PDA

View Full Version : Sig 40. DAO or DAK? 226 or 229?

JohnnyCrash
09-07-2010, 11:24 AM
After a few months with my SW40VE I'm finally getting a "real gun" - a .40SW cal Sig Sauer!

My budget is around $750.

--

A few questions for those familiar with DAK Sigs:

1. Is it worth it?
2. How exactly does it feel?

I'm just a range guy, but in a case of self-defense I can understand the benefits of DAK - less trigger pull on secondary shots makes for more accuracy in theory (or with my poor skills, more ammo gone quicker HAHA!).

--

P226 or P229?

I'm leaning towards the full size P226, mainly for the longer sight radius (0.6" longer than the P229).

Anyone familiar with both have any input?

--

Right now I'm torn between a P226 DAK model that comes with only one mag -OR- a DA/SA model that comes with four mags and factory rear night sights and factory fiber optic front sight.

They're about the same price, so I guess DAK is my main deciding factor.

IDK...

9mmepiphany
09-07-2010, 12:10 PM
I happen to think the DAK systen is a great way to start out and it does take less training to become proficient with it. the ones i've handled (about 12) and shot (about 3) have triggers like a good revolver...that is a compliment...and I've seen some outstanding shooting with them during classes.

I've carried a 226 (granted in 9mm) as a duty gun and liked the way it handled, for off-duty I prefer the 229 (actually a 228) as it rides more comfortably and moves faster (more lively in the hand)

I prefer the 357SIG to the .40...but it is just a personal thing. I also don't think you gain anything with night sight dots in your rear sight, as I have found that they slow down your perception of sight alignment...the front fiber optic works very well

BTW: I like you sig line

faterikcartman
09-07-2010, 12:42 PM
For HD I would get the DAK. Despite being most comfortable with DA/SA at this point in time I"m going to send to Sigs to Sig to get the DAK conversion after hearing a great podcast on self defence shootings.

JohnnyCrash
09-07-2010, 1:51 PM
Hmm.. two votes for DAK so far.

9mmepiphany, thanks for the input on the night sights. The 4 mags in that particular package is selling me on that, not so much its sights. On the other hand, the DAK only comes with 1 mag... I could always pick up more mags later when I have more money.

I'll probably have to rent a few Sigs to be sure, but keep the opinions coming.

j.primo
09-07-2010, 1:59 PM
I fired both p226 and p229 in .40 s&w. I chose to buy the 229, fitted better in my hand. Love the pistol, no problems. I have the DA/SA. Got it for $750.00 + tax & dros.

ruddogg
09-07-2010, 2:06 PM
I have had a Sig P226 .40s&w for the past 10+ years... nothing else fits my hand better, not HK, Glock, S&W...etc...

I'm looking to add a Sig P229 .40s&w to the family as soon as I sell the HK I just got.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=336229

voiceoftheright
09-07-2010, 3:33 PM
I got the 229 DAK when I really wanted the DA/SA and it has been the best! I really recommend it and the constent pull is amazing. At 30 yards I'm hitting softballs (literally) and it is amazingly accurate and the recoil is so smooth. That's my vote. There probably is a big difference in handling though between the 226 and 229 so go with whatever feels good to you, but a DAK is definitely my opinion.

OneSevenDeuce
09-07-2010, 3:42 PM
Only dry fired a DAK a couple times, but one thing that jumped out at me is how smooth it was. Yeah, the trigger pull was long, but it was smooth enough to make up for a lot of it.

226Rfan
09-07-2010, 5:32 PM
DAK 226

voiceoftheright
09-07-2010, 6:37 PM
Once a round is chambered the DAK pull is noticably less. If you happen to dry fire it without racking the slide then it is somewhat heavy/long, but once a round is in there it is almost "halfcocked" you could say.

Southbay
09-07-2010, 8:12 PM
I have 4 Sigs, the one I enjoy shooting the most is a 229 40 S&W with a DAK trigger.

sp2022
09-07-2010, 8:26 PM
Interesting topic, I heard mix review on the da/sa vs dak, I have yet to shoot one for comparison.

BattlefieldJosh
09-07-2010, 9:17 PM
If you are near Ventura and Go to Shooters Paradise. I will let you shoot my 229 .40 S&W DAK. I love it.

BigDogatPlay
09-07-2010, 9:22 PM
The DAK trigger is a very nice choice, but I went a conventional DA/SA on my P226 .40 duty gun. Mainly I went that way because I had been carrying S&W autos for many years and the DAK was relatively new then. The conversion training from S&W to Sig with DA/SA was a lot quicker.

If I had it to do again, I think I might well go with DAK.

gorenut
09-08-2010, 7:57 AM
I have no experience with DAK Sigs, but I heard you can get the trigger to be pretty smooth.

As far as P226 vs P229.. I owned 2 P226s because I generally favor full-sized pistols and thought it fit my hand perfectly.. until I purchased my SP2022. It just fit way more naturally in my hand and seemed easier to handle (just for reference, I'm 6'2 190 lbs and have hands somewhere in the size of high-medium to low-large). It may not be exactly a P229, but its closer in size to a P229 than a P226. I've sold/traded all my P226s since then. You should definitely try both sizes and figure out what's right for you. Gun comfort/handling in relation to size is definitely more specific to pistol shape because I also own a Ruger GP100 6" and that gun never felt too big at all.

gadjeep
09-08-2010, 10:07 AM
I have no experience with a DAK but I own a 229R in 40sw that is DAO and I really like it. It is currently my HD gun and I love the simplicity and double strike capability.

JohnnyCrash
09-08-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm a student with limited income, so the 4 extra mags had me leaning towards the DA/SA package. I think you guys have helped me decide though.

I think now I'm leaning towards the P226R DAK. I don't necessarily need an accessory rail, so I'm wondering if I can find a P226 DAK without the rail to save a few bucks...

Keep the opinions/experiences coming.

gorenut
09-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Funny you should say that.. in the Sig community, finding a P226 without a rail is worth more to them than with rail. I think retail-wise, the rail makes no price difference.

voiceoftheright
09-08-2010, 1:48 PM
Personally I would go with the rail, I never shoot it with a light on it but for home defense purposes if you ever want to use it your options are kinda limited or your shooting in the dark or with the house lights on (which means they can see you too). Just my take on "home defense guns".

JohnnyCrash
09-08-2010, 4:42 PM
Funny you should say that.. in the Sig community, finding a P226 without a rail is worth more to them than with rail. I think retail-wise, the rail makes no price difference.

Thanks, that's good to know! I guess having a rail handy for the zombie apocalypse is useful hehehe. Speaking of limited options on the rail...

Personally I would go with the rail, I never shoot it with a light on it but for home defense purposes if you ever want to use it your options are kinda limited or your shooting in the dark or with the house lights on (which means they can see you too). Just my take on "home defense guns".

I would feel ridiculous going to the range with a light on my SIG.

I shoot with my buddy a lot and he's got a real nice Colt 1911 .45ACP and he just bought a Beretta 92FS 9mm (it's still in the 10 day doghouse) - if I shot with a flashlight I'd never hear the end of the jokes!

As I mentioned I've got a cheap polymer Smith and Wesson SW40VE. I think I'll keep that in my nightstand and throw a light on it - it's already ugly anyway HAHA! Only problem is the unusual rail size on the SW...

lordofjungle
10-27-2010, 7:49 PM
229 DAK 357 sig/40.

Ranger20
10-27-2010, 9:06 PM
DAK... No question.. Then again I'm biased and doing Dros Saturday on a 357sig 239 DAK

l8apex
10-27-2010, 9:10 PM
I may be in the minority, but I don't prefer the DAK as compared to the DA/SA for Sig. Had the chance to run 500 plus rounds through a DAK, I would choose the HK LEM configuration for a 'similar' platform. However I'd choose neither the DAK/LEM over a striker Smith & Wesson MP or Glock.

If you are decided on the DAK, go with the 229. Perfect size YMMV.