PDA

View Full Version : Need tips/advice on cleaning rifle from using CORROSIVE AMMO.

b00gym4n
09-06-2010, 8:57 PM
I've been using Hoppes 9 solvent to clean my AK. I have a brand spanking new Arsenal SGL21 and I've only used it once so far with some Yugo Mil Surplus corrosive ammo. I literally took like 2 hours to clean every detail of the rifle, but I still feel that I left some behind and I'm a worried about rust spots.

What do you use to clean your rifles when using corrosive ammo? Someone suggested water. Any advice/tips would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Also how well do you have to clean it? I mean does it have to be spotless?

b00gym4n
09-06-2010, 9:23 PM
Would it be a bad idea to pour hot boiling water in my ak where the trigger is before cleaning? -_-

mif_slim
09-06-2010, 9:26 PM
use soapy water ad run thru the barrel a few times. scrub it with a swap on the tip and do it again a few times them dry off and clean as usual.

SammyL
09-06-2010, 9:31 PM
Spray it down with windex after you're done at the range and then wipe it dry. That will neutralize the corrosives left in your rifle from the ammo. I use the same yugo mil surp in my saiga. After you get home just clean it like you normally would with any other firearm.

SJgunguy24
09-06-2010, 9:33 PM
Would it be a bad idea to pour hot boiling water in my ak where the trigger is before cleaning? -_-
Nope and that's what I do anytime I shoot corrosive ammo. I use a bit of dish soap also.

use soapy water ad run thru the barrel a few times. scrub it with a swap on the tip and do it again a few times them dry off and clean as usual.

And don't forget the bolt face. Anything that comes into contact with the gases can have the corrosive salts deposited on it. In an AK, that would be the gas block, gas tube, and piston.

b00gym4n
09-06-2010, 9:37 PM
Awesome thanks. I just checked my barrel with a Q-tip and it had picked up some green liquid.. ??? Weird. I'm going to wash this bad boy down again. Thanks.

SJgunguy24
09-06-2010, 9:40 PM
Awesome thanks. I just checked my barrel with a Q-tip and it had picked up some green liquid.. ??? Weird. I'm going to wash this bad boy down again. Thanks.

Copper turns green when it corrodes, in my trade (Sheet Metal worker) we call that the patina.

Don't waste the money with the Windex, just hot soapy water. The Windex just makes a convenient way to carry some water.

valleyrat
09-06-2010, 9:44 PM
Hot water works great. Also, if I'm in a hurry and do not foresee cleaning in a timely manner 10 rounds of non corrosive down the pipe will burn most of the salts away.

Mac Attack
09-06-2010, 9:46 PM
The corrosive aspect of the round is in the primer so be sure to clean the bolt or bolt face.

I normally don't worry about cleaning my rifle at the range after shooting corrosive ammo. When get home i remove the bolt, put a empty case into the chamber and fill the barrel with a lubrication/penetration oil i bought at Home Depot and let it sit over night. I then wipe down all the gas works and bolt with CLP and let it sit overnight. The next day i use Hopped #9 to clean all pats.

I am however done with shooting corrosive ammo and no longer purchase any if i can help it.

09-06-2010, 9:51 PM
Remember that the salty residue is reactive with moisture or water. Moisture buildup with salt residue from primers can accelerate the problem.

If you use water to wash the salty residue, make sure that you have all components dried thoroughly and oiled properly. You'd have a worst problem if you don't have all water removed, specially in the gas system.

IronColt
09-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Spray it down with windex after you're done at the range and then wipe it dry. That will neutralize the corrosives left in your rifle from the ammo. I use the same yugo mil surp in my saiga. After you get home just clean it like you normally would with any other firearm.

yeah a small spray bottle with pointed nozzle will do.

Solidsnake87
09-06-2010, 10:46 PM
I made a huge thread on cleaning gas guns after corrosive ammo. Look through my threads or search for it :) I go into great depth on the AK.

Scott Connors
09-06-2010, 11:32 PM
IIRC Shooter's Choice bore cleaner neutralizes the corrosive salts. It's been sometime since I fired corrosive ammo, but when I did this is what I used (once my stock of old GI Rifle Bore Cleaner, the stuff that came in the little tins) and I never experienced problems.

Scott Connors
09-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Remember that the salty residue is reactive with moisture or water. Moisture buildup with salt residue from primers can accelerate the problem.

If you use water to wash the salty residue, make sure that you have all components dried thoroughly and oiled properly. You'd have a worst problem if you don't have all water removed, specially in the gas system.

Boiling water poured through a funnel down the muzzle from the chamber will evaporate almost immediately and dissolve any corrosive salts. Following this with a liberal spray of WD40 (which is hydrophobic) and then wiping it down will take care of any stray drops.

Jayruta
09-07-2010, 12:13 AM
I just rinse everything down with Hot Water with a little bit of dish soap. Run it through the barrel, Gas tube, and trigger area, while soaking the bolt, piston, and spring as well.

After that added step, I just continue my regular cleaning/oiling regimen. Do this every time after shooting surplus and you will never have a problem.

johnthomas
09-07-2010, 12:21 AM
After using water on my guns, I use the hand held hair dryer, it gets places you can't see. Then I oil the gun. I don't use WD or oil like it, it can take the blue off of the gun.

saki302
09-07-2010, 7:09 AM
I've never had an issue with WD40 affecting bluing on any of my guns.. maybe it will strip cold blue, but that's not a professional finish :D

It works exactly as advetised though- it's an excellent water displacing product.

-Dave

smle-man
09-07-2010, 8:56 AM
I use the white GI bore cleaner from WW2. I bought a case of it several years ago and have just finished the first can. Be sure to wear gloves when using it. A guy is selling the stuff on Gunboards.com on the classifieds.

sd_shooter
09-07-2010, 8:57 AM
All I shoot is corrosive ammo. Why? It's dirt cheap and so am I :D

For an AK, I pour hot water on the following parts:
- Bore
- Gas tube
- Piston

I swab the bolt face with a patch soaked in Windex.

Then clean as normal. The hot water evaporates by the time I'm done and doesn't leave any residue or rusty spots. The only special step I take is to spray WD40 into the muzzle brake on my AK74 since water drops can stay stuck in there.

Anyway, the entire cleaning only takes ~10-15 minutes, and that's with my kids standing around asking 20 questions about my range trip :D

doc1buc
09-07-2010, 8:59 AM
I have one of those mini stteamer cleaners and it has a 90 degree nozzle. I jam that nozzle down the breach with the muzzle down and let her rip. Clean as normal after.