PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Deal With This?

Crowesnest
09-07-2010, 1:25 PM
Okay, so I have a "friend" who's father has kindly bequeathed his collection of rifles to him. His father just moved back to Kalifornia from Arizona...God knows why. In any case, this one particular rifle that sticks out is an AR-15 Colt, labeled AR-15, along with 2 30 rounder magazines (ugh) How can he deal with this POS? He know's it's illegal, he just wants to know what else he can do with it or what the consequences of keeping them are..

mif_slim
09-07-2010, 1:29 PM
Part it! haha.. is the Colt a 18" bbl with a 1:12 twist?!

beauregard
09-07-2010, 1:30 PM
I took mine to a show in Nevada with a red FOR SALE sign taped to the stock and walked around for all of 15 minutes before it was sold.

vta
09-07-2010, 1:34 PM
consequences? it would be illegal ownership of an unregistered assault weapon. a felony.

tacticalcity
09-07-2010, 1:39 PM
My recommendation would be to remove the upper, stock, grip, and lower parts that can be removed without messing up the lower. Then go to www.Gunbroker.com and sell it there. Once it sells for a decent price, which it will since it is marked Colt, he can then buy a lower that is California legal for anywhere from $95-$150 on the same site. Install a $20 bullet button and a $20 10-Rd magazine and now he is perfectly legal.

If he can screw in a light bulb then he is capable of stripping down the rifle. There are plenty of tutorials on-line with pictures that will help. It doesn't take a genius to sell it on gunbroker or buy a legal lower on that site either.

So basically, there is no excuse. With little to no effort he could be legal. Not doing so is just plain stubbornness or laziness. Its just not worth the possible consequences.

It will be up to the prosecuting district attorney whether or not he gets charges with a felony or a misdemeanor (they now have a choice). I would not take the gamble, as both suck. Get nailed with a felony and bye, bye to all his guns for the rest of his life.

Jpach
09-07-2010, 2:36 PM
What exact model is the colt?

As for the mags, nothing can undo the importation. It is what it is. There is nothing illegal about posession or using them though (in non-fixed mag builds). Plead the 5th.

Crowesnest
09-07-2010, 3:04 PM
Part it! haha.. is the Colt a 18" bbl with a 1:12 twist?!

I'll have to check

dieselpower
09-07-2010, 3:10 PM
remove the upper.

dis-assemble the lower

wrap the lower in plastic and stick it away. Your friend and his father have already broke the law.. If they have respect for the law, then they should sell the lower outside of CA, OR turn the lower over to the Police after seeking a lawyer, OR buy a bank safety desposit box in another state and keep the lower there.

Buy a new lower.

Assemble a non-AW AR15 type rifle using a community accepted compliance device.

Forgetting the fact the father illegally transported the high capacity magazines into CA, your friend can keep them. He is doing nothing wrong. He isnt offering to sell them. He isnt manufacturing them. He didnt sell them. He can legally own them.

Even if I were to go to a store and buy a high capacity magazine, I committed no crime. They are still mine legally. At most a DA could keep them as evidence against the person who sold them..and to do that the sale must first be proven.

Tell your friend congrats on the free high cap magazines. If he ever gets pissed at his dad in the next 3 years he can get him arrested. After three years the dad can't be charged.

elSquid
09-07-2010, 3:39 PM
My recommendation would be to remove the upper, stock, grip, and lower parts that can be removed without messing up the lower. Then go to www.Gunbroker.com and sell it there. Once it sells for a decent price, which it will since it is marked Colt, he can then ...

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php

12280. (a)(1) Any person who, within this state, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, distributes, transports, or imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives or lends any assault weapon or any .50 BMG rifle, except as provided by this chapter, is guilty of a felony, and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for four, six, or eight years.

-- Michael