PDA

View Full Version : Glock 30SF/.45 - Slide stop release works like crap

DannyInSoCal
09-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Picked up the G30SF/.45 and the slide stop release button works like crap.

It doesnt engage very often - And when it does - I need to manhandle it to release.

Worked fine in the store - But now it's "broken and/or stuck".

So much for my first "ez to operate and maintain" Glock.............

Ive found an extended release button - Does anyone else know of an easy fix...?

Thanx, D

Black Majik
09-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Did you or anyone take the detail strip the gun? It sounds like the slidestop was installed incorrectly.

Field strip the gun and look at the slidestop, there's a spring that extends; does it go over or under the trigger pin?

Oceanbob
09-07-2010, 3:19 PM
My new G30 was the same way. Even my strong buffed Son could hardly release the slide...solution: Buy the extended slide release like the one in this photo on my G30. She works great and my 13 year old daughter can drop the slide if she trys. Only about $15 ......get one.

I just got my G29 out of jail and it's the same frame..etc..same problem...I ordered the extended slide release this morning.

You're going to love that Glock 30. Very accurate weapon. Next on the list are some Tru Glo sites.

Bob

http://i38.tinypic.com/2ahd4qq.jpg

Oceanbob
09-07-2010, 3:21 PM
Hey Danny..I see you are close by...if you do get that extended slide release you're welcome to borrow my glock tool to change it.
Bob

OneSevenDeuce
09-07-2010, 4:34 PM
That's how Glocks are when they are new. Shoot it a bit and it will loosen up that recoil spring. The slide stop sucks in general but it gets better as it is worn it. I just slingshot the slide back on all my pistols anyway so it hasn't been an issue.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
09-07-2010, 6:04 PM
Did you or anyone take the detail strip the gun? It sounds like the slidestop was installed incorrectly.

Field strip the gun and look at the slidestop, there's a spring that extends; does it go over or under the triggerlocking block pin?

It's unlikely that the spring could be lodged under the trigger pin (the lower of the two pins above the trigger). It's possible that the spring could be lodged above the locking block pin, especially if disassembled/reassembled by an untrained person who inserted the slide stop and trigger pin before inserting the locking block pin. However, when that happens, the spring rising and lodging above the locking block pin most often causes the slide stop to engage after every shot. Doesn't sound like what's going on here. It's certainly possible that the spring could have been bent or damaged so that the slide stop is prevented from moving normally.

Either way, you can check whether the slide stop is correctly installed.

Field strip the pistol. Place the frame on its right side on a padded surface.

Using a Glock tool or an appropriately sized punch, press the trigger pin (the larger one just above the trigger) while wiggling the slide stop. No hammers allowed, and it might take a great deal of patience. When the pin has started out, pick up the frame and finish pressing the pin out.

Remove the slide stop. It should look something like this:

http://www.triggeraction.com/TA/images/GLSP01802_1.jpg

If you can't get the slide stop out by wiggling it, as a last resort you can press the locking block pin out from left to right. Do this carefully and slowly as if the spring isn't damaged, you could damage it by doing this.

If the spring is bent, kinked or broken, replace the slide stop.

If not, inspect the slide stop and the frame for anything else that might cause the problem.

To reinstall the old stop (if undamaged) or a new stop:

If you did remove the locking block pin, insert it before inserting the slide stop.

Insert the end of the stop with the hole into the slot along the left side of the trigger (as viewed from above with the forward end of the frame facing away). Turn the frame so that you're looking at the left side. Look through the trigger pin hole and align the trigger (usually it lines up by itself) and the slide stop hole with the pin hole in the frame.

Insert the trigger pin from the right side of the frame. Press it until it locks into position on the slide stop. Both ends will be slightly recessed in the hole. Press on the left end of the pin to be sure it's locked.

Reassemble the pistol and check slide stop operation.

Quiet
09-07-2010, 6:20 PM
According to Glock...
It's a slide stop, not a slide release.
In order to release the slide, you are suppose to sling shot the slide and not use the slide stop.

Corbin Dallas
09-07-2010, 6:55 PM
Picked up the G30SF/.45 and the slide stop release button works like crap.

It doesnt engage very often - And when it does - I need to manhandle it to release.

Worked fine in the store - But now it's "broken and/or stuck".

So much for my first "ez to operate and maintain" Glock.............

Ive found an extended release button - Does anyone else know of an easy fix...?

Thanx, D

The slide release is the device that keeps the slide on the frame.

The slide stop is the lever on the side of the firearm that when engaged the slide will lock to the rear.

The proper way to release the slide from slide lock is with the slingshot method. There are other schools of thought, but this is the most reliable way to charge your firearm after a reload from slidelock.

Left or right handed, doesn't matter. Hand over the top of the firearm behind the ejection port, pull back towards your heart and let go.

You'll never have another problem with the slide stop again.

DannyInSoCal
09-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Hey Danny..I see you are close by...if you do get that extended slide release you're welcome to borrow my glock tool to change it.
Bob

Thanx Bob - I'll bring the beer...

rgs1975
09-08-2010, 1:58 PM
According to Glock...
It's a slide stop, not a slide release.
In order to release the slide, you are suppose to sling shot the slide and not use the slide stop.

Bingo, we have a winner.