PDA

View Full Version : Calling ALL owners of Bobtailed 1911's!!! Help!?!?

jlh95811
09-06-2010, 7:35 PM
I have a CBOB. Many folks have a bobtailed 1911. They are especially great for CCW.
Here's the thing...
Crimson Trace has not made a laser grip cut for them. They keep telling me, and others I've read post about, that there is not enough demand. They will only do it if they start to see a market for it.
So PLEASE...
If you own a bobtailed 1911 or even if you don't...
PLEASE follow this link http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Support/RequestNewModels/tabid/170/Default.aspx and request that they make one. It will only take a minute of your time and you'd be helping a lot of folks out.
Thank you SO much.

redcliff
09-06-2010, 7:46 PM
Submitted it for ya. I like lasers and have a CBOB also.

Snapping Twig
09-06-2010, 8:39 PM
Another CBOB owner here.

Not into electrics on a firearm, but I'll fill out the link for you.

morfeeis
09-06-2010, 9:05 PM
filled it out but i dont own a 1911 yet but hope it helps.......

Greg-Dawg
09-06-2010, 9:47 PM
What's CBOB?

jlh95811
09-06-2010, 9:50 PM
What's CBOB?

It's short for either:
Classic Bobtail
or
Commander Bobtail
In reality it is both.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1472/dwcbob01smxs0.jpg

Sam
09-06-2010, 11:19 PM
I filled it out. A bobtailed Wilson Professional with Crimson Trace grips would be a great combination.

faterikcartman
09-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Man, I have the same piece, but I just don't think the laser grips are the answer to anything. Light yes, laser without a light, however, and I'm not so sure.

jlh95811
09-07-2010, 12:17 AM
Man, I have the same piece, but I just don't think the laser grips are the answer to anything. Light yes, laser without a light, however, and I'm not so sure.

Hopefully you fill it out anyway. It's more about the OPTION than the want/need. I know for a fact that I'd buy them though. I'm not so sure about the lasermax guide rod as it may affect the function. So if Crimson Trace get's this done I will buy a set OR two.

To all others who filled it out:
Thank you so much! Please keep this going. :cool:

slick_711
09-07-2010, 2:01 AM
I'm a big fan of bobtail 1911s. I don't own one yet as I have other priorities and the 1911s already outnumber other things in my safe.

That said, I refuse to fill out this request and aid your cause because laser grips do not belong on a 1911. You want a laser sight, get a Sig or a Glock. 1911s are designed only for use with iron sights. Your grips should be fancy, expensive, and batteryless. No rubber, no finger grooves, no lasers, no BS. :chris:

jlh95811
09-07-2010, 3:28 AM
I'm a big fan of bobtail 1911s. I don't own one yet as I have other priorities and the 1911s already outnumber other things in my safe.

That said, I refuse to fill out this request and aid your cause because laser grips do not belong on a 1911. You want a laser sight, get a Sig or a Glock. 1911s are designed only for use with iron sights. Your grips should be fancy, expensive, and batteryless. No rubber, no finger grooves, no lasers, no BS. :chris:

I don't know exactly how to respond. That's pretty rude the way you put it. Everyone has an opinion. I think it'd be great to have a laser for that close shot when you don't have time to use your sights.
Just because you think they don't belong does not mean you have to be mean about it. It probably would have been better if you had posted nothing at all. "If you don't have anything nice to say..." ... ahh forget it.

deadlyapp
09-07-2010, 3:50 AM
I don't know exactly how to respond. That's pretty rude the way you put it. Everyone has an opinion. I think it'd be great to have a laser for that close shot when you don't have time to use your sights.
Just because you think they don't belong does not mean you have to be mean about it. It probably would have been better if you had posted nothing at all. "If you don't have anything nice to say..." ... ahh forget it.

I think he was being sarcastic...

jlh95811
09-07-2010, 3:54 AM
I think he was being sarcastic...

I highly doubt it. If he was then I will surely apologize for my misunderstanding. IIRC I was a vote go to option #3 at or near the same time as the post was made.

Havoc70
09-07-2010, 4:26 AM
I doubt I'll ever own a bobtail 1911, however, you should be able to do what you want with your pistol. I submitted one for ya :).

Legasat
09-07-2010, 8:08 AM
It's not on the roster, but as soon as CGF toasts that d@mn roster, I want a Dan Wesson Guardian, so I filled it out.

Sam
09-07-2010, 10:46 AM
It's not on the roster, but as soon as toast that d@mn roster, I want a Dan Wesson Guardian, so I filled it out.

You sir, have excellent taste.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
09-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Don't have any use for bobtailed 1911s but filled it out anyway...

Corbin Dallas
09-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Sorry, I own a CBOB and will never put laser sights on it. Ever.

benbangui
09-07-2010, 12:31 PM
going to cbob mine soon, and filled one out for ya.

CHS
09-07-2010, 1:01 PM
Why don't you just buy commander-sized grips and trip the backs off them?

benbangui
09-07-2010, 1:33 PM

isnt a commander size same frame size? just shorter barrel and slide?

officer is the smaller frame size.
i have heard of people cliping them and since there are electronics inside, its hollow...

im not possitive on this but i think thats right...

i guess you could just fill the hollow with epoxi or something but that would look retarded...

jlh95811
09-07-2010, 1:35 PM

I'm guessing you meant TRIM the backs...
The internals run too close to do it safely. The grips are hollow back there. The warranty would be voided.

isnt a commander size same frame size? just shorter barrel and slide?

officer is the smaller frame size.
i have heard of people cliping them and since there are electronics inside, its hollow...

im not possitive on this but i think thats right...

i guess you could just fill the hollow with epoxi or something but that would look retarded...

Beat me to it. ;)

CHS
09-07-2010, 2:50 PM
Looks like it would be very easy to just trim them based on these photo's:
http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Support/Installation/tabid/164/Default.aspx

Not much underneath the batteries resembling electronics.

Andy Taylor
09-07-2010, 2:51 PM
I have not filled out the request. I will not fill it out, not because I do not wish to help a fellow Calgunner, but because I do not wish to harm a bussiness in the firearms industry.

If I sent a request asking for such a product and say that I will, or even might, buy such a product, it would be a lie, plain and simple.

If CT made that product based on false claims by potential customers that they would infact purchase such an item, and you were the only one who did, it could hurt them financially.

Businesses have formulas to figure out how many of an item will sell based on requests. They know that each requests actually means X number of people are interested in said product.

Lets say that X=10, just to make math simple. We stuff the box with 100 "fake" requests. They think there are 1000 people interested. when in fact only 10 really are.

I will not put the company in that position.

jlh95811
09-07-2010, 3:05 PM
I have not filled out the request. I will not fill it out, not because I do not wish to help a fellow Calgunner, but because I do not wish to harm a bussiness in the firearms industry.

If I sent a request asking for such a product and say that I will, or even might, buy such a product, it would be a lie, plain and simple.

If CT made that product based on false claims by potential customers that they would infact purchase such an item, and you were the only one who did, it could hurt them financially.

Businesses have formulas to figure out how many of an item will sell based on requests. They know that each requests actually means X number of people are interested in said product.

Lets say that X=10, just to make math simple. We stuff the box with 100 "fake" requests. They think there are 1000 people interested. when in fact only 10 really are.

I will not put the company in that position.

I considered that but I think that there are far more people than they think that will purchase the grips. I have a feeling there are many who don't push the issue. They see it is not available and leave it at that. I'm trying to make up for all the folks who will buy them just because they can. You know, the folks who buy impulsively. They see it; They want it; They buy it. But many of them do not seek out such things.

benbangui
09-07-2010, 3:06 PM
like i said, there will be a lil hole... you could fill it i guess...

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz1/benbangui/100_0734.jpg
http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz1/benbangui/100_0730.jpg

benbangui
09-07-2010, 3:15 PM
I considered that but I think that there are far more people than they think that will purchase the grips. I have a feeling there are many who don't push the issue. They see it is not available and leave it at that. I'm trying to make up for all the folks who will buy them just because they can. You know, the folks who buy impulsively. They see it; They want it; They buy it. But many of them do not seek out such things.

and i fit exactly into that catagory. i was looking for them at one time and couldnt find any. so i gave up. didnt know i could give suggestions like in the link. so thanks.

one day they will have em

jlh95811
09-07-2010, 6:18 PM
Thanks for the pic benbangui. I may undertake such a project in the furture if there is nothing available.

LibertySympathizer
09-07-2010, 9:28 PM
I feel for you.

Crimson Trace has been really ticking me off lately.

I'm on their mailing list and they send out a notification when they announce a new model.

The last couple have started out kinda like:
"Crimson Trace is pleased to announce new laser grips for the very popular XYZ.."
The very popular handgun in question have been for items on the market for like a month. So you are telling me that a handgun that has been available for less than say a year has more market share than any of my other pistols that have been made for years?
So I have to scrap perfectly good guns I enjoy, and go out and buy a brand new pistol so I can use your dang product.

I think it is smart for a company such as Ruger to pay or subsidize the development for Crimson Trace, but please don't insult me with those announcements. Tell it like it is:
"Crimson Trace is pleased to have accepted the bribe from XYZ..err we mean, pleased to have partnered with XYZ to offer new laser grips for their new ABC pistol"

Sorry, major peeved mode off.

jlh95811
09-10-2010, 4:47 PM
Thank you all so much. I appreciate the effort especially those of you who did it just to help others. Hopefully they take notice and make it happen. I'd hate to have to modify a set and void the warranty.

Boots45acp
09-15-2010, 1:25 PM
I own a Dan Wesson CBOB (2010 model) and filled out the request form.
(Not interested in putting CT's on it however)

However, I am also planning on bobtailing one of my Kimbers which I WOULD put them on in the future if they were available.
I currently have CT's on 4 of my current handguns.......

chickenfried
09-15-2010, 1:31 PM
Sorry can't do it. IMHO Kinda a dick move to fill out a request if you have no intention of buying the item you're requesting.