts explaining how to zero you gun with one shot at the distance you plan to shoot. There is no need to shot a lot of ammo to zero a scope (or irons) if you have a good rest system and know what to do.

G-forceJunkie
09-07-2010, 6:02 PM
Indeed. You should be within a foot or so with this method. Go oldschool/low tech...pull out the bolt and look thru bore. Find target & fix the rifle so it won't move on you. Dial in scope.

IrishPirate
09-07-2010, 6:09 PM
sweet, thanks gents. Guess i'll spend the money on a vice/rest rather than a boresight. CSACANNONEER, any chance you have a link to those posts or can pm me with cut/paste info? Sorry to sound so needy guys, I'm super swamped right now and have to escape to the computer for 2 minutes to keep updated on stuff. I really appreciate the help!!!!!

salazar44
09-07-2010, 7:16 PM
sweet, thanks gents. Guess i'll spend the money on a vice/rest rather than a boresight. CSACANNONEER, any chance you have a link to those posts or can pm me with cut/paste info? Sorry to sound so needy guys, I'm super swamped right now and have to escape to the computer for 2 minutes to keep updated on stuff. I really appreciate the help!!!!!

your range might rent them out. see if they have one.

xibunkrlilkidsx
09-07-2010, 8:05 PM
look through the barrela t about 25yds. shot 1 shot. adjust for center than take it out to 100yd. and you should really only have mostly vertical adjustment to be made.

Pthfndr
09-07-2010, 8:09 PM
sweet, thanks gents. Guess i'll spend the money on a vice/rest rather than a boresight.

Don't spend your money on a vise, spend it on the ammo. You won't hunt from a vise.

What kind of scope do you have on it?

sevensix2x51
09-07-2010, 8:21 PM
Don't spend your money on a vise, spend it on the ammo. You won't hunt from a vise.

^^^ this.

ive boresighted in my hallway using a bag of rice for a rest, and been on paper at 50yd. multiple times, actually.

2600fromAtari
09-07-2010, 8:52 PM
IrishPirate, I bought a bore sighter once for an AK, then threw it away. As a test, I took it in and out several times. Each time, the point of impact moved, sometimes significantly. If you so much as breathed, the red dot moved. I'm sure others have had different experiences, but that was my one and only...and last.

If you still want one, here's one of the first Google results :-P :):
http://www.handhelditems.com/sightmark-762x54-laser-boresight-free-ground-shipping-p-15007.html

IrishPirate
09-07-2010, 8:56 PM

should have said this already, sorry.....NO SCOPE! using the irons. want to take at least one deer the old fashioned way, with a very old fashioned rifle. so i need to see how accurate it is (or rather, how accurate I am with it) and I want to make sure my irons are set right. seeing as it was made in 1939, I'm gonna say there's a chance they might be off.....

CSACANNONEER
09-07-2010, 9:07 PM
Seeing that it's had 81 years for someone to properly adjust the site, It's probably fine. But you need to put some rounds through it to see exactly where it shoots and how it shoots the ammo that you are going to use. But, start by pulling the bolt and "bore sighting" it the real way.

IrishPirate
09-07-2010, 9:13 PM
I've only run 20 rounds through it myself and it seemed to not be too far off...honestly I wasn't aiming at a sighting target though so I can't be sure exactly how far off it was at 100yds...just had to watch the dirt fly and make a mental note. So when I pull the bolt and look through, how do I adjust the irons if they seem off? just by moving the rear sight slide for elevation? what about drift? is 100yds reasonable distance?

Fate
09-07-2010, 9:14 PM
Note that Mosin Nagants are sighted for 300 yard zero. At 100 yards, you will likely shoot 1' high. Solution is to use a coffee stir straw to slip over the front sight post. Trim to proper height to dial in a 100 yard zero.

Note that light ball won't shoot as high as heavy ball. Heavy ball is in the barrel longer and is more affected by muzzle rise, thus higher POI.

Drifting front sight is done with a hammer and brass punch (or buy a section of brass rod at a hobby shop and cut your own). But windage shouldn't be off as long as the witness marks on the front sight and front sight base line up.

IrishPirate
09-07-2010, 9:50 PM
so with the elevation slide fully to the rear, the rifle is set for 300yds? trying to find clarification on what the hash marks mean (mine goes 1 through 20) but i can't find anything definitive on google and the calguns search button still hates me....

G-forceJunkie
09-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Probaly meters. Pretty funny thinking about shooting it at 2000 meters :) Guess it would keep the enemys heads down if fired in volleys.

dmax11
09-07-2010, 10:19 PM
on my 91/30 i had to drift the front sight to the right slightly but not much.

first time i took it to the range i shot from 50 yds and once i knew where it was shooting on the target (it was high and right) i compensated and aimed exactly at 7:30 of the black ring on this target in the photo and this was the result

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp33/Frito_023/IMG_20100825_184114.jpg

i was using at that time MFS 174gr FMJ ammo and also tried some 180gr Winchester soft points that ended up with a very similar group

after that trip i got my hands on a 30-06 bore sight my brother bought for his Remington 7400, decided hey why not try it and it fit into my chamber but was of course too long but that did not matter it just ment i could not close the bolt on it no surprise there, to my surprise though at roughly 25 yds (width of our back yard) the bore sight showed the dot pretty much the same way the rifle shot for me a few days earlier high and to the right. we drifted the front sight with one decent tap and checked it again and it was dead on but still slightly high, so i called it a night and figured at least all i have to compensate for is height if anything.

so we went out to the range last weekend and my shoulder was too shot from the mosin from the week before so i only shot it 10 times roughly at 50 yards with some Hungarian light ball milsurp and to my surprise not only was it dead on with windage but it was also dead on with height now, i suppose the ammo had to do with the latter but i never tried to shoot it when i was the 100 yd lane because my shoulder hurt and i wanted to shoot my new SKS more anyways :)

Pthfndr
09-07-2010, 11:03 PM
should have said this already, sorry.....NO SCOPE! using the irons.

I didn't think so. That's why I asked ;)

The ONLY way to do it with the iron sights is to shoot it on paper and see where it hits and adjust the front sight. You can't bore sight iron sights with any degree of accuracy.

What ammo are you using?

Fate
09-08-2010, 8:10 AM
so with the elevation slide fully to the rear, the rifle is set for 300yds? trying to find clarification on what the hash marks mean (mine goes 1 through 20) but i can't find anything definitive on google and the calguns search button still hates me....

Probaly meters. Pretty funny thinking about shooting it at 2000 meters :) Guess it would keep the enemys heads down if fired in volleys.

Increments are supposedly meters, but the extremes of the gradations are mostly wishful thinking. This rifle was designed for WWI trench warfare and volley fire, not close range (<300m) target shooting or pinpoint accuracy.

That the MN served well as a sniper rifle thru Viet Nam and beyond is a testament to the simple, effective design. Sometimes a "good" rifle is good enough to get the job done.

God Bless The Mauser
09-08-2010, 12:44 PM
They were also sighted for use with the bayonet so the POI will be off if you don't use it. I think it's typically high right without bayonet.

Blood Ocean
09-08-2010, 3:05 PM
The sight gradings are pure propaganda, everyone knows a Russian can't hit anything past 100M.

wash
09-08-2010, 3:31 PM
Really old Mosins are calibrated for Arshins or something, an old Russian standard from before the comunist revolution.

If you're pretty close, just shoot at a better target. 7.62x54r is pretty cheap ammo.

sevensix2x51
09-08-2010, 3:47 PM
They were also sighted for use with the bayonet so the POI will be off if you don't use it. I think it's typically high right without bayonet.

i thought that was only the m44's. my 91/30's are all pt of aim at 1-200yd. :confused:

IrishPirate
09-12-2010, 12:07 PM
I was using winchester whitebox ammo.....$20 for 20 :eek:....but it was the only 54r I could find on short notice to go see how it shot. I'm sure most of my future shooting will be done with milsurp ammo, but I want to make sure that I have it sighted for JSP so i can hunt. Not sure what the usual weight is for JSP vs milsurp but I'd like to find JSP close to the same as the milsurp so that the irons will be accurate for both if i need to adjust. Then I can sight in with cheap milsurp and only use the JSP when I'm hunting. Anyone know of any good JSP 54r ammo? the only one i've been able to find at all is Brown Bear.