PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SP101 problem

ArmednReady
09-06-2010, 8:03 PM
So my SP101 is about 4 months old and I maybe have only 50 rounds through it, I was at the range the other day and I noticed when I unloaded it and tilted it back with the cylinder open and spun it was rubbing or grinding against the frame. It shoots fine and works like it should I have had no problems with the gun, so my question is....is that rubbing a problem? or can it become one? It only rubs when the cylinder is swung out and the gun is tilted back (when the barrel is pointing upwards) other than that the cylinder spins normally and the gun is flawless. Any serious input would be appreciated.

RTE
09-06-2010, 8:23 PM
http://gunshowonthenet.com/Gun_Manuals/Gun_Manuals5/Ruger_SP101.pdf

Page 33 has the parts list

50rds :eek: You shouldn't have an issue (but you knew that)

Both my 100's are tight,but check out the arm (KW00812A) where the cylinder rides and the arm into the frame for excess play.

redcliff
09-06-2010, 8:26 PM
I dont have a Ruger revolver, but Smith and Wessons have a frame lug that is there to prevent the cylinder from moving too far rearward when the cylinder is unlatched.

Proper way to reload a da revolver is to reach through the frame with the middle two fingers of your left hand and control the cylinder with your fingers and left hand thumb as you swing out the cylinder, point the barrel upwards and push the extractor rod with your left thumb, then reload with your right hand. There is no good reason to spin the cylinder rapidly while having the cylinder open, and letting it flop can damage the crane of the revolver. And please don't spin the cylinder and flick it closed :)

Heres some good revolver shooting for your enjoyment; notice Jerry reloads with his right hand while controlling the cylinder with his left hand:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsLx5ISBXw4

map
09-06-2010, 8:33 PM
Just curious, did you get that one from Turners? It was on sale for like $489.

ojisan
09-06-2010, 8:40 PM
I just checked mine, yup, it does it too.
This little nub that keeps the open cylinder in line with the frame window can be seen on many revolver designs.
It also helps support the open cylinder when the ejector rod is being pushed hard, this reduces the chance of bending the crane.
All is well and as it should be.
I guess you could polish the surface so it rubs smoothly.
I'd leave it alone.

And before you ask, yes, the ejector rod does rattle and move a bit and this is also normal.

BlackDrop50
09-06-2010, 8:40 PM
No, that's just how it's made.

ArmednReady
09-06-2010, 11:52 PM
No I didnt get it from turners I dont eve know where that is at, also mine was brand new...Well I didnt really think anything was wrong with it because like I said it works perfectly I havent had any issues or problems with it at all its probably the best revolver ive ever owned. Im just a paranoid guy and I dont want any of my guns acting up.

Legasat
09-07-2010, 8:11 AM
If you have any doubts, contact Ruger. They will fix any problems for you.

I have had the grand-daddy of the SP101 (Security Six) since the early 80's. Never a problem, and it has been through he11.