PDA

View Full Version : Rings and Bolt Clearance

Air
09-07-2010, 11:56 AM
I might be putting the Cart ahead of the horse here, but I have a few questions on Rings and Bolt Clearance.

Rifle in question is my Remington 700 SPS Tactical (.223), which has a Gen II bolt handle modification by R+D Precision and will soon be getting an AICS 2.0. Rifle currently sports a Bushnell 10x40 Tactical with Burris XTR Lows and an EGW 0 MOA base. I plan on upgrading optics, keeping the base.

I'm leaning toward the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50mm (Target Turrets). I'm also researching some of the Nightforce offerings, but I'm fairly convinced I'll end up with the Zeiss as the price is considerably less...That puts me in the 1 inch rings realm. Keep in mind, this is a paper punching gun out to 300 yards.

So, I'm basically concerned with bolt clearance as far as rings are concerned...Considering the bolt knob is larger than the stock one, I'll need to get everything correct...Don't want to have the bolt knob hitting the bell of the scope!

So, I'm thinking High Rings are probably what it's going to take, but I'd like to keep things low as possible...But high rings shouldn't be a problem considering the adjustments in the AICS. Whatcha think? Highs? Mediums?

shooting4life
09-07-2010, 12:40 PM
I would go mediums. I they don't work put you can sell them for most of what you paid for them. Better yet, post a wtb on snipershide and see if you can get a used pair then if they don't work ou toucan sell them for what you paid for them.