PDA

View Full Version : Ruger is going in for service

Rob454
09-07-2010, 3:13 PM
My little ol P85 is going in for a recall. I called Ruger today and they are sending a prepaid box to ship. They seemed very nice on the phone. Im gonna try to get them to reblue the slide and maybe the frame refinished and test fire it. lately it seems to wanna shoot left. but then again it could be my shooting. The rounds all land in a good pattern its just slightly to the left of where Im shooting. Maybe its my grip/shooting

BayAreaShooter
09-07-2010, 5:35 PM
Ruger will take care of you. There customer service is great.

SamSung
09-07-2010, 6:07 PM
My little ol P85 is going in for a recall. I called Ruger today and they are sending a prepaid box to ship. They seemed very nice on the phone. Im gonna try to get them to reblue the slide and maybe the frame refinished and test fire it. lately it seems to wanna shoot left. but then again it could be my shooting. The rounds all land in a good pattern its just slightly to the left of where Im shooting. Maybe its my grip/shooting

Recall for what cause?

audiopro74
09-07-2010, 6:14 PM
if you have any "Extra" work done to it, make sure you tell them you want all the old parts back. I lost a nice trigger job that way.

Rob454
09-07-2010, 7:27 PM
Recall for what cause?

There is a problem with the decocker. When you place it on safe I guess the firing pin doesnt move far enough and the hammer strikes it and if there is a bullet in the chamber it can do a Accidental discharge. Weird cause all P85 MKII are supposedly recalled of that problem. Apparently mine hasn't because when I called and gave the lady my serial # the lady said ooohhhhh we definitely need that one back. I guess the reblueing may cost a few bucks but it would be a good time to have it done since it will be in for repairs.

if you have any "Extra" work done to it, make sure you tell them you want all the old parts back. I lost a nice trigger job that way.

Oh yeah? My trigger on the Ruger is getting bad. not sure if its worn parts or what. but it starting to feel gritty. I guess after 20+ some odd years i cant complain too much. Who did your trigger job?

The lady said to write in a note everything I see wrong with the gun.
So Im gonna write

Call for reblueing quote
Trigger is gritty
Shooting to the left ( test fire pistol at factory)
Can the frame be refinished ( quote please)
Fix the gun recall for decocker.
ive had the gun forever and Ive shot the crap out of it. never been anything but faithful and reliable. Was the first 9mm I ever got and survived my Beretta, S&W, and Taurus 9mm guns.
Even if it costs me a 100-150$ Im ok with that. After all these years its about time for a freshening up. Im gonna ask for the old parts back anyway

ojisan
09-07-2010, 7:50 PM
Actually, it is only the original P85 that needed the recall.
The new safety you will get will be stamped MK2 on it.
The MK2 safety update is the only difference.

Rob454
09-07-2010, 7:54 PM
Actually, it is only the original P85 that needed the recall.
The new safety you will get will be stamped MK2 on it.
The MK2 safety update is the only difference.

My slide is stamped P85 MKII

gsrturboek
09-08-2010, 1:12 AM
is it just the p85 that is recalled? because i have a p89 9mm should i call them and confirm?

Rob454
09-08-2010, 4:39 AM
is it just the p85 that is recalled? because i have a p89 9mm should i call them and confirm?

There may be some case by case recalls on any gun. but yeah I would always call. They just ask for the serial # and they tell you yes or no. My buddy sent his ruger in and he got back a basically brand new gun

SamSung
09-08-2010, 9:11 AM
Might have to send my P89 too, won't go bang everytime, I'll try replacing the hammer spring today and see if that will solve the misfiring problem (light primer strike, very shallow) it's 17 years old but only 1000 rounds trough it, it's bulky compared to the 1911 but very accurate shooter.

audiopro74
09-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Rob,

When I sent them my blackhawk, cause my roommate knocked the lug that holds the extractor on, they did the work and reblued it, new internals, and a couple other things. Sent it back with no charge. Their service is tops. Bar none...

ojisan
09-08-2010, 10:57 AM
My slide is stamped P85 MKII

Strange...when I got the recall notice way back when, they said that the MK2 marked guns were not affected....they already had the improved safety.
My P85 is from the very first production run, the only thing they did to it was replace the safety with the one stamped MK2.
That was a long, long time ago...1987/8...perhaps there is now something else in the MK2 they want to look at in addition to the safety?
:confused:

ojisan
09-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Rob,

When I sent them my blackhawk, cause my roommate knocked the lug that holds the extractor on, they did the work and reblued it, new internals, and a couple other things. Sent it back with no charge. Their service is tops. Bar none...

:yes:
Years ago, a friend of mine sent his old model Blackhawk in for the transfer bar safety upgrade.
He requested all new screws at his expense as he had bought the gun used and the heads were damaged when he got it.
Ruger did the upgrade, tightened up the lockwork, replaced the screws and also completely reblued it.
It looked like a brand new gun.
They did it all at no charge!!!!!!!!!!!!
All he paid for was the shipping to them.
I can't say they will do this for you, but they sure got a lot of business from us over the years with outstanding service like this.

(The only downside to service like this is that the Blackhawk came back looking so good that my friend put it away in a box and would not shoot it anymore).

Fishslayer
09-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Ruger will take care of you. There customer service is great.

^^^ This.

Good thing, too...