PDA

View Full Version : Midlength gas system on 14.5in barrel?

thefiringline
09-06-2010, 7:27 PM
I want to build another 14.5 upper and was thinking about slapping a mid-length or rifle-length MOE handguard on it. I like the Quickflip FFSP sightblock I have on my current 14.5in upper, so I want to keep that idea.

Of course, a carbine-length gas system on such a long handguard wouldn't work with this front sight, so I wanna know if you guys think I should run into any problems or should I go with a switchblock.

Furthermore, I wanna know if having a mid length gas system on a short barrel like that is going to be inefficient. Thoughts?

Thanks.

vta
09-06-2010, 7:47 PM
your biggest problem will be getting a moe hand guard in anything besides carbine... if you know where you can get one, let me know.

vandal
09-06-2010, 7:54 PM
Midlength MOEs are due out this month and that's what's going on my 14.5 middy!

vta
09-06-2010, 7:59 PM
Midlength MOEs are due out this month and that's what's going on my 14.5 middy!

(^that's me holding my breath.)

RRichie09
09-07-2010, 12:13 AM
I want to build another 14.5 upper and was thinking about slapping a mid-length or rifle-length MOE handguard on it. I like the Quickflip FFSP sightblock I have on my current 14.5in upper, so I want to keep that idea.

Of course, a carbine-length gas system on such a long handguard wouldn't work with this front sight, so I wanna know if you guys think I should run into any problems or should I go with a switchblock.

Furthermore, I wanna know if having a mid length gas system on a short barrel like that is going to be inefficient. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Don't you need a delta ring and FSB to install the MOE handguards? You make it sound like the MOE Handguards are free floats.

Am I missing something? I've never seen a set of MOE handguards in person before.

civilsnake
09-07-2010, 6:51 AM
Don't you need a delta ring and FSB to install the MOE handguards? You make it sound like the MOE Handguards are free floats.

Am I missing something? I've never seen a set of MOE handguards in person before.

I guess he could replace his gas block with a lopro one and move his flipup sight out to the midlength position just to serve as a sight and mounting point for the MOE without actually being attached to a gas tube?

RRichie09
09-07-2010, 3:38 PM
I guess he could replace his gas block with a lopro one and move his flipup sight out to the midlength position just to serve as a sight and mounting point for the MOE without actually being attached to a gas tube?

You can mount the MOE to a railed gas block? I thought you needed the standard FSB.

NeoWeird
09-07-2010, 3:58 PM
Can and Should are two different things. I can't see why you couldn't put the appropriate cup on before putting on a railed gas block on and use regular handguards. I'd be more cautious about the attachment method of the block when using something that puts pressure on it, like handguards or accesories mounts, etc. However there are several methods that I see no reason why they couldn't work if done properly.