PDA

View Full Version : AZ 50 cal story

Longshot37
09-07-2010, 4:38 PM
So I went down to AZ this last weeked to fisit a friend and I was so excited to go for obvious reasons lol, anyways so i packed up all the guns and the 50 dtc and drove down there. When I got there first place I hit up was the local gun shop and it was heaven, they had big cardboard boxs in the middle of the store with 30rd mags for ar's and ak's for $9.99 amazing haha.
So the gun shop owner sends me to this big shooting range just north of glendale and when i got there and unpacked my guns I was told by a range officer that I could not shoot my 50 cal =(.
So I asked where i could and was told that no range in the entire pheonix area alows people to shoot 50 cal.
WTF
But ofcourse the local Cabelas had three 50 bmgs in stock to choose from
So that was my AZ/buzz kill trip =(

CSACANNONEER
09-07-2010, 4:55 PM
The anti-50 movement is strong among gun owns in all states. We (the FCSA) have members in many state who have to travel 2-8 hours to shoot their rifles. Finding a 1000 yard range to shoot them is even harder. We have had FCSA matches in Tuson. BTW, California has more FCSA members than any other state with Texas coming in a distant second.

Longshot37
09-07-2010, 5:15 PM
Thanx where in tuscon do you shoot and I am an FCSA member
and the ben avery shooting range just north of glendale has a 1000 yrd range but only for private clubs

mrkubota
09-07-2010, 6:56 PM
... we used to go out to Table Mesa, just north of Ben Avery off of the 17fwy.

Down south, there is Adair Range:
http://www.tucsonshooting.com/Area_Detail.php?g=location1144598353

and a small public range in Gila Bend.

There are sometimes some .50cal 'fun' shoots at the Buckeye range, but .50s aren't normally allowed there.

You can check out the Arizona Shooting forum for public land spots too:
http://www.arizonashooting.com/

//Ben

Longshot37
09-08-2010, 1:52 PM
thanx ben that info is going to be most helpfull

aslowdodge
09-08-2010, 2:06 PM
is 50 beowulff also considered 50 cal?

Booshanky
09-08-2010, 4:00 PM
The bullet is 50 cal, but nowhere near the same kind of energy as .50bmg or dtc. Just look at the cartridges.

CSACANNONEER
09-08-2010, 4:16 PM
Thanx where in tuscon do you shoot and I am an FCSA member
and the ben avery shooting range just north of glendale has a 1000 yrd range but only for private clubs

I haven't been there but, we has a few FCSA matches there 3 or 4 years ago. You could probably check old match sheduals in old issues of VHP and figure it out. My back issues are still pack away somewhere from my move last Dec.

pyro3k2
09-08-2010, 6:59 PM
The bullet is 50 cal, but nowhere near the same kind of energy as .50bmg or dtc. Just look at the cartridges.

+1 just wanted to add some pics to help the point.
http://www.daplane.com/50bmg/50dtc/cart_comp_00.jpg
http://www.speedcraving.com/keith/bmg-beowulf-others.jpg

safewaysecurity
09-08-2010, 7:02 PM
Grendel be sexy

nrakid88
09-08-2010, 7:09 PM
Grendel be sexy

Almost as sexy as 6.8

aslowdodge
09-08-2010, 7:15 PM

So it would be banned from these ranges as well as the 50bmg

pyro3k2
09-08-2010, 8:50 PM
So it would be banned from these ranges as well as the 50bmg

Im just guessing here, but when they say no 50's I think they are refering to the rifle rounds and not the smaller ones such as the .50 beo, 500 S&W mag, or the .50 AE

russ69
09-08-2010, 9:22 PM
This is not an anti 50 caliber movement. More likely they are just protecting their target frames and other range equipment. The 50 BMG can really tear up a range and most are just not equipped to handle it.

Thanx, Russ

CSACANNONEER
09-09-2010, 7:15 AM
This is not an anti 50 caliber movement. More likely they are just protecting their target frames and other range equipment. The 50 BMG can really tear up a range and most are just not equipped to handle it.

Thanx, Russ

This is the type of thinking that is "anti-50". The FCSA is willing to work with any range to help it become 50 friendly. 50's do not tear up target frames any more than any other caliber except for the fact that the holes are a little bigger. 50s do not tear up impact berms more either. Many people just don't have the knowledge and tend to believe FUD instead of properly researching the subject.

mooster
09-09-2010, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE=CSACANNONEER;4928024 50's do not tear up target frames any more than any other caliber except for the fact that the holes are a little bigger. 50s do not tear up impact berms more either. [/QUOTE]
+1
I've shot miniguns at Ben Avery. If they were really worried about target frames or berms they would not have allowed it. At the same time there may have been a special arrangement between that company and the range for that work.

russ69
09-09-2010, 10:23 AM
This is the type of thinking that is "anti-50". The FCSA is willing to work with any range to help it become 50 friendly.

Bull Sh_t. No, it's not. Listen, the 50 BMG became more popular in the last few decades before that it was rare to see one. It all depends on the range and the range equipment. I'll agree for most ranges it's not a problem but some ranges have a variety of mild steel targets and the 50 can really tear them up (isn't that why you own a 50?). In most cases the 50s were banned when the range suffered some damage to the targets or target carriers. Maybe it's unfair to blame the 50s instead of the shooters but that's just tough turkey. If you want to shoot something that gets a lot of attention you have to be prepared that some of it may be negative attention.

Thanx, Russ

CSACANNONEER
09-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Bull Sh_t. No, it's not. Listen, the 50 BMG became more popular in the last few decades before that it was rare to see one. It all depends on the range and the range equipment. I'll agree for most ranges it's not a problem but some ranges have a variety of mild steel targets and the 50 can really tear them up (isn't that why you own a 50?). In most cases the 50s were banned when the range suffered some damage to the targets or target carriers. Maybe it's unfair to blame the 50s instead of the shooters but that's just tough turkey. If you want to shoot something that gets a lot of attention you have to be prepared that some of it may be negative attention.

Thanx, Russ

No one is going to argue that a 50 or any magnum cartridge can damage steel targets. Every range that I know of either does not allow 50s to shoot steel or has certain steel targets approved for 50s. I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood your original post. So, you agree that almost all ranges can and should be made 50 friendly as long as they don't shoot steel. I'm with you there. Unfortunately, it's posts like your first one that only fuels the anti 50 mentality. 50's do not tear up target frames any more than any other rifle caliber except for the slightly larger hole. If the difference between a .510 hole and a .452 hole is such a big deal, then yea, 50s shouldn't be allowed. Of course, the difference between a .308 hole and a .452 hole is also substantial so, maybe 45-70s shouldn't be allowed either. The fact is that non-50 shooters like to demonize 50s but, they don't have any statistics to back up their FUD.

You also said "In most cases the 50s were banned when the range suffered some damage to the targets or target carriers." but, you don't have any facts to back that up. Most anti-50 ranges have never allowed 50s due to close minded mentalities like yours. I suggest that you either clarify that your posts are pure FUD and speculation or back up your supposed "facts" with real data. The FCSA has educated more than a few ranges that now allow 50s due to finally seeing real data in front of them instead of just fearing the unknown big bad 50. If you own or run a range, I will get you in touch with the FCSA Range Development Team and they can help you determine if your range is adequet for 50 shooting.

As far as my owning and shooting 50s goes, I shoot matches with other 50 shooters. We normally have the range to ourselves and are not looking for attention from you or anyone else. We are doing our own thing and apparently you can't handle that or you are just jealous. Either way, I feel sorry for you.

brando
09-09-2010, 1:21 PM
Makes me appreciate Angeles Ranges ;)

CSACANNONEER
09-09-2010, 2:04 PM
Makes me appreciate Angeles Ranges ;)

AMEN!

We are a lot luckier than most states. I have or know I can shoot 50s at Angeles, Piru, Burro, Desert Marksman, Coalinga, USI, The Gravel Pit (outside Chico), Lytle Creek and the list goes on. I have at least 5 ranges within an hour and a half of me where I can shoot. I have friends in other, seemingly more gun friendly states, who have to drive 4-10 hours just to plink.

russ69
09-09-2010, 5:44 PM
We are doing our own thing and apparently you can't handle that or you are just jealous. Either way, I feel sorry for you.

The word you wanted was envious, not jealous. Why exactly are you sorry for me, again?

Thanx, Russ