PDA

View Full Version : Mom wants to give me a rifle

Havoc70
09-07-2010, 9:41 AM
My mom has a Ruger M77 .270 rifle that she wants to give me as she doesn't shoot it and she and her boyfriend are moving out of the state and traveling the country by RV.

Obviously, I'm not about to turn down a free rifle, but how do I go about doing it within the bounds of the law?

Thanks!

SixPointEight
09-07-2010, 9:42 AM
I believe from your mom, and with a rifle, you'd say thanks and give her a hug.

Sky_DiveR
09-07-2010, 9:49 AM
Immediate intrafamilial transfers are OK with no paperwork, IIRC. I'd say Mother to son is pretty immediate, so you're GTG. Give her a great big hug and a kiss. Don't forget to say, "Thank You!". :thumbsup:

Would your mom like to adopt me? I could use a spare rifle also (or handgun... or BB-gun... or slingshot...). :D

maddoggie13
09-07-2010, 9:49 AM
Great mom...does she have more rifles to give to your calguns' half-brothers?

dieselpower
09-07-2010, 10:00 AM
easy as a "Thank You Mom".

Make sure they have other firearms for protection and researched laws about such before heading off on their great adventure.

Havoc70
09-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Yah, they're up on it. He has a couple of handguns and a shotgun, they're good to go :).

I was hoping it would be that easy.

Guess I'll post a pic of it when I pick it up this weekend :).

vta
09-07-2010, 10:42 AM
what about from a son to his mother? same thing right?

Mssr. Eleganté
09-07-2010, 11:07 AM
what about from a son to his mother? same thing right?

Yes, same thing. This assumes that both parties are residents of California. If one party is a resident of a different State then the transfer has to go through an FFL.

vta
09-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Yes, same thing. This assumes that both parties are residents of California. If one party is a resident of a different State then the transfer has to go through an FFL.

what about father in-law? i suppose it can go from husband to wife first? does that need ffl?

Mssr. Eleganté
09-07-2010, 11:27 AM
what about father in-law? i suppose it can go from husband to wife first? does that need ffl?

Father in law does not count.

If all parties involved are California residents then a transfer from a husband to his wife is exempt from having to go through an FFL and a transfer from a daughter to her father is exempt from having to go through an FFL. But using both of these exempt transfers to avoid having to do a PPT at an FFL with your father in law is a violation of California law.

Fjold
09-07-2010, 11:54 AM
The no paperwork intrafamilial transfer does not apply to handguns.

Turo
09-07-2010, 12:03 PM
The no paperwork intrafamilial transfer does not apply to handguns.

True, but the only thing you need to do different for a handgun is send in the Intrafamilial handgun transfer paper with 19 bucks to the doj after the transfer happens. This is of course only if both parties are CA residents.

rubber duckie
09-07-2010, 12:13 PM
how about some flowers or a dinner in return.. lol

i gave mine a grand son, in return a colt .380.. lol

vta
09-07-2010, 12:14 PM
how about some flowers or a dinner in return..

maybe if she threw in some ammo :)