PDA

View Full Version : RIA Compact Problem

Kestryll
09-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Recently I picked up a RIA Compact Tactical 1911, RIA's version of the Officer's ACP. It's a neat little 1911 and I like it a lot however both times I've taken it out to the range it's had the same problem.

The first round or two feed and fire fine but then it starts not going completely in to battery, it hangs up about an eighth of an inch from being fully locked.
The round is roughly 95% in the chamber and gentle pressure on the rear of the slide with my thumb closes the slide all the way and then it fires and extracts just fine.

The first time it did it I thought it might be dirty from the factory so I cleaned the heck out of it with solvent and a toothbrush however yesterday I took it to Angeles and had the same problem.

So far my thoughts are these, either the recoil spring is too light and it doesn't have the *oomph* to finish the cycling process or extractor is snagging as the round loads and slowing the cycle enough that it hangs.

Or it could be something else entirely, anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

Lyte-
09-07-2010, 11:27 AM
I would be interested in finding out the answer as I had plans to purchase one of these also

racky
09-07-2010, 11:33 AM
tag because i'm about to purchase one. :lurk5:

Socom16Fan
09-07-2010, 11:34 AM
I had EXACTLY this problem with my SA Milspec 1911 and filed the sharp edges off the extractor and my RTB issue disapeared. Apparently it was too sharp and digging into the Brass and slowing down the cycle just enough to cause a Failure to RTB.

Took me 10 seconds of light filing

Fjold
09-07-2010, 11:38 AM
You actually went shooting?

You have time for that? :D

vta
09-07-2010, 11:47 AM
are these factory loaded ammo or reloads? if they are reloads, they might need a trip through a factory crimp die. sometimes the flaring opens up the case too much for the taper crimp of the bullet seating die to bring it back to size if the chamber is tight on that RIA barrel.

ojisan
09-07-2010, 12:07 PM
I've cleaned up the RIAs before.
They need the usual 1911 reliability stuff done.
Chamber polish, breechface polish, feed ramp polish, fit and adjust extractor, radius the edge of thefiring pin hole in the breechface if needed.
You know where I live, PM me if you want, I'll make it nice for you.

C.W.M.V.
09-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Hmmm, very strange. Only time I've ever had a problem with my RIA's is when I made some really bad lead reloads. With decent ammo they have beaten out my current Colt and past springfields.
Maybe a magazine issue? If nothing else call em (RIA) and they'll make it right.

9mmepiphany
09-07-2010, 12:22 PM
I think it more likely that it is a combination of the mag and the extractor.

the mag needs to release the cartridge cleanly so the rim can snap under the extractor hook. hesitation on the lips or a slow rising shell combined with a sharp edge or roughness of the extractor hook would be enough to balk the cycle. with the shorter dwell time inherent in the shorter barrel/slide of these models makes this a more critical timing issue. the fact that it feeds the first tow rounds might indicate a weak mag spring

a stronger recoil spring might solve it for a while, but you are then shortening the dwell time further by slowing rearward movement and accelerating the return.

I'd try a different mag that has a proven track record of feeding and checking the extractor for burrs and spec. it might be as simple as an out of spec extractor, you could try switching in a different one if you have one handy

k1dude
09-07-2010, 12:32 PM
I know some RIA owners have had problems with the factory mag (ACT from Italy). If you have some Wilson's or McCormicks laying around, try them. It might solve the problem. My RIA Tactical feeds reliably with any magazine I use including the stock mag.

Kestryll
09-07-2010, 2:23 PM
I had EXACTLY this problem with my SA Milspec 1911 and filed the sharp edges off the extractor and my RTB issue disapeared. Apparently it was too sharp and digging into the Brass and slowing down the cycle just enough to cause a Failure to RTB.

Took me 10 seconds of light filing
That was one of my first thoughts, that the extractor might be hanging up a bit and needed to be smoothed and radiused.
That will probably be one of the first things I try.

You actually went shooting?

You have time for that? :D
On rare occasion, my Wife actually nudged me in to going.
I think she wanted me out of the house! :D

are these factory loaded ammo or reloads? if they are reloads, they might need a trip through a factory crimp die. sometimes the flaring opens up the case too much for the taper crimp of the bullet seating die to bring it back to size if the chamber is tight on that RIA barrel.
This was with Blazer Brass and Armscorp Precision hardball.

I've cleaned up the RIAs before.
They need the usual 1911 reliability stuff done.
Chamber polish, breechface polish, feed ramp polish, fit and adjust extractor, radius the edge of thefiring pin hole in the breechface if needed.
You know where I live, PM me if you want, I'll make it nice for you.
We is likely going to be talking soon Oji! ;)

Hmmm, very strange. Only time I've ever had a problem with my RIA's is when I made some really bad lead reloads. With decent ammo they have beaten out my current Colt and past springfields.
Maybe a magazine issue? If nothing else call em (RIA) and they'll make it right.
I'll have to look when I get home to check my second mag but the primary one is the factory mag. I should have tried it with my eight round Chip McCormick Shooting Stars or Power Mags while I was out at the range.
I have no idea why that didn't occur to me.

JTROKS
09-07-2010, 2:35 PM
If you have some of the fired brass they should have some type of drag or gouge mark from the extractor if that's the case (no pun intended).

M. D. Van Norman
09-07-2010, 5:07 PM
A Wilson Combat magazine seemed to solve a similar problem with mine.

map
09-07-2010, 6:49 PM
I had the same problem with my Springfield Armory Loaded Champion size. It broke in after 500 rounds. I also heard though that 1911's with barrels shorter than 5 in tend to exhibit this issue. Not sure how true that is. Good luck.

kmca
09-07-2010, 9:20 PM
Could be just a tight fit between the bushing and the barrel.

wellfedirishman
09-07-2010, 9:46 PM
I have shot mine with a Wilson Combat mag and it works perfectly with my lead round nose reloads. Try a different mag first, its an easy test. I haven't tried it with the factory mag.

For a short barrel 1911, it groups surprisingly well. Fun little gun.

supermario
09-07-2010, 9:53 PM
Read this thread that i just started myself. It may not answer your specific question on why your having problems, but it will give you an overall look on the compact models.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=4921114&posted=1#post4921114

NiteQwill
09-07-2010, 10:12 PM
I had the same with a 4" Kimber.

I tuned the extractor and replaced the recoil spring (wolf xp spring). Problem was solved.